New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

HeywoodJablome
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1484 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2006 :  10:44:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So I got laid off two weeks ago on a Tuesday only to be re-hired for the day spot the following day. It was the first time I've been laid off in my life (besides getting fired once) and I gotta admit it was kind of funny. They laid out my severence pay (about $8000) which kind of had me salivating for all the chilling at home I was planning on. Meanwhile the Human Resources person (whom I had never met) was offering her consolation and counsel if I had any "issues" with the way it was going down, while the hospital administrator right beside her was dropping the blade.

Anyway, my boss must have liked me or something because they edged out the day person and put me in their place. They weren't cutting it apparently. So now instead of working a couple evenings during the week and both weekend days I'm a regular M-F, weekends free, office cyborg and it's a little strange. I haven't worked a regular shift like this in 7 years and I'm starting to over hear conversations about "American Idol" and mudslides at TGIFridays. Begining to think that these co-workers of mine are far crazier than the psych patients my job requires me to deal with. But I'm glad to be earning some dough seeing that I got a big vacation planned for the end of the year. Also, I've seen friends go through the "lay off/severence pay" episode before and they always have a few good months but then find it hard to get off their keisters and get back in the game when the well runs dry.

Give us your lay off/fired/work related stories.

______________________________________________________________________________________________

"I am a man who pisses largely and frequently, which they say is a sign of great mental activity." -Henry Miller

BLT
> Teenager of the Year <

South Sandwich Islands
4204 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2006 :  11:01:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My girlfriend (who is now my wife) and I worked at a construction company in Glendale. I maintained their fleet of trucks and she worked in the office. In April 1992, we both got laid off on the day Reginald Denny got clobbered and the L.A. riots started. For the next week, we both had ample time to sit in front of the boob tube watching assholes looting and burning down buildings. Good times.

Does anyone remember laughter?
Go to Top of Page

Homers_pet_monkey
= Official forum monkey =

United Kingdom
17125 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2006 :  03:27:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I took voluntary redundancy from my last job in January '05. I spent two months off work just chilling out, then got the job I am in now. Still had most of the money left too (though only about half of it now).

I'd walk her everyday, into a shady place
Go to Top of Page

benji
> Teenager of the Year <

New Zealand
3423 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2006 :  04:35:17  Show Profile  Visit benji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
well mine's not really a laid-off story, but just thought i'd state that while i work 9n5, it means i work 9 days and then have 5 days off.
i like it. 5 days off is just the perfect amount of time to really get nothing done. perfect for someone like me who just loves sitting round the house reading, listening to music and just generally doing nothing.
tho of course, the 9 days working suck, especially starting at 6am and often coming home looking like this:

never been laid off, but thats mainly cause the job i'm in now (and have been for just over a year) is my first permanent job. it's nice to have that job security that you just don't have being a temp when you never know if today will be your last day.

"you change your lives with a change of a haircut" Die! Die! Die!
Go to Top of Page

HeywoodJablome
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1484 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2006 :  10:29:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's kind of a shame though. I could of used that lump some as a good excuse to hitch hike on up to Big Sur, drop acid, change my name to Moonbeam and get my cult started.

______________________________________________________________________________________________

"I am a man who pisses largely and frequently, which they say is a sign of great mental activity." -Henry Miller
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000