New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Peter Walker
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
189 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2005 :  10:41:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A feature where celebrities detail their day in terms of popular culture consumption. Apols if alreaady posted, etc....

Frank Black: The Pixies' Mr Big

Morning: It's my job to drive the kids to school, so we listen to CDs I've burned for them on the way. I'm educating them into my kind of music - Leadbelly, Townes van Zandt, Neil Young. They always groan and go "Oh Charles (his real name), do we have to listen to this one again?" They want to listen to Weird Al Yankovic.

Noon: Mostly I read non-fiction. I just read "Cod" by Mark Kurlansky. It's all about the cod industry, how the Basques controlled all the cod about 800 years ago, and how it all went wrong during the 70s with the Cod War. I like to read musical biographies too. I'm halfway through "Can You Feel The Slience?", an enormously thick Van Morrison biography by Clinton Heylin. It's heavy on trivia - who he was working with, recording dates and so on. That's the stuff I like. I'm not so curious about an author's questionable take on the personal aspects of a musician's life.

Night: I rent out arthouse films. I just read this book about (troubled German director) Rainer Werner Fassbinder, so I hired out Fassbinder's "Love Is Colder Than Death". It's kind of a gangster film, but it's not really plot driven - just two characters and a white wall. My girlfriend groaned all the way through. Not the kind of thing she wanted to watch at 10 at night.

Edited by - Peter Walker on 07/31/2005 10:46:49

Joey Joe Jo Jr. Chabadoo
* Dog in the Sand *

1056 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2005 :  05:40:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh Charles! Look for "Querelle" by Fassbinder from a novel by Jean Genet, but close your eyes and listen to the soundtrack by Peer Raben & David Ambach only which is a pure Jewel...

Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2005 :  12:07:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Interesting!
Go to Top of Page

frank_black_francis
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
895 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2005 :  14:54:28  Show Profile  Visit frank_black_francis's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I read that Cod book a few years ago....its amazing how much world history is tied to a fish. Kurlansky also wrote the History of Salt....which is apparently good, but I cant find it.
Go to Top of Page

Daisy Girl
~ Abstract Brain ~

Belize
5305 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2005 :  19:43:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a thing for salt and have been intrigued to read the history of salt. hopefully one day i will curl up in a bookstore and check it out.

wow... frank is cool onstage and off! (... ok we knew this already.)
Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2005 :  19:54:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LOVE IS COLDER THAN DEATH is awesome. got to see that at the Pacific Film Archive in Berkeley.. that's probably one of craziest endings to a film i've ever seen. and one of the funniest
Go to Top of Page

Daisy Girl
~ Abstract Brain ~

Belize
5305 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2005 :  19:55:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
is it really scary?? it sounds that way?? i don't like scary
Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2005 :  19:58:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
it's not scary. it's just absurd, the way it plays out (on film). i'm not going to give it away obvioulsy..

ps. Frank, if you're reading this, have you seen LE SAMOURI?
Go to Top of Page

Daisy Girl
~ Abstract Brain ~

Belize
5305 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2005 :  20:07:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
cool, thanks floop! :) will have to check it out.
Go to Top of Page

VoVat
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

USA
9168 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2005 :  16:36:39  Show Profile  Visit VoVat's Homepage  Click to see VoVat's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Actually, I agree with the kids. Weird Al is cool.

I was all out of luck, like a duck that died. I was all out of juice, like a moose denied.
Go to Top of Page

darwin
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

USA
5448 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2005 :  17:18:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by frank_black_francis

I read that Cod book a few years ago....its amazing how much world history is tied to a fish. Kurlansky also wrote the History of Salt....which is apparently good, but I cant find it.

Cod is a good book, but a whole book industry of how the world has been changed by X (not the band) has popped up.

I've heard Salt goes a bit off the deep end as far as claiming everything is shaped by salt.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000