Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Frank Black Chat
 Frank Black Making Noise
 Frank Black Duets With Courtney Love (?!?)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

dayanara
* Dog in the Sand *

Australia
1811 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2005 :  21:42:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
this is why i love frank. best media prank of all time.

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1500648/20050422/black_frank.jhtml?headlines=true

quote:
Pixies frontman calls Honeycomb 'a mixtape for a peaceful hike.

Charles Thompson was barely 1 year old when Bob Dylan released 1966's classic, genre-blending Blonde on Blonde, yet the double album eventually had a profound effect on the man who later founded the Pixies (under the name Black Francis.

"It was like, 'Yeah, I'm gonna knock out a record in Nashville for a few days before I head out on my world tour.' It was very Dylan." — Frank Black

"It just stuck with me, and for years," said the singer, now known as Frank Black. "I always wanted to do my own sort of version, Black on Blonde."

More than a decade ago, Black mentioned this idea to producer Jon Tiven, whose diverse credits include Robert Plant and B.B. King, and the two decided to make it happen as soon as it fit into their schedules. Ten years later, Black was finally ready.

"The Catholics had just come off an exhausting tour — actually several of them — and seemed to be pretty much done," Black said of his post-Pixies band. "There was nothing going on with Pixies, and I'd just gotten divorced and moved to this new city [Portland, Oregon], so it finally seemed the time to do this thing."

As fate would have it, though, Black learned hours later that plans for a Pixies reunion were in the works. Both projects started coming together, and by the time they were in place, Black had only four days to record with Tiven. Fortunately, the session players the producer lined up work fast.

"It actually made it cool," Black said. "It was like, 'Yeah, I'm gonna knock out a record in Nashville for a few days before I head out on my world tour.' It was very Dylan."

To play on the album, Tiven put together a who's who of veteran session musicians that included Steve Cropper, Spooner Oldham, Buddy Miller and David Hood, who among them had recorded with some of the biggest artists in country, R&B and rock, from Otis Redding to Elvis Presley.

"I don't think they really knew my stuff, but it didn't really matter," Black said. "I would show them the basics, and they would catch on so quickly it was literally one or two takes for every track."

As unlikely collaborators as the session players seemed with Black, whose frantic rock with the Pixies inspired Kurt Cobain's work with Nirvana, the singer topped them with the special guest he brought in to duet on "Strange Goodbye": Cobain's ex-wife, Courtney Love.

"I suppose it's just kind of my joke on the album," Black said. "Everybody else, all of our friends, were always so uncomfortable about it, so I thought I would throw this at them."

Along with recording several of Black's compositions, some of which he wrote years ago, the band also logged a few covers, including "Song of the Shrimp," which Elvis performed in the movie "Girls! Girls! Girls!," and "Dark End of the Street," made famous by Percy Sledge.

None of the tracks sound anything like Black's previous work. It's more like a mixtape for a peaceful hike, heavy with alt-country and Van Morrison-like light rock. An updated Blonde on Blonde is about accurate.

In the end, however, Black chose not to call it Black on Blonde because "it was a little too campy." Instead, he borrowed the title of the one of the tracks, "Honeycomb." "It was just a cool word that sounded singer/songwritery, but not too wimpy," he said.

Black is currently trying to line up the same musicians for a tour to promote the album, due July 19. "I'm not sure how much demand there is, though," he said. "[It's] certainly not like the Pixies."

Black is hitting the road with that band, too, for about a month beginning May 26 in Portland. Although he's the one who originally broke up the band years ago, he thoroughly enjoyed the comeback tour, one of the most successful treks of last year.

"I forgot how good it feels to be with these guys, not just onstage, but offstage," he said. "We have the same sort of sense of humor and all that. And we're being rewarded financially for something we did 20 years ago, and I'm not embarrassed by that. Isn't that what art is about? Being recognized?"

When asked if the Pixies plan to record new material, Black promptly answered, "We're a reunion band. People want to hear the old stuff."

Later, however, he said, "We'll record eventually. It's just easy not to do when promoters are calling every day with crazy money trying to book shows."

— Corey Moss

Larry....can you get me some bananas?

frnck blck
-= The Man =-

312 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2005 :  22:20:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[quote]Originally posted by dayanara

this is why i love frank. best media prank of all time.

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1500648/20050422/black_frank.jhtml?headlines=true

As unlikely collaborators as the session players seemed with Black, whose frantic rock with the Pixies inspired Kurt Cobain's work with Nirvana, the singer topped them with the special guest he brought in to duet on "Strange Goodbye": Cobain's ex-wife, Courtney Love.

"I suppose it's just kind of my joke on the album," Black said. "Everybody else, all of our friends, were always so uncomfortable about it, so I thought I would throw this at them."

Huh? I have no idea what this guy is talking about. It must be his prank. I just talked to the guy yesterday. We spoke of the duet, but not of Courtney. He must be trying to get hits on the site.

FB
Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2005 :  22:25:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
laaaame.

sup Frank?!
Go to Top of Page

frnck blck
-= The Man =-

312 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2005 :  22:43:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by floop

laaaame.

sup Frank?!

holding court in 15.
Go to Top of Page

Black_francis_
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
157 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2005 :  03:12:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hey charles! I hope you had a good 40th (sorry about my dumb username)
Go to Top of Page

kathryn
~ Selkie Bride ~

Belgium
15320 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2005 :  05:35:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fraaaaaaaaaank!!!!!!!!!

So sorry I missed this but thanks ever so much for dropping by:

http://forum.frankblack.net/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3015&whichpage=25

I still believe in the excellent joy of the Catholics
Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2005 :  08:23:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just logged on to post a topic with prety much that exact title! Then I discover there's something afoot, and FB is holding court! Hot damn!! Crazy!
Go to Top of Page

dayanara
* Dog in the Sand *

Australia
1811 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2005 :  08:55:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
maybe it was the ex-wife angle that screwed the writer up? that's still a pretty big screw up. jean sure as hell doesn't sound like corky.

the kids on the courtney love message boards are so exicted thinking it's true. poor things. a selection:

quote:
i love frank black so much i named a sheep after him

quote:
I am so glad that she is getting some of her credibility back after that awful year she had with court and her acting all crazy. If she good enough for Frank Black then people are going to have to start giving her props as a awesome musician again.

quote:
She should get Frank Black to produce and/or collaborate with her on a new album.....he'd totally be able to channel her metaphors.

lastly and most importantly, were you born in or around long beach, california?
"not even close" - frank black

Edited by - dayanara on 04/23/2005 08:56:17
Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2005 :  09:00:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I was thinking that too, but how on eath could they mix up his ex-wife and CL?? It's weird!
Go to Top of Page

kathryn
~ Selkie Bride ~

Belgium
15320 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2005 :  09:24:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sigh...the thread that started it all, it being last night's
impromptu Frank chat.

Dayanara I love that you lurk around a Courtney Love site
culling Frank-related tidbits. My favorite today is "If she's good enough for Frank Black then people are going to have to start giving her props as a awesome musician again." Um, guess
what, she's NOT good enough for Frank.

Go to Top of Page

chickenwithtwoheads
= Cult of Ray =

Netherlands
391 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2005 :  09:36:03  Show Profile  Visit chickenwithtwoheads's Homepage  Click to see chickenwithtwoheads's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
http://www.courtneylove.com/

This is from her "official" webpage:

Love Duets With Black
Pixies frontman Frank Black invited Courtney to sing with him on a song called "Strange Goodbye". The track will appear on his new Dylan-esque album entitled "Honeycomb" due out July 19th. (MTV.com)

I'm bored with the valleys and bored by the peaks. So I bought a ticket to the Pixies
Go to Top of Page

Jontiven
= Cult of Ray =

USA
347 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2005 :  10:10:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Those were some terrific shrooms, Corey. Wish I got some.

bye,
Jon Tiven
Go to Top of Page

kathryn
~ Selkie Bride ~

Belgium
15320 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2005 :  10:39:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jon Tiven and The Man vs. courtneylove.com

Who you gonna believe?

Besides, if you've heard the song you know that's Jean
and not...oh I can't even finish such an absurd sentence.

Go to Top of Page

PixieSteve
> Teenager of the Year <

Poland
4698 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2005 :  10:46:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i told mtv

Oh let it linger
Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2005 :  10:48:44  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
"...people are going to have to start giving her props as a awesome musician again."

Again? This sounds like the handy work of CL herself.
This thread has so cheered me up. I don't think i've ever laughed so hard in silence.
Go to Top of Page

chickenwithtwoheads
= Cult of Ray =

Netherlands
391 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2005 :  10:56:08  Show Profile  Visit chickenwithtwoheads's Homepage  Click to see chickenwithtwoheads's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Red = Courtney Love
Blue = FB
Black = Both

Strange Goodbye

I used to walk in a big black cloud
You took my hand and you led me out

A nest of demons played on my chest
You picked me up and you laid them to rest

It's a pain to be sure, we were aiming so high
It's so strange to be saying good-bye

We saw the world from an automobile
Saw the best news views over 10000 meals
Funny how an evening turns into years
Funny how we're laughing through all of these tears

It's a pain to be sure
We sure gave it a try
It's a shame to be saying goodbye

Oh, my darling, shall we have one more dance
A prayer to the rain god to give one more chance

The water will cleanse us as we spin on the plain
Take us to the ocean to find them again

It's a pain to be sure, we were aiming so high
It's a pain that endures, we sure gave it a try

I'm bored with the valleys and bored by the peaks. So I bought a ticket to the Pixies
Go to Top of Page

VoVat
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

USA
9168 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2005 :  11:28:54  Show Profile  Visit VoVat's Homepage  Click to see VoVat's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hey! Maybe Jean IS Courtney Love!

No, I guess that's a pretty stupid idea.

I was all out of luck, like a duck that died. I was all out of juice, like a moose denied.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4109 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2005 :  13:17:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by VoVat

Hey! Maybe Jean IS Courtney Love!

I was all out of luck, like a duck that died. I was all out of juice, like a moose denied.

Are you starting a rumour Vovat?

how do I post a pic?

- Frank Black 04/22/2005
Go to Top of Page

VoVat

USA
9168 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2005 :  13:42:02  Show Profile  Visit VoVat's Homepage  Click to see VoVat's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Well, we all know how much the Pixies love to rip off Nirvana, or vice versa...

You know, that gives me an idea for a thread. (No, not another Pixies/Nirvana rip-off thread.)

Edited by - VoVat on 04/23/2005 13:42:33
Go to Top of Page

Daisy Girl
~ Abstract Brain ~

Belize
5305 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2005 :  15:00:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, I heard when Frank was singing the Shrimp Song...

It really wasn't Frank singing it. It was Elvis singing THROUGH Frank.

Yup, that's what the psychic told me and I am sticking to it. .
Go to Top of Page

frnck blck
-= The Man =-

312 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2005 :  15:08:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
this article is a perfect example of a "journalist" taking liberties with the artist's words, badly paraphrasing the artist's words, and flat out making up quotes that the artist never spake...

fb

Edited by - frnck blck on 04/23/2005 15:08:57
Go to Top of Page

Daisy Girl
~ Abstract Brain ~

Belize
5305 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2005 :  15:10:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ahh a journalist who makes things up? I am shocked! (not)

Frank I can go beat him up for you!!

I really do love Honeycomb... and Blonde on Blonde. Great hearing the connection between the two. Honeycomb is equality great masterpiece in comparison to that album! Thanks for another amazing album!!

Looking forward to seeing you guys play again in Chi town for Lollapalooza!

Edited by - Daisy Girl on 04/23/2005 15:19:08
Go to Top of Page

OldManInaCoffeeCan
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1467 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2005 :  15:13:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Chuck, did you read my review of Rich's show? Now that is good, accurate journalism, if I do say so myself. And, just in case I screwed something up, I began the article with a caveat that any misquotes, misstatements or inaccuracies were totally my fault.

Let me know if you need someone to cover your summer and fall tours, I am available!
Go to Top of Page

VoVat

USA
9168 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2005 :  15:25:25  Show Profile  Visit VoVat's Homepage  Click to see VoVat's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I can't believe people are taking this one inaccurate article totally at face value. But then, people are awfully gullible.

Go to Top of Page

kathryn
~ Selkie Bride ~

Belgium
15320 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2005 :  18:47:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dear Frank:

I so appreciate your stopping by and I cannot wait for all your future endeavors,
whatever they may be. As my husband often says about me, I'd buy a CD of you passing gas -- everything you do is cool and welcome and I'll open
my wallet for. But would you pretty please get the Catholics back on tour
one day soon?

Many thanks and much respect from a true fan who does not mean
to sound whiny.

Kathryn

Go to Top of Page

dayanara
* Dog in the Sand *

Australia
1811 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2005 :  08:10:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
it's spreading...the horror continues.

http://www.gigwise.com/news.asp?contentid=5604
Go to Top of Page

Black_francis_
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
157 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2005 :  08:43:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
what the hell is going on?!
Go to Top of Page

The Holiday Son
= Quote Accumulator =

France
1995 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2005 :  08:49:56  Show Profile  Visit The Holiday Son's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'd be curious to know what was Frank's real quote.
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2005 :  08:56:48  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've sent an email, though who knows if they'll even heed it...

"Joined the Cult of Frank / And you'll be enlightened"
Go to Top of Page

OldManInaCoffeeCan
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1467 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2005 :  09:38:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If there was a quote or statement from Charles concerning the duet, it seems pretty obvious that the duet was with HIS ex-wife, not Kurt Cobain's widow,...[thanks for pointing out the misstatement herein Dayanara]...ergo, "I suppose it's just kind of my joke on the album," Black said. "Everybody else, all of our friends, were always so uncomfortable about it, so I thought I would throw this at them."

If this was actually stated by Charles it's obvious he is referring to the uncomfortable feelings of his friends concerning hanging with Jean and Charles post-divorce. You know the drill, husband and wife divorce, mutual friends become uncomfortable about hanging with divorced couple post-divorce, [and then usually the "mutual" friends take sides and one ex-spouse or the other is ostracized from said "mutual" friends"]

Sounds like Jean and Charles' split was amicable, and he invited Jean to sing the duet and enjoyed watching the tension and anxiety it created among "all of our friends".

It makes absolutely no sense whatsoever if you omit Jean and insert Courtney Love. But nonsense has never deterred most "reporters", and evidently didn't deter this one.

Edited by - OldManInaCoffeeCan on 04/25/2005 10:19:44
Go to Top of Page

dayanara
* Dog in the Sand *

Australia
1811 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2005 :  09:44:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
courtney isn't kurt's ex-wife, either (they were married when he died), so that makes the possibility of a genuine misunderstanding even more remote.
Go to Top of Page

mosleyk
= Cult of Ray =

USA
607 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2005 :  09:50:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Excellent point.

Hey I just checked the MTV website and they have corrected the quote. I guess somebody got through too them.
Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2005 :  10:13:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is'nt it strange, though? :O
Go to Top of Page

mosleyk
= Cult of Ray =

USA
607 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2005 :  11:08:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah...what did they think. Nobody would notice?
Go to Top of Page

Chip Away Boy
= Cult of Ray =

914 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2005 :  14:14:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i'd say they're big dummies.
Go to Top of Page

The Holiday Son
= Quote Accumulator =

France
1995 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2005 :  14:48:46  Show Profile  Visit The Holiday Son's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I think the funniest thing about all this is that the webmaster of courtneylove.com is even dumber than Corey Moss.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000