607 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2006 :  17:00:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Check it out...I like it! It's Live!

http://www.myspace.com/burdenbrothers

Thomas
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1615 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2006 :  18:48:33  Show Profile  Click to see Thomas's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
RYFOLAMF

"Our Love is Rice and Beans and Horses Lard"
Go to Top of Page

Thomas
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1615 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2006 :  18:59:26  Show Profile  Click to see Thomas's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I liked the BB better when they put out those 4 to 5 song cd samplers with a t-shirt. They where supposed to cover Czar for their first CD. According to 'Vaden' Todd Lewis our man Charles was slated to sing in the studio version of the cover but something happened and it was scrapped.

We always have the Toadies. www Send You To Heaven com

Edited by - Thomas on 06/11/2006 09:19:49
Go to Top of Page

Erebus
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1834 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2006 :  22:49:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I enjoyed that. I remember Thomas recommending them before but that's first time I've heard them.

Go to Top of Page

speedy_m
= Frankofile =

Canada
3581 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2006 :  08:18:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This cover perfectly illustrates the difference between Frank's voice and a more traditional "rock" singer's voice. Let me just say, I prefer Frank. This turns Czar into a parody of a classic rock song.

he's back jack smoking crack find him if you want to get found
Go to Top of Page

Thomas
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1615 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2006 :  08:45:18  Show Profile  Click to see Thomas's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Todd Lewis, who changed his name to Vaden Lewis (his birth name) after the breakup of the Toadies, is a huge Black Francis fan. You can tell by the Toadies song Tyler which sounds almost like WIMM and has been discussed in other threads. Unfortunately his new band, Burden Brothers, are just that “a parody of classic rock". Somehow along the way they became a joke that only they seem to get. RYFOLAMF!

quote:
Originally posted by speedy_m

This cover perfectly illustrates the difference between Frank's voice and a more traditional "rock" singer's voice. Let me just say, I prefer Frank. This turns Czar into a parody of a classic rock song.

he's back jack smoking crack find him if you want to get found

Edited by - Thomas on 06/09/2006 08:46:04
Go to Top of Page

mosleyk
= Cult of Ray =

USA
607 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2006 :  09:46:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was/am a HUGE toadies fan, and I agree BB is a bit of a parody, but I just have a soft-spot in my heart for those guys. My husband actually partied with them when they came through town many years ago (he was working in the hotel they stayed at). He said what a great bunch they were.

Their new album Mercy should be released soon, and as long as it is a bit better than "Buried in your Black Heart" I will be happy.
Go to Top of Page

TheScooper
- FB Fan -

USA
176 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2006 :  13:37:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've hung out with them on multiple occasions, they are fine fellows--they even gave me one of their hotel rooms when the hotel got overbooked. While Buried in your black heart is a little silly at times (though it does have its moments), they kick a lot of ass live. I have a feeling the upcoming Mercy will rock a lot harder. And the Toadies, of course, were awesome--one of the only true Pixies descendents that aren't craptastic. Their last album--Hell Below/Stars Above--is truly an overlooked classic.
Go to Top of Page

mosleyk
= Cult of Ray =

USA
607 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2006 :  14:07:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Amen! hell below/stars above is absolutely on my list of all-time favorite albums. One of the few that I swear I just dont' skip songs on.

I will share your finger crossing for a kick-ass Mercy album as well as a prayer they make it out to my area for a show.
Go to Top of Page

TheScooper
- FB Fan -

USA
176 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2006 :  20:50:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
DEFINITELY catch them live if the opportunity does arise, I drove three hours to see them once, and it was well worth it. Toadies are also doing a few shows here and there so here's hoping that reunion produces something...
Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2006 :  06:50:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice, buzzy, crunchy version, I like the gutsy passion in the vocals. And the way he pronounces time 'shime'! :)

That Toadies song is really good. I might have to check those guys out!

Edited by - Carl on 06/11/2006 07:08:37
Go to Top of Page

Thomas
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1615 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2006 :  08:56:22  Show Profile  Click to see Thomas's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I can't deny my love for the Toadies. HB/SA would have been so much better received without the delay and manipulation from their record label. Oh and Joey Let’s Go should have replaced What We Have We Steal which was better when it was titled Best of Three. They had so many damn good songs that never made it to print because Interscope was controlled by Limp Bizkit. I hate that I’ll never get a true CD versions of Velvet, Y’r Cute, Slaphead or Dig a Hole which where sold at shows only in cassette format or the illusive Feeler recordings between Rubberneck and HB/SA that never was. Yes, thank goodness for the internet and the ability for us to share those rare songs, but I’d rather have better quality versions. This brings us back to the Burden Brothers which I was so down with to begin with. I really enjoyed their first 2 CD singles, the Evel Knievel Beautiful Night CD
and the 8 Ball CD
. When they put out Buried in Your Black Heart they remade Beautiful Night instead of putting the superior version that was on the CD single. Just one mans rant.

Edited by - Thomas on 06/11/2006 08:58:50
Go to Top of Page

Thomas
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1615 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2006 :  16:46:20  Show Profile  Click to see Thomas's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mosleyk

I will share your finger crossing for a kick-ass Mercy album as well as a prayer they make it out to my area for a show.

When it comes to music from Texas, I'm looking more forward to Baboon's new one whom are good friends of the Burden Brothers.

Go to Top of Page

TheScooper
- FB Fan -

USA
176 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2006 :  15:39:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
they were actually planning on releasing the Feeler sessions officially on CD, but as far as I can tell those plans were scrapped--unfortunately for us. And I agree, HBSA should and could have been huge if not for Interscope--the Toadies rocked a lot more than all the casual fans who only know Possum Kingdom will ever realize
Go to Top of Page

Thomas
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1615 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2006 :  19:02:14  Show Profile  Click to see Thomas's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Possum Kingdom. Vampires right? Arrrrrrrghhhhhhhhh!!!!!

Go to Top of Page

Jettison
- FB Fan -

USA
228 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2006 :  04:55:37  Show Profile  Visit Jettison's Homepage  Reply with Quote
rubberneck = best album of the 90's.

burden brothers = poop
Go to Top of Page

Thomas
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1615 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2006 :  21:22:06  Show Profile  Click to see Thomas's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Carl

Nice, buzzy, crunchy version, I like the gutsy passion in the vocals. And the way he pronounces time 'shime'! :)

That Toadies song is really good. I might have to check those guys out!

This is their "hit" song circa 1995. Possum Kingdom. Just about anything can be found on you tube.

Go to Top of Page

TheScooper
- FB Fan -

USA
176 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2006 :  07:29:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
that is indeed the hit--but not even close to their best, so check out their other stuff regardless of whether or not you like it--you won't regret it
Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2006 :  09:39:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thomas

This is their "hit" song circa 1995. Possum Kingdom. Just about anything can be found on you tube.

Good stuff. They sound really solid and tight. Nice, driving sound. Yeah, YouTube is smashing for videos, rare or otherwise.

Join the Cult Of Pob!
Go to Top of Page

Thomas
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1615 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2006 :  20:27:43  Show Profile  Click to see Thomas's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote

More YouTube.com stuff.

Everyone loves Saturday Morning Cartoons. Here is the theme song for The Groovie Goolies done by the Toadies. Goolie get-together.

Here is the original Groovie Goolies Show theme song.

Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2006 :  09:06:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hee hee, cool. I used to watch that all the time.

"I needed thaaat!!"

(I couldn't find a picture of him being struck by lightening!!)

Remember The Drac Pack?

Join the Cult Of Pob!

Edited by - Carl on 07/01/2006 09:07:28
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000