New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

fumanbru
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1461 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2005 :  17:03:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i know this has been discussed numerous times on this site before but this song is so beautiful that it deserves some more attention!

the first few times i heard speedy marie i thought that this is a great song even without an understanding and appreciation of the lyrics. and then i read and re-read the lyrics and thought what a beautiful love song. around 8 years later i found out that it is an acrostic- the first letter of each of the last 14 lines of the song spell out frank's love at the time- jean marie walsh. now that totally blew me away! how cool is that. and then, a couple of years later i discovered that the last 14 lines is also a shakespearean sonnet (thanks to soemone on the forum). a shakespearean sonnet is a 14 line poem in iambic pentameter with a carefully patterned rhyming scheme. and the rhyming scheme goes ABAB CDCD. (sight, saw, delight, awe, speaks, soothe, cheeks, tooth).

the sonnet, the acrostic, and the beautiful words fit so perfectly with the music and arrangements! this song is the most lovely art!

"I joined the Cult of Frank/ and I got a free t-shirt with this dude on it."

n/a
deleted

4109 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2005 :  17:21:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
With all that said, I think there's not much more to say, it's surely the most lovely art! And my daughter thiks he did it for her!

We have the answer to all your fears
It's short, it's simple, it's crystal dear
It's round about, it's somewhere here
Lost amongst our winnings

Edited by - n/a on 02/05/2005 17:21:45
Go to Top of Page

Don Eduardo
= Cult of Ray =

Australia
403 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2005 :  18:32:55  Show Profile  Click to see Don Eduardo's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Yep great song, probably my favourite song ever
Go to Top of Page

fumanbru
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1461 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2005 :  18:52:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
probably my favorite song as well. and for my wife this is the song that sparked her interest into frank's music. up to that point she thought fb's music was ok if she was in the mood for screaming and some loud music. but once i read her the lyrics and explained the acrostic she started to cry and had a new found appreciation for his music! aleluiah!

Go to Top of Page

OldManInaCoffeeCan
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1467 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2005 :  23:22:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh yeah, THAT'S what I'm talking about, a new present for me, if you will, (and anyone else unaware of the lyrics of Speedy Marie)
There is always something new to be discovered about the songwriting genius of The Man.

And this place is the only place for EVERYTHING FRANK. (As soon as I read Fumanbru's topic I went directly to the Song Database here and of course the lyrics for Speedy Marie were there and so was JEANMARIEWALSH).
Go to Top of Page

frank black conspiracy
~ Abstract Brain ~

1126 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2005 :  02:22:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No wonder so many think this is Frank's most beautiful romaunt, it is all you want in a song and so much more.
From the words to the chords, to the letters of the song, i love it and am in awe of it's majesty since i first heard.
Frank really has something magical with this one. It can never be described as just a song, it's that special.

The only way I can praise it and do it any justice is by saying it's one of my favourite songs on Teenager Of The Year

I knew of sonnets before, but not the true rhyming scheme thing, so big thanks for that fumanbru. Really interesting.
(this place is more than just for fun, it's an education too!)

And 'juxtaposed' is such a cool word.
Go to Top of Page

Sir Rockabye
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1158 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2005 :  19:38:26  Show Profile  Visit Sir Rockabye's Homepage  Reply with Quote
When I first bought TOTY, I listened to the whole album through once or twice, and once I had figure out which songs I like the most, really gravitate towards those. I think I was too young to have much of an attention span for music, so I would listen to maybe five or six tracks, then pop in a different disc. Perhaps anywhere from six months to a year later, I realized the beauty of the whole album, and since then, I haven't been able to listen to it without listening to it the whole way through. Anyway, Speedy Marie was not one of the five or six songs that really hit me when I first owned the album. I now must say that it is probably my favorite song of the record, and seeing how TOTY may be my favorite Frank album, its possible that Speedy might be my favorite song (although, I could never pick a favorite). I even honored the song in seventh grade in my woodshop class by naming my Pinewood Derby Race Car that I built "Speedy Marie" and writing the name on both sides of the car. She was better built, I tell you.

I will never say the word procrastinate again, I'll never see myself in the mirror with my eyes closed.
Go to Top of Page

starmekitten
-= Forum Pistolera =-

United Kingdom
6370 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2005 :  19:54:26  Show Profile  Visit starmekitten's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sir Rock, that is as precious as the song itself.

Hats off to you sir.

Go to Top of Page

hWolsky
= Cult of Ray =

France
696 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2005 :  01:43:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Presley should have sung this beautiful one...

You'd better sign my Non-Alignement Pact
Go to Top of Page

SHAZEB ANDLEEB
- FB Fan -

Saint Kitts and Nevis
145 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2005 :  16:29:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Juxtaposed in each moment's sight
Everything that I ever saw
And my one delight"

For me, those words mark where this song starts to establish itself as one of the greatest songs ever.

hermaphroditos is my name
worship me
Go to Top of Page

shineoftheever
> Teenager of the Year <

Canada
4307 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2005 :  17:13:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
word up! i love this song. TOTY is just so awesome.
Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2005 :  17:18:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
my Pinewood Derby car will leave yours in the dust Sir Rock.

smell you later

ist es möglich für ein quesadilla skrotum zu lecken? beim sprechen der quesadillas von LBF, ja. ja in der tatheheheheheheehehee!
Go to Top of Page

Broken Face
-= Forum Pistolero =-

USA
5155 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2005 :  17:20:50  Show Profile  Visit Broken Face's Homepage  Reply with Quote
no way punks - my pinewood derby was built in the early 90s and was a batmobile-style racer - bring it on

-Brian

If you move I shoots!

Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2005 :  17:36:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
bring it!

you, me, sir rock.

devil's cliff. midnight.

racing for pinks!

ist es möglich für ein quesadilla skrotum zu lecken? beim sprechen der quesadillas von LBF, ja. ja in der tatheheheheheheehehee!
Go to Top of Page

fumanbru
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1461 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2005 :  05:57:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i put my money on sir rock since he's been racing since the 7th grade.

has anyone ever read or heard frank discuss this song? i can't even remember seeing this song being discussed in detail in any frank review- maybe just a mention of it being an acrostic. frank's so modest that if asked about the song i could see him replying something like this, "just a little ditty i put together for my girlfriend on valentine's day. thought i'd have some fun with the words."

Go to Top of Page

kathryn
~ Selkie Bride ~

Belgium
15320 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2005 :  09:10:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sir Rock will beat the pants off of anyone who hasn't been into
Frank since seventh grade. Nuff said.

Great song, great thread.

I still believe in the excellent joy of the Frank
Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2005 :  10:38:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i thought Sir Rock was in the 7th grade

Go to Top of Page

kathryn
~ Selkie Bride ~

Belgium
15320 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2005 :  11:12:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Watch it, old man!

I still believe in the excellent joy of the Frank
Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2005 :  12:04:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i am an old man.

an old man man who will kick any and everybody's ass at Pinewood Derby without even trying

bring it, kids

Edited by - floop on 02/08/2005 12:08:56
Go to Top of Page

Sir Rockabye
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1158 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2005 :  12:31:10  Show Profile  Visit Sir Rockabye's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey hey hey, what is this?

Not only do I have the experience of high-school Pine Derby competition, but in one year at boyscouts, I managed to place in the racing competition.

The secret is graphite on the axls. Gets 'em everytime.

I will never say the word procrastinate again, I'll never see myself in the mirror with my eyes closed.
Go to Top of Page

frank black conspiracy
~ Abstract Brain ~

1126 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2005 :  12:50:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
(sorry to take this slighly off topic, fu, but...)

...We got a race on here!

But which one's 'Speedy Marie'?

And the who the hell is that?

Edited by - frank black conspiracy on 02/08/2005 12:51:32
Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2005 :  12:52:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sir Rockabye

The secret is graphite on the axls. Gets 'em everytime.

you talk big sir rock, but that won't help you on race track i'm afraid. graphite or not.

Go to Top of Page

starmekitten
-= Forum Pistolera =-

United Kingdom
6370 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2005 :  13:52:45  Show Profile  Visit starmekitten's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sir Rock is going to kick all your old-man arses

Go to Top of Page

Sir Rockabye
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1158 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2005 :  14:37:44  Show Profile  Visit Sir Rockabye's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Crud, I feel bad about steering this thread off of the Beauty of Speedy Marie. In the spirit of all that is FB.net, I hereby concede (my self proclaimed) as best forumer Pine Derby Racer.

Although, I did have the hottest wheels around. The Speedy Marie Racer. Oh yeah.

Go to Top of Page

Sir Rockabye
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1158 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2005 :  14:46:16  Show Profile  Visit Sir Rockabye's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Crud, I feel bad about steering this thread off of the Beauty of Speedy Marie. In the spirit of all that is FB.net, I hereby concede (my self proclaimed) as best forumer Pine Derby Racer. Thanks for sticking up for me though Kitty.

Although, I did have the hottest wheels around. The Speedy Marie Racer. Oh yeah.

Edited by - Sir Rockabye on 02/08/2005 15:24:40
Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2005 :  15:14:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i take all the blame Sir Rock.

but that doesn't mean my Pinewood Derby Racecar isn't going to annhiliate yours this year.

Go to Top of Page

Kirk
= Cult of Ray =

USA
633 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2005 :  17:12:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Acrostics are neat!

http://www.snopes.com/photos/graphics/grave1.jpg
Go to Top of Page

starmekitten
-= Forum Pistolera =-

United Kingdom
6370 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2005 :  02:04:57  Show Profile  Visit starmekitten's Homepage  Reply with Quote
haha thats so funny

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4109 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2005 :  03:04:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sir Rock, built for speed!

So this is for when you're feeling happy again
And this is for when you're feeling sad
And this is for when you feel...
Something
Go to Top of Page