Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 14

Carolynanna
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Canada
6556 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2006 :  15:10:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Relax, let it all hang out...;)

I don't know, I've never had that problem...its like a tomato tree.

My mom told me that when a tomato plant starts to bear fruit you should snap off the majority of bottom branches so that it will concentrate its energy on the fruit.

Edited by - Carolynanna on 06/22/2006 15:14:57
Go to Top of Page

darwin

USA
5448 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2006 :  15:17:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've read that to. I've also read that reduced watering makes better tasting tomatoes, but I'm usually more worried about coming home from work and finding a shriveled plant.

Last year one plant went nuts, but it had a bean plant and trellis to drape over. This year their going to have to hold each other up.
Go to Top of Page

ObfuscateByWill
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1884 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2006 :  11:53:46  Show Profile  Visit ObfuscateByWill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I always have to remove the lower branches to limit blight.

Haven't read about it helping with the fruit, though. I'd rather they stick around and cast the shade that scares some weeds away.

*Release the bats!
Go to Top of Page

starmekitten
-= Forum Pistolera =-

United Kingdom
6370 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2006 :  02:18:07  Show Profile  Visit starmekitten's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The house to the back of ours decided to burn all their garden rubbish last night. The first fire at 9pm kicked off smoke (stupid witc was burning green leaves) that filled the house. The second fire at half past midnight burned down the back fence, melted the compost bin and killed a decent shrub, some sunflowers and singed the bay tree to buggery. The firefighters managed to knock down a tomato plant, trample the spring onions and I've lost all hope with the carrots.

On the plus side, the next door neighbours tell me if we hadn't cleared all the crap from the back the fire brigade reckon it would have been a lot worse. Apparantly we came very close to having them break in the back door at 3am. I (and the others) slept through it!!!

forum ebook: end of miles
Go to Top of Page

darwin

USA
5448 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2006 :  02:40:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Has anyone ever mentioned to you that you have poor luck?
Go to Top of Page

starmekitten
-= Forum Pistolera =-

United Kingdom
6370 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2006 :  02:56:26  Show Profile  Visit starmekitten's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ah Darwin, it has been noticed, yes.

This used to be a compost bin:

Edited by - starmekitten on 06/24/2006 02:59:15
Go to Top of Page

Cheeseman1000

Iceland
8201 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2006 :  03:48:43  Show Profile  Visit Cheeseman1000's Homepage  Reply with Quote

They killed my compost bin...

I have joined the Cult Of Frank/And I have dearly paid
Go to Top of Page

starmekitten
-= Forum Pistolera =-

United Kingdom
6370 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2006 :  04:04:24  Show Profile  Visit starmekitten's Homepage  Reply with Quote
She's left a note on the concrete pillar still standing where there used to be a back fence, the fire must have reginitied itself. Clever fire.

Go to Top of Page

NimrodsSon
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1938 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2006 :  11:13:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's really terrible news, I'm so sorry. I'm sure a lot of work went into that compost bin.

I almost had a disaster yesterday, but not nearly on the same level as that. A storm knocked loose the velcro ties supporting one of my six foot Better Boy tomato plants and it fell completely to the ground. Fortunately, I was able to get it back up with, as far as I can tell, no significant damage.

I picked my first ripe red bell pepper today, and it was quite delicious. There are three or four others that are finally beginning to ripen.

”Viva los Católicos!
Go to Top of Page

Llamadance
> Teenager of the Year <

United Kingdom
2543 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2006 :  02:44:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I learned a valuable lesson yesterday (though not bloody fast enough) that cutting back your holly tree wearing a t-shirt is not a good idea. My right arm is scratched to hell.

I also spent a large amount of time cutting back our Beech hedge which was getting over 10 foot tall in sporadic places. I have a dilemma though. I think the beech hedge is technically ours - ie planted on our side of the border by the previous inhabitants of our house. However, our neighbours never cut it, so while I can reach over and cut bits, it's not ideal.

We spent about £250 a couple of years back getting someone in to cut it, including their side, but they've never done anything since. I don't really want to cut it for them again as they'll just expect me to do it all the time, but then, I don't know if I'm obliged to, seeing as it's my hedge. hmmm.

What lies before us and what lies behind us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Edited by - Llamadance on 06/29/2006 02:46:00
Go to Top of Page

starmekitten
-= Forum Pistolera =-

United Kingdom
6370 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2006 :  03:06:38  Show Profile  Visit starmekitten's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I know it seems obvious but is it worth just having a friendly word with them? I guess it depends how much it annoys you as to whether it's worth just doing yourself.

The fire killed the tomato plants :(

Before:

After:

I don't know if they can be helped much.

On the plus side the pepper plant looks to be ok

It has a little flower!
Go to Top of Page

Cheeseman1000

Iceland
8201 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2006 :  03:12:59  Show Profile  Visit Cheeseman1000's Homepage  Reply with Quote
And the strawberries! Don't forget the strawberries!

Go to Top of Page

starmekitten
-= Forum Pistolera =-

United Kingdom
6370 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2006 :  03:18:31  Show Profile  Visit starmekitten's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sorry cherub, the strawberries:

and while we're at it the (slightly underwhelming) hanging herb garden:

is that everything?

Go to Top of Page

Llamadance
> Teenager of the Year <

United Kingdom
2543 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2006 :  03:28:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
RIP tomatoes :( Can't you rebrand them as flame-grilled from the vine? Strawberries look great....I assume this all Cheeseman's handywork?

Talking to them would be the sensible plan of action, but we hardly ever see them, there's dodgy sub-letting going on, and I'm really not sure how they'd take it. Although saying that, if they had a problem with the hedge, I'd want them to talk to me about it.

What lies before us and what lies behind us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Go to Top of Page

Cheeseman1000

Iceland
8201 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2006 :  03:57:11  Show Profile  Visit Cheeseman1000's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Llamadance

Strawberries look great....I assume this all Cheeseman's handywork?

Woah, careful saying things like that...

Go to Top of Page

starmekitten
-= Forum Pistolera =-

United Kingdom
6370 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2006 :  04:11:27  Show Profile  Visit starmekitten's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ha! Ha! and once more for the children: HA!

Cheeseman is handy for spider removal, shirt-off-like-the-man-in-the-coke-ad digging/turning of soil and mass ivy tearing. I'm good at the felling really big weeds with a saw or by jumping on them, planting things, remembering to water the plants and getting dirt all over my skirt. The australian is good for destruction of things that would have been useful to keep which is why we don't let him in the garden anymore.

So as you can see it really is a group effort.

Go to Top of Page

PixieSteve
> Teenager of the Year <

Poland
4698 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2006 :  04:17:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i just remembered i grew cherry tomatoes a couple of summers ago. what great fun that was :/

FAST_MAN  RAIDER_MAN - June 19th
Go to Top of Page

Carolynanna

Canada
6556 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2006 :  12:43:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just came back from the lake and its awesome to see everything so much larger. I think the corn prolly grew 2 feet.

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2006 :  13:46:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i now have a total of probably 40 pepper plants growing, in pots and in the ground. anyone like hot peppers?

"I don't have any money to buy new clothes and if they paid me to get some I'd probably buy more hoodies." - Mark Wainfur

Edited by - floop on 07/05/2006 13:50:52
Go to Top of Page

NimrodsSon
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1938 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2006 :  17:09:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I LOVE hot peppers! The hotter the better. I chose not to grow any because there's just so few times that you can really use them and I needed the space. Wow, forty of them! You'll be drying them of course?

Which reminds me of a question that some of you may know the answer to. Can you sun-dry tomatoes if it rains where you live? I don't get a whole lot of rain, but do you have to have absolutely no rain in order to sun-dry fruit? If I dried tomatoes in a dehydrator would they come out anything like sundried tomatoes?

”Viva los Católicos!
Go to Top of Page

NimrodsSon
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1938 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2006 :  17:12:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Has anyone started second plantings of tomatoes, squash, cukes, etc. yet? I've been meaning to root some of the suckers from my tomato plants for a while now, but I've been putting it off and I think at this point I may just have to buy some new plants.

”Viva los Católicos!
Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2006 :  17:32:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by NimrodsSon
You'll be drying them of course?

no. eating

"I don't have any money to buy new clothes and if they paid me to get some I'd probably buy more hoodies." - Mark Wainfur
Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2006 :  09:41:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow. Beautiful. I like that cool lamppost on the street, too.

Join the Cult Of Pob! And don't forget to listen to the Pobcast!
Go to Top of Page

Carolynanna

Canada
6556 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2006 :  09:50:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ahem, nice coleus.

tobafett
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1713 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2006 :  10:17:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
planted the following this past spring:

two tomato plants (and got 6 off of them! they're wonderful romas!)
raspberry bush. died (dog chewed)
blackberry bush. died (")
3 lavender plants. 1 died and 2 are doing beautifully. nice smell.
1 pepper plant. 1 big ol' pepper growin on him.
1 pecan tree. died (over watered)
2 peppermint plants. yum!
2 lemon balm plants. yum!
2 spearmint plants. nice n smelly.
no peaches on the peach tree. no apricots on the apricot tree.

i'm really depressed about the pecan tree...i've planted four and they've all died...they're all heirlooms from a tree at my grandmother's house (planted the year I was born [/waxes nostalgic] sigh.

my two three-year old grape vines are freakin' loaded (!) with grapes...wine makin' 101 this fall!
Go to Top of Page

starmekitten
-= Forum Pistolera =-

United Kingdom
6370 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2006 :  10:31:20  Show Profile  Visit starmekitten's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Despite the fire two of the tomatoes have started to fruit and it looks like Simons Olive is too! Now all we have to do is tidy up and reconstruct the path that the australian broke.

Go to Top of Page

NimrodsSon
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1938 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2006 :  11:10:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You have an olive tree? Yumm! I wish I could grow olives over here, especially since it's impossible to get them fresh in the store here in the USA and cure them yourself unless you live in California.

That's too bad about the pecan trees, tobafett. Keep trying. There's NOTHING better than a fresh pecan (I said the same thing about tomatoes, didn't I?), as opposed to the ones they sell in most stores that are like 3 years old. I live in probably the best spot in the universe for growing pecan trees (well, about 100 miles further south is probably the best spot in the universe), but I don't have one because they get SO big and I get the impression that they're majorly high maintenance. Do you know how much truth there is to that? I see you've got the peaches as well. It takes about 4-5 years for them to start fruiting so be patient. You don't happen to live in GA, do you? Georgia peaches and Georgia pecans are simply THE best in the world, period. California peaches are to Georgia peaches as store-bought, gas-ripened tomatoes are to home-grown ones. So enjoy them in the grocery stores while they last (another month or so).

Speaking of fruit trees, it should be less than a month before my persimmons ripen. Of course, the dog always manages to eat them before I can, and then he vomits every single day because he eats too many. And there are actually ALREADY figs on the fig trees I just planted this spring. Well, the Celeste doesn't have any yet, but the Brown Turkey and Green Ischia do, especially the Green Ischia--it's got 10-15!

Anyways, good luck with the pecan tree! Keep trying.

”Viva los Católicos!
Go to Top of Page

tobafett
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1713 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2006 :  13:37:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
oklahoma, man...I like those Georgia pecans (mostly the famous Desirables--which are awesome! those Georgians know how to grow' em!). My grandmother's tree is a Wichita...which the Univ. of Georgia website calls "Fairly precocious" which I take to mean a pain in the ass to grow :)

I will keep planting until I get one to take...I can't wait for an 80-foot tall tree in the backyard. (and all those pies!)
Go to Top of Page

mosleyk
= Cult of Ray =

USA
607 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2006 :  13:38:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Man...every time I see this thread I remember I need to take pictures of our garden and flower baskets. (note to self...NOTE TO SELF!!)We are currently eating ripe sungold tomatoes daily, zucchini here and there, and my beans and corn are really taking off (so glad I remembered to soak the corn seeds overnight before planting. All other veggies are coming along nicely and I can't wait to try the Jerusalem artichokes.

Congrats on the peppers Floop! I knew they would come through! And congrats to everyone else your gardens/plants look so beautiful.
Go to Top of Page

tobafett
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1713 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2006 :  13:41:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
and that sucks about your garden, tre. are the neighbours paying for a new fence?
Go to Top of Page

Carolynanna

Canada
6556 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2006 :  11:44:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Update;

Corn growth;

Red pepper growth;

First pepper flower;

And can anyone guess what this is?

tobafett
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1713 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2006 :  12:12:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
squash?
Go to Top of Page

El Loco
- FB Fan -

206 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2006 :  12:25:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
dirty nails
Go to Top of Page

Carolynanna

Canada
6556 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2006 :  12:44:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, hehe, my nails are permanently dirty during the summer.

Its a watermelon.

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2006 :  12:50:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
did you know there's some naked kid hanging out in your greenhouse?

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 14 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000