Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

therewererumours
* Dog in the Sand *

Ireland
1240 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2005 :  18:53:58  Show Profile  Visit therewererumours's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I just got home and am pretty drunk, cheers Carl, Oisin, Bazza and Mike for making this an FB.net Pixies concert. Had a great fucking time. Thanks to Oisin( who moshed and managed to type the setlist into his phone at the same time)!, I have a set list here that I will try and decypher

Wave of Mutilation (UK Surf)
Lady in the Radiator Song
Where is my Mind
Here Comes Your Man
Nimrod's Son
The Holiday Song
Mr. Grieves
Vamos
Is She Weird
Bone Machine
No.13 Baby
I Bleed
Monkey Gone to Heaven
Wave of Mutilation
Alison
Broken Face
Isla De Encanta
River Euphrates
Caribou
The Sad Punk
Hey
Gouge Away
Cactus
Debaser
Tame
Planet of Sound
(encore) Gigantic

Cheers again to Oisin for getting all this while I was jumping around. We got in the pit and were pretty close, might have some photos to post if there not all of the crowds heads

Join the Cult of

Edited by - therewererumours on 08/24/2005 09:49:15

OldManInaCoffeeCan
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1467 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2005 :  19:00:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by therewererumours

I just got home and am pretty drunk, cheers Carl, Oisin, Bazza and Mike for making this an FB.net Pixies concert. Had a great fucking time.
Join the Cult of

Ha! Now that's what I'm talking about! Post up some more specifics.

therewererumours
* Dog in the Sand *

Ireland
1240 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2005 :  19:42:55  Show Profile  Visit therewererumours's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm going to bed! Post in mornin..............

Join the Cult of
Go to Top of Page

bazza
* Dog in the Sand *

Ireland
1439 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2005 :  02:21:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
what happened to you barra?!! you werent that tanked when we met you. must have been the buckfast you sneaked into the gig. Anyway - gig was great. sound was awful though. am disappointed i paid 60 euros NOT to hear the pixies.

Maybe, just once, someone will call me "sir" without adding, "you're making a scene."
Go to Top of Page

Ten Percenter
- FB Enquirer -

United Kingdom
1733 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2005 :  02:27:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry to hear about the poor sound quality. Was the sound poor for all of the bands?

"Fried food, cigarettes, no exercise, chest pain..." (Excerpt from the Angina Monologues)
Go to Top of Page

Foucaults Dog
- FB Fan -

Ireland
124 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2005 :  02:28:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The pixies played a blinder as usual...how come Joey can get away with the Spinal Tap stuff without coming off as, well Spinal Tap??? And what was the story with "THE WAVE of Mutilation" ? :)

I did enjoy the gig, they'll always be No. 1, but I came away feeling that it was somehow lacking. Perhaps it was the volume (seemed a wee bit quiet for my liking) or this curfew shite...I just don't know. Perhaps I've seen Charles & Co. play so many more intimate and powerful gigs where I'm usually completely overwhelmed. Last night I wasn't???

Saying that, it's all relative as a not-so-great pixies gig is better than the Best fron most other bands...they'll always be better than anyone else!

I just wanna see Frank again
Go to Top of Page

Ziggy
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
2411 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2005 :  03:20:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is indeed a brilliant setlist.
Go to Top of Page

frank_black_
- FB Fan -

Ireland
105 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2005 :  03:59:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have to say I really didn't notice the sound being bad or anything but I was so happy with where I was. I was at the barrier in pit one so I pretty much could not have been closer if i had tried. Tame and Planet of sound where absolutly amzaing and i got goosebumps during where is my mind, here comes your man, and gouge away. I was kinda worreid near hte beginning of the whoel concert because the crowd seemed really dead but it picked up for KL and then everyone seemed to know all the pixies lyrics, even their less well known songs like Is She Wierd? I'm so jealous because my freind got Joey's plec, but overall it was a fantastic night.

"Who doesn't like the ******* Who?" ~ Frank Black

Edited by - frank_black_ on 08/24/2005 04:02:43
Go to Top of Page

number 13
= Cult of Ray =

286 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2005 :  04:01:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A brilliant setlist? I've just seen two Bossanova songs and two from Trompe Le Monde. No new songs, contrary at what they were saying. A usual setlist.
Go to Top of Page

kelladwella
= Cult of Ray =

Germany
729 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2005 :  04:30:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by number 13

No new songs, contrary at what they were saying.

What were they saying?

And who is they? The Pixies or the promoter or the press?
Go to Top of Page

frank_black_
- FB Fan -

Ireland
105 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2005 :  05:31:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kelladwella

quote:
Originally posted by number 13

No new songs, contrary at what they were saying.

What were they saying?

And who is they? The Pixies or the promoter or the press?

I thought it was just press speculation so you can't blae them for that

Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2005 :  05:39:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They were great, I did'nt get a pit pass (Johnny come lately), but I had a decent view from behind the barrier! Got a few snaps with a disposable camera, if they come out ok, I'll post some, but Barry got some good photos with a decent camera!! Sadly, there was no Alec Eiffel which they've played at some shows, (and no Dead-I'd love to hear Something Against You too, Break My Body also, but I don't believe they've played that since the reunion!). Frank sat down during the noisy break in Vamos and watched Joey go nuts!! Great use of coloured smoke! They did'nt say much, apart from Kim saying 'Oh, it's Lady In The Radiator Song' or something like that before they played In Heaven, like as if she was going to play the wrong song, and saying goodnight to each other and the crowd! Frank told Kim not to stay up late!! Frank walked up and down the stage and waved to everybody! Thanks to Barry and Oisin for a great buzz-the FB.Netters wher in full effect!!
Go to Top of Page

the_o
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
18 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2005 :  07:24:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
my damn flight got delayed so i didnt get there untill there was already a crowd, managed to get to the front of the normal section but no pit pass, how did you get those things? getting there early? anyway i'd say it was a really good gig despite the majority of songs not being from Bossanova or Trompe (which i still think are far better than their other albums), apparently the sound wasnt very good near the back, but it was fine where i was.
Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2005 :  08:23:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, it was okay near the front, not the best sound in world, though. I did'nt get a pit pass, and yes, you do have to get there early to get one!
Go to Top of Page

d4vid
- FB Fan -

Ireland
3 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2005 :  08:38:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was right at the front barrier in pit 1. ^_^. Who was that faggit that threw a bottle at frank?
Go to Top of Page

Foucaults Dog
- FB Fan -

Ireland
124 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2005 :  09:11:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I was in the pit too (there was only 1) and sound wasn't great, vocals were really low and the guitars lacked punch...I assumed/hoped it would be better for the people a little further back. Ironically, it was much louder for the first act, you couldn't speak to the guy next to ya and for Kings of Leon the screens were reverberating with bass, but during the Pixies you could hear every comment around you?...I did hear that there's a sound cap for later bands as it's a residential area???

We got there at 1 and got passes at the gate as we entered...strangely people coming in the other entrance at the same time didn't seem to get them.

T'was a good night overall, despite the sound, and the fact I came close to punching some middle-classhole for harassing my missus

Edited by - Foucaults Dog on 08/24/2005 09:12:01
Go to Top of Page

frank_black_
- FB Fan -

Ireland
105 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2005 :  09:26:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
like Carl said earlier, they played a version of In Heaven so you need to add that to the set list

Go to Top of Page

therewererumours
* Dog in the Sand *

Ireland
1240 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2005 :  09:46:40  Show Profile  Visit therewererumours's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bazza

what happened to you barra?!! you werent that tanked when we met you. must have been the buckfast you sneaked into the gig. Anyway - gig was great. sound was awful though. am disappointed i paid 60 euros NOT to hear the pixies.

Maybe, just once, someone will call me "sir" without adding, "you're making a scene."

Ha ha, I think it was a combination of being totally knackered from not getting any sleep the night before, getting up early and running around doing loads of odd jods before I came into town, walking half way across town to get to Landsdown Rd. and jumping up and down like crazy at the concert, all on an empty stomach. Sorry I didn't get to see you after the gig, hows you ear? Just had another three pints with Carl, his Bro and Oisin. Great night alround.

Myself and Oisin got in when the gates opened and thats when they were giving out the pit passes, the pitch wasn't that packed until half way through The Kings of Leon set, then the place became completely black, I didn't think I was going to make it up the front. I thought the sound was pretty good, but I was in the front pit about eight people back from the front though. The only thing about the sound was that I thought Kims vocals were abit low. I thought they put on a great show even with thier surprize drenching. I would have loved to have heard La La Love You and Winterlong (even though its a cover). I loved hearing Is She Weird and No.13 Baby. It was cool that that asshole got booed for throwing the bottle on to the stage. I'll try and put up some pics soon.

Join the Cult of
Go to Top of Page

chineselover
= Cult of Ray =

Ireland
348 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2005 :  09:49:55  Show Profile  Visit chineselover's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Pixies themsleves were fantastic... but....

Vocal mics could have been turned up alot more - Franks earsplitting screams weren't earsplitting... The sound was def alot better at phoneix park, even though venue, and the fact that they were support act was not the ideal..

Irish people at concerts always piss me off - no awareness that pushing, vommiting and general inconsideration could take away from anothers enjoyment..

But they are just a couple of personal points that i would mention... but overall i am completely positive about it, always something special to see your favourite band live and I enjoyed it throughly.

Oh and one last thing... stand out song for me was Planet of Sound, i thought they did stormin' perfomance for this song, excellent.

Edited by - chineselover on 08/24/2005 09:56:08
Go to Top of Page

therewererumours
* Dog in the Sand *

Ireland
1240 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2005 :  09:51:36  Show Profile  Visit therewererumours's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Cheers frank black, Oisin had that down, Iike I said, drunk, tired, not the best state to post.

Join the Cult of
Go to Top of Page

The Marsist
= Cult of Ray =

Ireland
730 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2005 :  10:18:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
no 13 baby was THE best song of the night.the sound was absolutly awful as was my view but thats was my own fault the crowd around me was shit aswell as none of them were singin or dancing and just standing completly still and the sound being so shite i was singing WAY to loud so every one could here me.despite all this the pixies played a blinder with an awesome set list.

and how dare that asshole hit frank with a bottle if i was beside him he would have got more than a bottle (the guy that is not frank)

Art is the child of Nature; yes, her darling child, in whom we trace the features of the mother's face, her aspect and her attitude.
-Beck

Go to Top of Page

holidaysong
- FB Fan -

Ireland
164 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2005 :  10:33:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Planet of Sound was the highlight for me, I wasn't expecting it at all.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Éireann go Brách
Go to Top of Page

frank_black_
- FB Fan -

Ireland
105 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2005 :  10:35:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry to hear that Marsist, the crowd we really good were I was and it seemed that everone knew every lyric which was great. Yeah, I couldn't beleive it when someone through the bottle at Frank and im glad the crowd booed at whoever it was. Two other great things was when the rain just came down in a gust of wind and soaked everyone forcing joey to try and move to the side of the stage and the ending "goodnight kim" thing was brilliant.

Edited by - frank_black_ on 08/24/2005 10:36:16
Go to Top of Page

Ziggy
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
2411 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2005 :  10:37:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was just happy to see that Sad Punk and Allison were in there. I like the running order of the show hehe. Hope it's like that in Ally Pally next week!
Go to Top of Page

frank_black_
- FB Fan -

Ireland
105 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2005 :  10:39:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the sad punk and planet of sound suprised me but both were excellent

Go to Top of Page

Foucaults Dog
- FB Fan -

Ireland
124 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2005 :  10:54:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by frank_black_

like Carl said earlier, they played a version of In Heaven so you need to add that to the set list

"In Heaven" as you call it IS "The Lady in the Radiator Song"
Go to Top of Page

frank_black_
- FB Fan -

Ireland
105 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2005 :  11:00:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Foucaults Dog

quote:

*slaps self*

Sorry, I just always refer to it as "In Heaven" so when I didn't see that I didn't really think

Go to Top of Page

frank_black_
- FB Fan -

Ireland
105 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2005 :  11:02:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
wait, I copied the setlist into word earlier and "lady in the raditor song" isn't there and I see therewererumeors has edited it so I presume he jsut added it in.

Go to Top of Page

Obvious song reference
- FB Fan -

Ireland
27 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2005 :  11:33:06  Show Profile  Click to see Obvious song reference's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I was in the front row of the pit, in front to the right of Kim a bit.

My friend got Frank's setlist from one of the bouncers cos he had hit him in the face during the Kings of Leon set.

For those of you who were in the pit and heard people shouting "teabag" and throwing teabags toward the stage during Humanzi and Teeneage Fanclub, that was me and my friends.

The show was Great! I didn't notice any problem with the sound, but after almost every song Kim was sinalling to someone backstage to turn her bass up, or just to turn everything up, which would've been a good idea.

Do you ever read signatures thinking they're part of an actual post?
I find it really annoying
Go to Top of Page

Foucaults Dog
- FB Fan -

Ireland
124 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2005 :  11:48:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Foucaults Dog

quote:

*slaps self*

Sorry, I just always refer to it as "In Heaven" so when I didn't see that I didn't really think

Don't mind me I'm just being pedantic...The only reason it came to mind was I happened to be talking to someone about Eraser Head just before the gig
Go to Top of Page

therewererumours
* Dog in the Sand *

Ireland
1240 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2005 :  14:43:01  Show Profile  Visit therewererumours's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Heres some of my terrible pictures from the concert. I was too busy enjoying the music to get any good ones .

The manta ray backdrop was really cool, have they used that at other venues?

Join the Cult of

Edited by - therewererumours on 08/24/2005 14:49:31
Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2005 :  15:10:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Those pictures are fine, Barry!

I was glad to hear No.13 Baby, it's possibly my favorite Pixies song. I'm not sure I recall the bottle incident, I did'nt see a bottle hit Frank, anyway. I forgot about the water incident-Kim Deal was wiping her bass down with a towel and laughing!! And it was really funny when Frank and Kim were pretending to argue with each other, it looked to me looked to me like she was acting shocked and Frank was trying to calm her down, heehee!! Overall, great night!
Go to Top of Page

therewererumours
* Dog in the Sand *

Ireland
1240 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2005 :  15:18:15  Show Profile  Visit therewererumours's Homepage  Reply with Quote
"Good night Kim" , "Good night Charles", "Good night Joey", "Good night Charles", "Say good night Dave", '"Good night Dave", or something like that, it was soo funny!

Join the Cult of
Go to Top of Page

James Phoenix
- FB Fan -

1 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2005 :  15:48:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Review found here:
http://www.seewhatyouhear.com/Live_Reviews/pixies.htm
Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2005 :  15:57:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Kim Deal (looking like someone's long-lost evil, billionaire aunt)"

:D
Go to Top of Page

chineselover
= Cult of Ray =

Ireland
348 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2005 :  16:04:47  Show Profile  Visit chineselover's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks James, better than the Irish Independent article - laden with inaccuracies by someone that was obviously no where near Lansdowne Rd..
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000