Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Frog in the Sand
-+ Le premiere frog +-

France
2715 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2004 :  10:14:48  Show Profile  Visit Frog in the Sand's Homepage
http://forum.frankblack.net/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5047

Edited by - Frog in the Sand on 02/07/2004 10:15:29

ramona
"FB Quote Mistress"

USA
3988 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2004 :  10:26:45  Show Profile  Visit ramona's Homepage
Way to jump to conclusions.

"Music does not drag me down. Music lifts me up." - Frank Black
Go to Top of Page

Jason
* Dog in the Sand *

1446 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2004 :  10:32:06  Show Profile
Was that a locust that just flew by me?

I don't think he's angry. Just sensitive to being misquoted and how bad lots of journalists can be when interpreting what they see. It's understandable. "It's all good", as the kids say.

Edited by - Jason on 02/07/2004 10:35:09
Go to Top of Page

bumblebeeboy2
> Teenager of the Year <

United Kingdom
2638 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2004 :  10:34:22  Show Profile  Click to see bumblebeeboy2's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by Jason

Was that a locust that just flew by me?

I don't think he's angry. Just sensitive to being misquoted and how bad lots of journalists can be. "It's all good", as the kids say.

he might be slightly more annoyed by a thread pointing to the said post, saying he's back and angry, though...

i think 'the king is back' would have surficed.

listening to the live cd with death to... can't wait for T in the Park!

BOWIE AND PIXIES!!!!

hehe!

~~~
I'm flat out, you're so beautiful to look at when you cry. Freeze, don't move, you've been chosen as an extra in the movie adaptation of the sequal to your life. Shady Lane, everybody wants one, Shady Lane, everybody needs one.
Go to Top of Page

mdisanto
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1140 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2004 :  10:59:03  Show Profile  Visit mdisanto's Homepage
hah yah he probably thinks were all tools here, and im not sure this thread helps, but whatever, doesnt make his music sound any less good

-miked
Go to Top of Page

Jason
* Dog in the Sand *

1446 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2004 :  11:07:24  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by bumblebeeboy2

he might be slightly more annoyed by a thread pointing to the said post, saying he's back and angry, though...

It might be pretty ironic that a post where Frank guards himself from being misrepresented for sensationalism purposes is linked by someone, who in turn misrepresents Frank's response for sensational purposes.

heh heh...
Go to Top of Page

Stuart
- The Clopser -

China
2291 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2004 :  11:08:13  Show Profile  Visit Stuart's Homepage
Nah, he's fucking around, he surely knows what FITS said was just jest.

Who's the man that won't cop out when there's danger all about?
Go to Top of Page

Frog in the Sand
-+ Le premiere frog +-

France
2715 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2004 :  11:50:50  Show Profile  Visit Frog in the Sand's Homepage
quote:
It might be pretty ironic that a post where Frank guards himself from being misrepresented for sensationalism purposes is linked by someone, who in turn misrepresents Frank's response for sensational purposes.

'For sensational purposes'?... I hope Frank has a greater sense of humor than you...
Go to Top of Page

PixieSteve
> Teenager of the Year <

Poland
4698 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2004 :  12:13:15  Show Profile
it's kinda weird/cool that frank black might be looking at all our posts... i wonder how he felt about some peoples' negative reactions towards the pixies reunion.
Go to Top of Page

GoddessTheory
= Cult of Ray =

USA
675 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2004 :  14:56:51  Show Profile
It doesn't matter. There is no FLASHING JOKE FONT. If some random surfer saw that and went around blabbing that frank is badmouthing someone, that's how RUMORS get started. It happens very quick and in a number of different ways nowadays.

Besides, what is the deal with people doing stupid shit and then saying "It's just a joke" as if that will make it all better?

Frank was protecting his livelihood. I don't think it's a good idea to be pulling any more shtuff like that anyway.

Whether he has a "sense of humor" about it or not is irrelevant in this situation. He cleared it up and said he didn't like it when that happens. Leave it at that.
Go to Top of Page

Dave Noisy
Minister of Chaos

Canada
4496 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2004 :  15:24:06  Show Profile  Visit Dave Noisy's Homepage
Aye, it wouldn't be a stretch that a PJ fan might happen upon it, and it could play the 'telephone' game and turn out pretty ugly.

And the search feature here is still hooped, so no one would ever be able to find it to confirm it or not..heh..

I'd hope Derek would make it clear it's just a joke in the thread...on quick glance it looks too legit.

I think when it was posted, it was still before the Feb issue would have been out (??) so that doesn't help...

My two cents.

Join the Cult of the Flying Pigxies - I'm A Believer!
Go to Top of Page

Jason
* Dog in the Sand *

1446 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2004 :  16:06:34  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Frog in the Sand

quote:

'For sensational purposes'?... I hope Frank has a greater sense of humor than you...

Yeah, my comment was a little harsh. I apologize. I'm not into the whole internet-fighting thing.

As for the FB quote gag, that Eddie Vedder joke was posted weeks ago and no one attacked the guy who posted it then and told him it was stupid and a threat to anyone's livelihood (?). Most thought it was funny so it looks a little silly to start attacking him now.

Frank had his say about it, someone then had a mind to go in and alter the original post a little, and that's that. Nuttin' more to analyze. Ultimately, one being satirized (or situations around them being satirized) often comes with being in the public eye.

Edited by - Jason on 02/07/2004 20:52:58
Go to Top of Page

GoddessTheory
= Cult of Ray =

USA
675 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2004 :  16:19:47  Show Profile
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Frog in the Sand

quote:

Yeah, my comment was a little harsh. I apologize. I'm not into the whole internet-fight thing.

As for FB quote gag, that Eddie Vedder joke was posted weeks ago and no one attacked the guy who posted it then and told him it was stupid and a threat to anyone's livelihood (?).

Yes. It's called, it's how he makes mony. That is his livelihood. He said he got paid A LOT of money and you don't fuck over someone who pays your way. So yes, it would be messing with his livelihood if someone's "joke" on the fan forum page messed it up.

That's how that happens.
Go to Top of Page

El Barto
= Song DB Master =

USA
4020 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2004 :  18:02:52  Show Profile  Visit El Barto's Homepage
God, what the fuck, give Derek a break, it was a joke. Everyone's all over sensitive cause the king had a grudge with an obvious joke. If it was so bad, why didn't anyone say anything in the first place?What, are we going to see in next week's paper "Former Pixies Frontman Stabbed By Eddie Veder" or something? Is he going to lose his record contract because of some fake quote? You know, anybody can tell that was an obvious joke. I feel sorry for anyone who can't.

"Join the Cult of Brit / And let your oral hygiene go out the window."

Edited by - El Barto on 02/07/2004 18:04:35
Go to Top of Page

Chris Knight
= Cult of Ray =

USA
899 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2004 :  19:46:03  Show Profile  Visit Chris Knight's Homepage
Yep. Harmless, and funny.

Join the Cult of the Flying Pigxies *snort* SCREEEEEECH! *flap flap flap*
Go to Top of Page

martha_promise
= Cult of Ray =

USA
398 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2004 :  20:10:40  Show Profile
Wow. Looks like everyboydy's pretty uptight...Must be the reunion deal. Pretty stressful, eh?

~~Polly-ann drove steel like a man~~
Go to Top of Page

Dave Noisy
Minister of Chaos

Canada
4496 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2004 :  23:59:51  Show Profile  Visit Dave Noisy's Homepage
I dunno..when FB posts something here, i think it should be taken seriously.

Maybe i'm the only one in this camp.

Go to Top of Page

ProverbialCereal
- FB TabMaster -

USA
2953 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2004 :  00:51:04  Show Profile
Holy crap!!! I had no idea this was going on. Well, I guess this thread was only started today...

Anyway, man... I honestly feel bad about it, being that Frank Black replied to my comment and all. So, if you are reading this, Frank (Black), I am sorry for the fake-quote. "I don't want to hurt you (at all)" ... dang ... another misquote by me!

I can understand Frank being upset about being quoted wrongly no matter how much of an obvious joke it is. I didn't even think about that when I posted it though.

(I'm gonna have nightmares tonight and Frank will quote me over and over and over and over whilst dangling Pixies tickets over my head that I can't ever reach. Then when I finally get them, the show will be the Pixies playing "La La Love You" 20 times in a row, then they'll play it thrice for the encore. After the show I'll try to get Frank's autograph and he will quote me with a Sharpie)

"Join the Cult of Reunion / And start a thread that will get locked."
Go to Top of Page

Cheeseman1000
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Iceland
8201 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2004 :  01:37:41  Show Profile  Visit Cheeseman1000's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by El Barto

"Former Pixies Frontman Stabbed By Eddie Veder" [/i]

"I joined the Cult Of Cheese/E-Damn!"
Go to Top of Page

Adnan_le_Terrible
* Dog in the Sand *

France
1973 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2004 :  02:36:27  Show Profile  Visit Adnan_le_Terrible's Homepage
"I'm still alive"
Frank Black, Spin, March 2004.

I joined the three kitties club / And now I can participate to a secret forum with Charles.

Edited by - Adnan_le_Terrible on 02/08/2004 02:39:08
Go to Top of Page

bumblebeeboy2
> Teenager of the Year <

United Kingdom
2638 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2004 :  05:28:02  Show Profile  Click to see bumblebeeboy2's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by ProverbialCereal

Holy crap!!! I had no idea this was going on. Well, I guess this thread was only started today...

Anyway, man... I honestly feel bad about it, being that Frank Black replied to my comment and all. So, if you are reading this, Frank (Black), I am sorry for the fake-quote. "I don't want to hurt you (at all)" ... dang ... another misquote by me!

I can understand Frank being upset about being quoted wrongly no matter how much of an obvious joke it is. I didn't even think about that when I posted it though.

(I'm gonna have nightmares tonight and Frank will quote me over and over and over and over whilst dangling Pixies tickets over my head that I can't ever reach. Then when I finally get them, the show will be the Pixies playing "La La Love You" 20 times in a row, then they'll play it thrice for the encore. After the show I'll try to get Frank's autograph and he will quote me with a Sharpie)

lol! that was la la love you, for our friend on the FB.net message board, and now, here's la la love you, again for our friend ProverbialCereal...

lol! could be a looooooong night! lololol!

(not really adding much to the topic, just trying to lighten it up a bit, no harm meant, no harm really done, water under the bridge)...

~~~
I'm flat out, you're so beautiful to look at when you cry. Freeze, don't move, you've been chosen as an extra in the movie adaptation of the sequal to your life. Shady Lane, everybody wants one, Shady Lane, everybody needs one.
Go to Top of Page

GoddessTheory
= Cult of Ray =

USA
675 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2004 :  07:04:01  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Noisy

Nope. That's all I am saying as well. I think everyone needs to think about it for just a minute and you'll see where the logic is in that.
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2004 :  08:21:29  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Noisy

I'm with 'ya, Dave. I don't think people should be upset at Derek (it was an honest joke with no ill intent - and he's a hell of a bloke besides) but if Frank is worried about it, that's enough for me to at least add some sort of disclaimer to the post.

"Join the Cult of Frank / And you'll be enlightened"

Edited by - Cult_Of_Frank on 02/08/2004 08:21:57
Go to Top of Page

GoddessTheory
= Cult of Ray =

USA
675 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2004 :  09:02:04  Show Profile
Don't take it as a slight to whoever wrote it. It's not about the person, it's the action.

Dean, you've written a fake "news" story in "the King holds court" topic.

With all the "fake" names and stuff in it, at least you can tell it's a joke. Even if it looked "real."

Now if you had written that it came from a real source and contained real people, people who exist in real life and real names it might have been a different story.

People just have to be careful what gets picked up on the internet. Especially when it's a fan site. Outside people tend to think every word is law like this is an official site.
Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2004 :  09:20:35  Show Profile
He was obviously just clearing things up...I don't think he was angry.
Go to Top of Page

ProverbialCereal
- FB TabMaster -

USA
2953 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2004 :  10:22:21  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Adnan_le_Terrible

"I'm still alive"
Frank Black, Spin, March 2004.

lolfr (laughing out loud for real)

I didn't think Frank was angry, and I'm thankful he didn't lash out at me specifically. Maybe it's good I posted that "quote." I served as a guinea pig and now we all know not to do what I did. I respect Frank too much not to feel bad about quoting him fakely.

Though honestly I'd probably feel bad even if it was Linkin Park that I misquoted, and then Linkin Park spoke up against my tomfoolery.

"Derek, you hurt our bands feelings." ~Linkin Park

Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2004 :  10:35:49  Show Profile
Ohhhh don't bad mouth Linkin Park. They'll get you at recess.
Go to Top of Page

VoVat
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

USA
9168 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2004 :  12:53:27  Show Profile  Visit VoVat's Homepage  Click to see VoVat's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Besides, what is the deal with people doing stupid shit and then saying "It's just a joke" as if that will make it all better?

Well, I would imagine that most people in this situation were hoping others would realize the joke WITHOUT their having to point it out/apologize.

-Nathan
And how does lemur's skin reflect the sea?
http://vovat.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Adnan_le_Terrible
* Dog in the Sand *

France
1973 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2004 :  15:24:23  Show Profile  Visit Adnan_le_Terrible's Homepage
I knew that FB was pretty sensitive to this kind of thing, though. This kind of remark made his cooperation with Morissey (that would have been the dream team) impossible.

I joined the three kitties club / And now I can participate to a secret forum with Charles.
Go to Top of Page

GoddessTheory
= Cult of Ray =

USA
675 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2004 :  16:57:23  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Adnan_le_Terrible

I knew that FB was pretty sensitive to this kind of thing, though. This kind of remark made his cooperation with Morissey (that would have been the dream team) impossible.

This affecting his livelihood.

BAM.....boo yah.
Go to Top of Page

Chris Knight
= Cult of Ray =

USA
899 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2004 :  19:38:11  Show Profile  Visit Chris Knight's Homepage
I understand and have no problem with Frank coming onto the board and responding to a fake quote jokingly attributed to him, thus eliminating the (remote) possibility that someone who isn't accustomed to "board humor" taking the quote out of context. However, I think it's a bit tactless and gratuitous for board members who ARE accustomed to "board humor" to go on and on AFTER THE FACT about how such a quote might threaten Frank's livelihood in some abstract, miniscule way, especially when the quote was created by a FB forum regular who obviously meant no harm and is probably reading this very thread right now.

I think I've sufficiently clarified my previous post.
Go to Top of Page

ProverbialCereal
- FB TabMaster -

USA
2953 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2004 :  19:50:25  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Knight

[...] especially when the quote was created by a FB forum regular who [...] is probably reading this very thread right now.

Wow dude. You must be psychic.

-Derek (not in a cult right now)
Go to Top of Page

GoddessTheory
= Cult of Ray =

USA
675 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2004 :  07:54:52  Show Profile
quote:

I understand and have no problem with Frank coming onto the board and responding to a fake quote jokingly attributed to him, thus eliminating the (remote) possibility that someone who isn't accustomed to "board humor" taking the quote out of context. However, I think it's a bit tactless and gratuitous for board members who ARE accustomed to "board humor" to go on and on AFTER THE FACT about how such a quote might threaten Frank's livelihood in some abstract, miniscule way, especially when the quote was created by a FB forum regular who obviously meant no harm and is probably reading this very thread right now.

I think I've sufficiently clarified my previous post.

And THANK GOD YOU DID. I was waiting.

But that's what we do (including your post right? The shoe fits...)...we talk and talk and talk...it's a forum. Welcome to it.
Go to Top of Page

PsychicTwin
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1772 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2004 :  12:45:57  Show Profile  Visit PsychicTwin's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by ProverbialCereal

quote:

[...] especially when the quote was created by a FB forum regular who [...] is probably reading this very thread right now.

Wow dude. You must be psychic.

-Derek (not in a cult right now)

No, there is only one true psychic here. Me.
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2004 :  13:03:21  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage
And your good twin...

"Join the Cult of Frank / And you'll be enlightened"
Go to Top of Page

PsychicTwin
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1772 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2004 :  05:25:20  Show Profile  Visit PsychicTwin's Homepage
Which reminds me, Dean....I have a murder to plan!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000