Frank Black friends with The Frames
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
6012 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2005 :  10:06:55  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
okay in this interview of a dutch webstation
(but it's in english)
the frames singer says he's close with frank
with some nice facts:
http://3voor12.vpro.nl/3voor12/magazines/news/index.jsp?portals=2534202&magazines=10719222&news=21202892

"I joined the cult of Jon Tiven/Bye!"

frank black conspiracy
~ Abstract Brain ~

1126 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2005 :  10:30:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Bill, I can make out the words "Frank', "Black' and 'Frames' but the rest seems to be in Dutch.

Is there something I need to click on to get a translation?
Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2005 :  10:35:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's in Dutch! Dat is niet goed! I've looked around the site, but I can't seem to get an english version of this. Got another link?
Go to Top of Page

ElevatorLady
= Cult of Ray =

385 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2005 :  11:37:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No problemo. Just use the Altavista's Babel Fish Translation and all is made clear.

The career of the passionate Irish folkrockers The frames seemed beginning years ninety get droomstart. They were then signed at the Island label by the famous plate boss Chris Blackwell, who among others the brio of bob Marley, U2, Steve Winwood and TOMs realised Waits early. I eighteen and had in fact each contract had been, however, signed, but what kind of me then determined, were that Blackwell TOMs had signed Waits. I left its kantoortje with a splendid press parcel of Waits album Bone machine, remind myself frames front man Glen Hansard. "Waits empty the lat this way high, he determined the difference for me then between art with large and with a small k." What Hansard at that moment not yet knew, were that Blackwell took the same day still dismissal. A year later the link found himself on a large label which in fact did not want them. An employee of the plate society will stamp very fijntjes on our cd to stand under calling: ` you are kutband, and this is kloteplaat. It is not yet a wonder that we the confidence in the plate industry lost have, also already our radar registers ` lulkoek, lulkoek each time. I weet also not for which we continue still, but if you lose yourself optimism, end is missing. After for dropping off by Island, it was many years' work hard in the fork for what fanatical fans. But The frames get this year a chance. Their new album Burn The Maps ends up worldwide by means of Anti-label, which occasional also TOMs have Waits under contract. In the meantime its The frames after well receive semi For The Birds and live-album the Setlist world-famous become in Ireland. Hansard: "it seems as if everyone who The found frames ever nice finds oneself now in a social position, where they can support us also." Burn The Maps a strange album title for world conquerors seems. Only arranged for discovery travellers without country card, but you must translate the expression also not too litterally. It concerns is able release of your reference points, of your heroes. When you grow up, you absorb all information in you. But this way around your thirtieth the moment must nevertheless come, which you become adult and no longer too much are surprised against your heroes. How does it sit then with hero Bono of U2? Hansard appear know him personally. Previous year he built a link with Pixies voorman frank Black, who gladly a couple wants be driven round days by Ireland. "afterwards it not at all proves to be that we this way much concerning rock'n'roll have talked", astonish themselves Pixiesfan Hansard. We had it more concerning how it is for getrouwd enzo to be. But Black told on an evening me that he was invited on a etentje of U2, which had to celebrate that R.E.M. in Dublin were. I still objected that I served not the younger from savage hang, but Black persuaded me to go along. ` they are only my knowledge, but you are my comrade. Nou, and there zat I then between the gods of the rock. At a given moment Bono even drank to toast on The frames. Records if he is, join Hansard, however, immediately: That was a beautiful moment. But I am there me of aware, that if I had not come with frank Black, I not even in the buurt of the restaurant could have come. These yielded frames album Burn The Maps, appeared which is temporarily to listen to in our lustre pile. The play frames Wednesday evening 9 February in the from Amsterdam Paradiso. Their action in the London Bush hall of November is previous listen to year still on this site. Also the complete interview with Glen Hansard van The listens to frames from the programme twice verifies.
Go to Top of Page

frank black conspiracy
~ Abstract Brain ~

1126 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2005 :  12:01:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
almost clear, but thankyou.
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
6012 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2005 :  02:13:06  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
people people, you have to click on the banner
and than the interview can be HEARD!
that's in english
the story beneath it is just a quick scan in dutch

"I joined the cult of Jon Tiven/Bye!"
Go to Top of Page

frank black conspiracy
~ Abstract Brain ~

1126 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2005 :  02:38:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Genius!
Go to Top of Page

geertos
- FB Fan -

Belgium
158 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2005 :  06:21:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I actually went to see the Frames three days ago in Brussels, in a small, sold-out club. They are ASTONISHING ! ! I don’t know about their records, but they’re certainly one hell of a terrific rocking live band. Seriously.

The singer was also joking about Kim Deal, « who has to fight one demon on one shoulder, saying smokeitdrinkitsmokeitdrinkit and one demon on another shoulder, saying smokeitdrinkitsmokeitdrinkit ». And the last song of the first round of encores was a great cover of Where is My Mind. He actually got the incomprehensible part (« except for the fish… ») spot-on. Wonder if Frank told him the words ?
Go to Top of Page

kathryn
~ Selkie Bride ~

Belgium
15320 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2005 :  19:05:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love all of you people!

I still believe in the excellent joy of the Frank
Go to Top of Page

DruggedBunny
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
395 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2005 :  16:10:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There was a radio session with 3 songs by Frank and Glen Hansard of The Frames (I know nothing about them myself). It was available for a while but the original site is now down. If anyone can host the files for everyone else, I'll upload them privately (as I did with the Pixies '86 demos)... I don't fancy the bandwidth hit myself! I'm at [forums @ hi - toro . com] -- only email if you can host them for all!

--
"Nothing to do about it..."
Go to Top of Page

Someone
- FB Fan -

94 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2005 :  23:23:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don't know the first thing about computers so i cant host them, whatever that means. but its good stuff. i mostly like the shrimp song. its my favorite version. unfortunately glen hansard singing kind of hurts the song overall. no disrespect to him, i think he just want as familiar with is as frank was.
Go to Top of Page

geertos
- FB Fan -

Belgium
158 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2005 :  02:22:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Frames have been discussed previously:

http://forum.frankblack.net/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7183

Apparently, they have done live covers of WIMM, Gigantic, Cactus, Debaser and Rock Music. Some cool links to (legal) live mp3's over there also.
Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2007 :  10:00:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Interview with Hansard, Marketa Irglova and John Carney about the film Once:

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/32771
Go to Top of Page

The Marsist
= Cult of Ray =

Ireland
730 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2007 :  16:09:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
iv seen the frames twice and yes they are fantastic live. the first time i saw them they played debaser , it was AWESOME.

interestingly, or not, the dj on that radio session lives in my town and his mother is the secetary in my old school. its of no importance, just thought id say.

Art is the child of Nature; yes, her darling child, in whom we trace the features of the mother's face, her aspect and her attitude.
-Beck

Edited by - The Marsist on 05/23/2007 16:16:54
Go to Top of Page

s_wrenn
* Dog in the Sand *

Ireland
1851 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2007 :  16:12:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tom Dunne?

/ @ * ~ ¦ ¬ . , |
Go to Top of Page

The Marsist
= Cult of Ray =

Ireland
730 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2007 :  16:16:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
is that tom dunne? i thought it was ray darcy.but on second listen your right. i meant ray darcy (a very nice guy incidently)

Art is the child of Nature; yes, her darling child, in whom we trace the features of the mother's face, her aspect and her attitude.
-Beck

Go to Top of Page

s_wrenn
* Dog in the Sand *

Ireland
1851 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2007 :  16:22:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I met ray d'arcy when he was on The Den, he was very smiley

/ @ * ~ ¦ ¬ . , |
Go to Top of Page

The Marsist
= Cult of Ray =

Ireland
730 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2007 :  16:24:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the den was so much better with him and zig and zag.

-Beck

Go to Top of Page

s_wrenn
* Dog in the Sand *

Ireland
1851 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2007 :  16:28:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
it was 1993 when i met him, i was 7, and zig and zag were just gone from the show by then. A few months later they brought in Socky. Still the lads behind zig and zag are still around with Podge and Rodge and that bronx bunny show

/ @ * ~ ¦ ¬ . , |
Go to Top of Page

The Marsist
= Cult of Ray =

Ireland
730 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2007 :  16:31:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
oh my god i didnt know they did bronx bunny. do you remember that quiz show zig, zag and ray darcy did called Phat, i think? it was also the beginnings of Des bishop.

-Beck

Go to Top of Page

s_wrenn
* Dog in the Sand *

Ireland
1851 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2007 :  16:35:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
2Phat, where you won a scooter. You also needed to bring 15 friends
I remember that show being funny

On a side note, when i was at then den, they guy who did the voice for Dustin wore a fake beard to hide his identity. I have myself convinced that Mario Rosenstock (gift grub) does the voice of Dustin

/ @ * ~ ¦ ¬ . , |
Go to Top of Page

The Marsist
= Cult of Ray =

Ireland
730 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2007 :  16:42:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i cant stand that fuckin scumbag turky. the guy who did dustins voice is in an episode of father ted i dont know which one though.

we have violently de-railed this topic into obscure 90's irish pop- culture.

-Beck

Go to Top of Page

s_wrenn
* Dog in the Sand *

Ireland
1851 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2007 :  16:49:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Better get back on topic here.

Glen Hansard has red hair

/ @ * ~ ¦ ¬ . , |
Go to Top of Page

The Marsist
= Cult of Ray =

Ireland
730 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2007 :  16:52:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
their fiddle player is shit hot.

frank should incorperate a fiddle from time to time.

-Beck

Go to Top of Page

s_wrenn
* Dog in the Sand *

Ireland
1851 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2007 :  16:59:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is probably a stupid question, but how good are the frames?
I don't have any of their albums, i've only heard their singles on the radio

/ @ * ~ ¦ ¬ . , |
Go to Top of Page

The Marsist
= Cult of Ray =

Ireland
730 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2007 :  17:38:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the frames are pretty awesome. i dont have any albums but everything iv heard has been cool.

-Beck

Go to Top of Page

mixedbizz
- FB Fan -

USA
176 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2007 :  18:18:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DruggedBunny

There was a radio session with 3 songs by Frank and Glen Hansard of The Frames (I know nothing about them myself). It was available for a while but the original site is now down. If anyone can host the files for everyone else, I'll upload them privately (as I did with the Pixies '86 demos)... I don't fancy the bandwidth hit myself! I'm at [forums @ hi - toro . com] -- only email if you can host them for all!

--
"Nothing to do about it..."

I thought it was just two songs (Shrimp Song and Aul' Triange). Anyway, here's Aul' Triangle:

http://www.mediafire.com/?2evvv9notxe

I like Hansard's voice. i heard he's in a new movie that's pretty good.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000