Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 30

Broken Face
-= Forum Pistolero =-

USA
5155 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2006 :  12:39:37  Show Profile  Visit Broken Face's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I think my biggest problem with it (which isn't really a problem) is the tone of FB's voice in it - it doesn't really sound like him.

-Brian - http://bvsrant.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

MHokkane
- FB Fan -

USA
56 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2006 :  12:52:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The ending.................OH the ending.
Go to Top of Page

beckett trance
- FB Fan -

USA
170 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2006 :  13:15:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Broken Face

I think my biggest problem with it (which isn't really a problem) is the tone of FB's voice in it - it doesn't really sound like him.

He wrote in the liner notes that he was trying to be Daltry.

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2006 :  13:24:49  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Holiday Son

Announcement is a tremendous song and probably Frank's most underrated work.
I really fell in love with it when I saw Frank perform it live in 96.

you lucky, lucky so and so.

The ending.......OH the ending, indeed. Bass line. Feedback. mmm!
Go to Top of Page

coastline
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
3111 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2006 :  15:12:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, it'd hard for me to question, at this point, that some people love "Announcement." But to my ear, it's just too damn loud, and not very melodic. It just goes to show, FB's music is diverse, and we fans are likely to appreciate certain aspects of it more than others. I'm into Frank's mellower stuff, and have really loved all the acoustic music this year. But then I hear from you guitar players, and it seems you dig the stuff with rocking guitars and bigger productions. (I'm generalizing, I know.)

I could not find my honeycomb.
Go to Top of Page

MHokkane
- FB Fan -

USA
56 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2006 :  15:18:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To quote Dave Grohl on the Howard Stern Show years ago:
"SOMETIMES YOU JUST GOTTA ROCK!"
Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2006 :  15:58:44  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coastline

It just goes to show, FB's music is diverse, and we fans are likely to appreciate certain aspects of it more than others.

So true. Speaking for myself, it was (and is) the "louderish" pre-catholic black that hit me where it matters, and like hearing the Pixies for the very first time, those moments of "now this is what I'm looking for" stay with me like fond memories. The Catholics, though still rocking, diluted the sound and rush that turned me on in the beginning, but took me to another level of appreciation completely. There's a Frank Black song out there to satisfy any rock and roll craving I desire.

Frank Black will be a legend.
Frank Black is one of the best of all time.
Go to Top of Page

Broken Face
-= Forum Pistolero =-

USA
5155 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2006 :  16:14:07  Show Profile  Visit Broken Face's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by beckett trance

quote:

He wrote in the liner notes that he was trying to be Daltry.

...who i generally dislike.

Go to Top of Page

Grunty Yodus
- FB Fan -

USA
51 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2006 :  12:37:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Once again D& B, #22 was a real treat. I haven't listened to the "Ego" single in quite a while and it was real cool to hear you guys rap about and play "Surf Epic." On a semi-Podcast related inquiry to Dean. On the Saskatoon show you UPL'd to the DIME, did you go from Audience recording to Soundboard about 2 minutes into "Two Rellers?" If you did, that was one hell of a smooth transition. Thank you for a great show!!!
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2006 :  12:57:31  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Heh, yeah, you caught me. I tried to make it as transparent as possible.

The only bad part about that evening was getting the soundboard going. I pretty much missed (or at least, couldn't give my undivided attention to) the solo acoustic portion as I was working with the sound guys to get it going. Interestingly, I actually had it right and told him he'd plugged into my outputs about 10 times (but I deferred as, you know, he's the expert and I'm just some podcasting guy) before the other sound guy came and agreed.

Sadly with all the confusion, I forgot to pan the channels so it's really close to mono.

"Now you're officially my woman. Kudos. I can't say I don't envy you."
Go to Top of Page

Pete Egress
- FB Fan -

USA
49 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2006 :  00:05:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Holiday Son

Announcement is a tremendous song and probably Frank's most underrated work.
I really fell in love with it when I saw Frank perform it live in 96.

SAME HERE :) --the COR tour. I remember that the X-Files cd came out around that time and FB contributed to it (man of steel). I was sure that this "new"song would be the one on that cd--and was dissapointed after buying it that it wasnt--though MOS is a good song too.

And yes--it sounds a whole lot like a Who song--vocals drum, bass and guitar riffs. One of my FAVORITES.

Its funny--someone was saying its too loud and not melodic--this is the song I generally blast when I listen to it--its easy to get carried away by the raw energy--a good air-guitar song :).
And I would also say that I find this song to be very melodic--it was actually the melody that stuck with me for a few years after seeing the show b4 actually hearing a recording.

Also--THANKS for playing Surf Epic. Hadnt heard that one before. Absolutely loved it--love when Frank explores odd chord changes and winds up creating something haunting and beautiful out of it . Thats the Frank I miss sometimes.

Edited by - Pete Egress on 12/21/2006 00:21:02
Go to Top of Page

coastline
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
3111 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2006 :  17:46:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
By the way, Surf Epic isn't the longest song in FB's catalog -- that honor goes to the Frank Black Francis version of Planet of Sound, which weighs in at 14 minutes and 56 seconds. I've never made it through the whole thing, but iTunes tells me it's that long.

Is that a real poncho or is that a Sears poncho?
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2006 :  22:27:44  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ooh, good catch, you're right I suppose.

Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2006 :  14:49:09  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Final podcast for December, 2006, and until Feb. 1 is now up. Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good listen.

Go to Top of Page

pixiestu
> Teenager of the Year <

United Kingdom
2564 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2006 :  15:19:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, I don't think I ever realised how complex the lyrics to "Valley of Our Hope" were, especially with the numbers in the lyrics too.

"The arc of triumph"
Go to Top of Page

pixiestu
> Teenager of the Year <

United Kingdom
2564 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2007 :  06:40:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Was there a podcast with a different version of Nadine? A demo or something? I can't seem to find it. Can anyone tell me an episode number?

"The arc of triumph"
Go to Top of Page

Broken Face
-= Forum Pistolero =-

USA
5155 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2007 :  07:17:29  Show Profile  Visit Broken Face's Homepage  Reply with Quote
There were actually 2 different Nadine versions. Podcasts #11-12.

And for future reference, every note we play is chronicled here: http://www.frankblack.net/podcast/

Go to Top of Page

pixiestu
> Teenager of the Year <

United Kingdom
2564 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2007 :  08:06:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks a lot! That's gonna be a big help when I'm searching for something on a previous podcast.

"The arc of triumph"
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2007 :  08:08:58  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Also for reference, the first season of podcasts is going offline due to server and monetary constraints so that we can start on season 2 next month. The episodes numbered 1-19 will be removed from the podcast by Monday.

Go to Top of Page

Broken Face
-= Forum Pistolero =-

USA
5155 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2007 :  08:46:11  Show Profile  Visit Broken Face's Homepage  Reply with Quote
So grab 'em while ya can!

Go to Top of Page

coastline
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
3111 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2007 :  09:28:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

There were actually 2 different Nadine versions. Podcasts #11-12.

And for future reference, every note we play is chronicled here: http://www.frankblack.net/podcast/

Thanks for this, Brian. I'd been trying (not that hard) to find these tracks among the podcasts. Since there aren't chapters in the podcasts (that's not really a complaint, though chapters would be nice), it's sorta difficult to find a song, especially because I wasn't even sure which podcasts "Nadine" was in.

Anyhow, what a great damn song, maybe FB's best ever. Between demos, live tracks, a TV show (Henry Rollins) and the album version, I think I must have close to 15 versions of this song, and it's so hard to pick a favorite. The Saskatoon show almost nails the spirit of the song best, because he sounds like he's completely losing his mind over this girl, which is exactly what the song's about. The version with Morris Tepper (that's the one from the Henry Rollins show) is way up there, too, if only because Tepper plays such a great guitar.

Brian, you called this song "blues" on a recent podcast. I'm not so sure about that. The album version is blues, I think, but that seems to be the only one. But maybe you're right. What do you think makes it a blues song, if indeed it is one?

And aren't you havin' fun?
Go to Top of Page

Broken Face
-= Forum Pistolero =-

USA
5155 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2007 :  09:47:20  Show Profile  Visit Broken Face's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The structure, chord-wise, of the song is a classic 12-bar blues progression; the lyrics are very typically blues as well, the stomping beat - it all just screams modern blues to me.

Go to Top of Page

coastline
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
3111 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2007 :  10:00:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hard to argue with that. Blues it is.

And aren't you havin' fun?
Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2007 :  12:55:52  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coastline

Anyhow, what a great damn song, maybe FB's best ever.

but not with that

(2006 CHAMP)
Go to Top of Page

theonecontender
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
565 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2007 :  13:08:53  Show Profile  Visit theonecontender's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looking forward to the new podcast tomorrow boys. Cheers.
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2007 :  22:53:26  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Me too!

Go to Top of Page

Broken Face
-= Forum Pistolero =-

USA
5155 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2007 :  06:07:12  Show Profile  Visit Broken Face's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The podcast will be delayed a day or so - my PC, on which i was doing all the work on, died on Tuesday. RIP. With it took over 100 songs i have written/recorded over the last 5 years, 10,000 mp3s as well as my senior thesis and all the podcast files. Luckily, i have most of them backed up, and just have to reassemble the podcast - i re-recorded all my parts last night and should be done (i hope) tonight. My sincerest aplogies. Fuck Dell.

Go to Top of Page

kelladwella
= Cult of Ray =

Germany
729 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2007 :  06:25:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My condolences. This must suck.
Go to Top of Page

trobrianders
> Teenager of the Year <

Papua New Guinea
3302 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2007 :  05:50:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

The podcast will be delayed a day or so - my PC, on which i was doing all the work on, died on Tuesday. RIP. With it took over 100 songs i have written/recorded over the last 5 years, 10,000 mp3s as well as my senior thesis and all the podcast files. Luckily, i have most of them backed up, and just have to reassemble the podcast - i re-recorded all my parts last night and should be done (i hope) tonight. My sincerest aplogies. Fuck Dell.

Don't worry about the delay. Just get yourself sorted out ok. Keep up the good work.

theonecontender
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
565 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2007 :  10:17:26  Show Profile  Visit theonecontender's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Man, that's a sad tale.. Did you have most of your personal tunes backed up as well? If I lost my songs I would rage like the hulk. Hope you get your shit back man.
Go to Top of Page

my_name_is_chip
- FB Fan -

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2007 :  21:15:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
surely you know that a PC death does not equal a HDD death, you may not have lost anything dude.
Go to Top of Page

feebadger
- FB Fan -

Australia
1 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2007 :  19:18:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was hoping that someone might be able to tell me who is MANAGING the pixies these days? If someone could give me that information along with any contact detailsfor their management it would be GREATLY appreciated.
Go to Top of Page

theonecontender
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
565 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2007 :  11:18:20  Show Profile  Visit theonecontender's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Probably still Ken Goes.
Go to Top of Page

Erebus
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1834 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2007 :  16:02:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tho loyalty is but nearly least of the virtues, next only unto skill in spelling, I suspect theonecontender is correct in that the Frank-guy still goes with Goes. Assailed by every wind, friend and foe, he Goes, to good effect.

Go to Top of Page

Grunty Yodus
- FB Fan -

USA
51 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2007 :  14:35:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Brian and Dean, "Happy 1-Year Anniversary!!" It's tomorrow isn't it? Also, Brian I e-mailed you right before your computer crashed. Sorry to hear about that and I hope you can reclaim your tunes.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 30 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000