The Columbus, Ohio Show Was...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

TheCroutonFuton
- Mr. Setlists -

USA
1728 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2004 :  12:20:10  Show Profile  Visit TheCroutonFuton's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Incredible (Minus "dancing" retards..)

Alright, so...Apl4eris, Spudboy, my girlfriend, and I all got together at around 6 o'clock or so. We went to The Claddagh which is a restaurant that serves, you guessed it, Irish food. I was surprised how well they got the Irish Pub look inside...Since it's right on the Polaris strip. Anyways, we decided to eat actual meals because we didn't care whether or not we saw The Thrills (who aren't so thrilling..). We got to the concert around 8 or 8:15...somewhere around there. We missed them! They were setting up for the Pixies..so that was perfect timing. So..after the roadies play some lame songs on Joey's goldtop and Charles' acoustic to test them the lights go off...

Everyone stands up and there's massive applause..Finally, after about 2 minutes of constant clapping and screaming the fab-four walk in very nonchalant. Big smiles on their faces...David is just digging it, he takes out his camera and takes a picture of the audience and points to someone and nods. Joey just walks over to his guitar and gets ready, Kim has a huge smile on her face while she puts on her bass, and Charles is smiling too! They look very happy soaking in the cheers. So, they kindof mess around and tune their guitars for a tiny bit and off goes kim into In Heaven. Joey comes in a couple of bars later..then about halfway through the song David and Charles come in. Joey was pretty awesome doing some cool riffs over the bass-line. HUGE applause as Charles breaks into Wave of Mutilation (UK Surf). Most of the people there actually recognized that song, I think...a shame, if you ask me. Anyways, pretty good rendition of the song, Charles was singing very nicely. Hmm...then they went into Winterlong, I think, and once again..not as much enthusiasm from the crowd. Okay - so...after Winterlong they start playing Nimrod's Son (fast version). Great energy eminating from that song, really good stuff. At the "break" in the middle of the song Charles plays the infamous Bm of Mr. Grieves. After the first chorus he stops and says, "This is usually as much as I play for this song..." or something along those lines..then keeps playing, they end the song and then Charles says something (too much cheering to hear), and they go into the slow version of Nimrod's Son. Best part of the night for me; really great combination.

Okay...they finish up their acoustic part of the set: Vamos was really early in the show, a really killer version of Ed is Dead where they're just jamming, Where is My Mind...where EVERYONE got into it, hmm..that's all I can remember right now..though I'm pretty sure it was more than that. The roadie brought in Charles' telecaster and they all tuned down their instruments to play Planet of Sound. Kim played it in the wrong key and after the song admitted it to the world. Great dialogue...couldn't hear a lot of it...but you could tell they were amused and having a good time. Umm...I think Isla de Encanta was next..into Debaser (again, everyone got into this song), the fucking Monkey song (wild cheers from the audience), Something Against You was really great, umm...several more. Couldn't tell you the complete set. The encore was a Jesus and Mary Chain song, hehe, and everyone filed out. I was kindof disapppointed in the only 1 song encore..but I guess their actual set was longer than most. I wish I could remember everything. Hopefully apl or spudboy will fill in the gaps..

Anyways..onto the part you've all been waiting for...the dancing retards. So, my first encounter with this dancing retard was when he came running down with a long piece of toilet paper. He was in the aisleway going completely fucking crazy. The toilet paper broke almost immediately..so he just picked up what was there and rolled it into a ball...and went crazy with that. Then he starts stripping and is soon topless dancing like he's having a seizure from the lights. Security FINALLY kicked his ass back to his seat....but this was a problem...his seat was right next to Apl! She has a kidney infection..and this asshole was just bonking her left and right with his "dancing." Spudboy noticed pretty soon and switched seats with her...but now he was getting assaulted by the punk. We really do think he was special, though...he had that look..Anyways, Perry (spudboy) is getting cold..he told us afterwards that he had a scheme to take the fucker down and stand on his head in the middle of the show. He was just waiting for the kid to run into his elbow, haha. Umm...at the end of the show, though, the retard just thanked someone to his right and literally ran out into the night...Spudboy says that without the retard the show ranks in the top 5 ever for him. With the retard...top 20. I can definitely understand that.

They wouldn't allow any "cameras or audio-devices" into the show...so no pictures, unfortunately. We could have brought something in, though, security wasn't tight at all..Too bad. Umm...after the show the 4 of us went to the midnight cafe place that was mentioned in another Columbus thread...had something to drink...umm...hmm..then we went home. Great time.

As soon as I finally wake up I'll try to remember the entire set and post it..

In Heaven (Kim sings)
Wave of Mutilation (UK Surf)
Winterlong
Nimrod's Son (first half)
Mr. Grieves
Nimrod's Son (second half, slower)
Vamos
Where Is My Mind?
Holiday Song
Ed is Dead
Here Comes Your Man
Planet of Sound
Cactus
Caribou
Gigantic
Crackity Jones
Isla de Encanta
Something Against You
Hey
Bone Machine
Gouge Away
Tame
Debaser
Monkey Gone to Heaven
Velouria
U-Mass
Head On

(Whee! This was posted in the setlist thread!)

"Freedom is a state of mind and the condition and position of your ass. Free your mind and your ass will follow." - Funkadelic

Edited by - TheCroutonFuton on 10/05/2004 12:25:38

KimStanleyRobinson
* Dog in the Sand *

1972 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2004 :  11:24:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry we missed you guys.

We were at the Midnight cafe place prior to the show and Skully's afterwards.
The Cafe was really cool - the Maudite beer was tops.
Skully's was fun - met and hung with a couple of gothish girls before hitting the road.

The show was great. Gouge and Velouria were highlights for me.

and she said "What? In these shoes?! No, lets do it here."
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
6012 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2004 :  13:17:06  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
sorry I didn't read good
but was this a seated show?

"I joined the Cult of Serge/'Cause he invented indierock before Frank did"
Go to Top of Page

KimStanleyRobinson
* Dog in the Sand *

1972 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2004 :  14:31:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, there were seats...

and she said "What? In these shoes?! No, lets do it here."
Go to Top of Page

Jefery With One F
- FB Fan -

Canada
184 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2004 :  16:01:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good to see Head On back in the rotation. It's my wife's favourite Pixies song and the possibility of seeing them play it live was what convinced her to let me see them again this fall. So, if any of you talk to any of the band, feel free to put in a good word for Head On in Gatineau, or I'm going to be in trouble.

Vote Bush in 2004
Go to Top of Page

Daisy Girl
~ Abstract Brain ~

Belize
5305 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2004 :  19:52:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow Crouton, you da man. That was an awesome post... very vivid. Sorry about that really annoying dude. Sounds like he was on something. That is not cool. Anyway thanks for all the cool detalis and everything.

Apl... I hope you feel better sweetie! Please take care of yourself and get lots of rest and drink plenty of h2o. Feel better soon

Edited by - Daisy Girl on 10/06/2004 19:53:10
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000