Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mdisanto
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1140 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2003 :  08:09:24  Show Profile  Visit mdisanto's Homepage
i guess we didnt hurt their feelings with our uproar over their album reviews

article:

Pixies To Open For Red Hot Chili Peppers?
Gouge it away, gouge it away, gouge it away now
[Posted Tuesday, December 9th, 2003 06:00:00 Pitchfork Central Time]

Will Bryant reports:
The internet-bred rumor that the reformed Pixies are to open for the Red Hot Chili Peppers in Paris next June is false, according to a report from French-language music site MCM.net. Although the Chili Peppers have indeed booked a June 15th, 2004 gig at the 50,000-seat stadium Parc des Princes (with tickets on sale next week), a spokesperson for the group has apparently denied that the Pixies are set to open the show.

The Red Hot Chili Peppers tip is just one of several unconfirmed Pixies booking rumors which would have the influential quartet playing, variously, the 2003 editions of the Eurockéennes festival in France, the Witnness Festival in Ireland, and next May's Coachella festival in Indio, CA. The Coachella rumor is at least backed up by comments from Radiohead's Thom Yorke in Urb that both Radiohead and the Pixies are being actively courted for next year's fest. Hell, there had even been a rumor that the Pixies were to secretly reform tonight to open for David Bowie at Boston's FleetCenter (we can quash that one for you as well: Bowie has had to reschedule this week's Boston and Philly gigs due to a bout with the flu).

Although Pitchfork has heard other unofficial speculation regarding the whens and wheres of a pending Pixies reunion, the most reliable information is still the original announcement from an unidentified "spokesman" for the band who told MTV the original lineup of the group would be reuniting for some tour dates in April 2004. You can make what you want of the fact that the reunion was announced precisely one day prior to the release of Frank Black's latest opus, Show Me Your Tears.

And speaking of Frank Black, fansite Frankblack.net has just announced that SpinART has just released an exclusive Frank Black and the Catholics EP on iTunes. The untitled EP includes four previously unreleased songs including the discarded title track from Show Me Your Tears. Tracklist:

01 Don't Clip Your Wings
02 A Dab'll Do Ya
03 Preacher's Daughter
04 Show Me Your Tears

The Pixies' 4AD catalog is still on track for U.S. reissue in May 2004. This will include Come On Pilgrim and Surfer Rosa (still on separate discs domestic stylee), Doolittle, Bossanova, Trompe le Monde, Pixies at the BBC and the never-released-domestically Complete 'B' Sides. Advance word is that neither the packaging nor the content will be substantially different on the reissues (i.e., no remastering and no bonus tracks).

4AD is also prepping a Pixies DVD for an early 2004 release which is reported to contain all eight of the Pixies' videos (that's "Monkey Gone To Heaven," "Here Comes Your Man," "Dig For Fire/Allison," "Velouria," "Debaser," "Head On," and "Alec Eiffel") as well as an entire live gig filmed at London's Town and Country in 1988.

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/news/03-12/09.shtml

-miked

Edited by - mdisanto on 12/09/2003 08:10:25

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2003 :  08:33:06  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage
Heh, now if we could just get them to announce our completed Pixies tribute at Christmas time...

Maybe I'll play the Steve West card (thanks for getting him aboard LBF). Or, if the truth doesn't work, I could start a rumour that Kim played bass on one of the tracks. :)

Thanks for picking that up, Mike.

"Join the Cult of Frank / And you'll be enlightened"
Go to Top of Page

Dave Noisy
Minister of Chaos

Canada
4496 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2003 :  11:16:31  Show Profile  Visit Dave Noisy's Homepage
heh - that'd be awesome if they covered it!

Really cool to see we're at the forefront of the iTunes announcement tho - woot!!
Go to Top of Page

mdisanto
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1140 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2003 :  12:45:45  Show Profile  Visit mdisanto's Homepage
haha it took them like a week or two to even cover SMYT, theres no way theyd touch the tribute album hahaha, itd defintily be cool though. id love to see the grand metaphor/irrelevant dialogue theyd use to criticize me if i happen to make it on the disc

-miked
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2003 :  13:07:34  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage
Heh, yeah, I could just imagine some of the things they'd say about the first one. I don't expect they'd ever review it, but it'd be cool to see it in the news page. Still, somebody should write up a fake Pitchfork-esque review of You Ain't Me. That would be hilarious.

I'm still waiting for them to pick up the story about Frank being banned from fb.net. :)

Go to Top of Page

El Barto
= Song DB Master =

USA
4020 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2003 :  14:54:58  Show Profile  Visit El Barto's Homepage
That's funny...hello, Pitchfork!

"I joined the Cult of Clops / If I were you, I'd sleep with one eye open."
Go to Top of Page

Dave Noisy
Minister of Chaos

Canada
4496 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2003 :  15:20:48  Show Profile  Visit Dave Noisy's Homepage
And there they go again, they always gotta mention the Pixies when they mention FB..

<sigh>

(heh)
Go to Top of Page

PixieSteve
> Teenager of the Year <

Poland
4698 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2003 :  10:07:19  Show Profile
this time it was more like gotta mention frank black if you mention the pixies. cool!
Go to Top of Page

Sheamus
= Cult of Ray =

Australia
345 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2004 :  04:59:16  Show Profile  Visit Sheamus's Homepage  Click to see Sheamus's MSN Messenger address
I played a song from Hey at a club the other night.

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2004 :  06:31:46  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage
How'd it go over? I presume it was Debaser (I think it was you that said you were going to do that)?

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000