New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2006 :  15:02:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/tm_objectid=16633440&method=full&siteid=94762&headline=online-deal-for-bands--name_page.html

27 January 2006

ONLINE DEAL FOR BANDS

GROUPS trying to get a record deal will now be able to release their music online for just £10, following the launch of a new service.

Tunecore allows unsigned artists to upload their songs and artwork on to the iTunes music store.

As the service cuts out the need for a record label, it means acts can sell their music online and receive 100 per cent of sales revenue.

Artists also retain rights and ownership of their music.

Frank Black of The Pixies has signed up to the service which costs £10 an album. His manager Ken Goes said: "There's no need for record companies any more."

Danny Black, of agents Normal, disagreed. He said: "It'll be tough for artists to reach the public eye."

Edited by - Carl on 01/27/2006 15:04:20

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11682 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2006 :  15:22:23  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Very interesting, though I guess FB's been on record saying that for a few years now. Still, I wonder if the next album will be sans label. Or if maybe part of the experiment is that one of the discs will be download only?

"If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominos will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."
Go to Top of Page

Daisy Girl
~ Abstract Brain ~

Belize
5305 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2006 :  15:37:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think that's really cool. More power to them 10 quid seems high for electronic versions of songs though. I also hope they have real cd's, I just like those better than MP3's. But I want them to do what makes the most sense for them as a band.
Go to Top of Page

fumanbru
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1461 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2006 :  18:01:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Carl
Frank Black of The Pixies has signed up to the service which costs £10 an album. His manager Ken Goes said: "There's no need for record companies any more."

Danny Black, of agents Normal, disagreed. He said: "It'll be tough for artists to reach the public eye."[/font=Arial]

he obviously isn't aware of frank. record companies schmecord companies.

....i think this is fantastic! i don't think record companies have been able to earn their cut promoting his albums. toty is a perfect example. frank's got such a solid core of fans that i'm sure this venue would be profitable for him. plus it enables him to release non stop material! just think- a new frank album coming out each week!

"I joined the Cult of Frank/ cause I'm a real go-getter!"
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
6028 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2006 :  04:03:39  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
this is so cool
I think I'm gonna do that too!

---------------------------
God save the Noisies
Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2007 :  16:56:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
BostonHerald.com - the Edge - Broadbands: TuneCore puts artists’ songs on shelves of online stores.

But TuneCore isn’t only for fledgling bands. The Pixies’ Frank Black was the first client.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000