Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

The New Bolero
= Cult of Ray =

394 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2004 :  05:33:04  Show Profile
http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1484334/20040113/radiohead.jhtml?headlines=true
Organizers have confirmed one of the worst-kept secrets in music — that Radiohead, German electronic quartet Kraftwerk and the newly reunited Pixies will headline the first night of the two-day Coachella music festival on May 1 in Indio, California.

Last year's festival was headlined by the Beastie Boys and Red Hot Chili Peppers and included performances by the White Stripes, the Stooges, Ben Harper, Queens of the Stone Age, Underworld, N.E.R.D. and approximately 70 other bands (see "Iggy, Beasties, White Stripes Lead Three-Pronged Invasion At Coachella").

Modeled after eclectic European festivals like Glastonbury and Reading, the Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival features a diverse lineup of rock, hip-hop and dance artists. Taking heed of the Woodstock concerts staged in 1994 and 1999, Coachella organizers have made a point of providing concertgoers with plenty of space and easy access to amenities like restrooms and water.

Barring the announcement of other concerts preceding Coachella, the festival will mark the first show for the Pixies since the highly influential post-punk quartet imploded 11 years ago (see "Pixies To Reunite For Tour, Album").

Kraftwerk, meanwhile, are regarded as even more influential. Their melodic, electronic compositions inspired the creation of entire genres of music, including house, techno and — as Afrika Bambaataa demonstrated with his classic "Planet Rock" — hip-hop. Kraftwerk reunited in 1999 to release a new single, "Expo 2000," and last year reworked their song "Tour De France" into an entire album.

Coachella organizers are still finalizing contracts with dozens of other bands, including headliners for the festival's second day.

[EDIT - Moved]

Edited by - Cult_Of_Frank on 01/14/2004 06:18:50

Adnan_le_Terrible
* Dog in the Sand *

France
1973 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2004 :  05:45:49  Show Profile  Visit Adnan_le_Terrible's Homepage
Well that's good news....I only need to get a ticket to the festival + a plane ticket from Paris to LA and here you go...
Go to Top of Page

Cheeseman1000
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Iceland
8201 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2004 :  05:47:46  Show Profile  Visit Cheeseman1000's Homepage
Much as I'd trust MTV with my life, I'll wait and see for the truth of this.
If they signed up to play at Highbury Garage or something I'd probably go then...

"I joined the Cult Of Cheese/E-Damn!"
Go to Top of Page

Thomas
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1615 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2004 :  06:11:48  Show Profile  Click to see Thomas's MSN Messenger address
I'd rather see them in a smokey club as the only act with a few hundred 'close friends'. You can take your over priced festivals and stuff 'em.

Join the Cult of Little Black Francis / Our Love is Rice and Beans and Horses Lard
Go to Top of Page

Chris Knight
= Cult of Ray =

USA
899 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2004 :  06:17:22  Show Profile  Visit Chris Knight's Homepage
Anyone know the (probable) ticket price? Or have a link to the Coachella website?
Go to Top of Page

benji
> Teenager of the Year <

New Zealand
3420 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2004 :  06:21:22  Show Profile  Visit benji's Homepage
http://www.goldenvoice.com/coachella/
but it hasn't been updated since last year.

¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬
cook me some fucking eggs!
Go to Top of Page

Chris Knight
= Cult of Ray =

USA
899 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2004 :  06:29:03  Show Profile  Visit Chris Knight's Homepage
Thanx.
Go to Top of Page

Frog in the Sand
-+ Le premiere frog +-

France
2715 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2004 :  06:53:02  Show Profile  Visit Frog in the Sand's Homepage
Worst-kept secrets are often the best organized manipulations...
Go to Top of Page

chango
- FB Fan -

57 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2004 :  09:59:07  Show Profile
good lord.
as much as i expected and hoped this would be true... now that it finally is, i'm fuckin' stunned.
i can't wait, i wanna go right now... these next few months are going to kill me.
jesus this really is amazing... levitate me, indeed

this is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time.
Go to Top of Page

Chip.
- FB Fan -

Ireland
68 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2004 :  10:54:32  Show Profile
they will be coming to europe.....?
Go to Top of Page

El Barto
= Song DB Master =

USA
4020 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2004 :  11:54:55  Show Profile  Visit El Barto's Homepage
How depressing. It's not even the headline. They're not even mentioned first. There's more of a deal made over Radiohead and Kraftwerk than the Pixies. Why the FUCK would they do a reunion if they're still just going to be billed as a second rate band? How stupid is that?

"I joined the Cult of Clops / If I were you, I'd sleep with one eye open."
Go to Top of Page

DruggedBunny
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
395 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2004 :  11:59:51  Show Profile
My thoughts exactly -- why the fucking *fuck* are they playing third fiddle to fucking third-rate whiners Radiohead and second fiddle to another reunion band?!

First I was horrified at the idea of them reforming (for about 10 years), then I was excited by the idea... then this. They better have some frigging headline gigs lined up! It's THE FUCKING PIXIES, dammit!!! Hello???!
Go to Top of Page

chango
- FB Fan -

57 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2004 :  12:10:41  Show Profile
chill out... to us the pixies are gods, yes... but to the rest of the world out beyond this little geekly corner of the internet, radiohead is a far, far bigger fish. mtv news is going to cater to the masses, not us.
i do think however, that kraftwerk will be on before the pixies... as the pixies are more well known than them. coachella's been trying to line up the pixies for years and years, but let's not fool ourselves... while it's cool as hell, there's no way they were/are big enough to headline a festival that draws over 30-40,000 people a day.
their slot as second to last band is perfect, it's the same slot held last year by ben harper, and while i don't really give a damn about harper, there were more people there at that time than there were for the beastie boys who went on right after. like i said before, folks start heading to the parking lot during the last band so they can beat traffic. the pixies will have the best slot of the day.
anyways, i think a triple bill of radiohead, the pixies, and kraftwerk is pretty fucking bad ass. this is going to be great.

Go to Top of Page

Manny
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
252 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2004 :  12:26:52  Show Profile  Click to see Manny's MSN Messenger address
Let's hope they also announce some tour dates. A north american tour would be nice.. In the meantime, I'll have to save up some cash for this festival and a plane ticket..
Go to Top of Page

Dave Noisy
Minister of Chaos

Canada
4496 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2004 :  12:37:43  Show Profile  Visit Dave Noisy's Homepage
There is probably a good reason this isn't on the headline..and it's not being covered by many other 'wires'...
Go to Top of Page

The New Bolero
= Cult of Ray =

394 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2004 :  12:56:55  Show Profile
I thought the same thing. Opening for Radiohead is one thing but freaking Kraftwork? XFM's website says Pixies will headline(http://www.xfm.co.uk/Article.asp?id=16677)....
Often regarded as America's version of Glastonbury, the Coachella Festival will be taking place in California this May, with Radiohead, Kraftwerk and The Pixies all being reported as appearing.
According to MTV, this year’s event will feature headlining sets from Radiohead (see ‘Radiohead Back In Studio’) as well as a rare outing for German techno/electro legends Kraftwerk. Even more impressive is what will be the first announced concert by the newly reunited Pixies who will headline the first night of the two-day event.
Since Xfm broke the story about Pixies frontman Frank Black’s desire to reform his group, there has been massive speculation as to when the massively influential band would play live again, and it appears Coachella is to be their first gig for 11 years.
Go to Top of Page

The New Bolero
= Cult of Ray =

394 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2004 :  14:02:39  Show Profile
Billboard has picked it up too (http://www.billboard.com/bb/daily/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=2068510)...
As expected, organizers have officially confirmed that Radiohead and the Pixies will perform on the first day of the fifth Coachella Valley Music & Arts Festival, to be held May 1-2 in Indio, Calif. Pioneering German rock act Kraftwerk will also play on May 1. As first reported here, the lineup will also feature Air, Prefuse 73, the Thrills and Electric Six, plus the newly added Sahara Hotnights and the (International) Noise Conspiracy.
The Pixies will be playing their first show since abruptly disbanding in 1993. It is unknown if all four original members -- guitarists Frank Black and Joey Santiago, bassist Kim Deal and drummer David Lovering -- will be present, or if the show will dovetail into a tour or new recording project.
As previously reported, a Pixies DVD is in the works, featuring eight videos and a full 1988 concert, as is a newly compiled "best of" to replace the out-of-print 1997 album "Death to the Pixies." Billboard.com can confirm that Black is also planning a spring release for new solo music on spinART, which has issued his last three studio albums.
Go to Top of Page

Thomas
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1615 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2004 :  14:09:20  Show Profile  Click to see Thomas's MSN Messenger address
Those people who have no idea who the Pixies are, but are gonna be lucky enough to see them at Coachella are gonna be flawed when "Rock Music" (my guess for first song played) kicks 'em in the nuts.

There will be some people who will be wondering "why doesn't the band move on stage, they're like statues up there". To them I say FUCK YOU just move your feet.

Hey COF instead of just closing all those similar post links, why don't you just rename this topic something more understandable to the casual forumer (such a word?)

Join the Cult of Little Black Francis / Our Love is Rice and Beans and Horses Lard
Go to Top of Page

chango
- FB Fan -

57 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2004 :  14:36:19  Show Profile
now, that's great news, too.

"Billboard.com can confirm that Black is also planning a spring release for new solo music on spinART, which has issued his last three studio albums."

Go to Top of Page

Manny
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
252 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2004 :  15:07:26  Show Profile  Click to see Manny's MSN Messenger address
Rock Music as the first song they play... That would be a really good choice.

Any other guesses as to what will be the first song played? Or what would be a good one to start with? (Don't pick your favorite necessarily...)

I can see Debaser perhaps.
Go to Top of Page

gk128
- FB Fan -

USA
129 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2004 :  16:04:00  Show Profile
Here's to hoping they do a headlining tour of major US cities. I'd gladly drive to Boston to see them.
Go to Top of Page

Useyourname
- FB Fan -

185 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2004 :  16:46:01  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Noisy

There is probably a good reason this isn't on the headline..and it's not being covered by many other 'wires'...

I love how you're so fucking mysterious.

jimmy
Go to Top of Page

Cheeseman1000

Iceland
8201 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2004 :  16:50:20  Show Profile  Visit Cheeseman1000's Homepage
This is so hard its doing my brain in. Is it good or not? I think whichever way I'd be a fool not to go see them. So, I'm going to keep checking this site for rumours of shows in UK and buy tickets before anyone else. Mwuhaha!
And for the record, the Pixies could so be the headline and main attraction at Coachella, much more so than Radiohea or Kraftwerk. So Chango, I definitely disagree with you.

Go to Top of Page

Dave Noisy
Minister of Chaos

Canada
4496 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2004 :  20:06:04  Show Profile  Visit Dave Noisy's Homepage
hahah - thanks Jimmy. =P
Go to Top of Page

Stuart
- The Clopser -

China
2291 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2004 :  23:27:24  Show Profile  Visit Stuart's Homepage
Has there been any rumours / supposed confirmations of UK shows?? I'm getting married this Monday, and have put my girlfriend in a really bad mood today by telling her that if the Pixies reform then I have to go home, even if it is only for a day or two just to see the gig. As soon as someone hears about a UK gig please let me know.

Who's the man that won't cop out when there's danger all about?
Go to Top of Page

Frog in the Sand
-+ Le premiere frog +-

France
2715 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2004 :  00:18:51  Show Profile  Visit Frog in the Sand's Homepage
I still dunno what to think. Some time ago the Pixies were supposed to open for the Chili Peppers in Paris on June 15. There was even an 'official' statement, if I remember well...
Go to Top of Page

vilainde

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2004 :  02:32:28  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage
Hey Stuart - congrats!

Denis

"I joined the cult of Cult of Frank/Turns out he's the stupidest person on Earth"
Go to Top of Page

Ten Percenter
- FB Enquirer -

United Kingdom
1733 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2004 :  03:05:47  Show Profile
Congrats indeed Clopser. Just what sort of ring are you planning to give your intended?!

No man is an island, unless he is in the bath
Go to Top of Page

Cheeseman1000

Iceland
8201 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2004 :  04:44:43  Show Profile  Visit Cheeseman1000's Homepage
I also would like to say congratulations Stewpot. Nice work.

Go to Top of Page

Stuart
- The Clopser -

China
2291 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2004 :  05:02:37  Show Profile  Visit Stuart's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Ten Percenter

Congrats indeed Clopser. Just what sort of ring are you planning to give your intended?!

No man is an island, unless he is in the bath

Cheers guys (is that a congratulations for the wedding, or deciding to go home, or to LA to see the Pixies?)..... TP I should have known you'd come out with a clops reference, but in answer to your question the lucky lady will find out on the night of our wedding.... I'm such a romantic.

Go to Top of Page

benji
> Teenager of the Year <

New Zealand
3420 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2004 :  06:01:42  Show Profile  Visit benji's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Noisy

care to elaborate at all dave?

I smell a rat...a real stinky one.

¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬
cook me some fucking eggs!
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2004 :  06:41:11  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Stuart

quote:
Originally posted by Ten Percenter

Cheers guys (is that a congratulations for the wedding, or deciding to go home, or to LA to see the Pixies?)..... TP I should have known you'd come out with a clops reference, but in answer to your question the lucky lady will find out on the night of our wedding.... I'm such a romantic.

You scoundrel, keeping this hidden from us for so long, congrats!

When you get your ring, you should be able to trade it in for Max Payne and maybe even a few other computer games! :)

That's awesome, hope you have/had a rip-roarin' bachelor party. If not, I will have one in your honour this weekend. :) Seriously, though, congrats and all the best Monday and from then forth.

"Join the Cult of Frank / And you'll be enlightened"
Go to Top of Page

Stuart
- The Clopser -

China
2291 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2004 :  07:00:21  Show Profile  Visit Stuart's Homepage
Cheers COF, should be an interesting wedding. We have to travel up to the wifes home province as she cannot get married in Beijing. Up in Heilongjiang (close to Siberia) the temperature is as low as -30 degrees celcius (to Canadians this is probably nothing) which will be a shock as I have never been anywhere under -5. I'm looking forward to it though, however the reception will take place in August, as it's a long taxi ride back to Beijing. Will let you guys know how it went.... with any luck I'll be able to get into a cybercafe up there and post during my stay.

So I have that and a potential trip to LA in May on my mind.... as soon as I know the LA gig is a definate then I'm gonna book my ticket to the US I reckon.

Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2004 :  07:04:28  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage
Yeah, I'd really like to have some confirmation or some info on whether they will be coming anywhere close to Canada and namely Saskatoon. I've already used up more than my vacation time this year (well, I will have in Feb) and getting to Cali is either going to be time consuming, expensive, or most likely both.

That said, it'd be pretty cool if we could as I'm sure we could have some sort of FB.Net party/gathering there.

"Join the Cult of Frank / And you'll be enlightened"
Go to Top of Page

Ebb Vicious
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1162 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2004 :  07:53:27  Show Profile  Visit Ebb Vicious's Homepage
ooooooh i think i smell a rat, OHHh i think i smell a rat.

all you little kids seem to think you know just where it's at.

oHhhh i think i smell a rat.
Go to Top of Page

gracie
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
573 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2004 :  10:37:00  Show Profile
I think they should confirm whether there are going to be other dates.
If thats the only date their playing then i might give some thought to going, even though it'll cost me an absolute fortune.
I would have to go for a holiday, but the desert doesn't sound like that much fun.

Its almost certain that they'll do at least some dates in England... isn't it, tell me it is.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000