New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Daisy Girl
~ Abstract Brain ~

Belize
5305 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2005 :  16:29:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This was a fab review.... from a new national mag. So cool! We heart Honeycomb!!!

http://www.theweekmagazine.com/review.asp?id=249

Honeycomb
by Frank Black

(Back Porch)
3 Stars
Release Date: 7/19/2005

As frontman for pogo-ing post-punk band the Pixies, Frank Black “arguably did more to inspire a generation of alt-rock musicians—and fans—than any other musician,” said Gemma Tarlach in the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. But this solo album is a completely “unexpected” foray into country soul. Recorded in four days in Nashville, the album relies on veteran session musicians for Elvis Presley and Bob Dylan. Dylan’s Blonde on Blonde, in fact, is a huge inspiration for this album, said Joan Anderman in The Boston Globe. But Black, “known for his mammoth howl,” puts his own spin on “supremely focused Southern soul.” He makes a tender opus out of strange lyrics and odd song structures. It’s the perfect “mellow mash of dulcet country sounds and sinister sensibilities.” Black made the album as he was splitting from his wife and just before the Pixies reunited for a yearlong tour. This rocky time yielded “gorgeous, subdued tunes,” said Scott McLennan in the Worcester, Mass., Telegram. Black channels his darker tendencies into spiky humor and odd allegories. He strikes a careful balance between songs like the haunted “Another Velvet Nightmare” and a cover of “Dark End of the Street,” which is simply “angelic.”

Related Link:
Official Site

Purchase:
Buy It

Back Recent Music Reviews Archive

Daisy Girl
~ Abstract Brain ~

Belize
5305 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2005 :  16:30:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Too bad the link to buy it is broken!

but i gots my copies already!!! so i'm good