Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Frank Black Chat
 General Frank Black Chat
 Frank Black & The International Songwriting Comp.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

TommySupport
- FB Fan -

3 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2006 :  08:23:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello All!

It has caught my attention that you are all friends and fans of the incredible Frank Black of The Pixies. It seems he has influenced us all with his music. Our beloved Mr. Black has taken his influence a step further and will now be one of the many star judges for the 2006 International Songwriting Competition (ISC). This will be Frank Black’s first year as one of the premiere judges. For those who don’t know, ISC is a competition for passionate musicians around the globe. ISC is open to musicians, artists, and songwriters at every level from amateur to professional. Anyone with a passion for music, talent and of course… a song may enter the competition. Imagine… This is your unprecedented chance to have the legendary Frank Black listen to your music! The 2006 International Songwriting Competition (ISC) is now accepting submissions!

ISC has added two new categories this year, expanded its number of judges, and increased its overall prize package to over $150,000 in cash and prizes including an Overall Grand Prize package of $25,000 (US) in cash and over $20,000 in merchandise, unmatched by any other songwriting competition. ISC continues its commitment toward helping songwriters and artists further their careers by helping them gain exposure and have their songs heard by the music industry’s top professionals. It is truly an unparalleled opportunity, but if you still need more convincing check out our latest review on Pitchfork.

Since its inception, ISC has become internationally renowned for having the most prestigious judging panel of any songwriting competition in the world.

2006 ISC judges include: Tom Waits; Brian Wilson; Sean Paul; Charlie Walk (President, Epic Records); Monte Lipman (President, Universal Records); Mona Scott-Young (President, Violator Records); Jerry Lee Lewis; Cassandra Wilson; Robert Smith (The Cure); Craig Morgan; Rosanne Cash; John Mayall; Isaac Brock (Modest Mouse); John Scofield; Mark Chesnutt; Amy Ray (Indigo Girls); Darryl McDaniels (Run DMC); MercyMe; Macy Gray; Tiësto; Peter Hook (New Order); Frank Black (Pixies); Jeff Stinco (Simple Plan); Medeski Martin & Wood; Charlie Musselwhite; Blue Man Group; Steve Lillywhite (Senior VP A&R/Producer, Columbia Records – credits include U2, Rolling Stones, Peter Gabriel, etc.); Angel Carrasco (President, Discos 605/Sr. VP A&R Sony/BMG Latin America; Larry Willoughby (VP A&R, Capitol Records, Nashville); Alexandra Patsavas (Owner, The Chop Shop Music Supervision - credits include The OC, Grey's Anatomy, Without A Trace, Carnivale, Rescue Me); Barbara Sedun (VP Creative, EMI Music Publishing Canada); Bruce Iglauer (Founder/President, Alligator Records); Cameron Strang (President, New West Records); Cory Robbins (Founder/President, Robbins Entertainment); Dan Storper (President, Putumayo World Music); Thomas Brooman (Co-Founder/Artistic Director, WOMAD); Danny Epstein (Music Supervisor, Sesame Street/Sesame Workshop); Tara Griggs-Magee (Executive VP Gospel/Urban Music, Sony Records); Emily Wittmann (Vice-President, Nick Records); Leib Ostrow (CEO, Music For Little People); Betty Pino (DJ, WAMR and pioneer of Latin musc radio); and Manolo Gonzales (Senior VP, Regional Mexican A&R and National Promotion, Univision Records).

The International Songwriting Competition website is www.songwritingcompetition.com. Please feel free to browse around! Again, ISC is now accepting submissions so spread the word. We appreciate your help in getting the word out about the competition to musicians and artists in your reach, and thank you in advance. Please feel free to contact me should you need additional information or have any questions about the competition.

Hope to hear you soon,
Tom Russo

International Songwriting Competition
1307 Eastland Ave
Nashville, TN 37206
Phone: 615.251.4441
Fax: 615.251.4442
www.songwritingcompetition.com

starmekitten
-= Forum Pistolera =-

United Kingdom
6370 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2006 :  08:29:08  Show Profile  Visit starmekitten's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for sharing this but please don't double post threads.
Go to Top of Page

Joey Joe Jo Jr. Chabadoo
* Dog in the Sand *

1062 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2006 :  16:04:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the link doesn't work!!

++++
Go to Top of Page

Joey Joe Jo Jr. Chabadoo
* Dog in the Sand *

1062 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2006 :  16:06:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I mean it does... sort of.

++++
Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2007 :  13:42:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/article/news/38127/Brian_Wilson_Tom_Waits_Judge_Your_Music

Not to mention that the legendary artists listed above, plus Frank Black, Sean Paul, New
Order's Peter Hook, Run DMC's Darryl McDaniels, Jerry Lee frickin' Lewis, and a slew of
others (full list after the jump), including an avalanche of music industry execs, will listen to
your work. Sheesh, talk about the chance of a lifetime.

Robert Smith (The Cure); Brian Wilson; Sean Paul; Tom Waits; Jerry Lee Lewis; Isaac
Brock (Modest Mouse); Frank Black (Pixies); MercyMe; Jeff Stinco (Simple Plan); Amy Ray
(Indigo Girls); Rosanne Cash; John Mayall; Charlie Musselwhite; Darryl McDaniels (Run
DMC); Macy Gray; Craig Morgan; Mark Chesnutt; Blue Man Group; Medeski Martin &
Wood; John Scofield; Cassandra Wilson; Peter Hook (New Order); and Tiësto.

http://harpmagazine.com/news/detail.cfm?article=10862

International Songwriting
Competition Announces
Finalists; Judges Include
Brian Wilson, Tom Waits,
Frank Black, Isaac Brock

Brian Wilson; Tom Waits; Rosanne Cash; Sean Paul; Mark Chesnutt; Jerry
Lee Lewis; Frank Black (Pixies); Robert Smith (The Cure); Cassandra
Wilson; Isaac Brock (Modest Mouse); Medeski Martin & Wood; Craig Morgan;
John Mayall; John Scofield; Amy Ray (Indigo Girls); Darryl McDaniels (Run
DMC); MercyMe; Macy Gray; Charlie Musselwhite; Peter Hook (New Order);
Blue Man Group; Tiesto; and Jeff Stinco (Simple Plan)

http://www.prweb.com/releases/2007/2/prweb502129.htm

The complete panel of 2006 judges include: Brian Wilson; Tom Waits; Rosanne Cash; Sean Paul; Mark Chesnutt; Jerry Lee Lewis; Frank Black
(Pixies); Robert Smith (The Cure); Cassandra Wilson; Isaac Brock (Modest Mouse); Medeski Martin & Wood; Craig Morgan; John Mayall; John
Scofield; Amy Ray (Indigo Girls); Darryl McDaniels (Run DMC); MercyMe; Macy Gray; Charlie Musselwhite; Peter Hook (New Order); Blue Man
Group; Tiesto; and Jeff Stinco (Simple Plan); Charlie Walk (President, Epic Records); Monte Lipman (President, Universal Records); Mona Scott-
Young (President, Violator Records); Cameron Strang (President, New West Records); Steve Lillywhite (Sr. VP A&R, Columbia Records and
Producer - credits include U2, The Rolling Stones, Dave Matthews Band, Phish, Peter Gabriel, and more); Alexandra Patsavas (Owner, The Chop
Shop Music Supervision - credits include The OC, Grey's Anatomy, Without A Trace, Carnivale, Rescue Me); Barbara Sedun (VP Creative, EMI
Music Publishing Canada); Bruce Iglauer (Founder/President, Alligator Records); Cory Robbins (Founder/President, Robbins Entertainment);
Betty Pino (DJ, WAMR Miami, pioneer of Latin radio); Angel Carrasco (President, 605 Discos and Sr. VP A&R, Sony BMG Latin America); Thomas
Brooman (Co-Founder/Artistic Director, WOMAD); Dan Storper (President, Putumayo World Music); Danny Epstein (Music Supervisor, Sesame
Street/Sesame Workshop); Tara Griggs-Magee (Executive VP Gospel/Urban Music, Sony Records); Emily Wittmann (VP, Nick Records); Leib
Ostrow (CEO, Music For Little People); Larry Willoughby (VP A&R, Capitol Records Nashville) and Manolo Gonzalez (Sr VP Regional Mexican A&R
and National Promotion, Univision Records)

Same thing here:

http://top40-charts.com/news.php?nid=30304

And here:

http://www.emediawire.com/releases/2007/2/emw502129.htm

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,,21524299-28957,00.html

Winning System

April 08, 2007 12:00am

FROM rocking the Grand Prix Traction party and supporting
Robbie Williams on his tour Down Under, Aussie dance act
Sneaky Sound System (below) can add an international
songwriting credit to their accolades.

The group's catchy tune Pictures came second in the
Dance/Electronica category of the recent International
Songwriting Competition.

The comp received almost 15,000 entries from 88 countries.
Judges included Robert Smith (The Cure), Peter Hook (New
Order), Tom Waits, Brian Wilson (Beach Boys) and Frank Black
(Pixies).

Not a bad effort.

Edited by - Carl on 04/08/2007 07:28:35
Go to Top of Page

Daisy Girl
~ Abstract Brain ~

Belize
5305 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2007 :  15:43:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I lost :( Any other loosers or winners here?

Edited by - Daisy Girl on 02/06/2007 19:25:19
Go to Top of Page

coastline
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
3111 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2007 :  08:13:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I bet your song was better than that crappy one that won, Daisy. You should post it here.

Please pardon me, for these my wrongs.
Go to Top of Page

darwin
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

USA
5448 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2007 :  09:00:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's losers; not loosers.
Go to Top of Page

PixieSteve
> Teenager of the Year <

Poland
4698 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2007 :  09:16:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yeah, no one's looser than you daisy

"After coming into contact with a religious man I always feel I must wash my hands." - Friedrich Nietzsche
Go to Top of Page

Ziggy
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
2433 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2007 :  12:50:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Banter, it's banter.

But yes, Daisy, do post it!
Go to Top of Page

coastline
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
3111 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2007 :  21:05:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Love it, K, especially hearing you read them. And I really like the Dylan references in the first one. Nice touch.

Please pardon me, for these my wrongs.
Go to Top of Page

endofmiles
- FB Fan -

Switzerland
69 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2007 :  15:28:29  Show Profile  Click to see endofmiles's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I like it. Are you planning to write some musik with it?

Keep on going Daisy:-)
Go to Top of Page

rockmusic84
= Cult of Ray =

USA
256 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2007 :  15:35:46  Show Profile  Visit rockmusic84's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I like these!!!

I'm sending you a friend request on myspace NOW!!!

Join The Cult of U-MASS - IT'S EDUCATIONAL!!!
Go to Top of Page

Daisy Girl
~ Abstract Brain ~

Belize
5305 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2007 :  16:12:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks so much guys for the feedback. :) I wish I knew how to write music to it but although I am a HUGE fan of music, I have no musical talent.

bluefinger
Go to Top of Page

endofmiles
- FB Fan -

Switzerland
69 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2007 :  06:01:39  Show Profile  Click to see endofmiles's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hey Daisy,

This make me think about many good songwriters, like Frank. He writes the music first and than the lyrics, saying he doesn't like to write the lyrics..some kind of homework (and we all know how deep he can go). So perhaps making the music, or adding sounds, is your homework ;-).
Don't get me wrong, I like the way you've done it. Some very strong images. Are you working on something new?
Thanks again for sharing this
Peace
Go to Top of Page

Daisy Girl
~ Abstract Brain ~

Belize
5305 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2007 :  14:48:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks again endofmiles. your comments mean so much! my husband has some musical instruments, so maybe I will try working on it. i can't say it will work, but it is worth trying.

bluefinger
Go to Top of Page

PixieSteve
> Teenager of the Year <

Poland
4698 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2007 :  17:05:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
does he play them or does he hang them up for decoration?

ask him to teach you one.

"After coming into contact with a religious man I always feel I must wash my hands." - Friedrich Nietzsche
Go to Top of Page

Daisy Girl
~ Abstract Brain ~

Belize
5305 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2007 :  18:11:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
they are decoration. he always thought he would teach himself but never did.

I guess I can try to teach myself with the goal of creating something so bad that it sounds good type of aesthetic.

bluefinger
Go to Top of Page

endofmiles
- FB Fan -

Switzerland
69 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2007 :  18:42:22  Show Profile  Click to see endofmiles's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Daisy Girl

Thanks again endofmiles. your comments mean so much! my husband has some musical instruments, so maybe I will try working on it. i can't say it will work, but it is worth trying.

bluefinger

You're welcome Daisy.
If only I'had something to post like you did- I'm trying, I'm trying. But hey! A band is like "groing" with one of my old band mates from the "Psylos". I'm sure that nobody has heard of them..
Go to Top of Page

blue cadet3
- FB Fan -

USA
146 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2007 :  00:11:07  Show Profile  Visit blue cadet3's Homepage  Reply with Quote
my band, the cut*off, also lost in the rock category. Daisy Girl, I'm digging the lyrics. It would be a peach to hear some music with those.

You can hear our loser song called "Porcelain" on our myspace.

http://www.myspace.com/thecutoff

-I want to be your Kingpin-
Go to Top of Page

Daisy Girl
~ Abstract Brain ~

Belize
5305 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2007 :  19:39:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you guys... I am starting a new topic on this thread because I think there is more artistic stuff that can happen. I love your band blue cadet3.

I want to hear your stuff too, end of miles. Link to the new thread will be posted in a minute...

bluefinger
Go to Top of Page

Daisy Girl
~ Abstract Brain ~

Belize
5305 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2007 :  19:46:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I thought this thread might be a good place to take this convo...http://forum.frankblack.net/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=18123

see you there.

(mods feel free to lock)

bluefinger

Edited by - Daisy Girl on 04/16/2007 19:47:23
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000