New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

darwin
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

USA
5448 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2005 :  21:39:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've stayed out of the politics on here lately but this one is unbelievable to me. According to the Red Cross the reason they haven't been in New Orleans giving out aid for the past 5 days is that the Homeland Security Department told them they couldn't go in. The reason? If they were giving the people food and water it would be hard to get them to leave the city. So, the United States government starves its people and risks their deaths so that they can more easily relocate them. I think this shit is going to hit the fan if it is true.

http://www.redcross.org/faq/0,1096,0_682_4524,00.html#4524

Edited by - darwin on 09/02/2005 21:43:20

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2005 :  21:48:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What?!
Go to Top of Page

starmekitten
-= Forum Pistolera =-

United Kingdom
6370 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2005 :  05:43:59  Show Profile  Visit starmekitten's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thats unbelievable and I hope for everyones sake it isn't the case.
How could you bear to live under a government that would allow that? Let alone encourage it. Sick.
Go to Top of Page

zub_the_goat
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
639 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2005 :  06:19:51  Show Profile  Visit zub_the_goat's Homepage  Click to see zub_the_goat's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
alll i can do is echo that disbelife, from what ive seen its the poor and the vulnerable and particularly the sick who are the ones stuck there, the people who really need help being abandoned by their own government yet again
Go to Top of Page

ObfuscateByWill
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1884 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2005 :  13:05:42  Show Profile  Visit ObfuscateByWill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
A few of the counties in my area were planning on sening aid crews to help out for a couple of weeks. Mostly sheriff's deputies and EMTs.

They were half way there when contacted by the authorities in LA and told to turn back.

-

Homeland Security is pulling it's own employees to create additional teams to aid the refugees. I think some places are culling their meager local budgets to buy supplies.

Several of my peers are already there moving folks about.

-

quote:
How could you bear to live under a government that would allow that? Let alone encourage it. Sick.

It's the state Homeland Security Dept. the Red Cross mentions. Formerly the Louisiana Office of Emergency Preparedness.

*Take a bite of the chocolate coffin.

Edited by - ObfuscateByWill on 09/03/2005 13:07:21
Go to Top of Page

darwin

USA
5448 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2005 :  14:01:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, the quote does say the state department, but other sources are pointing towards a federal decision. Things seem to be too confusing right now to know who is making the decisions. Either way it seems cold-blooded to me, especially when the people don't have adequate means to leave the city. There is also a story circulating about Al Gore having lined up 2 commercial airliners to fly to N.O. to pick up patients from hospitals, but FEMA turned him down because they don't deal with private citizens. Again not confirmed.
Go to Top of Page

50 Pence
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
284 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2005 :  14:06:34  Show Profile  Visit 50 Pence's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This will teach the US for having a stupid federal goverment system.
I have no idea how they have let the distaster get outta control so rapidly, terrible.

Blats
Go to Top of Page

Atheist4Catholics
= Cult of Ray =

USA
925 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2005 :  22:32:59  Show Profile  Visit Atheist4Catholics's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Granted, the Red Cross might not want to get shot at for trying to bring food to New Orleans...

Will I ever reach 1000?

For more information on rock, visit www.timfranklin.net
Go to Top of Page

darwin

USA
5448 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2005 :  22:40:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Atheist4Catholics

Granted, the Red Cross might not want to get shot at for trying to bring food to New Orleans...

That isn't what they said in the link I posted and only adds disinformation to the situation.

"Acess to New Orleans is controlled by the National Guard and local authorities and while we are in constant contact with them, we simply cannot enter New Orleans against their orders. The state Homeland Security Department had requested--and continues to request--that the American Red Cross not come back into New Orleans following the hurricane."

This may have changed in the past couple of days.
Go to Top of Page

Oil Boy
- FB Fan -

USA
40 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2005 :  09:17:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I could not believe the slow response time of the federal government. The whole operation was a disaster. I watched the news every night last week in shock that no one was helping these people. Babies were dying & all they needed was some water. I had already strongly felt that George W Bush was the worst president in the history of the United States but this blew away my wildest expectations of his incompetence. He & his hyped up Homeland Security Department did nothing while innocent citizens of his own country died. Yes, there were some idiots that refused to leave and & some idiots that started shooting guns at the rescuers but this can't excuse the tens of thousands of innocent people trapped in New Orleans. And Mississippi & Alabama were equally ignored by the feds. At least things are finally getting better but those images I saw last week will haunt me for the rest of my life.
Go to Top of Page

Erebus
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1834 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2005 :  13:33:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It does indeed appear that the Red Cross was held back by Louisiana state government officials. Incidentally, if one googles for: "Major Garrett" "Red Cross" Louisiana Katrina ; one does not find the foxnews.com linked story. I don't understand. Please correct me if I've got this wrong.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,168799,00.html :

HUME: But look, I mean, they’re down there. The Red Cross, for example, is there.

GARRETT: Standing by, ready.

HUME: Standing by, ready. Why didn’t FEMA send the Red Cross into New Orleans when we had all of those people there on that bridge overpass and elsewhere?

GARRETT: At the Superdome (search), at the convention center...

HUME: Lack of water, right. Why not?

GARRETT: First of all, no jurisdiction. FEMA works with the Red Cross, the Salvation Army, and other organizations, but it has no direct control to order them to go one place or the other.

Secondarily, the Red Cross was ready. I just got off the phone with one of their officials. They had a vanguard, Brit, of trucks with water, food, hygiene equipment, all sorts of things ready to go, where? To the Superdome and the convention center.

Why weren’t they there? The Louisiana Department of Homeland Security told them they could not go.

HUME: Now, this is the Louisiana — this isn’t the Louisiana branch of the federal Homeland Security? This is...

GARRETT: The state’s own agency devoted to the state’s homeland security. They told them, "You cannot go there."

Why? The Red Cross tells me that state agency in Louisiana said, "Look, we do not want to create a magnet for more to come to the Superdome or the convention center. We want to get them out."

So at the same time local officials were screaming, "Where is the food? Where is the water?" The Red Cross was standing by ready. The Louisiana Department of Homeland Security said, "You can’t go."
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000