Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

matto
= Cult of Ray =

USA
944 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2005 :  08:18:30  Show Profile  Visit matto's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This site has a stream of some songs:

http://www.myspace.com/helloradiothesongsoftheymightbegiants

I couldn't discern if the FB tune is there.... I am dumb.

skinny puppy has a song called "cult" - does that count?

Edited by - matto on 06/13/2005 09:16:38

matto
= Cult of Ray =

USA
944 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2005 :  08:22:18  Show Profile  Visit matto's Homepage  Reply with Quote
An additional page with mp3s, yeah with no FB:

http://www.deadparrots.net/archives/music/0505tmbg_tribute_album_info_and_a_sampler_mp3.html

Go to Top of Page

prozacrat
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1186 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2005 :  12:43:01  Show Profile  Visit prozacrat's Homepage  Click to see prozacrat's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Thanks much. I can't wait to hear the whole thing.
Go to Top of Page

Apesy
= Cult of Ray =

USA
411 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2005 :  08:28:47  Show Profile  Visit Apesy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
...where'd the MySpace page go? Please don't tell me this project is on the rocks or something.

-=Apesy
Go to Top of Page

gary13th
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
632 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2005 :  15:25:12  Show Profile  Visit gary13th's Homepage  Click to see gary13th's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
from what i hear, Frank has recorded "road movie to berlin", apparently

----------
I joined the Cult of the Catholics, Oh when will they return ?
Go to Top of Page

HeywoodJablome
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1484 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2005 :  08:03:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The only time I ever heard TMBG was when they played on Conan and it was fucking hilarious. It was just a keyboardist and a vocalist and the singer had some kind of robot effect on his voice and he was talking smack on the crowd. Where's a good record to start with these guys?
Go to Top of Page

VoVat
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

USA
9168 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2005 :  08:25:18  Show Profile  Visit VoVat's Homepage  Click to see VoVat's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I wonder if Frank will include the verse from "Road Movie" that was cut out of the Flood version. TMBG usually plays it when they do the song live.

Heywood (if that IS your real name), the performance you saw was probably when they did a medley of "Robot Parade" and "Shoehorn With Teeth." The keyboardist was John Linnell. John Flansburgh usually plays guitar, but there's no guitar part on those songs, so he was just singing.

As for where to start, shouldn't you be asking that on the General Chat thread devoted to that subject? :P Seriously, though, everyone seems to enjoy Flood, so that wouldn't be a bad place to start. If you're of the slightly nerdier sort, you might want to try Apollo 18.

I was all out of luck, like a duck that died. I was all out of juice, like a moose denied.
Go to Top of Page

HeywoodJablome
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1484 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2005 :  10:53:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, I can nerd up with the best of'em.
Go to Top of Page

silvereel
- FB Fan -

USA
112 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2005 :  11:43:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I see you through my spyglass baby
Go to Top of Page

Apesy
= Cult of Ray =

USA
411 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2005 :  15:15:26  Show Profile  Visit Apesy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm going mad wondering what the status of this project is now.

-=Apesy
Go to Top of Page

bobo plenty
- FB Fan -

USA
122 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2005 :  20:40:20  Show Profile  Visit bobo plenty's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Start with Lincoln, undoubtedly the best TMBG albulm of all time.
Go to Top of Page

Crispy Water
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
819 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2005 :  12:24:41  Show Profile  Visit Crispy Water's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Taken from a posting on that myspace blog devoted to this album:

---Oh, and Frank Black has recorded "Road Movie To berlin" for us... with an interesting surprise for everybody. But, I'M certainly not going to spoil it for everybody.---

So, perhaps he did include the extra verse? I'm not sure what other interesting surprises there could be...maybe it's something about who he played it with?

C'mon, someone speculate!

Nothing is ever something.
Go to Top of Page

VoVat

USA
9168 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2005 :  18:43:11  Show Profile  Visit VoVat's Homepage  Click to see VoVat's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
It was a duet with Courtney Love. :P

I was all out of luck, like a duck that died. I was all out of juice, like a moose denied.
Go to Top of Page

telescopicboy
- FB Fan -

6 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2005 :  11:25:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, it might not be Courtney Love, but (according to the myspace page) it is someone named Molly McGuire. But the label's distribution stilled isn't firmed up just yet, so there's no official erlease date- THIS IS KILLING ME.
Go to Top of Page

matto
= Cult of Ray =

USA
944 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2005 :  13:55:58  Show Profile  Visit matto's Homepage  Reply with Quote
[url=http://img31.imageshack.us/my.php?image=newstheymightbegiantshelloradi.jpg][/url]

http://www.tmbw.net/wiki/index.php/Hello_Radio:_The_Songs_Of_They_Might_Be_Giants
Artist: Various Artists
Released: 2005
Tracks: Unknown
Label: MultiMedia Three (http://multimediathree.com/)
[edit]
Track Listing

* The Wrens - "They'll Need a Crane"
* Charles Douglas - "She's An Angel"
* Self - "Ana Ng"
* The Hotel Lights (Darren Jessee of BF5) - "The End Of The Tour"
* Steve Burns - "Dead"
* This Radiant Boy - "Don't Let's Start"
* Recepter - "Boat Of Car"
* Jason Trachtenburg (Of The Trachtenburg Family Slideshow Players) - "Dr. Worm"
* Brett Kull (of Echolyn) - "Another Fist Kiss"
* David Miller - "Narrow Your Eyes"
* Frank Black - "Road Movie to Berlin"
* Fluid Ounces - "It's Not My Birthday"
* The Long Winters - "Pet Name"

http://www.myspace.com/davidmiller
"****Update 9/26**** "Hello Radio: the songs of They Might Be Giants" is complete. Brett Kull and I had the pleasure of spending Friday in Cambridge, MA, for the mastering of the album, with Mr. jonathan Wyner (Nirvana's "Bleach, Apples In Stereo, Aimmee Mann, etc.). You can visit the Hello Radio page that MM3 records has set up to here a sample of the entire album."

(but I can't seem to find it....!)

Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2005 :  16:34:52  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
http://www.thespores.com/news.shtml

Molly has recently collaborated on recordings with Frank Black....

The Frank Black session was with friend Bryan Brown on drums and was a cover song for a "They Might Be Giants" tribute record. The track is called "Road Movie to Berlin" and will be released sometime in 2006. Molly was called in to play bass on the song, but ended up singing the entire song with Frank as a duet. More info on that release coming soon.

And for those who want to see her,
i know i sure do:

Go to Top of Page

OldManInaCoffeeCan
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1467 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2005 :  18:40:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another "Heard/Saw it here First" for me, anyway

Thanks for the info matto

And Guitar Man, pictures are always a welcome sight

by the way, love those pants, they look like those Chinese Finger traps, you know those things that you put your opposing forefingers into each end and then you can't pull them out.

"I'm more of a self-indulgent epic kind of guy." King Charles IV

"two separate albums released on the same day, thank you"
Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2005 :  10:59:40  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
man, would you wanna pull them out?

thought not.

Go to Top of Page

OldManInaCoffeeCan
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1467 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2005 :  17:35:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

"I'm more of a self-indulgent epic kind of guy." King Charles IV

"two separate albums released on the same day, thank you"
Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2005 :  23:43:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
*wolf-whistle*, wow, she's a cutie! The Dubliners do a song called The Molly McGuires!

"I seem to have rejoined the cult of FB.Net!"
Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2005 :  05:07:14  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I don't blame them.
I'd dedicate a whole album to this beauty.

Speedy Molly / Ahead of the now / She's better built that's how
Go to Top of Page

DrWorm
- FB Fan -

81 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2005 :  09:46:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Awesome, can't wait to get a chance to check out some of thongs songs. I'm a huuuge fan.

"Mister, would you please help my pony? / I think it's his lung"
Go to Top of Page

DrWorm
- FB Fan -

81 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2005 :  10:09:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DrWorm

Awesome, can't wait to get a chance to check out some of thongs songs. I'm a huuuge fan.

Edit: Those songs ^.^

Go to Top of Page

vilainde

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2005 :  10:57:01  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm lost. When is this supposed to be released?

Denis

"You know what? You know what? You know what? Shut the fuck up!"
Go to Top of Page

VoVat

USA
9168 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2005 :  11:51:48  Show Profile  Visit VoVat's Homepage  Click to see VoVat's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by DrWorm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edit: Those songs ^.^

I didn't THINK "The Thong Song" was by TMBG. :P

"If you doze much longer, then life turns to dreaming. If you doze much longer, then dreams turn to nightmares."
Go to Top of Page

Apesy
= Cult of Ray =

USA
411 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2005 :  17:45:13  Show Profile  Visit Apesy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
So, has anyone found this new page containing samples of the whole album?

-=Apesy

Edited by - Apesy on 11/14/2005 12:41:10
Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2005 :  02:36:35  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I can't find the MM3 page that was supposedly set up.

Vilainde, the only release date I know of is sometime in 2006.
Go to Top of Page

telescopicboy
- FB Fan -

6 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2005 :  11:54:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's a URL for MM3's myspace page...

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=15656884&Mytoken=F602C98A-1554-149D-1A19653B0BD0676347131993
Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2005 :  06:27:06  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
nice one, tele-boy. No new news yet.

The latest update i've found is this:

"Two finished CDs were sent to the Johns for review around 12:40pm CST [14 Nov 2005]
Go to Top of Page

Grotesque
= Cult of Ray =

France
777 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2005 :  10:04:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Abour TMBG, is The Spine good?
Listening to Mink Car has been such a traumatic experience.
Even worse than Ween's White Pepper.
Go to Top of Page

Apesy
= Cult of Ray =

USA
411 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2005 :  10:37:23  Show Profile  Visit Apesy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I love The Spine.

But I love Mink Car, too...don't understand all the hate it receives.

-=Apesy
Go to Top of Page

prozacrat
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1186 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2005 :  00:35:24  Show Profile  Visit prozacrat's Homepage  Click to see prozacrat's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
They're very polished albums. I think that's shocking to most TMBG fans. TMBG has always been very thorough in their song writing/recording, but their last two albums have just been very glossy. I'm still adjusting, but I love the albums just the same. And how could you not like White Pepper, Grotesque? I listened to it again this morning (I saw Ween last night for the first time and it blew my mind) and W.P. is a very solid album. As a musician, I can really appreciate where they pushed their sound to on WP, and then to Quebec. They also played a couple new songs last night, so I think the folks will be pleased with their new album when it comes out. This is a bit of a digression. Sorry.

http://www.prozacrat.com
Go to Top of Page

Grotesque
= Cult of Ray =

France
777 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2005 :  12:09:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok, I admit I must have listened to white pepper a hundred time just to verify if it's so bad or not, so I must like it after all.
But it's not so lofi or weird anymore, it could be on a list along with Captain Beefheart's Bluejeans and Moonbeans or The Butthole Surfers Independant Worm Salloon. I just think weird music is not just an adolescent crisis consequence but a style in itself, that helps cut all the crappy big sound. Even the beatles where lofi: they did it all with at most a four track!
Well, it's far from Frank Black, sorry for mixing the subjects.
Frank Black, by the way, never made me that impression, and I don't understand people who found honeycomb sounding like anybody. I recognize hime in every second, wich is not the case with TMBG's Mink Car. The melodies are slower and weeker, no? Where is the adrenalin?
Just count the notes and you'll see (ho ho ho).
Go to Top of Page

Grotesque
= Cult of Ray =

France
777 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2005 :  12:18:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oops, not talking about honeycomb there of course.
Go to Top of Page

VoVat

USA
9168 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2005 :  08:29:05  Show Profile  Visit VoVat's Homepage  Click to see VoVat's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Mink Car is probably my least favorite of TMBG's studio albums, but it still sounds like TMBG. Really, though, artists like TMBG and Frank don't really seem to have very many limits on what kind of music they'll make.

"If you doze much longer, then life turns to dreaming. If you doze much longer, then dreams turn to nightmares."
Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2005 :  02:45:00  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
it's all freedom rock
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000