New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

raindog
- FB Fan -

Canada
2 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2003 :  20:42:54  Show Profile
I've been a fan of Frank Black for about 15 years, and this was the first time I've seen him live. I thought it was a great show. I was going to go to the Saskatoon show the night before, but couldn't make it due to weather. After the show I had a chance to talk to Rich Gilbert - he's a great guy, quite friendly. And man does Rich have the moves on stage. I have a set list from the night, but there are five songs I wasn't sure of, maybe if you were there you could help me fill it in - I'd like to make a disc of the songs played that night.

1. Black Letter Days
2. All My Ghosts
3. Cactus
4. Hermaphroditos
5. Six-sixty-six
6. Where is My Mind
7. Bullet
8. Southbound Bevy
9. Mr. Grieves
10. Robert Onion
11. ??? some lines: "At night I want my coffee, in the morning I want my tea."
12. Horrible Day
13. Headache
14. Nimrod's Son
15. California Bound
16. Sir Rockawhile
17. Jane Queen of Love
18. Gouge Away
19. Freedom Rock
20. How You Went So Far
21. Crackity Jones
22. ??? I remember him singing, "Sanfrancisco, ..... .... Sacremento"
23. Monkey Gone To Heaven
24. ??? "By the gate my sorrow waits" .... "That's the sound of ..."
25. ??? couldn't make out too many words, it was good, loud, and heavy

Encore

26. Dirty Old Town
27. ??? "Far off in the distance I can hear a bell"
28. Cold Heart of Stone
29. Los Angeles
30. The Black Rider

It was a great show - loved it. If you could help identify the songs I don't know I would appreciate it. Thanks

Broken Face
-= Forum Pistolero =-

USA
5155 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2003 :  21:00:22  Show Profile  Visit Broken Face's Homepage
27 perhaps is sister isabel?

as breathing flows my mind secedes...
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2003 :  21:20:30  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage
Hey, I was at the Regina show too... 'twas good. We braved the awful highways Friday and let me tell you that it wasn't pretty, but still worth it (even though we had to stay in a hotel in Regina 'cuz the highways were too bad to come home after the show). Your setlist looks pretty complete - I can't think of anything you're missing or that you have that wasn't on there... but my memory is already a blur between the Saskatoon & Regina shows. I admit I don't remember Black Rider, but that certainly doesn't mean he didn't play it. Here's my best guess at the rest of that list:

11. It's one of his new ones, but I don't know the words well enough to say which. Not Nadine, not Horrible Day, ... ummm... Massif Centrale? He played this one at some point in the evening, but I don't recall when...

16. This would be Sir Rockaby - was this the one where Rich's guitar pedal stopped working right during his lead?

22, 24. Well, I'm not much help am I. I'll get back to you if someone doesn't beat me to it.

25. I believe the closer was I Want Rock & Roll.

27. Sister Isabelle - pretty rockin' little version, too, if I may say so. Very cool to hear that live, I think it's pretty rare. It's from the John Peel sessions.

Where were you at the show?
Go to Top of Page

Arm Arm Arm
* Dog in the Sand *

1035 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2003 :  21:33:12  Show Profile
Hey!

Thanks for the reviews...sounds like a great show. Do you recall if they played the extended ending to Hermaphroditos? After the song winds down, they suddenly kick into this fast, swingin' riff. I heard them do it once in Columbus, but they didn't at the other two shows I saw.

Jus' wonderin'...thanks.
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2003 :  21:42:26  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage
Oh, they did the extended Hermaphroditos ending - that was amazing... you think the song is over (and of course you're always sad when a song is over) and they keep playing that last chord and all of a sudden the drums build and boom, back into a rocking little outro. We were actually blessed to hear it at the Saskatoon & Regina shows.
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2003 :  21:45:42  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage
... oh yeah, and I think song 11 might be House of the New Pope and then maybe 24 is Massif Centrale. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Edited by - Cult_Of_Frank on 04/09/2003 21:48:15
Go to Top of Page

Arm Arm Arm
* Dog in the Sand *

1035 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2003 :  21:51:21  Show Profile
Thanks! That's cool, I'm glad they still do it. I love it whenever they deviate and extend songs live.

cheers
Go to Top of Page

raindog
- FB Fan -

Canada
2 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2003 :  17:55:58  Show Profile
You asked:
Where were you at the show?
I was Seated in the balcony straight ahead of Frank. I made sure we were the first ones inside so I could get those spots. We were really fortunate to see Frank in such a small venue. We couldn't have expected to be that close in cities other than Regina or Saskatoon - Wished I could have seen him there too. By the way, thanks for the help with the set list.
My brother saw them in Calgary on Monday night and it was quite a different show. Frank played more acoustic guitar and Rich played more keys. I guess Rich didn't have the energy in Calgary he usually does. However, my brother and I agree it was the best straight ahead rock shows we have ever seen (but it's always hard to compare). No talking, just song after song, and Frank's voice live is awesome.
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2003 :  15:51:51  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage
We were on the first floor at the far left end of the stage... you might have seen my bright orange (looked red in the blue light) orange-album-esque shirt with Frank Black from the orange album cover on the back and the FB logo on the front. We saw several people talk to Rich after the show (ourselves included) so I'm not sure which you were, but at any rate, pretty damn rocking! If FB could do whatever he does in the live shows and bring that to his restaurant he wants to open... S'gettis, I think he said, he would be a millionaire; I was hungrier for live FB when I left than when I got there. :)
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2003 :  15:04:12  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage
OK, so here's the official track list, since it's now up on CBC:

1. Black Letter Day
2. All My Ghosts
3. Cactus
4. Hermaphroditos
5. Six-sixty-six (not on CBC)
6. Where is My Mind
7. Bullet
8. Southbound Bevy
9. Mr. Grieves
10. Robert Onion
11. New House of the Pope
12. Horrible Day
13. Headache
14. Nimrod's Son
15. California Bound
16. Sir Rockaby
17. Jane Queen of Love
18. Gouge Away
19. Freedom Rock
20. How You Went So Far
21. Crackity Jones
22. I Want Rock & Roll
23. Monkey Gone To Heaven
24. Massif Centrale
25. Nadine

Encore
------
26. Dirty Old Town (not on CBC)
27. Sister Isabelle (not on CBC)
28. Cold Heart of Stone
29. Los Angeles
30. Black Rider (not on CBC)

- I guess for legality reasons, they couldn't play the covers on the air without permission so they were taken out of the show. Look for this one on the FTP soon.
Go to Top of Page

fumanbru
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1461 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2003 :  18:24:31  Show Profile
thanks cultster for the full set list. i was actually considering driving up for the regina show. stupid me.
Go to Top of Page

avtv
- FB Fan -

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2003 :  00:05:54  Show Profile
This is probably a really stupid question, but what is the FTP site and how does a somewhat computer illiterate person use it. The concert is so good that i want to be able to hear in my car.

Thanks,

Alec
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2003 :  00:11:07  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage
Heh... cool, I'm now a cultster. :) It was pretty crappy weather to drive to Regina even two hours from Saskatoon, so the trip from Winnipeg would probably have been even less pleasant. Even so, well worth it, especially since we're not dead. It's very cool to have a live recording of a concert I was at - it gives me visual flashbacks. We were going to do Winnipeg, Saskatoon, Regina, and Edmonton, but Frankie came right on the last week of school, so we had to settle for two. Next year, though, watchout. :) I can't wait to hear his next album live. And I haven't even got the official version of Show Me Your Tears yet... <sigh>

As for the FTP site, check out the FAQ and there's all the information you should need in there. And then some.

Edited by - Cult_Of_Frank on 06/15/2003 00:14:11
Go to Top of Page

theonecontender
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
565 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2003 :  02:24:04  Show Profile  Visit theonecontender's Homepage
every muscle knot I feel.....
Go to Top of Page

theonecontender
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
565 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2003 :  02:36:49  Show Profile  Visit theonecontender's Homepage
5. Six-sixty-six (not on CBC)

CBC is lame.
Go to Top of Page

theonecontender
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
565 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2003 :  02:40:21  Show Profile  Visit theonecontender's Homepage
or maybe red tape is lame

share all music
Go to Top of Page

theonecontender
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
565 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2003 :  02:40:51  Show Profile  Visit theonecontender's Homepage
I saw the profits of the .................
Go to Top of Page

mrgrieves1971
= Cult of Ray =

USA
544 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2003 :  07:08:02  Show Profile
This may be obvious to most, but not me. What is an ftp site?
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2003 :  10:02:04  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage
I don't miss Six-sixty-six, except for completeness' sake (I really do dislike it, though it'a the only one of all the songs Frank performs). He obviously enjoys it, though, so good enough for me. But I'd like to get the rest. Especially Sister Isabelle, it was pretty rocking.

Look in the FAQ for information on an FTP site, what it is, etc.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000