Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Off Topic!
 Suggestion Box / Website Discussion
 WANTED: Graphics Person - Make This Site Prettier!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 20

Dave Noisy
Minister of Chaos

Canada
4496 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2003 :  14:08:26  Show Profile  Visit Dave Noisy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wow guys, GREAT WORK!

I *LOVE* the Forum heading, especially with the face and cat!!! Brilliant! Jeopardy font..too funny.

I really like the stars with the outlines, they are golden.

I've checked out the code for the icons, it's pretty easy for me to adjust, tho i wouldn't want to make them too much bigger, as they'd be bigger downloads and start to do weird things to the layout of the Forum.

Do you guys (besides Jim and Dean ;) want me to give them a go?

The log-out is cool too.

Not crazy about the spades/clubs/etc..i'd rather not limit the theme to one album.. The heading is a quick and easy change, but the icons take a lot more work to change.

The sizes are a little wonky.. Best thing you can do is go to http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/sf2k/sf2k_v34_03.zip and download it from that page (note, it's a page, not a zip-file.) Then you can work with the original icons and filenames, which'll save me from renaming them all. =)

Thanks Active Duck and Chroneos..keep at it!!
Go to Top of Page

Chroneos
- FB Fan -

USA
198 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2003 :  14:25:26  Show Profile  Visit Chroneos's Homepage  Reply with Quote
To add in the peekaboo look to a non-lossy image, I could do it or send Derek the .psd I've been working with.

---
Okay, so until next time, who put the 'ween' in Halloween? I don't know, probably you, you freakin' weirdo.
Go to Top of Page

ProverbialCereal
- FB TabMaster -

USA
2953 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2003 :  15:24:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
what's a non-lossy image? something to do with pixels?

You can redo the peekaboo thing if everybody seriously likes it. I actually was just having fun but I guess it does look kinda cool in a funny way. I'm also not sure what .psd stands for.

-Derek
Go to Top of Page

Chroneos
- FB Fan -

USA
198 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2003 :  15:27:34  Show Profile  Visit Chroneos's Homepage  Reply with Quote
JPEG compresses the image, thus quality is lost, kinda like mp3s are lossy and a 128kbps mp3 is nowhere near cda

---
Okay, so until next time, who put the 'ween' in Halloween? I don't know, probably you, you freakin' weirdo.
Go to Top of Page

Chroneos
- FB Fan -

USA
198 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2003 :  15:31:14  Show Profile  Visit Chroneos's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Here's one with the cat...a FB headshot seems tricky, and sorta crowded when I try...

http://www.chroneos.com/images/fbforum/frankblackforum2.jpg

---

Edited by - Chroneos on 09/07/2003 21:36:54
Go to Top of Page

ProverbialCereal
- FB TabMaster -

USA
2953 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2003 :  15:43:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So what doesn't compress the image? Does GIF?

Or did the image I made get twice compressed because I used your JPEG and then saved it as a JPEG again?

-Derek
Go to Top of Page

ProverbialCereal
- FB TabMaster -

USA
2953 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2003 :  15:44:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh, and I like how there is a slight shadow of the cat against the "M"

-Derek
Go to Top of Page

Chroneos
- FB Fan -

USA
198 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2003 :  15:48:09  Show Profile  Visit Chroneos's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yeah, resaving JPEG compresses it more, I just use TIFF for lossless imaging.

The shadow was an unintentional good part, it seems, it's mostly from feathering the selected cat on a black background, deleting the background and adding the cat as a layer above "FORUM"

---
Go to Top of Page

Chroneos
- FB Fan -

USA
198 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2003 :  15:49:21  Show Profile  Visit Chroneos's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Oh, and .PSD is photoshop's lossless format which also keeps layers. On the forum logo I have "Frank Black" "FORUM" the cat and the background as their own layer.

---
Go to Top of Page

ProverbialCereal
- FB TabMaster -

USA
2953 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2003 :  17:27:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok, I thought .psd was something like that. I use Microsoft Picture It and i think it's called .png format or something.

-Derek
Go to Top of Page

Chroneos
- FB Fan -

USA
198 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2003 :  17:31:00  Show Profile  Visit Chroneos's Homepage  Reply with Quote
.PNG is lossless (or close to it) and a .GIF alternative, iirc.

---
Go to Top of Page

El Barto
= Song DB Master =

USA
4020 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2003 :  17:51:16  Show Profile  Visit El Barto's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Oh no! The peekaboo with the Frank Black is rediculous...that was a horribly freaky picture of him. The cat is cool though...what about taking the logo and putting a picture of FB or FB&TC in the background, kinda faded out. Would that work?

And what about the black background with the logout and the forum head? Wouldn't that look a little weird on the white? Perhaps put in some sort of border for the heading and make the logout look like a button?

---------
FRANK BLACK SATAN WORKSHIP BLACK MASS

Edited by - El Barto on 09/07/2003 17:53:49
Go to Top of Page

Chroneos
- FB Fan -

USA
198 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2003 :  17:56:25  Show Profile  Visit Chroneos's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Depends on the photo, good usable ones seem to be scarce.

---
Go to Top of Page

El Barto
= Song DB Master =

USA
4020 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2003 :  18:39:16  Show Profile  Visit El Barto's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Check the spinartrecords.com page. There's a section with art and photos, with a huge picture of FB&TC and some of FB alone, I believe. You could always just cut his head out from that picture and use it.

---------
Go to Top of Page

Chroneos
- FB Fan -

USA
198 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2003 :  19:35:33  Show Profile  Visit Chroneos's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Kinda like this?

http://www.chroneos.com/images/fbforum/frankblackforum3.jpg

---

Edited by - Chroneos on 09/07/2003 21:38:18
Go to Top of Page

ProverbialCereal
- FB TabMaster -

USA
2953 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2003 :  19:53:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey that's pretty cool!

But here I go again...

-Derek
Go to Top of Page

Dave Noisy
Minister of Chaos

Canada
4496 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2003 :  19:54:22  Show Profile  Visit Dave Noisy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looking good!

Now the trick is to get that to fit in a roughly 350x100 space...since that's about the space that's there..
Go to Top of Page

El Barto
= Song DB Master =

USA
4020 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2003 :  20:03:14  Show Profile  Visit El Barto's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Holy shit Derek, that's fucking hilarious! LOL. (see, it's not lame, is it?) Shit man, that's great. Chroneos, yeah that's superbad...how about making the pic of them black and white and making it a little less faded? I think if you're going to have to make it smaller, it'll be harder to tell that anything is there. Looks great so far!

---------
Go to Top of Page

Chroneos
- FB Fan -

USA
198 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2003 :  20:17:41  Show Profile  Visit Chroneos's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Made it a little wider, brighter b&w photo, looking at size tricks...

---

Edited by - Chroneos on 09/07/2003 21:39:26
Go to Top of Page

Chroneos
- FB Fan -

USA
198 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2003 :  20:19:51  Show Profile  Visit Chroneos's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hmm...280x178?

http://www.chroneos.com/images/fbforum/frankblackforum4-sm.jpg

---

Edited by - Chroneos on 09/07/2003 21:40:16
Go to Top of Page

El Barto
= Song DB Master =

USA
4020 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2003 :  21:22:14  Show Profile  Visit El Barto's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Holy shit, that's beautiful! I love it! Should we keep the cat?

---------
Go to Top of Page

Chroneos
- FB Fan -

USA
198 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2003 :  21:23:42  Show Profile  Visit Chroneos's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The cat's grown on me. ;)

---
Go to Top of Page

Chroneos
- FB Fan -

USA
198 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2003 :  21:32:25  Show Profile  Visit Chroneos's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Here's a cat-free version just for comparison:

vs.

The cat fills some dead space, fits with the scheme, etc.

---

Edited by - Chroneos on 09/07/2003 21:40:36
Go to Top of Page

Dave Noisy
Minister of Chaos

Canada
4496 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2003 :  21:42:07  Show Profile  Visit Dave Noisy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I like the cat..i have an idea, and i'm gonna take this to email.....incoming note Chroneos..
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2003 :  22:33:08  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I like better minus the cat, but perhaps it would grow too. It just feels stylistically out of place with the rest, but it's still quite tasty. Fantastic work!
Go to Top of Page

Active Duck
~ Abstract Brain ~

United Kingdom
410 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2003 :  07:04:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Go to Top of Page

Active Duck
~ Abstract Brain ~

United Kingdom
410 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2003 :  07:27:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2003 :  07:41:59  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Heh... I laughed out loud at the Cult-of-Ray emoticon. I hope you guys plan on being on the art team with those who contributed for the last album. You've both definitely got the skillz. With a z.

Dave, that little Cult of Frank... err... Ray icon has to be mine. I don't care how much code you have to change.
Go to Top of Page

El Barto
= Song DB Master =

USA
4020 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2003 :  10:17:57  Show Profile  Visit El Barto's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I like the sans cat version. Cool icons, AD! Love em.

---------
Go to Top of Page

mereubu
= FB QuizMistress =

USA
2677 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2003 :  10:55:11  Show Profile  Visit mereubu's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I prefer it with the cat--silliness is good. The catoticons are lovely as well.
Go to Top of Page

Steak n Sabre
* Dog in the Sand *

Uzbekistan
1013 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2003 :  11:31:14  Show Profile  Visit Steak n Sabre's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Some nice work here, keep the lucky kitty...
Go to Top of Page

El Barto
= Song DB Master =

USA
4020 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2003 :  11:45:34  Show Profile  Visit El Barto's Homepage  Reply with Quote
What about the cat in the bottom right corner not at an angle?

---------
Go to Top of Page

mereubu
= FB QuizMistress =

USA
2677 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2003 :  11:47:29  Show Profile  Visit mereubu's Homepage  Reply with Quote
But it's catty-corner!
Go to Top of Page

ProverbialCereal
- FB TabMaster -

USA
2953 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2003 :  12:03:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
haha.

i like it with the cat, and the cat at an angle seems fine with me. I mean, try it straight up, but it seems like everything else in the picture is vertical (the band, the fonts, even the cursive is straight up), so that cat-angle kinda varies it up and makes it more interesting.

-Derek
Go to Top of Page

ProverbialCereal
- FB TabMaster -

USA
2953 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2003 :  12:07:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One more thing.. maybe you could test the cat being on the left of the banner as opposed to the right. it might cover less of the "f" in frank than it does the "M" in forum. The cat's paw would then end up being on the bottom of the cat, unless you did a mirror effect with it and reversed it.

-Derek
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 20 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000