Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Frank Black Chat
 General Frank Black Chat
 I want a Frank Black and the Catholics Reunion!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jonathan
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
114 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2004 :  00:35:28  Show Profile  Visit jonathan's Homepage
years ago i used to post on the board of another band under the handle 'I want a Pixies Reunion', now I'm very much regretting that. I'm not saying Frank saw the name and was touched in his soul and decided to reform for old Pixies for that reason alone (I think more likely it was the $$$) but the Pixies were particularly special because they were defunct. particularly as someone young enough to come to them after the event there was never the chance for a new album to disappoint or a new song to suck because they'd done everything they were going to it was perfect as it was.

very glad they're not recording new material, but still, I think this reunion may prove kinda sad, so many 'new' Pixies fans within the last few weeks... so much less magic. maybe if tickets to the reunion tour had just been made available to people with ticket stubs from Catholics gigs... but hey, better still, let's, very very soon, have the Catholics reunite, and get the creativity flowing again. the Pixies have had their day, and yes it'll be nice to see them, but I'd rather have Rich and Scott and Dave and Dave up front on stage.

http://listen.to/blackmarias - the second best band in the world, ever!

Mickey
- FB Fan -

USA
207 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2004 :  00:56:08  Show Profile  Visit Mickey's Homepage
they don't need to have a reunion. They havn't broken up.

-Mickey
Go to Top of Page

jonathan
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
114 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2004 :  01:03:08  Show Profile  Visit jonathan's Homepage
the Pixies hadn't broken up until Frank mentioned it on the radio, they still hadn't done anything in a while by that point.

Treat yourself - http://listen.to/blackmarias - the best new band in the world.
Go to Top of Page

Valhalla
- FB Fan -

Germany
80 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2004 :  02:05:08  Show Profile
Jonathan, I totally agree with you. I think a compromise could be that Joey Santiago plays together with the Catholics in the future.
Kim Deal should better continue making music with her Breeders.
I really don't like this Pixies reunion. I often read that fans say "I always loved the Pixies, but I never cared about Frank Black's solo music". This makes me angry and I really hope that Frank Black and the Catholics will "reunite" soon.

"You take the moon / I'll take the sun..."
Go to Top of Page

NimrodsSon
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1938 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2004 :  06:24:34  Show Profile
I agree. I want a Catholics "reunion" too!!

ˇViva los Católicos!
Go to Top of Page

ramona
"FB Quote Mistress"

USA
3988 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2004 :  08:02:39  Show Profile  Visit ramona's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by jonathan

the Pixies hadn't broken up until Frank mentioned it on the radio, they still hadn't done anything in a while by that point.

Well, the Catholics released an album in September and toured Europe through the beginning of December. Since when does two months equal 'a while'?

This topic makes me anxious cause I love the Catholics - I am not considering the need for a "reunion" until someone tells me something tragic has occurred. Peace out.

"Music does not drag me down. Music lifts me up." - Frank Black
Go to Top of Page

El Barto
= Song DB Master =

USA
4020 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2004 :  08:39:52  Show Profile  Visit El Barto's Homepage
I have an empty void in my heart, and that void can only be filled by the music FB&TC create.

OK, so maybe I'm being overly dramatic...but shit man, I want some new Catholics material and a tour!

"Join the Cult of Brit / And let your oral hygiene go out the window."
Go to Top of Page

martha_promise
= Cult of Ray =

USA
398 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2004 :  10:21:27  Show Profile
Yes, I also am greatly anticipating a new FB&TC album & tour. The Pixies reuniting for a tour is pretty irrelevant for myself. I might go to a show if I get the chance but am really kind of just looking forward to it being over with...so Frank can get back to the Catholics.

~~Polly-ann drove steel like a man~~
Go to Top of Page

IceCream
= Quote Accumulator =

USA
1850 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2004 :  10:23:04  Show Profile  Visit IceCream's Homepage
I would love it if Frank were to play a show at the Irving Plaza again.
Go to Top of Page

Dave Noisy
Minister of Chaos

Canada
4496 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2004 :  19:16:34  Show Profile  Visit Dave Noisy's Homepage
Patience my friends.

Join the Cult of the Flying Pigxies - I'm A Believer!
Go to Top of Page

holidaysong
- FB Fan -

Ireland
164 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2004 :  20:06:01  Show Profile
Slightly off topic but is there any particular reason why they are called the Catholics anyway? Maybe an appropriate name (all be it slightly dangerous) for a band from northern ireland...
Go to Top of Page

jonathan
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
114 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2004 :  04:26:32  Show Profile  Visit jonathan's Homepage
a few people are somewhat mis-understanding my use of 'reunion', but never mind. in essence, while it'll be nice to see the pixies i'd rather have new material from the man, and played with the catholics. i don't mean to take the music snob view that the catholics are better cause no one knows them, but i do expect the atmosphere of pixies gigs to not be so nice and i'm already meeting so many pixies fans who never were until a few days ago, it's strange, where they're all coming from, not my kinda thing. so i'll be looking forward to the catholics 'reuniting' i.e. the passing fo this pixies fad. actually, i really wouldn't mind seeing the boys minus frank in the mean time - could be interesting....

Treat yourself - http://listen.to/blackmarias - the best new band in the world.
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
5999 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2004 :  05:04:19  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address
Ohh come on!

Pixies do a tour and are dead and gone
Catholics will be around forever after that

"I joined the Cult of Frank/Nobody wanted to join my Culf"
Go to Top of Page

realmeanmotorscutor
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1764 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2004 :  11:20:20  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by billgoodman

Ohh come on!

Let us pray.

"I joined the Cult of Popeye / The CoF required my good eye"
Go to Top of Page

IceCream
= Quote Accumulator =

USA
1850 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2004 :  12:23:28  Show Profile  Visit IceCream's Homepage
amen
Go to Top of Page

Jayhawk
- FB Fan -

80 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2004 :  15:17:01  Show Profile
I'm ok with the reunion, but I'm more excited for the next FB&TC record/tour. If the Pixies come to my neck of the woods I'll surely go see them because the Pixies are a fine band. I just happen to think his current band is far superior.
Go to Top of Page

Cheeseman1000

Iceland
8201 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2004 :  15:29:07  Show Profile  Visit Cheeseman1000's Homepage
As far as I'm aware, there's no current plans to do anything other than some shows (correct me if I'm wrong). I hope it doesn't go any further than this, for reasons already stated. It'd be a travesty if the Catholics had to go their separate ways, they produced such an excellent body of work, and I think Frank's (already formidable) songwriting skills were still developing in that direction.
So a bit of nostalgia is fine, but in all the Pixies' cases, I hope their current projects don't dissolve.

Not that the last Breeders album was much more than a glorified solo project, but thats a different story...

"I joined the Cult Of Strachan/Cos Hoddle just ain't right!"
Go to Top of Page

bumblebeeboy2
> Teenager of the Year <

United Kingdom
2638 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2004 :  15:59:44  Show Profile  Click to see bumblebeeboy2's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by Cheeseman1000

As far as I'm aware, there's no current plans to do anything other than some shows (correct me if I'm wrong). I hope it doesn't go any further than this, for reasons already stated. It'd be a travesty if the Catholics had to go their separate ways, they produced such an excellent body of work, and I think Frank's (already formidable) songwriting skills were still developing in that direction.
So a bit of nostalgia is fine, but in all the Pixies' cases, I hope their current projects don't dissolve.

Not that the last Breeders album was much more than a glorified solo project, but thats a different story...

i am a bit worried, with the whole pixies 'project' at the moment, and the frank black francis album... seems like frank has enough for a little while to keep himself occupied, and could this all mean he's going to go back to just frank black? i'd actually think it'd be quite interesting...

--
"Just let her go into the darkness, let her learn from all the things there, let her go into the darkness, let her go, let her go, let her go... <guitar solo>" - Mr. Jonathan Richman I salute you.
Go to Top of Page

Cheeseman1000

Iceland
8201 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2004 :  16:09:35  Show Profile  Visit Cheeseman1000's Homepage
Maybe he should invent some new persona, like, um...
Ooh, ooh, Franco Negro was a good one from a while back.

Go to Top of Page

VoVat

USA
9168 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2004 :  17:00:33  Show Profile  Visit VoVat's Homepage  Click to see VoVat's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Let us pray.

And lead us not into Pixiedom, but deliver us to Catholicism.

-Nathan
And how does lemur's skin reflect the sea?
http://vovat.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

benji
> Teenager of the Year <

New Zealand
3420 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2004 :  04:47:27  Show Profile  Visit benji's Homepage
i don't think the catholics will be silent for any more than a year.
granted, thats a long time for them, but maybe they'll do some side project stuff which could be very interesting...

i think this reunion is just a chance to make some serious cash and then go back to what they were doing before, but with more money to play with.

"I joined the Cult of Frank / I think that man deserves a DB!"
Go to Top of Page

mishkabunny
- FB Fan -

23 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2004 :  07:57:43  Show Profile
i think all the catholics have other projects on the go, i know rich gilbert plays with tanya donelly, and apparently with the velvet swingers.

but i'd welcome a new tour so i could drool over rich , they were great when they played in bristol, and show me your tears has been playing on my cd player in an almost constant loop for months now (interspersed with kristin hersh's 'sunny border blue', and a few others)

be a star
Go to Top of Page

The Calistanian
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1342 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2004 :  13:36:03  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by billgoodman

Ohh come on!

"I joined the Cult of Frank/Nobody wanted to join my Culf"

I have to agree this will be the case.
I've mentioned this on another thread, but who would you rather have as a bass player: Kim Deal or Dave McCaffery. Dave McCaffery. Also, how can you part with a player like Rich Gilbert? You can't. David Lovering? I'll take Scott Boutier.
I'm looking forward to this Pixies reunion, but the Catholics will be back...don't worry your pretty little heads about it anymore.
Go to Top of Page

ELoRPS
- FB Fan -

Canada
20 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2004 :  09:10:48  Show Profile  Visit ELoRPS's Homepage
Why even debate it? Let The Pixies reunite.. You don't actually think that they're going to stay together after the tour do you? FB & company will inded return after this little break. Personally I'd like to see Santiago back with Frank.
Tickets go on sale this Friday for the warmup gigs,..can't wait!

"Some people like cupcakes better,..I for one care less for them!"
Go to Top of Page

sirena
- FB Fan -

2 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2004 :  10:27:23  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by mishkabunny

i think all the catholics have other projects on the go, i know rich gilbert plays with tanya donelly, and apparently with the velvet swingers.

rich also plays with the blackstone valley sinners which has quickly become one of my favorite bands!

be a star

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000