= Cult of Ray =

USA
675 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2004 :  07:23:27  Show Profile
DRIVEN TO DRINK
By Paul F. Tompkins
Reprinted from www.LAInnuendo

One mean drunk on one annoying drunk

If you’re over 22 years of age, you really shouldn’t like the work of Charles Bukowski anymore. I don’t mean you should stop telling people you like his work, I mean, literally, you shouldn’t like it anymore.

Why? Because Charles Bukowski was nothing more than a tremendously unpleasant old drunk who wrote and rewrote the same book about 40 times. If you’re a budding pretentious jerkoff in your late teens, get yourself any Bukowski book and hang on to it. You needn’t buy any of the others. Just read that one 40 times. You’ve got to trust me on this. And by all means avoid his "poetry." First of all, poetry is an embarrassing art form and is only really done well once every hundred years or so, and Bukowski was no cummings. Essentially, his "poetry" was just one of his self-consciously squalid, repetitive "short stories" chopped up to look like "poetry." It’s no "good."

See, it’s just not for adults. It’s okay for those crucial years when you are trying to form what you think is a cool personality. Bukowski will not let you down then. Talking about him lends you some whiff of non-suburbanity, which I know you desperately want and need at this point in your still-formative years. This is the time to drink off-brand bourbon and discover Tom Waits’s early catalogue, when he was singing in a phony Louie Armstrong voice and was pretty much just as pretentious as you now aspire to be. These early Waits songs are all about things that would happen in a Bukowski story! Fantastic! But as forced as those songs are, they’re still a thousand times better-written than any single sentence of Bukowski’s. Early Waits and any Bukowski will stand you in good stead with aspiring white bluesmen and any girls at your local "bohemian" bar who are really into getting drunk all day every day.

(Also, my future New Beverly fixture, don’t bother with clove cigarettes. I guarantee you won’t like them and it’s not worth trying to get used to them because you never will and they smell like perfume you would buy in a hospital gift shop.)

What’s so weird about the Tom Waits/Charles Bukowski connection is that Waits clearly didn’t experience any of the retro "Nighthawks at the Diner" horseshit he was shoveling out, but Bukowski lived all of his own miserable work. So why is it so goddamned terrible? Perhaps because Bukowski was merely reporting the things that went on in his life, without any real effort to make these experiences into literature. This is the beauty of pretension. It takes a huge asshole to write about his fights, his wine hangovers, and his frequenting of prostitutes, but it takes an even bigger asshole to encourage him to do so.

Unfortunately, Bukowski lived and wrote here and is associated closely with Los Angeles. In certain circles, anyway. A little while ago some old ghost of mine from back east came out here for a week-long visit that I can only describe as excruciating. This is a guy who has a soul patch, wears vintage bowling shirts, and says "dig" because he thinks it makes him interesting. This fellow is in his mid-forties. How awkward! Needless to say, he was thrilled to be walking the same streets as one of his heroes, Charles Bukowski. I let him do this on his own, going so far as to pretend I had a job to go to every day so I could avoid this goon.

One afternoon, he came back to my apartment after having been roaming around Hollywood all day. He told me he’d gone and had a couple of pops at a bar called The Ski Room at Sunset and Bronson. Sadly, I know the Ski Room all too well, having been forced by my circumstances to drink there almost exclusively when I first came to town and didn’t really have any of what you’d call money. By the way, it’s not called the Ski Room anymore; its current name is Raji’s, and by all appearances it is a thinly veiled Vietnamese brothel.

"Went to The Ski Room today, man," the goon said. "I really dig that place."

I angrily bit the inside of my cheek until I tasted copper and replied, "Oh, yeah?"

With a huge smile on his face, the goon told me that he was informed that Bukowski used to drink there.

What I did not tell him was that this is hardly singular news. Bukowski was a hideous alcoholic and most likely drank in every bar in Los Angeles. If there is a bus stop bench on your corner, odds are he drank there, too. There probably isn’t a plaque, but try to enjoy it anyway.

For more Paul F. Tompkins, visit www.paulftompkins.com

mcmikey
= Cult of Ray =

799 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2004 :  08:01:38  Show Profile
ok, what was the point o' that, lassie

mikey wuz here
Go to Top of Page

GoddessTheory
= Cult of Ray =

USA
675 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2004 :  08:15:47  Show Profile
Here is a diagram for you alone...as noone else would ask that question.

Ok

Title of Post: Charles Bukowski - Get Over It

Body of Post - Wherein the author of said article lays down his opinion that Bukowski is a tool for little wannabe hipsters to use to show off when in reality he was a weak drunk writer who should only appeal to those grasping for some kind of escape from their dull suburban life.

REASON FOR POSTING - It's funny, it's true!, and it goes along with the William S. Burroughs topic. Mainly though because it is funny and Pual Tompkins is a hilarious writer and comic and he should be sought out by those who would so wish to know more.

There, you happy? Was it all laid out nice and neat for you? I tried.
Go to Top of Page

mcmikey
= Cult of Ray =

799 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2004 :  08:31:00  Show Profile
I didn't ask for a layout, just the reason for posting. Ya see, I can read as well as you, possibly even better. It just came out of the blue. shnah!

mikey wuz here
Go to Top of Page

GoddessTheory
= Cult of Ray =

USA
675 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2004 :  08:35:36  Show Profile
So what was the point of that , Laddie?
Go to Top of Page

mcmikey
= Cult of Ray =

799 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2004 :  08:45:38  Show Profile
to state the reason of my post since you obviously misunderstood. You get a little defensive dontcha

mikey wuz here
Go to Top of Page

GoddessTheory
= Cult of Ray =

USA
675 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2004 :  08:46:25  Show Profile
Only with you.
Go to Top of Page

GoddessTheory
= Cult of Ray =

USA
675 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2004 :  08:51:35  Show Profile
Let's get back to the Bukowski point.

If you wanna chit chat, email me. I would do the same for you but you have failed to put an email address.
Go to Top of Page

mcmikey
= Cult of Ray =

799 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2004 :  08:51:38  Show Profile
silly girl

mikey wuz here
Go to Top of Page

GoddessTheory
= Cult of Ray =

USA
675 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2004 :  08:57:11  Show Profile
Silly boy.
Go to Top of Page

mcmikey
= Cult of Ray =

799 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2004 :  09:00:49  Show Profile
what makes you think I"m a boy?

mikey wuz here
Go to Top of Page

The King Of Karaoke
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
3759 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2004 :  09:03:07  Show Profile
The looovvve booaaoat / offer's up something for everyone / the looovvve boooaaat / soon you'll be having fun.
Go to Top of Page

GoddessTheory
= Cult of Ray =

USA
675 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2004 :  09:05:27  Show Profile
Look dammit, I don't give a rat's ass what you are other than the fact you feel it's necessary to constantly write weird responses everytime I post something. As I said, if you need to address me personally, leave it off the forum because no one wants to read this pointless back and forth you seem to want to perpetuate. Email me like the moderators say. I tried to email my personal responses to you but you have no email.

If you want to personally respond to me, please keep it out of the topics and the posts and use email. Quit spoiling the posts. That's it. That's all I am saying about it.
Go to Top of Page

mcmikey
= Cult of Ray =

799 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2004 :  09:05:32  Show Profile
gopher was my fave

mikey wuz here
Go to Top of Page

The King Of Karaoke
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
3759 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2004 :  09:14:00  Show Profile
I had the hot's for Stubings niece. What was her name?
Go to Top of Page

realmeanmotorscutor
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1764 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2004 :  09:14:58  Show Profile
yep, Bukowski is an ass amd only occassionally worth reading. McMikey, what gives? What's the point of anything on this board? Sparking interest is all.

"I joined the Cult of Popeye / The CoF required my good eye"
Go to Top of Page

mcmikey
= Cult of Ray =

799 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2004 :  09:16:20  Show Profile
charities---they give

mikey wuz here
Go to Top of Page

The King Of Karaoke
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
3759 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2004 :  09:23:11  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by realmeanmotorscutor

yep, Bukowski is an ass amd only occassionally worth reading. McMikey, what gives? What's the point of anything on this board? Sparking interest is all.

"I joined the Cult of Popeye / The CoF required my good eye"

Realmean, you grab me that slice of Esspresso's yet? (Lowell pizza)

Note to self: get ass itchin' ointment...fer ass...that's.. uh?...itchin'!
Go to Top of Page

mcmikey
= Cult of Ray =

799 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2004 :  09:28:04  Show Profile
do you remember that episode of love boat where they thought gopher was a thief?

mikey wuz here
Go to Top of Page

The King Of Karaoke
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
3759 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2004 :  09:29:06  Show Profile
Charo. I wonder what she looks like these days. Cocchie Coochie Coo! Remember that?
Go to Top of Page

The King Of Karaoke
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
3759 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2004 :  09:32:07  Show Profile
Gopher! A theif? I'm not sure. It must of been like some three's company kind of plot where everything was misunderstood.
I can't believce John Ritter is dead. What a hidden talent
Go to Top of Page

GoddessTheory
= Cult of Ray =

USA
675 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2004 :  09:35:10  Show Profile
Please start your own topic. This is not the topic for what you are discussing amongst yourselves.
Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2004 :  09:42:55  Show Profile
that's pretty funny. because it's true. i thought Bukowski was really cool when i was in high school, but grew out of him pretty quickly. he's still a good writer.. but kind of annoying too. he's sort of in the Jack Kerouac vein if you ask me; he's more popular because he's "cool" and not so much because he's that great of a writer.

also, if you're not from LA, the "New Beverly" is an old art-house theatre where they play cool double features (for $5)..
Go to Top of Page

The King Of Karaoke
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
3759 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2004 :  09:48:25  Show Profile
Jack Kerouac is from Lowell. I'm from Lowell. Espresso's pizza is in Lowell. Real mean did you get that slice for me yet? Was it good?
Go to Top of Page

mcmikey
= Cult of Ray =

799 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2004 :  10:05:39  Show Profile
wasn't Capt. Stubing from Lowell?

mikey wuz here
Go to Top of Page

GoddessTheory
= Cult of Ray =

USA
675 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2004 :  10:17:33  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by floop

that's pretty funny. because it's true. i thought Bukowski was really cool when i was in high school, but grew out of him pretty quickly. he's still a good writer.. but kind of annoying too. he's sort of in the Jack Kerouac vein if you ask me; he's more popular because he's "cool" and not so much because he's that great of a writer.

also, if you're not from LA, the "New Beverly" is an old art-house theatre where they play cool double features (for $5)..

I also liked when he said that part about any bustop or bar in LA was where Bukowski would drink, though there won't be a plaque.

Also the clove ciggarette think had me rolling. You were right. He nailed it.
Go to Top of Page

mcmikey
= Cult of Ray =

799 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2004 :  10:20:08  Show Profile
yeah, and I liked when Tattoo from Fantasy Island guested on the love boat. Classic!

mikey wuz here
Go to Top of Page

Adnan_le_Terrible
* Dog in the Sand *

France
1973 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2004 :  12:33:06  Show Profile  Visit Adnan_le_Terrible's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by GoddessTheory

Only with you.

Noy only with him, with me as well...

Oh, and the word is not defensive, I would say offensive, actually...

what have I become, my Swedish friend? / everyone one I know goes away in the end
Go to Top of Page

mcmikey
= Cult of Ray =

799 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2004 :  12:35:05  Show Profile
Goddess, you're popular

...and don't forget the taint!
Go to Top of Page

Adnan_le_Terrible
* Dog in the Sand *

France
1973 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2004 :  12:35:38  Show Profile  Visit Adnan_le_Terrible's Homepage
Oh and I know that Bukowski is consider Beat, like Burroughs, but their writings are really completely different and uncomparable.

what have I become, my Swedish friend? / everyone one I know goes away in the end
Go to Top of Page

GoddessTheory
= Cult of Ray =

USA
675 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2004 :  12:39:12  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Adnan_le_Terrible

Oh and I know that Bukowski is consider Beat, like Burroughs, but their writings are really completely different and uncomparable.

Since when is Bukowski considered "beat" or of the beat generation?

Go to Top of Page

Adnan_le_Terrible
* Dog in the Sand *

France
1973 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2004 :  12:43:13  Show Profile  Visit Adnan_le_Terrible's Homepage
Do a little research before attacking like Attila the Hun.

Go to Top of Page

The King Of Karaoke
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
3759 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2004 :  12:45:21  Show Profile
Gt, see? great example
Go to Top of Page

SpudBoy
= Cult of Ray =

Equatorial Guinea
649 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2004 :  12:47:46  Show Profile  Visit SpudBoy's Homepage
I own a single Bukowski book and have yet to read it forty times, but there are parts I like and parts I don't. To me, the real irony of all this is that the review comes across as frustrated, haughty, pretentious, and bitter - and is only mildly articulate. But then I suppose he's not shooting for poetry.

I looked for a cult to join, then decided to just play "Sink". Hey! I sank WallaWalla Washington!
Go to Top of Page

GoddessTheory
= Cult of Ray =

USA
675 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2004 :  12:48:16  Show Profile
Not attacking, just asking question. Why are you so sensitive?

Since when is Bukowski a beat generation poet?

Answer before spouting off like Adnan the jerk.
Go to Top of Page

mcmikey
= Cult of Ray =

799 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2004 :  12:49:05  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by GoddessTheory

quote:
Originally posted by Adnan_le_Terrible

Since when is Bukowski considered "beat" or of the beat generation?

he actually is grouped in with them quite a bit, more because of writing style and lifestyle than anything else. It's true, our French friend is not making things up.
Didn't Bukowski guest on The Love Boat once?

...and don't forget the taint!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000