FBF review - Umbrellamusic.com
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

seanunyon
- FB Fan -

Canada
64 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2004 :  06:40:29  Show Profile  Visit seanunyon's Homepage  Reply with Quote
http://umbrellamusic.com/cdreview.php?id=786

Frank Black Francis · Frank Black Francis
(Sonic Unyon - 2004)

As far as I can tell, Frank Black is kind of an institution, a religion of sorts for his many fans. I’ve discovered why: He plays good music.

I don’t know anything about Frank Black. There, I said it. If you’ve memorized the stage banter from every Pixies concert ever bootlegged, a review of Frank Black’s latest release, Frank Black Francis, by this rookie music critic will probably be nothing short of sacrilegious (to go back to my religion theme). You, oh most rabid of fans, need not fear however; I think each of the two CDs in this release is a superb listen, with the finest moments far outshining the occasional stumble.

Sometimes demos get released and there really isn’t much too them –only the most devoted fan is able to steal from it any musical enjoyment. Fortunately, that isn’t the case on the demo disc half this two disc set. Each song has its own unique life and FB’s vocals sound better here (see “Break my Body”) left all alone than they do on the Treated Disc. Having never heard the finished versions before these demos, I feel lucky to be experiencing great songs like “I’m Amazed” and “Build High” as they were in their infancy.

The Treated Disc, while there are a few more missteps compared to the demos, is still a solid listen. Stand out tracks include the trio of “The Holiday Song,” “Is She Weird,” and “Into the White,” grouped together near the end. I could have done without the updated versions of “Caribou” and “Subbacultcha," but I’m sure all the Frank Black-heads (possibly the worst groupie name ever?) are loving new spins on their various bible passages.

Alright, alright, at the end of it all, I have to admit, I am a Frank Black convert. This is good shit.

Demo Disc Rating: 8
Treated Disc Rating: 7

- David Russell

vilainde
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Niue
7441 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2004 :  06:47:06  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Pretty cool. I actually know someone (not the writer of this review) who doesn't like the Pixies and yet thought the demo CD was great. Don't know what he thinks of the 2nd disc however.

Denis

"I believe in your perfect face..."
Go to Top of Page

hWolsky
= Cult of Ray =

France
696 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2004 :  12:01:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The second Cd is one of the best thing he has ever done!!!!
Especially Planet of Sound!!!

I met a guy in a rover
I met a guy in a rover
I met a guy in a rover
I met a guy in a rover
I met a guy in a rover
I met a guy in a rover

HW
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly