Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

tt
- FB Fan -

70 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2006 :  16:25:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For me, this is the first song on FMRM that I got into after hearing the cd a couple of times. Hope more start to grow on me although, this song is in the middle of a pretty good sequence. I would also say that I have enjoyed this album much more through my headphones vs. driving in my car (which is strange for me since there is nothing better driving and listening to Frank, very loud).

Edited by - tt on 06/25/2006 16:51:46

zippermouth29
- FB Fan -

Canada
40 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2006 :  17:31:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There are a lot more awesome songs on those two masterpiece discs. Like most of Frank's work you just have to take it as it comes and not expect anything. For all of you who want a heavier sound, don't waste your time anticipating and just enjoy what you get. Frank isn't about a certain sound he's about song writing and if you listen it's all there. Beautifully written songs still, after all those albums.

Forget your yin and go f*ck your yang.
Go to Top of Page

stymie
= Cult of Ray =

385 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2006 :  20:39:57  Show Profile  Visit stymie's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm enjoying If Your Poison Gets You and You Crucify Yourself and I'm Not Dead ( I'm in Pittsburgh )
Go to Top of Page

tt
- FB Fan -

70 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2006 :  17:57:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My apologies too all. I jumped the gun. I am now at the mandatory 10 listens and am loving FMRM! I guess I am a premature poster....
Go to Top of Page

ScottP
= Cult of Ray =

USA
618 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2006 :  20:16:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is that really Violet singing the backs on this track? Sheesh! Nice work. Great song.
Go to Top of Page

jfsalewicz
- FB Fan -

USA
55 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2006 :  02:01:33  Show Profile  Visit jfsalewicz's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Posted - 06/28/2006 : 01:59:04
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I need some insite on last verus of I just not your moment.

"Gun to my head, Got get moving"

WOW...
Is this a motivative line as like my feet are in the fire and I get this done?

Or
does it mean it time to leave this world "The smell of heaven sent"
Go to Top of Page

Llamadance
> Teenager of the Year <

United Kingdom
2543 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2006 :  08:08:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think this is one of the worst songs on the album, down there with Kiss My Ring. For both of them it's really the chorus. They make me cringe every time I hear them.....I've felt like that since KMR was leaked last year and it hasn't changed over time.
I just have to skip them really.

What lies before us and what lies behind us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2006 :  09:39:03  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I think it was Denis who mentioned the bass line to this in the tab thread. It's really really, i mean really, neat. I quite like the chorus. Like alot of the Catholic songs, the chorus rides to the rescue.

I tell you what makes me cringe, "in your rub-a-dub dub". Every time.
Go to Top of Page

Erebus
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1834 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2006 :  10:33:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by zippermouth29

Like most of Frank's work you just have to take it as it comes and not expect anything.

I like that.

Go to Top of Page

mr.biscuitdoughhead
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1729 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2006 :  11:11:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Llamadance

I think this is one of the worst songs on the album, down there with Kiss My Ring.

Kiss My Ring is a good song.

"Join the Cult Of Frank / Wheeeeeeeee!!!!!!"
Go to Top of Page

Llamadance
> Teenager of the Year <

United Kingdom
2543 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2006 :  11:19:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mr.biscuitdoughhead

quote:

I think this is one of the worst songs on the album, down there with Kiss My Ring.

No it's not *sticks out tongue*

I like the fact that even though we're all FB fans we are still polarised on the tracks. But, even an inspirational baseline couldn't save IJNYM for me, and I would go as far as to say that Kiss My Ring is the worst Frank song I have ever heard. Obviously some people love it though.

What lies before us and what lies behind us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Go to Top of Page

mr.biscuitdoughhead
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1729 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2006 :  11:22:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maybe I'm thinking of a different song. I'll go listen to it...

Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2006 :  12:38:17  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've only listened to the album, start to finish, once. IJNYM reminds me of the Catholic songs I don't skip, the slower tempo numbers (which FM doesn't seem short of) that send me to sleep. Though a nice deep sleep it is, Frank. It's a song I'd probably nod my head AND body to, rather than just tapping my foot. Left one, at that.
Go to Top of Page

mr.biscuitdoughhead
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1729 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2006 :  15:52:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by mr.biscuitdoughhead

quote:

No it's not *sticks out tongue*

I like the fact that even though we're all FB fans we are still polarised on the tracks. But, even an inspirational baseline couldn't save IJNYM for me, and I would go as far as to say that Kiss My Ring is the worst Frank song I have ever heard. Obviously some people love it though.

Worst Frank song? Really? It's alright. I mean it's not a masterpiece but at least it's listenable. It also sounds funny for Frank to declare his greatness in a song.

Go to Top of Page

Daisy Girl
~ Abstract Brain ~

Belize
5305 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2006 :  16:42:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
does anyone really want to know who "your" refers to???? i would like to know in a gossipy sort of way. ok, there i admitted it.
Go to Top of Page

ScottP
= Cult of Ray =

USA
618 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2006 :  18:21:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good point DG. I would like to know, but I would never admit it.
Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2006 :  18:30:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Daisy Girl

does anyone really want to know who "your" refers to???? i would like to know in a gossipy sort of way. ok, there i admitted it.

i think he's talking about Sk8alex

"I don't have any money to buy new clothes and if they paid me to get some I'd probably buy more hoodies." - Mark Wainfur
Go to Top of Page

Skatealex1
* Dog in the Sand *

1645 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2006 :  18:56:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Actually Frank wrote this song while i was talking to him. strange

The Truth Is Out There
Go to Top of Page

Daisy Girl
~ Abstract Brain ~

Belize
5305 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2006 :  19:30:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
no, skate, i thought it was about the swimmer.
Go to Top of Page

jfsalewicz
- FB Fan -

USA
55 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2006 :  16:51:08  Show Profile  Visit jfsalewicz's Homepage  Reply with Quote
So no one has thoughts on the last verus of Its just not your moment?

I also agree that is much better listening through headphones than dricing in the car. I have spun the album about 20 times since I have got it the day it came out. I wake up in the moringing sing one of the songs on the album. Its never the same one. I guess my brain loves this album.
Go to Top of Page

kfs
= Cult of Ray =

USA
889 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2006 :  03:56:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
and I love your brain
Go to Top of Page

Miss Thing
- FB Fan -

USA
49 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2006 :  17:15:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey folks. Contrary to what has been written recently, it isn't Sierra Swan singing the backing vocals on "It's Just Not Your Moment". Its 'lil me. Not that it's a vocal triumph. However, my life revolving around spitup and diaper duty as it is currently, I can't have Sierra Swan stealing my one little morsel of glory! -V
Go to Top of Page

ScottP
= Cult of Ray =

USA
618 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2006 :  17:54:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good job, Mrs. Black. How did you keep up with the way your husband was stretching out some of the "mo-ment" parts and not others? Tricky, but you nailed it.
Go to Top of Page

ProverbialCereal
- FB TabMaster -

USA
2953 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2006 :  20:49:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm tabbing the bassline to this song right now. Hopefully a real bass player here will be able to tell me if it's even right.

The song isn't amazing, but I like it. I mean... the bassline must be cool because I've never bothered tabbing a bassline before.
Go to Top of Page

kfs
= Cult of Ray =

USA
889 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2006 :  02:25:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm glad 'Miss Thing' is posting more often. It's cool to have some of her perspective. Thanks, ma'am!

By the way...great job with the song. I really like your part.
Go to Top of Page

HeywoodJablome
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1484 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2006 :  09:45:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I"ll have to agree with Llamadance on this one, the chorus is just excruciating. Kiss my Ring isn't as bad as some of these reviewers have made it out to be though, it's a'ight.

_______________________________________________________________________________________
Wait a minute, strike that. Reverse it.
Go to Top of Page

ScottP
= Cult of Ray =

USA
618 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2006 :  22:23:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HeywoodJablome

I"ll have to agree with Llamadance on this one, the chorus is just excruciating.

I am utterly baffled by this. What in the world is wrong with that chorus? I know it's just an opinion, but what could possibly be excruciating about that sweet, pop chorus?
Go to Top of Page

vilainde
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2006 :  23:36:00  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It's probably my second fave song from FMRM, and I love these female background vocals.

Denis

Your team sucks
Go to Top of Page

cassandra is
> Teenager of the Year <

France
4233 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2006 :  01:55:52  Show Profile  Visit cassandra is's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yeah I love that song too, it's a hit! Especially the chrorus with the drums rythm and the female vocals like Denis said. In fact Frank should sing more often with women. His voice fits perfectly with female backing vocals or duets.

pas de bras pas de chocolat
Go to Top of Page

Llamadance
> Teenager of the Year <

United Kingdom
2543 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2006 :  02:47:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's exactly the drums that I have the most problem with in the chorus, they just sound banal to me. Like someone hitting a cereal box with their spoon. The lyrics in the chorus as well....sometimes simplistic works, but this just doesn't have enough of anything to redeem it.
Actually, the last minute or so is good, but I still wouldn't want to listen to the song because of the chorus.

And I agree with cassandra, Franks voice goes great with female backing/duets.

Go to Top of Page

cassandra is
> Teenager of the Year <

France
4233 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2006 :  02:53:59  Show Profile  Visit cassandra is's Homepage  Reply with Quote
it's funny Llama, 'cos the fact that the drums parts on the chorus are so simple and basic along with the vocals melody makes this part of the song particularly appealing to me, I don't know... it sounds like an instant-classic... funny how people can disagree on the same part of a song

pas de bras pas de chocolat
Go to Top of Page

HeywoodJablome
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1484 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2006 :  07:30:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ScottP

quote:

I"ll have to agree with Llamadance on this one, the chorus is just excruciating.

sweet, pop chorus?

I think that is exactly what I don't like about it. Sure, sometimes it works but other times something can be so "hooky" that it just makes you gag. Not my thing I guess, the "la dee freakin da" thing. That being said though, not liking 1 out of 27? I can live with that.

_______________________________________________________________________________________
Wait a minute, strike that. Reverse it.
Go to Top of Page

ScottP
= Cult of Ray =

USA
618 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2006 :  11:02:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For the record, I wish to thank Llama and Heywood for choosing to explain their opinions instead
using the "fuck off, it sucks, and you suck" stock answer.

I fall for the "sweet pop chorus to the rescue" song formula every time (actually, this song never gets ugly enough to need rescuing). Isn't this what Cobain was referring to when he said the Pixies were gonna sue him? You know he's right.
Go to Top of Page

ScottP
= Cult of Ray =

USA
618 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2006 :  19:18:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

It's exactly the drums that I have the most problem with in the chorus, they just sound banal to me. Like someone hitting a cereal box with their spoon.

Which drum parts do you feel irritated by? The rim shots? All I can hear is a pretty decent rock and roll drum sound.
Go to Top of Page

Llamadance
> Teenager of the Year <

United Kingdom
2543 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2006 :  00:23:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As a non-musician I've no idea what exactly rim shots are. People should realise that for non-musicians it's pretty hard to explain exactly what is wrong with a song. We may have no idea about production/mixing etc (I'm sure I don't speak for all non-musicians)

I just know that sometimes a song sounds wrong/poor. In this case, for me, the drum sound is boring and maybe too obvious. Coupling that with fairly twee lyrics makes the chorus practically unlistenable. I cringe when I hear it. I can't help it, it's like a reflex action which makes it difficult to analyse, but I'm giving it my best shot.

There are plenty of songs I really like with uninspired drumming (many Prince tracks for instance) but not this one.

Go to Top of Page

MarshalltheMarsist
- FB Fan -

USA
54 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2006 :  06:15:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ScottP

quote:

I am utterly baffled by this. What in the world is wrong with that chorus? I know it's just an opinion, but what could possibly be excruciating about that sweet, pop chorus?

I agree. Not the best song or anything, but certainly not "excruciating."
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000