Islands - Return to the Sea
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2006 :  08:40:51  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Has anybody else out there been really digging this album? Probably if you couldn't get around the vocals in the Unicorns, you aren't, but it is poppy greatness. Not straight up by any means, but lots of parts and more hooks than a fisherman's tacklebox. I'm not sure yet how it will stand the test of time, but anyway, I noticed there was no discussion on this album and was surprised...

"No man remains quite what he was when he recognizes himself."

vilainde
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2006 :  08:43:37  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I liked the Unicorns but didn't buy the record. Reminded me of Danielson, only a bit less fun. How different are the Islands?

Denis

Go to Top of Page

Broken Face
-= Forum Pistolero =-

USA
5155 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2006 :  08:53:43  Show Profile  Visit Broken Face's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It is more calypso influenced, and a little less schizophrenic. I like the album, but it hasn't really grown on me yet. It has maybe the best song title of the year, though: "Don't Call Me Whitney, Bobby"

-Brian - http://bvsrant.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

speedy_m
= Frankofile =

Canada
3581 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2006 :  08:59:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Listening to the album, I can see why they cited Graceland as a big influence on it.

he's back jack smoking crack find him if you want to get found
Go to Top of Page

Homers_pet_monkey
= Official forum monkey =

United Kingdom
17125 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2006 :  14:38:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was gonna start a topic about them recently. I really like the album. Another excellent Canadian band.

I'd walk her everyday, into a shady place
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2006 :  15:51:01  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Weird, could've sworn I'd replied to this...

Islands is fairly similar to Unicorns, at least vocally. Still a little bit of a death fetish, but not so prominent. They've lost the organ and put in some more, as Brian said, calypso-tinged sound. And as Mike said (and I can't believe I didn't recognize the Graceland influence before), it is very much in a similar vein as Graceland.

I currently have the opener (Swans) stuck in my head something fierce. I love the whole song, but especially the last half.

Will you like it if you liked Unicorns, I'd say yes. If you didn't like Unicorns, it will depend on your reasons... vocal delivery and style is unchanged, song-writing is the same, the feel of the albums is night and day however. Unicorns being the dark side of that equation.

Go to Top of Page

Cartland
- FB Fan -

Iceland
78 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2006 :  16:01:41  Show Profile  Visit Cartland's Homepage  Reply with Quote
A guy who was playing with Islands until recently, Jim Guthrie (grandson of Woody, I think), is imho one of the most talented artists out there. His album, Now, More Than Ever, is probably the best I've ever heard. Truly astounding. You can reach him at http://jimguthrie.org or http://myspace.com/jimguthrie.

http://myspace.com/ivartheartist
Go to Top of Page

Cartland
- FB Fan -

Iceland
78 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2006 :  16:03:37  Show Profile  Visit Cartland's Homepage  Reply with Quote
And of course Islands are great. They're coming to the island, Iceland, in October.

Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2006 :  17:43:51  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Oh, didn't know that Guthrie played with Islands. Saw him here a few years ago playing in support of Now More than Ever and bought the record at the show, was highly impressed. Apparently he used to put his tracks together on some Nintendo music program. Anyway, yeah, Now More than Ever's good, but I haven't gone back and listened to it in years. Time for a dust off, perhaps...

Go to Top of Page

Homers_pet_monkey
= Official forum monkey =

United Kingdom
17125 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2006 :  04:44:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I struggled with The Unicorns, but I really like Islands.

I'd walk her everyday, into a shady place
Go to Top of Page

Cartland
- FB Fan -

Iceland
78 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2006 :  06:46:16  Show Profile  Visit Cartland's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes, COF, please do. It's worth it.

Go to Top of Page

speedy_m
= Frankofile =

Canada
3581 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2006 :  07:33:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cult_Of_Frank

Oh, didn't know that Guthrie played with Islands. Saw him here a few years ago playing in support of Now More than Ever and bought the record at the show, was highly impressed. Apparently he used to put his tracks together on some Nintendo music program. Anyway, yeah, Now More than Ever's good, but I haven't gone back and listened to it in years. Time for a dust off, perhaps...

The album he did before Now, More Than Ever, called "Morning Noon Night" was done with a Playstation video game called "MTV Music Generator". It's a sometimes strange, pleasant little album with a few gems and you can certainly see how Now, More Than Ever could have grown out of it. The fact that it was done with a video game makes it unique and interesting as well as taking away from its seriousness in places (whether you think that's good or bad...). I haven't listened to that in ages, I think I'll have to give it another spin.

Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2006 :  07:42:00  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I still have to hear that album, I should try to find it. I think it would be an interesting listen...

Go to Top of Page

speedy_m
= Frankofile =

Canada
3581 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2006 :  08:24:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Word on the street is Islands are touring across Canada in Oct/Nov including a S'toon date.

Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2006 :  09:15:09  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
So what you're saying is basically that this will be the best fall for live music in Saskatoon that the city has ever seen?

Still can't believe I missed The Old Soul/RCR, but this eases the pain somewhat. I wonder how they are live compared to the Unicorns...

Go to Top of Page

speedy_m
= Frankofile =

Canada
3581 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2006 :  09:32:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, I guess FB pretty much makes that on his own. Unless you're all excited about Final Fantasy too.

Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2006 :  09:39:22  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
True I suppose, though I wasn't here for the Arcade Fire coming through but I imagine they'd rival FB, so Islands passing by tips this year significantly.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000