Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Scarla O
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
947 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2004 :  03:18:05  Show Profile  Visit Scarla O's Homepage

Of course no-one's personality remains static since their teenage years - our experience of the world forces us to adopt alternative ways of acting BUT what I'm saying is that these new patterns of behaviour conceal what is ultimately a 'child'.
Go to Top of Page

edwina
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
179 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2004 :  04:36:51  Show Profile
I think there's some truth in what you all said. Yes, I did mean that it is possible to get old and not change at all, if we either don't go through life-changing events or we do, but we are not receptive enough to let them touch us; and yes, I agree that the core of our personality will probably always be the same.
Perhaps sometimes becoming more responsible or, if we like, "mature", is more out of necessity than desire to be a better person, though.
Go to Top of Page

GoddessTheory
= Cult of Ray =

USA
675 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2004 :  07:28:13  Show Profile
Actually, the point is that Paul F. Tompkins is one funny mofo. It's not supposed to be an in depth psycho-analysis. It's just one guy commenting on the fact that he finds it funny the things people go through as a teen, grasping for some coolness, and then drop (or should drop) later... I mean, how many of us have tried clove ciggarettes and wouldn't even touch them now. Because they remind us of our awkward teenage years and they are horrible. It's just a universal phenomenon. But mostly, it's just fucking funny and you should seek this guy out because he can make you laugh your ass off.

But whatever! It's just a topic in a stream of topics that flow to the ocean of topics in wich little "post" fish swim and school and live and die. You can sink or swim, you can fish or cut bait. It's all up to you.
Go to Top of Page

mcmikey
= Cult of Ray =

799 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2004 :  07:47:38  Show Profile
Paul Tompkins IS pretty funny. I especialy like the essay he wrote about homer simpson

peace, I'm out
Go to Top of Page

GoddessTheory
= Cult of Ray =

USA
675 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2004 :  08:01:20  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by mcmikey

Paul Tompkins IS pretty funny. I especialy like the essay he wrote about homer simpson

peace, I'm out

Don't sell yourself short. You are even funnier. I mean, how many people would have the comedic fortitude to sit around for 20 minutes, changing the word Chalres Bukowski to Homer Simpson every time it came up in this article? Only you I believe.

I agree with your nom as the Most Witty and Amusing Member of the Forum for the 2003 Frankies. That seriously is witty AND amusing.

I also appreciate the Most Contentious nom (although being a dummie, I had to look it up first.) Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

mcmikey
= Cult of Ray =

799 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2004 :  08:08:52  Show Profile
no problem.

You forgot to mention that I changed every mention of Tom Waits to Matt Groening too

peace, I'm out
Go to Top of Page

GoddessTheory
= Cult of Ray =

USA
675 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2004 :  08:17:11  Show Profile
That's right. But this was my favorite line:

Early Groening and any Homer will stand you in good stead with aspiring white A.V. club members.

to add: And comic book guys.

Best sarcasm ever.

Go to Top of Page

mcmikey
= Cult of Ray =

799 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2004 :  08:22:35  Show Profile
yeah, that line took some work to get right.

"I was on the internet registering my disgust within minutes"

peace, I'm out
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000