-= Frank Black Forum =-
-= Frank Black Forum =-
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Frank Black Chat
 General Frank Black Chat
 "Close and Not so Close Encounters with The Man"

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
OldManInaCoffeeCan Posted - 08/07/2005 : 11:36:19

fumanbru and myself decided a designated Thread would be a great place to share and read about all of our close and not so close encounters with The Man, and / or all those connected to The Man.

So, whether it's an one on one personal encounter, or an encounter with a friend of a friend of The Man's, share it here. Or maybe your encounter involves The Man's old band, The PIXIES, or the band he's taking a hiatus from, The Catholics, or the new 'Comb Cats, or anything else connected to "all things Frank", post it!

[No appologies are being offered if this is a duplicate thread, 'cause I really don't care if this thread already exists somewhere deep in the bowels of fb.net, cause it sure ain't out in the open, where something as significant as this belongs]

Post 'em here please, even if you've posted your encounter on another thread, we need it posted here as well for convenience and to preserve a more complete official record. Thanks.

OldManInaCoffeeCan Posted - 02/19/2006 : 16:51:09

Damn, boy, that was as smooth as silk.

Something like that would have led to a huge fight in My Castle...but,
you were able to "have your cake" (see the Pixies Reunion Show)
and "eat it too" (keep Mrs. fu happy)

I've got much to learn from you, Brother Fu.

"I'm more of a self-indulgent epic kind of guy." King Charles IV

OMIACC - PostMaster of fb.net's Zenith threads
fumanbru Posted - 02/19/2006 : 12:09:59
So here’s a pretty good pixies reunion story. The reunion tour rumours were going pretty good and then Frank released his cool little pixies message at fbnet.

“For years, when asked if and when the Pixies would get back together, my stock answer would be : "When pigs fly." Then this happened……..
http://www.frankblack.net/news/2004.asp

I wasn’t going to miss this for anything! I only started listening to the pixies in 1992 so I never had an opportunity to see them play live. So I’m thinking, OK so where can I convince the mrs to go on a little holiday and then just happen to see a pixies show! Boston, New York, L.A., Toronto, Montreal..

And then in February they announced a reunion tour and they were starting it off in little ol Winnipeg, Manitoba!! My hometown. Holy fu**ing sh*t!! Pigs do really fly. I was jumping off the wall! Complete utter insanity. So I run and crank Trompe le Monde to 11, then go tell Mrs. Fu. Mrs. fu is jumping up and down. She’s going, “This is amazing, Frank is coming to wpg with the Pixies! That is incredible! When’s the show?”

I responded, “April 14th.”

Mrs. Fu.. pause …“Oh, that’s unfortunate, cause that’s when we’re going on my work conference in Cancun, Mexico.”

“Are you serious. That is f**ckin unbelievable!!” Talk about going from the highest high to the lowest low in a few short moments. The pain!! The agony!!

So I was thinking to myself, just relax, don’t say anything stupid. The mrs. was giving me that look that there is no way in hell I was bailing out on our trip to Mexico to check out a “rock concert”.

So I went to my room and cried. And then I cried some more. Then I started throwing things around. After I while, I thought that I got to pull it together. I can figure something out. I’ve got to see the Pixies live. There’s only a handful of dates announced and if things don’t work out between Frank and Kim then I may have missed my opportunity forever. This would be no easy task cause I was already going to Whistler, BC for a buddy’s stag at the start of April, then mid April we’re off to Mexico for a week.

So I said to Mrs. Fu, “I love you! You’re the best. Thanks for being so supportive. Sometimes things just don’t work out as you plan. Talk about craziness. We’ll, we always have each other. Maybe it is some cosmic universal thing saying it’s just not meant to be to see the greatest band in history in our home town of Winnipeg… on the start of their reunion tour…one of the most influential bands in rock history… who have been split up for the last 10 years….and we’ve listened to each and every day since we started dating….”

Mrs.Fu, “You’re taking it really well. I’m so proud of you.”

Then I said, “So you know how Bryan and Danielle moved to Whistler last year. We should really go visit them. They’re really great friends. A little weekend trip, say Thursday to Monday.”

“That’s a great idea. When are you thinking? The fall?”

“No I was thinking, spring. Say April 21-25”

“But you’re already going to Whistler in April for Ty’s stag, then we’re off to Mexico. You realize you do have a job?”

So ya, it wasn’t easy! But I’m not a quitter! We booked our flights and had tickets to see the Pixies on Thursday, April 22nd and Friday, April 23rd at the Commodore in Vancouver! I think the month of April, 2004 has been the best month in my life! Seeing the Pixies in a small fantastic venue like to Commodore was absolutely amazing - the band sounded great, the energy was unbelievable and the room was filled with smiles- on stage and off, …absolutely amazing. Will never forget it. Then off to whistler to see our friends.

"I joined the Cult of Frank/ cause I'm a real go-getter!"
OldManInaCoffeeCan Posted - 02/18/2006 : 05:39:29
Yo, Matto, very cool encounter.

I'd say Frank was lucky that you didn't kick his ass for his rude behavior...he must've been having a bad day, probably still grieving the breakup of his old band, huh!

Hey, did you ask for his autograph when you were standing toe-to-toe with him at the urinals?

By the way, I hated my teenage years too. Too much damn Vitamin T (testosterone). I'm a little more laid-back now in the twilight of my years.

"I'm more of a self-indulgent epic kind of guy." King Charles IV

OMIACC - PostMaster of fb.net's Zenith threads
Carl Posted - 02/16/2006 : 12:04:22
Strange!

pas de dutchie!
matto Posted - 02/15/2006 : 18:34:50
To counter Dyperman's first encounter, here is my embarassing teenage story:

FB's 1st solo tour - 1993 right? - , saw him play at Pearl Street in Northampton, Mass. I had just turned 17 and was slightly more awkward than I am now. My 2 friends and I drove up from CT earlier in the day to hang out and be stupid, and we parked on Pearl Street, and as we walked by the club we noticed that the FB experience were rehearsing... so we pearched at the window and drooled and were mezmerized for an hour at this "free show". Then they broke and Joey came out, he was really nice, we bent his ear and got his J. Hancock... then Mr. Frank B. came out and saw me standing there like the awkward teen I was and he started waving his arms around and made a "ooohh waaa hahhhhah" sound.... as I didn't know what else to do, I flipped out and begged for an autograph, but, no dice... it was so embarassing... anyways, Mr. FB went to the tour bus and closed the door and I was standing there pretty bummed...

BUT! that night it was wild, an amazing show, we were all slamdancing and I had the pleasure of giving Mr. FB the bird many many many times to his face in retaliation that evening as I was in front of him (if you know Pearl Street, the band is practially with the audience) and had a blast. Strangely enough, since then, I've met FB at least 15 times since, mostly in L.A., and he's always been really really nice. Even I took a piss next to him at the Mint, which was weird, to say the least. So, although I never smoked up with him, I guess my claim to non-fame is that "Frank Black made fun of me".

God, I hated being a teenager.
Carl Posted - 08/28/2005 : 19:17:07
There's a interview with The Pixies during the Doolittle tour, where Black is smoking pot and says it helps pass the time on tour!
dyperman Posted - 08/28/2005 : 14:13:33
it was black brought back from canada..anyone who was in to the pixies early and went to shows and bought albums etc was part of history and didnt even know it

wish I could be as cool as Kim Deal
floop Posted - 08/28/2005 : 13:15:24
quote:
Originally posted by OldManInaCoffeeCan
Way back in the day, Black was best.

once you go black, you never go back
fbc Posted - 08/28/2005 : 13:05:36
Man in a Can, mighty fine question.

quote:
Then she held out her hand, opened it, and in it sat a guitar pic. She said "he wanted you to have this". I think I melted in my chair. I must have looked like a stupid kid. I think that says so much about Frank. Kind, mysterious, and just awesome :)

that must have been amazing. do you still have the pick? they're easy to lose

quote:
I knocked on the door....opened it and was immediatly stoned from the HUGE ploom of hash smoke that almost knocked me down. I went in and introduced myself. Charles was cordial (as always) and asked me if I wanted to bake. I said yes and proceeded to smoke some mighty good hash with the man. we chatted about things that people who dont really know each other talk about.

We only came to kick some ass /Rock the fuckin' house and kick some ass.
What we gonna do with all the cash? / Smoke hash, and then we thrash

now this has to be my fantasy frank black encounter, if ever i had one. do you remember how the show went? i guess he was used to playing when high back then. nice one frank!

Jose, which one's you?
OldManInaCoffeeCan Posted - 08/28/2005 : 12:52:34
Shit dyperman, that's a helluva encounter with The Man. "Do you want to Bake?" Now that's funny!

Was it Lebanese Blond or Turkish Black? Way back in the day, Black was best.

Carl Posted - 08/28/2005 : 11:41:13
Another cool story! And an early Pixies one, too! I am so envious!
dyperman Posted - 08/28/2005 : 06:43:46
Well I have numbers of cool hangin with Charles stories, but the best one is the first time I met him in I believe it was 1988 in Cleveland Ohio.My brother had been their soundman since very early on. I was hanging at the club with him in my brand new doolittle tour shirt except my bro had given it to me and it was the one from the European tour...not the US shirt. All of the sudden Kim comes up to me and asks me where in Europe I saw them..I told her that I had received it from my bro..she said Ohhh, and introduced herself. Now me being 23 yrs old I knew who the sexy Kim Deal was and tripped over myself introducing myself. She asked me if I would like to go and meet the rest of the band. I said sure and was led to the tour bus by kim fucking deal (sigh). I entered the bus and immediatly noticed the classical music blazing from the back room. The door was closed. I met Joey and Dave and I belive Kelly Deal was there too. Still could barely hear them from the classical music wailing. Anyway I drank a beer and was tld that Charles was in this room if I wanted to say hello. I knocked on the door....opened it and was immediatly stoned from the HUGE ploom of hash smoke that almost knocked me down. I went in and introduced myself. Charles was cordial (as always) and asked me if I wanted to bake. I said yes and proceeded to smoke some mighty good hash with the man. we chatted about things that people who dont really know each other talk about. I told him my girlfriend (now wife) was meeting me for the show and the only Pixies song she liked was HEY...Charles dedicated it to her during the show. WOW...what a first encounter. Since then I have seen countless shows and finally during Charles' acoustic tour he dedicated another song this time to me White noise maker. Doesnt smoke hash anymore but still just as cordial.
jose Posted - 08/26/2005 : 06:49:27
or like that

I said Pretty Please !
jose Posted - 08/26/2005 : 06:47:07
like this

I said Pretty Please !
jose Posted - 08/26/2005 : 06:46:02
It should be so cool if people post "their picture with the man"

I said Pretty Please !
cellar_door Posted - 08/25/2005 : 19:56:16
Thanks for the kind greating :)

Oh I wasn't expecting it at all (ie Franks gesture), and really didn't buy his drinks hoping for anything. I just thought "when am I ever going to get to buy Frank Black a drink ?".

We've had some good talks with Rich also, he saw some pictures we took and gave us his email to send them to him. Scott's also super nice, he was suprised someone recognized him in the street. I think most of them aren't used to being spotted like that.
Daisy Girl Posted - 08/25/2005 : 19:45:14
cool story Cellar Door!!! Wow... that's very smooth of Frank... I bet that came from nowhere

Welcome to the forum!!!

"I ain't goin to be what I ain't"
cellar_door Posted - 08/25/2005 : 18:53:53
Sorry I made another forum about this, my story:

Every time Frank comes to town (here in Ottawa) he ends up hanging out in some very public place, and I've had the good fortune of running into him a few times (something you just can't do with other famouns people). The first and coolest time was just across from the venue he was going to play at with the Catholics (for their first album). The venue was Barrymore's, and I was having a beer at the Royal Oak across the street. This place is your average pub (beer and wings), and in he walks with the opening act (whose name I totally forget now). He sits down for a beer, and while he's waiting for it I just go say hi and ask him to sign a cd (I was damn nervous). I've always known him to be a pretty private person, so I made it all of 45 seconds, and went and sat back at my table. He was very friendly and said he looked forward to the show. Back at my table I came up with the idea of buying his drinks. I called the waitress and asked if she could put "that gentlemen's drink on my tab". About 20 minutes later she came over and said she had done as I said. Then she held out her hand, opened it, and in it sat a guitar pic. She said "he wanted you to have this". I think I melted in my chair. I must have looked like a stupid kid. I think that says so much about Frank. Kind, mysterious, and just awesome :)
Arca_Yaj Posted - 08/25/2005 : 07:40:12
I have a "close" encounter story.....

Once upon a time (Somewhere in Augest last year) before the Pixies gig with Red Hot Chili Peppers in Dublin (Ireland). Me and my ex-friend (now dope-fiend) Ali were sitting in the park (Eyre Square which is now a building site). We were rallying eachother up for the Pixies visit, when threw the corner of my eye I saw a big bald guy!
In a flash I pointed over to the guy leaning on a bin outside an Abracababra outlet and said "Ali, it's Frank!".
As stupid little teenagers do, we had and arguement over who's going over to him. So, we decided to shout at him (like responsible people). I shouted "FRANK!!!". No response....
I quickly asked Ali what his full name is. After two minutes and only learning his first name I went for it. "CHARLES!!!". I looked away. Ali said "Did you see! He looked right over!". We done this for about 5 minutes untill he walked away. It was only the day after I was beating myself up over it.

"I can hear the buzz of modulations of the universe
But you're the first to make me feel it"
Daisy Girl Posted - 08/23/2005 : 19:12:32
yeah minny is a very cool place to see shows.. and that electric fetus is where it's at too! ya think frank might come here again, solo?

Z_Zoquis Posted - 08/23/2005 : 16:28:35
Oh yeah. Roadtrips to mini were huge! I saw REM on the Green tour (the Db's opened for them), Dylan/Tom Petty, U2 when they were still cool (the Bodeans opened for them iirc), and always came back with an arm-load of vinyl from Oar-Folk and the Electric Fetus. Man, those were some good times.
fumanbru Posted - 08/23/2005 : 15:20:13
ya juice monkey- beefed up meathead through the injection of steroids who will often break out into fits of rage (hope I didn’t offend any bouncers out there at frankblack.net!) most bouncers are great but you know, like any profession, you get a few bad apples.

back in the days at the university of manitoba a lot of us would make road trips down to minni to check out bands and party. good times.

OldManInaCoffeeCan Posted - 08/23/2005 : 06:57:39
CLOSE ENCOUNTERS WITH A JUICE MONKEY’S FIST!! Hey fu, great title for this encounter. I've never heard the term juice monkey.

You 'peggers Rock! 8 friends driving 7 hours to see The Man. That's awesome. I MAY have 8 friends, but I can only think of 3 people (me, my brother, and my son) that would drive across town to see Frank and/or the Pixies. I guess I need some new friends, huh!

And "the show", fuckin aye, I like that motherfucker's attitude and style. “the show” is like “ya whatever buddy. This is the MAN I’m listening to.” So a minute later the bouncer walks back and tells "the show” once again to stop jumping up and down. “the show” turns around and issues the classic “F*CK YOU!!”...the cops take off the handcuffs and ask “the show” if he wants to come down to the station and lay charges. “the show’s” like “f*ck that! We’re in minni. Clean me up and let’s rock!”

Carl Posted - 08/22/2005 : 17:09:04
Those Canadian ice hockey guys are tough! :D
fumanbru Posted - 08/22/2005 : 15:28:41
signed copy of doolittle a la vinyl! nice! to floop or tony?

I’ve got another cool frank black concert story to share. Didn’t get to chat with the man but it’s pretty good nonetheless.

We’ll call it:

CLOSE ENCOUNTERS WITH A JUICE MONKEY’S FIST!!

This goes back to 1996- the cult of ray tour. It’s been 4 great years since I started listening to the man’s music. At the time completely mesmerized with teenager of the year. Found out that frank and the boys were going to hit first avenue in Minneapolis! How she going. We rounded up 8 friends, all pixies/fb fans for the 7 hour road trip to minni. Ya, we were excited. TOTY, cult of ray, the orange/yellow album!

So we drove down blasting the tunes and bopping our heads in the car- mainly fb, pixies- but I do remember the odd rage against the machine track to get us psyched up (like we needed it!) We had some pops at the hotel and then proceeded to first avenue. Fantastic venue for hosting frank and the band! Hung out before the show and had some more bevies. Also bought the classic cult of ray t. in hindsight I should of bought 5 more as my current one is wearing thin! Some of the other guys got some cool fb cult of ray hats.

Here’s a sample of some of the pre gig chatter:

Bro: “So if we see frank head over to the bar for a bevy what should we get him? I’m thinking he drink’s tequila or jack.”
“the show”: “fu*k!! he’ll drink anything!! He’s the man!! We’ll order everything and let him choose.”
Fu: “I’ll get him whatever he wants! I’ll even lay down the plastic and get him a bottle of chateauneuf-du-pape!” (something like that- it was 10 years ago!)

The opening act was Johnny Polanski. Nice appetizer before the main course!

Then frank and the boys hit the stage- all dressed in black suits! Men in black! No shit. Very classy! Lyle, Scott, Dave, and Frank- I couldn’t believe myself. Very surreal. We were in the 3rd row or so and the fans around were great. Huge grins all around and people were mouthing the words to calistan, pong, two spaces...it wasn’t overly crowded up front which was nice. Room to jump around. So my buddy “the show” (see earlier pics in previous post in same thread of “the show”) is having quite the time. He’s jumping up and down and working up a good sweat. It’s been about 90 minutes into the set and thalossocracy comes on! …wait/it isn’t so great since you learned karate chop/you’re walking machs/and I’m just swimming in the slop/you wave your wand at me and make me dance flip-flop/I want to sing for you/and make your head go pop...holy sh*t! “the show” is doing some serious flopping around, but like the polite Canadian boy he is, he manages to fully respect the nice people around him. So some beefed up bouncer/meathead taps “the show” on the shoulder and tells him to relax. “the show” is like “ya whatever buddy. This is the MAN I’m listening to.” So a minute later the bouncer walks back and tells "the show” once again to stop jumping up and down. “the show” turns around and issues the classic “F*CK YOU!!”

“the show” then proceeds to have a close encounter with this juice monkey’s fist!! If that wasn’t bad enough this buffoon was wearing several rings on his hand. So “the show” gets a few good whacks in- being a solid hockey d man who’s laid serious poundings to unfortunate opponents over the years. However, as you can imagine, several more bouncers jump in to break it up (and get in some cheap shots) and quickly escort “the show” out of the venue as blood flows down his face. Meanwhile the show (not “the show”) is in high gear and ready for an encore! You can see the dilemma I was in. Frank’s rockin out and my buddy has blood on his face and is out the door. So I make a split decision and compromise- I listen to one more tune then head out the door! There is a patrol car parked outside with the lights flashing and “the show” is in cuffs! No sh*t! People start to gather outside and once we explain to the fine police officers of minni what really happened they start questioniong the bouncers. So anyways, the cops take off the handcuffs and ask “the show” if he wants to come down to the station and lay charges. “the show’s” like “f*ck that! We’re in minni. Clean me up and let’s rock!”

floop Posted - 08/22/2005 : 13:18:08
i "met" the man a few times before and after shows, here and there. got me an autograph (twice) and a picture with him once. and got him to sign my vinyl copy of Doolittle which now sits in a frame on my wall
therewererumours Posted - 08/22/2005 : 12:42:18
I can't remember if I posted this before, I think I typed it all out but I got disconnected and lost the post. Anyway my encounter with The Man was very brief, but enough to say I'd "met" him, hee hee. Before his Vicar St. gig here about 2 years ago he played a solo acoustic set in Tower Records. I didn't get in and was pretty pissed off. Straight after it was finished I just started heading up to Vicar St. which isn't that far away. I was waiting outside the venue with my friend and we were the only people outside. As we waited a taxi pulled up and out stepped Frank. I stood there paralyzed with shock and as he walked towards me I managed to get out a "Hi Frank, I'm really looking forward to the gig", to which he gave me a surly nod. Bazza, the old dog, was much braver then me and got Frank and all the rest of the Catholics to sign his stuff backstage.

Join the Cult of
Carl Posted - 08/22/2005 : 09:29:54
That's really sweet of Frank! They could make a movie out of that!

"Oh captain, my captain!"
Skatealex1 Posted - 08/21/2005 : 20:24:48
Cool!

The Truth Is Out There
fumanbru Posted - 08/21/2005 : 19:53:52
holy fbc! you are amazing!! thanks. that's one solid story.

fbc Posted - 08/21/2005 : 18:49:52
Interview with Rich Gilbert

Let's hear your best story about life on the road with FB&TC

We were playing a small town in Oregon, a late afternoon show at a small art performance gallery-type space that probably only held about 150 people, if that, maybe only 100. There was no stage, and we just set up on the floor. and everyone in the audience was 18 and under with the general age being 15 and 17. And you know, kids at that age are pretty awkward and shy when they're not solely amongst their peers, especially when they're pretty excited inside. They were all quietly thrilled to be there to see Frank Black, but kind of nervous and shy about it.
In the middle of the set Charles stopped to introduce the band. When he got through introducing us, he said to the kid standing right in front of him, "And your name is...?" almost like a friendly, cool substitute teacher. The kid got all flustered, but also was blown away by the fact that he was being directly addressed by Charles - kids at that age worship artists that communicate something to them, but they never get to actually interact or speak with most of these artists. He finally came out with a shy "Bill". charles then pointed to the girl next to Bill and said, "And you're...?". After the girl said Mary, he just had every kid there introduce themselves. And you could see these kids getting nervous but thrilled as the sequence was coming to them. You could see they were so psyched that they were going to get to reply. These kids were just beaming about this.
The rest of the show was just charged with a great communal feeling. Those kids couldn't have been more thrilled. it was a really beautiful atmosphere.
fumanbru Posted - 08/21/2005 : 18:22:24
thanks z! great to have a neighbor on board!

and nice job frog! very classy.

hey, does anyone have a link to the following encounter below. it would be great on this thread. i can't remember who posted it. i think i read it in the last year. i thought it was rich gilbert but did a search under his name and couldn't find it. the story goes something like this...

...frank was playing to a crowd of mainly junior high kids i believe in the u.s. then i think in the middle of the set he asked one of the kids what his name was. the kid was petrofied- said "joe fan" and then frank said something like great to meet you. then he went around the room and asked each kid to introduce themselves and had a small chat with them. it was a very touching story and i'm definately not doing it justice but i would love to read it again if anyone can find it on the forum.

Daisy Girl Posted - 08/20/2005 : 12:03:59
Z. well ... don't give up hope.

I NEVER thought I'd meet him. I guess my best advise is when you do meet him just forget that it's FB and it's some guy... cuz i was rather nervous and then you are like in your head and not in the moment if that makes sense.

thanks ccuadros for the links and Old Man In a Coffee Can I have told you off line that those pics rock! ;)

Z_Zoquis Posted - 08/20/2005 : 11:42:32
I envy you guys. FB is one of the few artists I'd really like to sit down and have a coffee/beer with. He just seems like he'd be a really interesting guy to chat with.

Fumanbru - great story. I'm a pegger myself. Sadly, I managed to miss seeing both the Catholics and recent Pixies show. If the man should ever return I solemnly pledge I will be there come hell or high water.
OldManInaCoffeeCan Posted - 08/20/2005 : 07:32:41
So, FITS, what, do you carry bottles of wine with you always, or only when you're going out for the night?

When I was younger I would always bring a pint of "Southern Comfort" or "Jack Daniels" when I attended rock n roll concerts.

[post the link to your thread "THE FROG MEETS THE MAN" here, if you don't mind, [edit:or better yet, copy and paste the full story here]]

-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000