New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2006 :  08:57:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Inspired by the General Chat topic...I was listening to Black Letter Days earlier, and I was thinking about how after Cult Of Ray, it was a while before I got back into Frank-or got into the Catholics era at all, actually. I remember buying the first FB&C's over in Holland, and not listening to it much. It's only in the last couple of years that I've caught up on everything. Anyway, listening to BLD earlier, it really struck me (On only my second listen, after a long while!). I'd been meaning to give it another spin, and watching a clip of him performing Cold Heart Of Stone on Craig Kilborn recently (aquired from www.broszkowski.com of course!!) made me want to stick it on. (Also, Kathryn posting that Valentine And Garuda remix a while back was a bit of an inspiration to listen again, too!) Lot of good songs on there, and I think Frank and the Catholics manage to be versatile while still sticking to an overall feel. They rock out in a different way then before in parts, 1826 sounding like Ben Harper a bit to me and The Farewell Bend is kind of acoustic Zeppelin. Before I first heard the album, I remember being surprized to discover that they covered The Black Rider. California Bound is great and Whispering Weeds is a beautiful song, too. Anyway, I'm glad to discover this is another grower. Dog In The Sand is already a fave, the others Catholics albums I'm not so crazy about, although I've only ever listen to Devil's Workshop twice, and there are good songs on all the albums. Honeycomb, I've only listened to once, I don't have that too long, though!!

P.S. As for as Franks vocal is concerned, does anyone else feel that Southbound Bevy sounds like a dry run for Dark End Of The Street?!

pas de dutchie!

Edited by - Carl on 01/30/2006 09:08:35

VoVat
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

USA
9168 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2006 :  10:45:54  Show Profile  Visit VoVat's Homepage  Click to see VoVat's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
One thing about the Catholics is that they seem to have two distinct sounds. There's the loud, raw rock of the first two Catholics albums; and then the softer, rootsy feel of BLD and SMYT. DitS and DW fall somewhere in the middle (and those are, incidentally, my two favorite Catholics albums). Obviously, I'm simplifying the issue quite a bit, but when people say they like Frank's work with the Catholics, I have to wonder whether they're thinking more of Pistolero or SMYT.

I think songs by both Frank solo and Frank with the Catholics tend to take some time to grow on me. The exception is DitS, which I liked pretty much immediately (although it took me a while to appreciate "I'll Be Blue").

As for "Southbound Bevy," I guess I can see that, but I think "Bevy" is a much better song than "Dark End Of The Street," vocally and in most other respects.

"If you doze much longer, then life turns to dreaming. If you doze much longer, then dreams turn to nightmares."
Go to Top of Page

HeywoodJablome
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1484 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2006 :  22:30:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had a friend in the car once while listening to BLD and when Southbound Bevy came on he asked me if it was "Against the Wind" by Bob Seger. That was pretty goddamn funny.

I don't know about the correlation between those two songs Carl, the pedal steel I think is what makes SB Bevy such a great song, the perfect ingredient. Whereas the bareness of Dark End is what makes that one good, to me anyway.
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6013 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2006 :  01:03:38  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I think that in only 10 years time I will see that DITS, BLD and SMYT are 3 pieces
of the best recorded and best produced music ever made. In their historical context
they are even original: recording live? alt. country? Besides that, the songs are truly amazing,
DITS-title song, If it takes all night, End of Miles, Manitoba? Man, Frank is best songwriter of his time,
Fastman Raiderman has to be quite something special to defeat these records.

---------------------------
God save the Noisies
Go to Top of Page

Jontiven
= Cult of Ray =

USA
347 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2006 :  15:02:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is.

bye,
Jon Tiven
Go to Top of Page

OldManInaCoffeeCan
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1467 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2006 :  15:35:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[off-topic]

Hey Jon, it's quiting time here. Do you want to join me at Bobby's Idle Hour
on 16th for a beer and a Coca-Cola?

I'm buying!

I'll save you a stool at the bar,
OldManInaHonkyTonkCoffeeCan

"I'm more of a self-indulgent epic kind of guy." King Charles IV

OMIACC - PostMaster of fb.net's Zenith threads

Edited by - OldManInaCoffeeCan on 02/03/2006 15:39:43
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6013 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2006 :  16:37:07  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jontiven

It is.

bye,
Jon Tiven

you haven't disappoint me last time Jon
but still
we'll wait and see
Personally I hope it's going to be Frank's best
but you know, if I get my expectations all high up
and everything. That's no good.

---------------------------