New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Itchload
= Cult of Ray =

USA
891 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2002 :  22:08:57  Show Profile
I think we can all agree on how great Gouge Away is. It's one of the few pop songs I could label "perfect". With that in mind, its perfection has also lent to various artists covering it. I've done some researching and here are my reviews on the different interpretations of the song.

The Pixies Doolittle version: goddess, A+
Frank Black and the Catholics version: Expanding the pallette a bit, awesome, A

now..when it gets a bit interesting.

Candystruck: this is on a tribute, whiny, fast paced, heinous, "emo", some decent guitars: F

The Promise Ring: "Where is My Mind" tribute: They maintain the same tempo as the Doolittle version, pretty much the same musical background, so it's all in the guy's vocals. Nasally, can't sing the "missy aggravation!" part at all. D-

Papa Roach: F, well that was obvious

Hayden: Acoustic version, gutsy. Again, the guy cannot sing the chorus part, sounds like a bad Sebadoh imitation. F+

Bethany Curve: (Pixies fuckin' die tribute?) interesting, atmospheric, kind of goth-type band actually give the song their own twist, although they get rid of the dynamic...uh..B

Anyone know another Gouge Cover? I think Letters to Cleo did one, but I haven't heard it.

wepeel
- FB Fan -

USA
86 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2002 :  17:37:14  Show Profile  Visit wepeel's Homepage  Click to see wepeel's MSN Messenger address
ahhh... papa roach?!

=wepeel
Go to Top of Page

Chip Away Boy
= Cult of Ray =

914 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2002 :  18:34:26  Show Profile
yeah that papa roach one sucks
Go to Top of Page

Malax
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1340 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2002 :  10:56:05  Show Profile
I thought Papa Roaches was pretty damn similar to the original. So depending on wether you are one of these people that disregards covers if they arent a little different. Not wanting to start an argument but an F for their version is very harsh and Im assuming its got something to do with it being uncool to like anything by Papa Roach, dont get me wrong I dont own any albums or anything, but saying that its shit because its Papa Roach is pretty damn closed minded.
Go to Top of Page

El Barto
= Song DB Master =

USA
4020 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2002 :  15:10:30  Show Profile  Visit El Barto's Homepage
I really don't like Papa Roach's music (Last Resort = one of the worst songs ever...the video is great tho because they TRY to look tough), but I gotta say their cover is A-OK. They stayed true to the original, which makes for a good cover in my opinion.
Go to Top of Page

mdisanto
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1140 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2002 :  12:21:15  Show Profile  Visit mdisanto's Homepage
i think the get up kids cover of alec eiffel is awesome (sorry iguess this is slightly unrelated). but its definitly the best pixies cover ive heard.

-miked
Go to Top of Page

The Holiday Son
= Quote Accumulator =

France
1995 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2002 :  15:04:23  Show Profile  Visit The Holiday Son's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by mdisanto

i think the get up kids cover of alec eiffel is awesome (sorry iguess this is slightly unrelated). but its definitly the best pixies cover ive heard.

-miked

The Japanese Cover Album is excellent, especially Dead (tough absolutly unrecognizable) and Alec Eiffel.

Has someone heard them ?

more info there: http://www.epinions.com/content_46116867716

The Nada Surf version of Where is my mind? is nice too.
But of course, the best "cover" is definitely Motherbanger !!

ps: The cover of Superabound that was linked somewhere on this board is Brilliant. One of my friend even labelled it "best cover of all time" !
Go to Top of Page

Itchload
= Cult of Ray =

USA
891 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2002 :  23:37:16  Show Profile
I was being overly harsh as sort of a joke, it's fun giving something bad an F even if maybe it deserves a D. And honestly, isn't "staying true to the original" a epheumism for "not having any good reason to cover it in the first place." In my opinion, if you cover a song in concert, feel free to make it sound just like the original, it's all in good fun. But if you're going to release it on record, you should have some ideas of how to make it your own, otherwise, why not just listen to the original?
Go to Top of Page

Malax
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1340 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2003 :  05:05:45  Show Profile
On a slightly unrelated matter I recently heard that the band Finch play Where Is My Mind Live? Wether this is true I dunno. My friends often lie.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000