Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

peter radiator
= Cult of Ray =

USA
649 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2003 :  17:54:14  Show Profile
Alright everyone,
I know in some earlier posts a few months back I spouted off about how it was futile to constently pine for a Pixies reunion when Frank was obviously having so much fun with The Catholics and steadfastly refused to dwell in the past.

Well, I never thought I'd regret being so cocky about anything, but I am now.

A lifelong friend of mine worked for Elektra records from about 1986 till 1990. He started out as a radio promo guy and eventually made it as far as being a Vice President of A & R. I'm not going to mention his name 'cause he'll be pissed, but suffice it to say he still works in the business as the marketing director for the hard rock division of a very well-known label owned by Sony Entertainment.

During his time at Elektra, he played a great part in getting the Pixies music played on college radio, and has remained on good terms with most of the bandmembers since then. He's been hinting to me for about two months now that something really big was in the works for the group, but I just assumed it was the 4AD reissues or the DVD thing that Jo keeps promising on this board.

I got this e-mail from him last night while I was at work and was so blown away, that I'm not even going to bother paraphrasing or putting any of my own spin on it. Check this shit out.

>Jim,
You know the Pixies thing I was telling you about. Well, it won't be officially announced till early May, but now that it's a done deal, I just wanted to give you a heads up. They're getting back together! The contracts were signed a few days before this Catholics tour, but it took till now to lock in the U.S. dates. They're going to do approx. 2 weeks worth of American shows in late June and if all goes well, they'll hit Europe and the Far East in July. That's all they're committed to, and everyone involved that I've talked to says it absolutely won't go beyond that. From what I can tell, the main reason for this is the stateside reissues and the renewed interest in the band from all the skatepunks and shit like that. Joey told me that ever since Frank began to add some of the old songs back into his sets and saw the reaction they got, he's been starting to thaw out a bit on the whole idea. All four of them hung out together for a few days in L.A. in February, and it was the first time they'd all been in the same room together without any lawyers in almost 10 years. I wouldn't go so far as to say they're getting along famously, but they've apparently settled enough of their problems to make this thing a go for now. Kim told me that the Camper Van thing really sealed the deal. They watched those guys bury the hatchet and get back out there in support of that Spinart box, and everywhere they go, people are falling all over themselves. Most of those CVB crowds are made up of kids who weren't even old enough to see them when they were around the first time. Plus, there's the money factor. Frank's the only one really making any serious dough off music, and this is a chance for the rest of them to have one last cash-out before they part ways for good. Kim's in better shape now than she's been in years, and Lovering's been eating up the Pixie fans on the road, so this is the first time it's ever made sense. It's my understanding that at Frank's insistence, they will ONLY play old songs. Nothing new will be written or rehearsed, and there will be no new studio album, although I can only assume they'll release a live set or video from the tour. Potential setlists are being hammered out over the next few days. They've also hired Eric Feldman to play keys and samples again, and Rob Laufer to play additional guitar stuff like Pete and Ken did for R.E.M.'s shows. This is a pretty big deal, so instead of using the Catholics' booking guy, they've hired Frank Riley out at High Road Entertainment to handle everything (didn' t you do something with him back when he was with Monterey Peninsula?). He finished locking in the USA dates a few days ago, and booked the rooms under some fake band name so specifics can't leak out before the actual press release in May. Most of the shows are in theatres that seat between 2,500 and 5,000, but there are supposed to be a few surprise small club dates along the way. No opening acts yet, but they're considering using unknown local bands. They're only playing major markets, so you'll probably have to drive to Atlanta or Tampa. In Europe, they'll do summer festivals instead of theatres or halls. There's already talk of some double bills with Bowie (!). There's also going to be TONS of merchandise for this thing. Shirts, posters, the whole deal. Tannis Root got the licensing for the shirts and are going to make a killing. This is all totally legit. I'll probably be able to score some tix and maybe some backstage stuff, and hopefully we can hook up for a show or two. What's mine is yours. More info later. Pretty fucking awesome, huh???

------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's it, folks. When I know more, I'll pass it on. Is there anyone else out there who knew about this but has been keeping their mouth shut?

~ Peter Radiator

"Real music is out there and real people are making it." ~ Webb Wilder

NimrodsSon
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1938 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2003 :  18:28:40  Show Profile
god-damn it that is cool. I just hope I'll be able to go. I know my parents won't let me because they're all christian and everything and usually don't let me go to concerts so I'll have to find a way to get into this one. I live in Atlanta so I guess I probably won't have to travel (hahaha!!). I hope they put Motorway to Roswell on the setlist though, I'd sell my fucking soul away to hear that song live in person. Thanks for the great news!!!!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

El Barto
= Song DB Master =

USA
4020 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2003 :  18:50:59  Show Profile  Visit El Barto's Homepage
April Fools? I don't like the idea...FB sells out?
Go to Top of Page

Chris Knight
= Cult of Ray =

USA
899 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2003 :  19:00:15  Show Profile  Visit Chris Knight's Homepage
Great post.
Go to Top of Page

mereubu
= FB QuizMistress =

USA
2677 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2003 :  19:36:45  Show Profile  Visit mereubu's Homepage
Gee, if this is true, it kinda' explains that big ol' bus, hunh? Thanks for the scoop Peter.

This also sheds some light on jo's cryptic comment from 2/25 in the Pixies re-release thread:

"it might not be happening after all.... stay tuned :)"

Edited by - mereubu on 04/01/2003 19:47:12
Go to Top of Page

Visiting Sasquatch
= Cult of Ray =

USA
451 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2003 :  19:45:05  Show Profile
April Fools??? Ack!
Go to Top of Page

Sheamus
= Cult of Ray =

Australia
345 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2003 :  19:58:22  Show Profile  Visit Sheamus's Homepage  Click to see Sheamus's MSN Messenger address
This is an April Fools joke right? April Fools is over, so you can now confirm if it was or wasn't.

Even if they did reform, they probably wouldn't play in Australia :(
Go to Top of Page

Itchload
= Cult of Ray =

USA
891 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2003 :  20:42:54  Show Profile
Good one.
Go to Top of Page

Atheist4Catholics
= Cult of Ray =

USA
925 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2003 :  21:09:34  Show Profile  Visit Atheist4Catholics's Homepage
Someone hold me. I'm scared.

www.mp3.com/clootie
Go to Top of Page

KingOfSiam
- FB LinkMaster -

USA
460 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2003 :  06:28:01  Show Profile
I'll believe it when I see it!!!!
Go to Top of Page

bazza
* Dog in the Sand *

Ireland
1439 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2003 :  06:46:33  Show Profile
im sceptical - yet excited. that would be cool but its gotta be an april fools.

There may be no 'I' in team, but there's a 'ME' if you look hard enough.
Go to Top of Page

ramona
"FB Quote Mistress"

USA
3988 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2003 :  07:18:29  Show Profile  Visit ramona's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Atheist4Catholics

Someone hold me. I'm scared.

That rules, Atheist.

This would be very cool if true....I will take it with a big grain of salt...
Go to Top of Page

Chip Away Boy
= Cult of Ray =

914 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2003 :  11:39:33  Show Profile
totally april fools
Go to Top of Page

NimrodsSon
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1938 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2003 :  11:54:20  Show Profile
yeah probably and i fell for it, god i'm a dumbass
Go to Top of Page

mdisanto
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1140 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2003 :  12:04:21  Show Profile  Visit mdisanto's Homepage
hah its too coincidental that he posted it on april fools, its pretty convincing though, good one hah

-miked
Go to Top of Page

NimrodsSon
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1938 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2003 :  12:16:47  Show Profile
hell I was even thinking early yesterday that there would be some april fools joke related to that on this forum and then I completely forgot last night then it hit me this morning that it was all a joke and I've been nervously waiting to get home from school and see myself be made a fool of
Go to Top of Page

Atheist4Catholics
= Cult of Ray =

USA
925 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2003 :  12:18:09  Show Profile  Visit Atheist4Catholics's Homepage
Whether it's a joke or not, it made me think about the reality of seeing a reunited Pixies live and I think my and most people's reaction would be disappointment. We all have a glamorized hindsight of The Pixies but after seeing The Catholics live, I think they would pale in comparison. Scott's better than Dave, David's better than Kim, Joey is amazing, but there's only one of him and he can't play lap steel or keys like Dave and Rich. The only appeal as far as I'm concerned is hearing Frank belt out nothing but Pixies songs all night, but I'd rather he extended his current Pixies repertoire and stuck to his guns about staying solo. What attracted me to The Pixies was their hyperactivity and their recklessness and I can't imagine that would be the same.

I thought I would want a reunion, but now I don't think I do.

That's not to say I wouldn't be there front and center for every east coast show I could get my grubby hands on.

www.mp3.com/clootie
Go to Top of Page

lofiscifi
- FB Fan -

USA
53 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2003 :  12:35:08  Show Profile
pretty convincing... someone has a little knowledge of the industry (frank riley/high road touring, tannis root, etc).
also helping to lend some credibility to this letter, is that it does appear that all of the members could have been in los angeles in february.
there’s also the coincidence that both the catholics and the breeders tours appear to wrap up at the end of april (leaving the door open for some pixies practices in may).

- lofiscifi
Go to Top of Page

mereubu
= FB QuizMistress =

USA
2677 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2003 :  13:19:15  Show Profile  Visit mereubu's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by NimrodsSon

hell I was even thinking early yesterday that there would be some april fools joke related to that on this forum and then I completely forgot last night then it hit me this morning that it was all a joke and I've been nervously waiting to get home from school and see myself be made a fool of

Well, if it's a hoax, you won't catch any flack from me, youngun. You get extra coolness points for being 14 and already into Frank Black.
Go to Top of Page

El Barto
= Song DB Master =

USA
4020 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2003 :  14:14:56  Show Profile  Visit El Barto's Homepage
Out with it man...is this an April Fools joke or what? I don't see it happening, and honestly I would lose a bit of respect for FB if they actually did get back together (although it would be kinda neat, but still). Also, how can one say that FB is the only one making money from music? The Breeders should most definitely be making some money. Title TK fucking rocks.
Go to Top of Page

lofiscifi
- FB Fan -

USA
53 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2003 :  14:33:41  Show Profile
i think it's most definitely a joke...
btw - title tk does indeed rock, el barto.

- lofiscifi
Go to Top of Page

PsychicTwin
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1772 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2003 :  14:47:36  Show Profile  Visit PsychicTwin's Homepage
Such a cruel, cruel joke. But damn, that is some April Fools swindle. had me going for a few seconds there...
Go to Top of Page

riverfelix
- FB Fan -

Belgium
38 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2003 :  00:27:54  Show Profile  Visit riverfelix's Homepage
quote:
[Scott's better than Dave, David's better than Kim, Joey is amazing, but there's only one of him and he can't play lap steel or keys like Dave and Rich.

Atheist, I think that is besides the point.
Frank ain't the greatest guitarplayer either!
What I want to say is: even if you can play guitar like Steve Vai or Joe Satriani, that doesn't mean you're a brilliant songwriter like Frank is.
Go to Top of Page

Sheamus
= Cult of Ray =

Australia
345 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2003 :  08:27:00  Show Profile  Visit Sheamus's Homepage  Click to see Sheamus's MSN Messenger address
Yeah, I hardly think technical proficency is any indication of how good a band is. There is a LOT more to it than that. Some of the greatest bands ever have not been the most talented musicians.
Go to Top of Page

Sheamus
= Cult of Ray =

Australia
345 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2003 :  08:35:49  Show Profile  Visit Sheamus's Homepage  Click to see Sheamus's MSN Messenger address
As it is, the most powerful live musical performance I've ever seen involved only one man and one guitar; a Billy Bragg solo show.
Go to Top of Page

peter radiator
= Cult of Ray =

USA
649 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2003 :  15:40:58  Show Profile
quote:

Whether it's a joke or not, it made me think about the reality of seeing a reunited Pixies live and I think my and most people's reaction would be disappointment. We all have a glamorized hindsight of The Pixies but after seeing The Catholics live, I think they would pale in comparison. Scott's better than Dave, David's better than Kim, Joey is amazing, but there's only one of him and he can't play lap steel or keys like Dave and Rich. The only appeal as far as I'm concerned is hearing Frank belt out nothing but Pixies songs all night, but I'd rather he extended his current Pixies repertoire and stuck to his guns about staying solo. What attracted me to The Pixies was their hyperactivity and their recklessness and I can't imagine that would be the same.

I thought I would want a reunion, but now I don't think I do.

That's not to say I wouldn't be there front and center for every east coast show I could get my grubby hands on.

www.mp3.com/clootie

Sorry it took me so long to respond, but I just HAD to let it hit 300 views (cue rimshot).

April Fools .

While I disagree vehemently with the part about some of The Catholics being "better" than some of the Pixies (it's like comparing apples and oranges - they're all extremely good at the particular things they do – although The Catholics by their very nature appear to be a more versatile unit), I agree in general with Atheist4Catholics.

Things change and dedicated artists move on, even when their enthusiasts find it hard to.

In fact, that was my real impetus for starting this thread: to stimulate a dialogue on that exact subject – whether online or merely in the minds of FB/Pixies/Breeders/Martinis fans.

And of course, hoping to make some people smile.

Thanks everyone for being a part of www.frankblack.net.

~ Peter Radiator

Go to Top of Page

Stuart
- The Clopser -

China
2291 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2003 :  17:27:59  Show Profile  Visit Stuart's Homepage
Nice gag mate, had it not been for April Fools, in fact, had someone not pointed out that it was written on April 1st then I totally believed what you wrote. I was ready to book a flight home, or to the Far East to catch the gig..... kind of glad that it isn't happening though, not just for personal financial reasons.

International Air Guitar Hitman
Go to Top of Page

Omer
= Cult of Ray =

275 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2003 :  01:33:42  Show Profile
I'm glad there's no Pixies reunion. I would've gone, of course, but it would've been a sell out nonetheless.
Go to Top of Page

jo
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
516 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2003 :  06:52:18  Show Profile  Visit jo's Homepage
hehehe, I only just read this now, that was funny :)

you should have said something about them feeling that the time was right, as Throwing Muses have recently successfully proved! (anyone going to the BOston or NY TM shows? See you there...)

oh my comment wasn't cryptic, it was just that the US reissues aren't going to be remastered - it had never been confirmed, and was looking less and less likely each day... they're just straight reissues and nothing extra...
Go to Top of Page

Atheist4Catholics
= Cult of Ray =

USA
925 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2003 :  07:22:54  Show Profile  Visit Atheist4Catholics's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by riverfelix

quote:
[Scott's better than Dave, David's better than Kim, Joey is amazing, but there's only one of him and he can't play lap steel or keys like Dave and Rich.

Atheist, I think that is besides the point.
Frank ain't the greatest guitarplayer either!
What I want to say is: even if you can play guitar like Steve Vai or Joe Satriani, that doesn't mean you're a brilliant songwriter like Frank is.

Blah blah blah whatever. I'm not talking about technical proficiency, I'm talking about rock. Steve Vai is a waste of groceries. All I was trying to say was that I think with the exception of Joey that I like the way the Pixies songs sound with the Catholics better than the original. Of course I can appreciate the sloppy punk asthetic and I think Dave and Kim are great players (I was even in correspondance with Dave to play on my album), but The Catholics kick their asses live. That's all I'm saying.

Besides, Frank is one of my favorite guitar players. He's an excellent rhythm player and does things that no one else does. Rhythm players always have more balls than the solo guys. I'd take a David Byrne or Andy Partridge over an Eddie Van Halen anyday

www.mp3.com/clootie
Go to Top of Page

interloper
= Cult of Ray =

440 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2003 :  08:49:41  Show Profile
Don't get me wrong, I loved and love the Pixies, but a reunite would be stupid. Just plain pointless. Part of the beauty was the time frame and circumstance that the band existed in. It would be totally unmagical and contrived. Let em all grow up for godsake.

Go to Top of Page

The Holiday Son
= Quote Accumulator =

France
1994 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2003 :  09:52:27  Show Profile  Visit The Holiday Son's Homepage
I think that if the reunion was truely happening, we'd ALL go see them play! Especially those of us who never saw them!

That said, I agree that the Catholics are probably better performers and I'm so happy they now play Pixies tunes.
Go to Top of Page

Chris Knight
= Cult of Ray =

USA
899 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2003 :  14:17:29  Show Profile  Visit Chris Knight's Homepage
Re: Dave Lovering playing on Tim's album

Details? Or was it a no go?
Go to Top of Page

stymie
= Cult of Ray =

385 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2003 :  20:36:49  Show Profile  Visit stymie's Homepage
Has to be an april fools joke! Sounds great though! I'd love to be a part of it!
Go to Top of Page

Mellzah
- FB Fan -

63 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2003 :  11:06:00  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by peter radiator

Sorry it took me so long to respond, but I just HAD to let it hit 300 views (cue rimshot).

April Fools .

While I disagree vehemently with the part about some of The Catholics being "better" than some of the Pixies (it's like comparing apples and oranges - they're all extremely good at the particular things they do – although The Catholics by their very nature appear to be a more versatile unit), I agree in general with Atheist4Catholics.

Things change and dedicated artists move on, even when their enthusiasts find it hard to.

In fact, that was my real impetus for starting this thread: to stimulate a dialogue on that exact subject – whether online or merely in the minds of FB/Pixies/Breeders/Martinis fans.

And of course, hoping to make some people smile.

Thanks everyone for being a part of www.frankblack.net.

That was a pretty cruel joke, there. People have been known to get kicked in the little catholics for jokes like that.
Go to Top of Page

peter radiator
= Cult of Ray =

USA
649 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2003 :  12:29:30  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Mellzah
That was a pretty cruel joke, there. People have been known to get kicked in the little catholics for jokes like that.

Oh, it wasn't THAT cruel, was it?

You'd really kick me?

~ Peter Radiator

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000