Oct. 14th, 2006 - St Petersburg, FL
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

vilainde
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2006 :  02:31:08  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
http://www.statemedia.com/

Tickets requests, setlists, reviews... please post here.

Denis

scruvs
= Cult of Ray =

353 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2006 :  13:04:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just about a week away. I got me a ticket, it means everything.

I missed most of his acoustic set before the show. I was under the impression some hip-hop comedy guy was performing before FB went on, and I wasn't too interested in seeing that. I gambled, and I lost.

I think he played about 6 or so songs in that first acoustic set.

Los Angeles
Cactus
Wave of Mutilation
My Life in Storage*
Shrimp*

* Confirmed. I heard these.

Dead Man's Curve and 666 rocked.

Edited by - scruvs on 10/14/2006 22:29:47
Go to Top of Page

OldManInaCoffeeCan
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1467 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2006 :  17:51:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Nathan, I hope you've rested-up and dried-out for the show tomorrow night!

That way you can stay up late and drink plenty of PBR & shots of Jack, huh...

how 'bout duplicating that post-show drinking bout you had with LUCERO in San Fran?...I bet
The Man could go toe-to-toe with you for a couple of hours anyway

While waiting for "Schwarma", I joined the "Cult of System of a Down", Huh...
Go to Top of Page

scruvs
= Cult of Ray =

353 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2006 :  12:54:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just woke up and well rested. I can't wait.

fbforever
- FB Fan -

USA
30 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2006 :  23:37:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We were hanging outside and saw Billy Block who said Frank is opening for himself as
there was a mixup and Kentucky Prophet was not opening, unbelievable news for us.

acoustic set list ( not sure of order, he had 19 songs on the setlist i took a shot of )

los angeles
my life is in storage
cactus
massif centrale
goodbye lorraine
the water
song of the shrimp
california bound
Go to Top of Page

number 13
= Cult of Ray =

286 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2006 :  01:42:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've seen "Dog" on the setlist. Was it Dog Gone or Dog In The Sand?
Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2006 :  02:48:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great pics, scruvs.

Go to Top of Page

Ziggy
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
2411 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2006 :  05:06:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is that the first time 'All My Ghosts' has been added to the band setlist?
Go to Top of Page

two reelers
* Dog in the Sand *

Austria
1018 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2006 :  06:10:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scruvs

Just about a week away. I got me a ticket, it means everything.

I missed most of his acoustic set before the show. I was under the impression some hip-hop comedy guy was performing before FB went on, and I wasn't too interested in seeing that. I gambled, and I lost.

I think he played about 6 or so songs in that first acoustic set.

Los Angeles
Cactus
Wave of Mutilation
My Life in Storage*
Shrimp*

* Confirmed. I heard these.

Dead Man's Curve and 666 rocked.

hey scruvs, were you wearing the FB shirt ?

i hope so much that this tour will be continued over here....

I joined the cult of Souled American / 'cause they are a damn' fine band
Go to Top of Page

Czar
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
321 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2006 :  06:27:35  Show Profile  Visit Czar's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hmmm... "Ghosts" on this one. Yeah!
Go to Top of Page

silverstrings
- FB Fan -

4 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2006 :  08:05:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm pretty sure that's the first time Ghosts has been played. It was pretty cool watching Billy Block get a couple of signals from EDF during the beginning of it, and then once he found his groove he just wailed throughout it with a gigantic smile. He's definitely got an infectious sense of energy. I too had no idea that FB was going to do a solo acoustic set, so I showed up and ran in right in the middle of some stage banter. He was very talkative during the acoustic set, making fun of "that frank black guy" and his choice of mic stands "a straight one looks cooler". Definitely a great show with lots of good energy. The only crowd idiot I saw was some guy that showed up about half way through and kept yelling for "whiskey in my shoes!" He proceeded to get drunk and sweaty, then move away somewhere else, thankfully. Definitely one of the better shows I've seen at the State Theatre. Bonus of the night? Scoring a $10 ticket right outside the entrance. Whoever that was, you rule. Thank you.
Go to Top of Page

fbforever
- FB Fan -

USA
30 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2006 :  08:52:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
it was dog gone, i got to ask Billy if that was the first time they had played All My Ghosts and he said yeah we just tried it during sound check so we did it tonight. Also asked him how many songs they have rehearsed for this tour and he said 30. He also told us they recorded Dead Man's Curve in Houston a few days back at a studio Billy worked at with Fredy Fender, who FB dedicated Dead Man's Curve to last night.
Go to Top of Page

houstonguthrie
- FB Fan -

187 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2006 :  09:08:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Unbelievable - we missed the opening act too!! We found out about it after the show talking to some people at the coffee shop and were kicking ourselves. We thought we had timed it perfectly when we arrived, got one drink, and out he came with the band.

Anyhow - when they came out they were ROCKING!!! 3 rockers right off the bat - bam bam bam. The new band sounded incredible. This was my girlfriends first time to see him - and she is very much the rocker and hates folk/country. So I was concerned that with the Nashville band it was going to lean that way and she wouldn't get to see him in full rocking form like from the Catholics days. That was the absolute last thing I needed to worry about - they rocked and rocked hard.

The band sounded so good - that even on the 2 or 3 songs that I personally would not have picked - they sounded awesome and made me rethink those tunes - like I want to go back and revisit them now.

Frank never dissapoints
Go to Top of Page

houstonguthrie
- FB Fan -

187 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2006 :  09:27:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh Yeah - and Dead Man's Curve was absolutely as powerful as anything I've heard him play. Put it right next to the first time I heard Debaser.

I've been rocking out to the acoustic version from the podcast and earlier yesterday I was thinking - "I'll bet that tune would rock with a full band". Well - it was explosive.

The song has a historical connection for Frank and the drummer Billy, wo was one of Freddy Fender's former drummer. Well earlier in the week, they recorded the track in Houston , in the same studio that Freddy had done alot of recordings in and Freddy passed away on saturday.

Frank dedicated the song before he played it, which is cool to see a master songwriting dynamo such a frank, acknowledging another influential artist.
Go to Top of Page

OldManInaCoffeeCan
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1467 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2006 :  09:50:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maybe the Houston session will turn up as a single or b-side...catchy cuplet, huh,..

Here's 2 minutes of dmc from the Memphis show that someone posted in that thread

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ixh5nRgonf0
Go to Top of Page

OldManInaCoffeeCan
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1467 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2006 :  10:11:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Freddy Fender died Saturday, October 14th.

http://tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061015/OBITS/610150369/1090
Go to Top of Page

scruvs
= Cult of Ray =

353 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2006 :  11:21:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All My Ghosts is fun to hear live. By the end the whole crowd is singing along, "Oh oh oh oh." People seemed to like singing along to "I'm not dead, I'm in Pittsburg," so that was fun, too.

Lots of dancing going on near the front of the stage. Some drunken stupor, but I like that. It's a rock show.

2 Free Atlanta tickets were passed around the crowd from the guy next to me, but unfortunately I couldn't make the drive to Monday's show.

OldManInaCoffeeCan
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1467 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2006 :  11:31:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
nice pics, any video?
Go to Top of Page

scruvs
= Cult of Ray =

353 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2006 :  11:58:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
not this time, coffeecan. I was having too much fun singing and dancing to want to stop and hold still for the camera.

sorry.

Edited by - scruvs on 10/15/2006 11:58:41
Go to Top of Page

OldManInaCoffeeCan
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1467 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2006 :  14:59:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hey no problem, those videos you posted from the San Fran
show in March are great. I just watched Bullet again.
Go to Top of Page

Ziggy
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
2411 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2006 :  16:00:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, they're very watchable.
Go to Top of Page

Erebus
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1834 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2006 :  20:51:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey, folks that missed parts of that acoustic opener, self-chastise not, but you do offer a lesson for the rest of us. Never know what's gonna go down with a Frank gig. Talent all over the place when Frank comes to town. I'm like you guys that missed out. A few years ago I showed up at the ticket-stated time for a Liz Phair show and managed to catch only the last song and a half of the opener, Charlotte Martin. It was a four act show, so I did get 3.1 acts, but you know, Ms. Martin was hot and had the goods, so I coulda kicked myself then and now. It's cool to be "fashionably late" but not so uncool to lollygag about for a beer early. A lesson I learned, late. Funny thing about lessons.

Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2006 :  07:09:09  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by OldManInaCoffeeCan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ixh5nRgonf0

the Can rides the Tube. Match made in heaven.
Go to Top of Page

dave b
- FB Fan -

1 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2006 :  20:45:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey silver strings, that was my boy wo sold you the ticket right out front, so glad we got there early!!!! great show!!! Drove down from JAX enjoyed
Go to Top of Page

FetaD
- FB Fan -

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2006 :  22:22:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That was my first Frank Black show! I was lucky to find out before hand that Frank was opening for himself so I saw the entire opening set as well. Wish I could provide pictures but my digital camera batteries died when I tried to take the first photo. I was able to get a set list after the show though. My favorite moments were probably Re-Make/Re-Model, 666, and Joy. I also loved the re-arrangents that he did during the opening set. I'm not sure if rearrangement is the proper word but he didn't sing in the same meter that the songs were recorded. They were jacked up like Dylan does live and its difficult to sing along. It felt spontaneaous and relaxed. Very fun. 8 songs acoustically and 22 songs with the band?! Definitely got my money's worth.

1 Ghosts
2 Re-Make
3 Soul
4 Calistan
5 World
6 Bullet
7 Burn
8 Headache
9 Pittsburgh
10 Swimmer
11 Suffering
12 Johnny
13 Blue
14 666
---------
15 Terrible
16 Gyaneshwar
17 Raider
18 Horrible
19 Dog
20 Nadine
21 Curve
----------
22 Joy

Since when they did they stop allowing smoking at the State? That place was the cleanest I've seen in the past 8 years.

The Greek
Go to Top of Page

edward897
- FB Fan -

80 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2006 :  17:21:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This show was my 13th FB show since 1999. This band isn't nearly as tight as the Catholics. They played the songs well, especially the ones from the last two records. But most of these songs are Cathloic compositions and they just didn't sound the same. I would love to see a show near the end of this tour to see this band after they have a chance to gel. I loved the show and there is no other band I'd would have rather see right now but it wasn't the same. There is no way to replace Rich Gilbert.

Ed
Go to Top of Page

scruvs
= Cult of Ray =

353 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2006 :  23:50:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've only seen FB perform since I saw the Pixies start their reunion tour at Coachella in 200?. Since then, I've probably seen 4 or 5 Pixies shows in California and the 2 Cafe Du Nord solo shows. This show was probably my second favorite show behind a magical show on a beautiful night in Berkeley at Greek Theater. It might not compare to the Catholics shows of the past, I dunno, but there's something great about FB playing post-pixies tunes with guitars and drums and screams that are loud enough to allow the crowd to sing along and dance and be obnoxious. People can sing along as loud as bonedry does and it doesn't take anything away.

The point: if you get to see a show on this tour, while it may not be as intimate as a solo show, in my opinion, it could be one of the best of the last few years.

Enjoy the show.

silverstrings
- FB Fan -

4 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2006 :  19:01:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dave b

Hey silver strings, that was my boy wo sold you the ticket right out front, so glad we got there early!!!! great show!!! Drove down from JAX enjoyed

Haha! Too cool!! I wish I would've seen this post earlier.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000