Playing The Angel
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

cassandra is
> Teenager of the Year <

France
4233 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2005 :  06:49:15  Show Profile  Visit cassandra is's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Anyone heard the new Depeche Mode?

I like it a lot, it's got a dirty sound, and it's darker than Exciter.

There are 5 songs that I would kill my neighbours for: John The Revelator, Precious, The Sinner In Me, A Pain That I'm Used To and Lilian

Some songs are real growers like Nothing's Impossible, Damaged People or The Darkest Star

I think that DM is perhaps one of the 5 bands of the whole pop-rock-electro scene that has never made a bad album.

I can't wait to see them this winter.

pas de bras pas de chocolat

TRANSMARINE
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
2002 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2005 :  09:01:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like the first half of PLAYING THE ANGEL. It sparks a bit of the old DM while retaining their current electrical current. Gone from DM is the pseudo-symphonic rapture and elegant poppy techno (before it was called 'techno') hooks. Unfortunately, SONGS OF FAITH AND DEVOTION (which I regard as a very fine album) has bled all of its boring elements into everything since. ULTRA was dismal. EXCITER was, I believe, of the last three, as good as anything they've ever done. It was much darker in it's sense of womb-like escape...and Dave Gahan had never performed more beautifully or angelically. PLAYING THE ANGEL is a 3 out of 5 star album. It grabs you from the start with an overpowering warning siren...as exciting as something from MUSIC FOR THE MASSES...and continues for 5 songs to be echoey pleasures of 80's DM...and then just as quickly reverts to an ULTRA bore.

I was alone...in my BIG BED

-bRIAN
Go to Top of Page

cassandra is
> Teenager of the Year <

France
4233 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2005 :  09:21:39  Show Profile  Visit cassandra is's Homepage  Reply with Quote
why don't you like Ultra? one of their best album IMO

Go to Top of Page

TRANSMARINE
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
2002 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2005 :  13:30:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cassandra is

why don't you like Ultra? one of their best album IMO

To me it said nothing. DM felt sludgy and computerish...no longer intricate in sound, just muddy tones and blips...and the lyrical edge had fallen off itself. Thats just my opinion as well, I don't mean to offend. I used to see them in high school back in the 80's and they were my musical idols at the time. I'm somewhere screaming in the 101 album! Don't get me wrong cassandra is...I luv 'em, and I miss 'em, but I will always listen to what they put out.

I was alone...in my BIG BED

-bRIAN
Go to Top of Page

cassandra is
> Teenager of the Year <

France
4233 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2005 :  13:35:16  Show Profile  Visit cassandra is's Homepage  Reply with Quote
well, you've absolutely the right to dislike Ultra, I was just curious to know why

Go to Top of Page

hWolsky
= Cult of Ray =

France
696 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2005 :  02:18:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A good album, coherent, very good songs, evolution in their voices (Martin Gore's vibrato is nice).
Typical DM themes: love, redemption, hidden sins to be forgiven... but the mood of the music suits it fine.
My favorite: Nothing's impossible! A good powerful song, could have been a great Marilyn Manson's song if the latter still had talent...

I think your relationship with an artists is drawn from the first album you discover. For DM, it was Ultra, and it was for a long time a reference point for me. I moved backward in their discography and it was very, very pleasant but I can understand why 'older' fans do not dig paricularly this album.

Go to Top of Page

hWolsky
= Cult of Ray =

France
696 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2005 :  02:20:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Cool, are you coming to Paris to see them? I'll be there too, but for the first date, what about you?

Go to Top of Page

cassandra is
> Teenager of the Year <

France
4233 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2005 :  03:13:24  Show Profile  Visit cassandra is's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hWolsky

quote:

Cool, are you coming to Paris to see them? I'll be there too, but for the first date, what about you?

No they play here in Toulouse, and I hope that the Zenith is gonna be more "intimate" than the P.O.B.

Go to Top of Page

cassandra is
> Teenager of the Year <

France
4233 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2006 :  09:03:21  Show Profile  Visit cassandra is's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Retrospectively I really think it's one of their best albums. Very thick record. All songs are good (even the Gahan ones), some are just perfect. It's darker than Exciter and they are proving one time again that they are still one of the best bands of all times.

Go to Top of Page

vilainde
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2006 :  09:28:21  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I bought it recently and I'm unimpressed. It's my first DM album so I can't compare with the others.

Denis

I love Guitar Wolf from the Erath!
Go to Top of Page

cassandra is
> Teenager of the Year <

France
4233 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2006 :  09:32:15  Show Profile  Visit cassandra is's Homepage  Reply with Quote
it's a grower

Go to Top of Page

kelladwella
= Cult of Ray =

Germany
729 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2006 :  14:16:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, I think so, too.
It definitely has substance. Some very good songs and with a rough feeling to it.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000