Rock star killed in stage diving gone wrong
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

vilainde
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2005 :  02:13:57  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This guy definitely deserves a mention in this year's Darwin Awards. I know it's sad but I can't stop laughing.

http://www.thisisleeds.co.uk/ViewArticle2.aspx?SectionID=39&ArticleID=1094493

<<Rock band singer killed in plunge from stage
EXCLUSIVE
BY CHRIS MURPHY

THE lead singer of an up-and-coming West Yorkshire rock band died after a stage dive went tragically wrong at a gig in Leeds.
Revellers at the city centre's famous Warehouse club, on Somers Street, looked on in horror as Bad Beat Revue frontman, 25-year-old Patrick Sherry, flung himself offstage at end of their set on Wednesday night, as part of the Club NME tour.
Onlookers said the singer, from Bradford, tried to grab the lighting rig hanging from one of the venues wooden beams before losing his grip and plunging to the solid wooden floor head first.
After his fall paramedics were called and the club was emptied. He died at Leeds General Infirmary on Thursday morning.
One eyewitness, who did not want to be named, said: "The band were on at just after 11pm and the lead singer was very energetic, running around on the stage and had already been into the crowd during the set.
"Just before it happened he was looking in the air towards the roof. He put the microphone down and crouched down before leaping off the stage, which was about a metre high, and trying to grab the lighting rig.
"I don't know whether he caught it or not but his momentum carried him forward.
"Basically he went upside down and hit the floor head first. The whole thing lasted about five seconds. It was horrendous."
Bad Beat Revue have been together since 2002 and have played a host of gigs at venues in Leeds including Oporto, Josephs Well and The Faversham.
They only stepped into Wednesday's opening slot a few hours before the gig after another band pulled out.
Graham Hartley, manager at The Warehouse, told the YEP: "It was just a tragic accident and our thoughts are with his friends and family, as well as the rest of the band and their manager."
An inquest is due to open in Leeds next week, and Police have been to The Warehouse to take photos and review CCTV footage.
Horrendous
A spokesman from West Yorkshire Metropolitan Ambulance Service said: "We got called to The Warehouse in Leeds at 23.37pm on Wednesday.
"We attended to a 25-year-old male who had come off the stage and sustained head and back injuries. He was taken to the LGI."
chris.murphy@ypn.co.uk
23 July 2005>>

Denis

I know the god of rock n roll / Yeah I sold him my soul!

Joey Joe Jo Jr. Chabadoo
* Dog in the Sand *

1056 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2005 :  02:40:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tragic... But maybe not the worst way to die...

Go to Top of Page

starmekitten
-= Forum Pistolera =-

United Kingdom
6370 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2005 :  02:40:45  Show Profile  Visit starmekitten's Homepage  Reply with Quote
ouch

on his head!

If you invite people who all have the same blood type to a party, but you don't tell them, they'll talk about something else
Go to Top of Page

Surfer Rosa
> Teenager of the Year <

4209 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2005 :  03:02:14  Show Profile  Visit Surfer Rosa's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Many nights spent at the Warehouse - really glad I wasn't there for that. Tragic, but it's a pretty rock n roll way to go.

The only way to get rid of temptation is to yield to it.
Go to Top of Page

kathryn
~ Selkie Bride ~

Belgium
15320 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2005 :  03:12:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A bit of a tangent.

After Patti Smith fell off the stage at a show, Jim Carroll wrote for her the song "Crow,"

"It must be strange to just fall from the stage
and snap a bone that is so close to the brain
And be attended to by so many down below
I saw a doctor tie you up from so far above,"

It ended up on his amazing album Catholic Boy.

Sometimes, no matter how shitty things get, you have to just do a little dance. - Frank
Go to Top of Page

jediroller
* Dog in the Sand *

France
1718 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2005 :  04:15:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your subject line is misleading. He will never be a rock star.

In an almost totally unrelated way, anyone ever seen this video where Cobain goes for a bit of crowd-surfing, and a bouncer tries to get him back on stage? Cobain doesn't want to, and tries to punch the bouncer, who in return pops him a really nasty one in the face. I've seen it only once, and never seemed to be able to trace it again since then.

I jumped on the Frank Black Bandwagon/'Cause Pixies are so 2004
Go to Top of Page

cassandra is
> Teenager of the Year <

France
4233 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2005 :  04:51:03  Show Profile  Visit cassandra is's Homepage  Reply with Quote
it's on the Live tonight sold out video

pas de bras pas de chocolat
Go to Top of Page

Homers_pet_monkey
= Official forum monkey =

United Kingdom
17125 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2005 :  06:41:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is indeed. I love that video. They had to come back later to ge their stuff, so they crawled past and sent Dave in I think. Something like that.

I am surprised the story above is not on NME.com yet. Considering it's their tour. Alex Kaprianos must have a new haircut.

Don't believe the type!
Go to Top of Page

kathryn
~ Selkie Bride ~

Belgium
15320 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2005 :  06:46:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Homers_pet_monkey

I
I am surprised the story above is not on NME.com yet. Considering it's their tour. Alex Kaprianos must have a new haircut.

Homers, this could be your funniest post ever. Thanks for the laugh.

Sometimes, no matter how shitty things get, you have to just do a little dance. - Frank
Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2005 :  19:23:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tragic. I suppose when your in a rock band, you feel compelled to jump around and act like a big child (The crowd do it, too!), but something like that is always a possibility. We've all been at gigs were the crowd move aside and the guy stagediving gets a nasty lump on the head.
Go to Top of Page

Homers_pet_monkey
= Official forum monkey =

United Kingdom
17125 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2005 :  07:07:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kathryn

quote:
Originally posted by Homers_pet_monkey

I

Homers, this could be your funniest post ever. Thanks for the laugh.

I'd like to thank......

You know the script.

Don't believe the type!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000