New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

dayanara
* Dog in the Sand *

Australia
1811 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2004 :  19:19:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Someone sent me these a long time ago and they've been lurking anonymously in my computer ever since. Can someone tell me when and where this was originally published? Was it in the press kit for the album?

quote:

Debaser
There’s a cord progression, that’s the first thing. Then a word or a phrase at the most. Then a topic evolves around that. I thought of Un Chien Andalou and I thought an arty French movie was an equally dumb thing to write a song about.
Debaser fitted well because at the time of the movie the Parisiens were ripping up their seats in the theatres because of another film and the point of Un Chien Andalou was to debase morality. To debase standards of art. The classic film school shot is the razor slicing across the eyeball. Eyes are the main way people communicate; you can hold unspoken conversations. I guess that it’s the most important part of your body unless you’re talking to a blind person.

Tame
I don’t want to sound like a male chauvinist, but I have a male perspective, because I am male. ‘Tame’ is about women more than men. But the way some men treat their hair it’s incredible and I can[‘t] understand all that deodorant and stuff. I’ve never related to it. My family’s rather spartan.
It’s about putting all that time into sexual presentation. I don’t mean it in a dirty kind of way. Where I live in the city, women spend time presenting themselves and still come out forever bland and mediocre.

I Bleed
In the first two verses there’s no topic whatsoever; all this is just a rhyme structured AABCBDD. It’s all very automatic. The rest is about Arizona. There’s a very famous cliff dwelling there, with two or three storey houses about a mile up inside these cliffs. It’s about 900 years old and you can still see the handprints from the people who pressed the plaster onto the walls. And you can take your hand and place it in the print and it’s very wooh.

Wave Of Mutilation
Mostly I try to stick with more physical imagery just because it’s more tangible mentally than he or she or it, like ‘Little Red Corvette.”
The first line is a joke on The Beach Boys and Charles Manson. They hung out together and all that. And he wrote this song called ‘Cease To Exist.’ And supposedly The Beach Boys used a lot of his lyrics and gave him a sports car or something. And they had this boys loved girl song where they went ‘cease to resist’ and changed his lyrics around. They couldn’t have ‘cease to exist’ because it was all powerful suicide stuff! He’s just some glorified charismatic figure like Hitler. But he does say some interesting things, he’s a result of something but I don’t know what.

Here Comes Your Man
This is a pre-Pixies song that I wrote when I was about 15. It’s about wino’s and hobos travelling on the trains who dies in the California Earthquake. Before earthquakes everything gets very calm, animals stop talking and birds stop chirping and there’s no wind. It’s very ominous.
I’ve been through a few earthquakes actually ‘cos I grew up in California. I was only in one big one in 1971. I was very young and I slept through it. I’ve been awake through lots of small ones at school and at home. It’s very exciting actually, a very comical thing. It’s like the earth is shaking, and what can you do? Nothing.

Dead
This is the story of David and Bathsheba of the Old Testament. King David was on his rooftop one nighttime watching a woman bathing in the nude and he was aroused, I guess. Anyway he sent some men after her and I don’t know whether it was rape or a seduction, but she became pregnant. So David arrange for Uriah, her husband, who was a soldier in his army, to be sent to the battle on a suicide mission. So ‘Dead’ is a metaphor for sex reduced to the most basic; ugly, bad lust with equally bad results.

Monkey Gone To Heaven
‘This monkey’s gone to heaven’ is not connected to the rest of the song at all, it was the working lyric and we couldn’t come up with anything better.
I’m not really trying to address any issue: the sky and the ocean are both very ancient, spiritual and mythological places. And I’m just trying to talk about them in surreal kinds of ways: there’s a hole in the ozone layer scientifically, but the unreal side is that there’s a hole in the sky and the sky means alot of things and has alot of implications to lots of people in different cultures in past, present and future, right? Like the man dying from the sludge in the water in New Jersey, is just me getting mythological again. It’s Neptune I picture dying from the pollution.

Grieves
It’s about the end of the world I guess. Mr Grieves is the Death character of mythology. The ‘man in the middle’ is Dr Doolittle, because if you could speak to the animals you would be the great link between mankind and the animal world. There’s this theory that if not smarter than us, animals are aware of what’s going on and if we could communicate with them, they could give us the answer of the future and make everything ok. But I’m assuming that a nuclear winter will mean that Mr Grieves is going to win in the end.

Crackity Jones
Joses Jones is a roommate I had in Puerto Rico. I lived in this men’s dorm that was half homosexual and I had this really crazy drug addict psycho weirdo guy to share with and this is all about him.
I would be speaking to him in Spanish so everything would be a little vague to me and he kept talking on and on about Paco Picopiedra and La Muneca. I couldn’t work out what he was talking about and it was Fred Flinstone!

La La Love You
There is no love in here. Not a drop. I’ve never written a love song. It’s just like an abstract sort of joke; ‘la la love you don’t mean maybe’. It’s just mimicking a really bad 1950’s song or maybe I should say 1980’s. ‘First base, second base, third base, home run’ is a very Shakespearian crass joke in America, a crude joke for full copulation. I’m just being as minimalist as I can, but it conjures up lots of images – well one image I should say.

Number 13 Baby
This is a collage of images of when I was growing up in Los Angeles. Number 13 traditionally means bad luck, but in America, especially in the 60’s among bikers and chicanos, the number 13 is the thirteenth letter of the alphabet: M for marijuana.
It’s a really goofy sub culture, but it’s kinda funny, and even today you can see it spray-painted on walls ‘The Meter Boys Number 13’. So it is about a Mexican girl or a Samoan girl, a boyish, sexual, adolescent collage of Southern California living.

There Goes My Gun
There’s nothing to this apart from that one line. It’s the hook right? It’s the chorus. I could have written a verse but it sounded cool without the lyrics so it’s much more effective and theatrical. These are just popular phrases I would associate with having a gun, ‘Looka me’ because it’s a position of power. I don’t own a gun, I’m afraid of them.
People keep asking me is this some sort of phallic symbol, you know ‘There goes my gun’, an orgasm. I mean I suppose that could be true but I get the impression that in the literary world anything that is taller than it is wide is a phallic, you know what I mean? I’m just talking about guns I guess. I just want to make a cool rock ‘n’ roll song.

Hey
It’s a relationship song about two classic sad figures. Myself or maybe not myself. Uh is the sound of sex and also of childbirth. I dunno I’m just sorta sad about about how sex goes the wrong way in a very basic sort of way and how it results in very amazing things like childbirth and stuff.

Gouge Away
Yeah, you’ve got it in one. It’s a story about Sampson and Delilah, you’re the first person that’s actually realised - probably because the song doesn’t actually mention Sampson or Delilah. It’s a sort of sex story: Delilah shows up as a secret spy of the Philistines and has an affair with Sampson. I don’t know what he was getting out of it. But enough sex and drugs and relaxation to give up his secrets. Maybe he loved her, I dunno. But they gouged his eyes out in the end.

If you really want to know, look in the Frank

Flashing_Eyes
- FB Fan -

46 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2004 :  20:05:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know its from NME magazine
Go to Top of Page

Sir Rockabye
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1158 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2004 :  20:16:12  Show Profile  Visit Sir Rockabye's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Are you sure? If I'm not mistaken, the information presented above is compiled from various sources, mostly different interviews. I could be wrong though.

I will never say the word procrastinate again, I'll never see myself in the mirror with my eyes closed.
Go to Top of Page

apl4eris
~ Abstract Brain ~

USA
4800 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2004 :  14:30:29  Show Profile  Visit apl4eris's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I believe (99.9999% sure) it was from an old NME. It's somewhere on this site, someone transcribed it all from their copy several months ago. Tried to find it but the search function blah blah blah...
Go to Top of Page

apl4eris
~ Abstract Brain ~

USA
4800 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2004 :  14:35:04  Show Profile  Visit apl4eris's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ah, here it is. It was in the archives. And it was benji that typed it up for us all -thanks again benji, wherever you are now! It's from NME , 1989.

"Doolittle song descriptions"

"i found an old new musical express (when it was still called this) article from 1989 where among other things, frank describes the origins of each of doolittles' tracks.
there are many of these kinda things complied around the net, but i have never seen these exact ones reproduced anywhere.

anyone interested if i type them up?"

Edited by - apl4eris on 12/17/2004 14:37:19
Go to Top of Page

dayanara
* Dog in the Sand *

Australia
1811 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2004 :  18:20:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks!

If you really want to know, look in the Frank
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2004 :  02:24:45  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I wish he could have done that for all pixies/fb records

"I joined the cult of Jon Tiven/Bye!"
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000