Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

PixieSteve
> Teenager of the Year <

Poland
4698 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2016 :  08:53:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
bossanova was my first pixies album after my introduction with the death to the pixies compilation, and it definitely took longer to get into. the worst thing about best ofs is how they colour your experience of the rest of the material. for a little while it feels like filler. but yeah, 15 years later and i love it.
i remember when all over the world clicked for the first time. i was at a house party, a little drunk, and it was the loudest i'd listened to it. became transfixed by my sudden and first time awareness of its epic quality :')
Go to Top of Page

sdon
= Cult of Ray =

France
779 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2016 :  09:05:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

AOTW, Rock Music & Hang Wire are the highlights of Bossanova for me.

Same for me
I very much like Velouria, Dig for Fire, Is She Weird, The Happening, Blown Away...
But this trio is my favourite

--
"Aristophanes! (gong sounds)"
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1221 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2016 :  10:50:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fitzy

quote:
Originally posted by Sprite

quote:
Originally posted by picpic

All over the world & The hapenning are epic rides. AOTW ending is mesmerizing.

___
"Service Unavailable"

There's that great quote from Bob Mould on Trompe le Monde (the song) saying there's more creativity in it than many bands discographies. I feel that same about AOTW, the ending was spine-tingling the first time I heard it in that late summer in 1990 and still makes me feel exactly the same all these years later.

Wasn't the Bob Mould quote about the first four songs from TLM? Not that Trompe Le Monde (song) isn't brimming with creativity. Either way, he was right.

'All Over The World' also has that neat trick FBF used to do, which was start with a chord progression, then go off in a tangent mid-song, and then, somehow, end the song with the first idea (kind of like comedians, trying to tie earlier jokes at the end of a set, the human brain seems to respond favorably to that sort of thing), either with the exact same chords, or same chord progression but in another key.

This type of songwriting from FBF, which he mainly did in his early work (I don't remember anything similar to this "technique" after 'Living on Soul')?), has always amazed me, thinking how talented the guy is, and hearing the songs now, they still manage to give me chills because it always trips my brain, and I start "Wait, what?", even if I'm half-expecting it. 'I Bleed' is another example. Still don't understand what they're doing on that one.

Voila!

"When I heard the new Pixies record [Trompe Le Monde] I was kind of jealous. In its first four minutes the record lays out more ideas than some bands do in their careers. Pixies records are a big challenge. You've really got to dig in. a 6/8 break with a walkie-talkie? Critics might hone in on that, but I'm not sure if everyone gets it. And there's this great turn, a phrase, it's kind of like the "Popcorn" break, it just comes along at a perfect time." (Bob Mould in Musician)

So we were both half right. Great website site though in case others have not seen it before

http://aleceiffel.free.fr/index_alec.html
Go to Top of Page

Arm Arm Arm
* Dog in the Sand *

1034 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2016 :  09:02:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bossanova is a great album with not one but two epic songs in All Over The World & The Happening. The weakest tracks on it for me, are Velouria, Down To The Well and Dig For Fire but it's still such a great record. I remember listening to Is She Weird over and over again, just rocking out to it.

Perhaps the best art on any Pixies album as well.

And Rock Music, a song that is encompasses the title...!

cheers
Go to Top of Page

Fitzy
- FB Fan -

Portugal
86 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2016 :  11:10:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Velouria among the weakest of the bunch. That's crazy tallk, but it goes to show just how strong the album is. Stormy Weather is the only one that doesn't do much for me.

Down to the well is let down by the album version, IMO. It's not the greatest song BF has penned, but the early versions, with a faster tempo and deranged yelps give the song an extra bite.
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1871 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2016 :  11:35:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Stormy Weather is epic. It's all about the athmosphere. You can feel the clouds, the storm and the rain.

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

sdon
= Cult of Ray =

France
779 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2016 :  11:58:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There's no weak moment on Bossanova
Even Havalina is a very strong closer

--
Go to Top of Page

BunsenH
= Cult of Ray =

294 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2016 :  11:26:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sdon

There's no weak moment on Bossanova
Even Havalina is a very strong closer

--

"Havalina" is one of my favorites, actually. Loved that I got to hear it live when they dusted it off for the gigs with Kim S.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000