Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

scarred4life
- FB Fan -

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2004 :  07:54:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow... just wow :).

This concert was so much more than I let myself hope it would be. Somebody wrote in the thread about the UMass show that disclive sucks because the pixies come off a little weak on the recordings, but I don't blame disclive at all because there's simply no way you can capture that kind of intensity on a digital recording. Everything about the show was perfect, Kim & Charles' voices were perfectly in tune (except just one moment during the opener Winterlong where Kim's voice cracked at the "Come back now!" part, but it was cute and she got it back together immediately :)), the lighting effects were appropriately over-the-top, tacky, and hilarious, the chemistry between the band was great and they were acting goofy as ever (a stark contrast to the cold, distant vibe they displayed on the Brixton Academy video from 90 or 91). They did the first 2/3rds of the set in order from slowest-to-fastest, then brought everything to a halt and seemed to take a little breather with Caribou and Hey, but then went right into Planet Of Sound to get things rocking again. I'll give my best attempt at a complete set list (sorry, the order is probably off but I'll try to at least get all the songs in somewhere):

Winterlong
In Heaven (at the end they just stopped playing, no immediate segue into next song)
Wave of Mutilation (UK Surf)
Here Comes Your Man
Is She Weird?
Monkey Gone To Heaven (it's funny to watch the crowd during the last verse, you see a sea of arms holding up 5 fingers for the first part, then as soon as Charles says "Then the devil is SIX!!" then you see another sea of arms shoot up to display the added digit :))
Subbacultcha
Bone Machine
Cactus (Did anybody make out what Dave was spelling during the instrumental break? On the album, I know they spell "P-I-X-I-E-S", but I think it was something different this time)
No. 13 Baby (they kept playing that end part for a really long time, it was cool)
Gouge Away
UMass (everybody cheered when Charles said "University... of Massachusetts, please!" :))
Velouria
I Bleed
Debaser
Mr. Grieves
Nimrod's Son (slowed the second half WAAAAY down, even slower than most recordings I've heard)
Tame
Broken Face
Isla de Encanta (this is one of those songs that I didn't really appreciate until actually seeing it live, it rocks so much harder in person!)
Something Against You (all hell broke loose here, what a great song)
Caribou
Hey
Planet Of Sound
Wave Of Mutilation (fast version)
Vamos (fucking brilliant, Joey's such a rock star :) After he put his Les Paul down on the guitar stand, he took a picture of the crowd. He caught the drumstick Dave tossed him, and started pointing it at the guitar while using his foot to manipulate the pedals, like the stick was his magic wand. Dave did not catch the stick when Joey tossed it back, but that's okay.)
Ed Is Dead (During the little quiet part towards the end of the song, Charles changed the lyrics slightly: "Ed... is... dead... that is the name of this song: Ed... is... dead!" :))
Gigantic

During the end of Gigantic, while the band was still playing, Kim said "Thank you for coming to the show!" and Dave also (while still playing the drums) wished everybody a good night, very arena-rock :). Then they kept playing for a really long time, it looks like Kim was shooting looks at charles, like "why are we still playing?" Finally, they ended, and they put down their guitars and walked along the stage waving to everybody and saying goodbye, while meanwhile their guitars were being tuned. As soon as the guitars were done being tuned, they walked right back and picked them up, having never actually left the stage :). Then they played their ONE AND ONLY ENCORE which was an absolutely gorgeous rendition of Where Is My Mind. Then they left the stage and the house lights went on. And that was the end of the show.

Atheist4Catholics
= Cult of Ray =

USA
925 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2004 :  08:02:32  Show Profile  Visit Atheist4Catholics's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm glad I checked back before posting my topic. I was writing one exactly at the same time as this one.

Yes, another great night of rock. The sound was horrendous to the point of distortion and making it seem like the song was changing key, but it seemed to get mildly better as the set progressed. I had to leave during Nimrod about an hour into it because my wife had a migraine and you can guess how the flashing lights and thundering bass were making her feel. Looks like I only missed a couple songs. Great show though.

Was it just my area, or did the crowd suck last night especially compared to Amherst? There were a lot of assholes in my part of the floor. They would push through and stand literally right in front of you to the point where coitus was an option. I almost beat one guy up because he was continuously stepping on my wife's feet. She started blowing on people's necks and singing badly in their ears.

At one point, some short yuppie man came up next to me and lit up a joint. He took a puff, handed it to a stranger, and then disappeared. The stranger looked at the joint quizzically, decided "what the hey", took a puff and handed it to another stranger who repeated this process until some sap dropped it on the floor. Who are these idiots who consume drugs given to them by strangers? That joint could've been laced with any number of things or all of them combined. What a bunch of fucking tools.

It was nice to see Kim wearing the same shirt as last night. I like when people do that. I remember following the Posies on their acoustic tour and seeing them wear the same clothes night after night. They smelled pretty bad up close...

Here's the official setlist stolen from LowFatAlbob's post:

I'm pretty sure this was from last night...

For more information on rock, visit www.timfranklin.net

Edited by - Atheist4Catholics on 12/02/2004 08:06:56
Go to Top of Page

scarred4life
- FB Fan -

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2004 :  08:12:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, looks like they deviated quite a bit from the official setlist- there's no mention of Planet of Sound or Something Against You, and they brought Fast Wave and Gigantic into the main set and had Where Is my Mind as the encore. So even though they only gave us one encore, they actually ended up giving us 2 songs more than they had originally planned. I guess I forgive them :)

Sorry to hear you encountered some assholes in the crowd, my friends and I were in some seats to the left of the stage and that was pretty chill. As for the sound, it actually sounded pretty good to me. I know it's lame, but everybody should wear earplugs to shows, not only because it will protect your hearing but also because you can hear everything a lot more clearly. I thought the arena provided just the right amount of reverb without drowning everything out, and the vocals sounded beautiful.
Go to Top of Page

Jefery With One F
- FB Fan -

Canada
184 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2004 :  08:18:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So, was there just no mention of Disclive? They're apparently off the tour now and every date after Amherst was removed from their website. Previously, they had said that they were getting ready to record it and now nobody seems to know what's going on.
Go to Top of Page

mrgrieves1971
= Cult of Ray =

USA
544 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2004 :  09:06:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great show. I've seen the Pixies a bunch of times back in the day and made it to a couple of the Chicago shows, but it was really weird to see them playing an arena. My babys alls growns ups.

I don't know what it was that Dave spelled during Cactus. I know it ended in an L and Kim seemed amused. During the long ending of Gigantic, she kept asking Frank "Should I say something?" He was egging her on, finally Dave gave the big rock show good bye. I also thought it was interesting when Kim said hello to "Mr. John Murphy."

I noticed this at the Chicago show and they did it again last night. While taking their bows before the encore, Frank checks out Dave's wrist and hands. Last night it looked as if they were looking at his wrist and then addressing a blister on his thumb. It appeared to me that they made some gesture that Dave was able to do just one more song. maybe they were kidding around. Maybe Dave is having issues as far as blistering and joint pain. I guess it's a job hazard.
Go to Top of Page

Apesy
= Cult of Ray =

USA
411 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2004 :  19:54:39  Show Profile  Visit Apesy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Great show, but The Tsongas Arena blows. It really, really blows.

Their website said cameras were allowed. The tickets had no "no cameras" rule written on them. And I walked right through the pat down holding my digital camera in my hand, in plain sight.

So my girlfriend, her brother, his girlfriend, and I sat down in a spot right up in front of the stage. I took out my camera and snapped a photo of my girlfriend and then the stage, which I thought was awesome (those tree things). A minute or so later two (two) gigantic security guys approached me from the back; one of them kneeled down and rudely asked/told me, "Hey, is that a digital camera? Those aren't allowed." To which I told him the website, tickets, and pat down certainly led me to believe otherwise. His reply: "I really don't care about any of that. They aren't allowed. Only throw-aways."

At this point (having two security guys hovering over me and feeling I was being treated unfairly and rudely, despite my best efforts to prove my innocence) my social anxiety had taken over, and I screamed, "OKAY!" at him. To which he told me he was going to throw me out of there in two seconds and that he would "break my fucking neck" unless I took the camera out to my car.

So my girlfriend and I got up and left to take my oh-so-awful piece of equipment outside, with me hyperventilating and trying to calm down. And we get to the bottom of the stairs to the lobby and the arena exit, when suddenly a security woman stops us and says nobody is allowed to leave. Nobody is allowed to leave! What kind of nonsense is that? First a security person tells me to get out of there, and then one tells me I can't leave. But this woman was thankfully much nicer than the guy, and I explained my situation the best I could to her, and she got on her walkie talkie and got me "clearance" or whatever.

Later on during the show I was standing next to a guy who snapped about a million photos using his digital camera, and I couldn't believe the amount of camera phones I saw people holding up. Ridiculous...

-=Apesy
Go to Top of Page

scarred4life
- FB Fan -

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2004 :  08:06:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, my friends and I agreed that this was probably the most needlessly overzealous security we'd ever seen at a show (you'd think we were attending the Vibe awards or something). They got their cigarettes and lighters confiscated by some fat old man before they even made it to the actual arena, the pat down was pretty invasive, and I actually saw Kelley Deal and her entire film crew get thrown through a glass door by a burly, overzealous security guard! Okay, I made that last part up (I just lie to get attention ).
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000