What happened to David Lovering?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

a guy in a rover
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
535 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2004 :  10:34:51  Show Profile  Click to see a guy in a rover's MSN Messenger address
We all know where the rest of the Pixies went but whatever happened to David Lovering?
I heard he played with the Martini's for a while, is this true?
If so, where did he go after that, did he just melt into obscurity?
Perhaps he's backpacking around Asia with Osama Bin Laden.
Seriuosly though, what the fuck happened to him?

"You are the son of a mother fucker"

TheCroutonFuton
- Mr. Setlists -

USA
1728 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2004 :  10:39:40  Show Profile  Visit TheCroutonFuton's Homepage
He's a magician now. No, seriously.

"Join the Cult of Gunn / And Then You'll Be Destined to be a Rock and Roll Star of Epical Proportions!"
Go to Top of Page

TheCroutonFuton
- Mr. Setlists -

USA
1728 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2004 :  10:41:34  Show Profile  Visit TheCroutonFuton's Homepage
http://www.laweekly.com/ink/03/35/features-albert.php

That link explains it quite well...check it out.

"Join the Cult of Gunn / And Then You'll Be Destined to be a Rock and Roll Star of Epical Proportions!"
Go to Top of Page

a guy in a rover
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
535 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2004 :  10:58:29  Show Profile  Click to see a guy in a rover's MSN Messenger address
Laughing my ass off reading this article.
I would have never have guessed that he would become a magician, thats pretty much the most fucking random thing that he could have done, except become a peanut farmer or something like that.
Anyway, I will always have respect for him for being a pixie, and if he wants to be a magician, fair play to him.
Whatever floats his boat.

"You are the son of a mother fucker"

Go to Top of Page

IceCream
= Quote Accumulator =

USA
1850 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2004 :  10:58:46  Show Profile  Visit IceCream's Homepage
I believe the correct term is "mentalist", as Frank said in an interview with vPro radio. I suggest you check that out, a guy in a rover. It's on the FTP section.
Go to Top of Page

PixieSteve
> Teenager of the Year <

Poland
4698 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2004 :  11:30:25  Show Profile
www.davidlovering.com
Go to Top of Page

NO.13Girl
- FB Fan -

USA
78 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2004 :  11:57:18  Show Profile  Visit NO.13Girl's Homepage  Click to see NO.13Girl's MSN Messenger address
Awesome, I'd like to see him perform sometime...

"I joined the Cult of Frank / Aren't I Special?"
Go to Top of Page

iluvblackfrancis
- FB Fan -

Kazakhstan
25 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2004 :  16:35:33  Show Profile
He was one of Frank's opening acts when I saw Frank this March. I didn't really get his little skit, it was sort of interesting, though. He's a funny guy.

"Pissing a few moments ago I looked down at my penis affectionatly. Knowing it has been inside twice today makes me feel beautiful."

Richard Brautigan
Go to Top of Page

El Barto
= Song DB Master =

USA
4020 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2004 :  18:22:30  Show Profile  Visit El Barto's Homepage
Scientific Phenomenalist (sp?)...his act is very enjoyable...hilarious.

"I joined the Cult of Clops / If I were you, I'd sleep with one eye open."
Go to Top of Page

apl4eris
~ Abstract Brain ~

USA
4800 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2004 :  05:22:11  Show Profile  Visit apl4eris's Homepage
We thoroughly enjoyed it when he opened for FB&TCs in Columbus (Little Brothers) this last summer. Extremely funny, interesting personality, he would also do well touring with The Residents.....hahhaa - look out for the pickle!

He also asked the crowd if they had any questions for him, the obvious Pixies questions arose, and after a bit of hemming and hawing, he obliged a multitude of requests to sing a bit of La La Love You.

Swedish Chef's "Dumpling of Wisdom": Øder tis moodle in der noggin tu smacken der ouchey und vinger-slingers ur to smacken-backen und fix de morkin, yøobetcha!

Edited by - apl4eris on 01/02/2004 05:23:00
Go to Top of Page

ShakeyShake
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1058 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2004 :  05:46:27  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by apl4eris

he obliged a multitude of requests to sing a bit of La La Love You.

Has he still got it?

My bone used to have a little machine,i must have misplaced it
Go to Top of Page

apl4eris
~ Abstract Brain ~

USA
4800 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2004 :  06:12:40  Show Profile  Visit apl4eris's Homepage
Yes, he's still got it - in spades.

Swedish Chef's "Dumpling of Wisdom": Øder tis moodle in der noggin tu smacken der ouchey und vinger-slingers ur to smacken-backen und fix de morkin, yøobetcha!
Go to Top of Page

pixie punk
> Teenager of the Year <

2923 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2004 :  08:29:00  Show Profile  Visit pixie punk's Homepage
A friend of mine saw him perform opening for Frank in Alabama.He got me an autograph that reads "Carlos,Astronomically Yours,David Lovering".I keep it inside my Pixies History Book(in Spanish)that I bought while working in Barcelona for three weeks,opening the Hard Rock Cafe.
Go to Top of Page

ShakeyShake
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1058 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2004 :  12:45:16  Show Profile
I wonder if you can book him for private parties?

Nice touch in the schedule section of his website
"David lovering will be falling to Earth very soon.

Maybe in a location near you.

Keep checking the skies..."

"I joined the Cult of Frank / 28:06:42:12"

Edited by - ShakeyShake on 01/03/2004 12:50:49
Go to Top of Page

iluvblackfrancis
- FB Fan -

Kazakhstan
25 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2004 :  15:53:38  Show Profile
I forgot to mention...when I saw David opening for Frank, he was asked if there would ever be a Pixies reunion. He said something like, "Frank, Kim and Joey have been asking me, but I'm a bit reluctant." I did think much of it at the time, but a few months later I heard about the rumors. Just thought that was interesting.

"Pissing a few moments ago I looked down at my penis affectionatly. Knowing it has been inside twice today makes me feel beautiful."

Richard Brautigan
Go to Top of Page

positivelySlime
- FB Fan -

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2004 :  14:41:48  Show Profile
One thing I gathered from seeing him open for Frank in Nashville last March is that he is a huge stoner. The guy must have made at least a dozen pot references during his act.

I enjoyed his act a lot. I thought it was pretty funny. Certainly not for everyone, but I liked it.
Go to Top of Page

George42
- FB Fan -

USA
188 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2004 :  09:57:51  Show Profile
i have seen lovering a couple times open for frank. that magic show is lame.....especially the second time around. he does something where he electrocutes a pickle (?)
Go to Top of Page

SpudBoy
= Cult of Ray =

Equatorial Guinea
649 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2004 :  10:56:53  Show Profile  Visit SpudBoy's Homepage
It's not magic! It's scientific phenomena! Much better when you realize that these are not illusions, but death defying electrical experiments. That and the smoking bass drum, which is just cool. But then, I used to watch Mister Wizard all the time too.

I looked for a cult to join, then decided to just play "Sink". Hey! I sank the LaBrea Tar Pits!
Go to Top of Page

Leah
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
314 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2004 :  01:09:32  Show Profile
I met him a coupla years back when he opened for the Breeders - hilarious and very convincing.

Dint get around to asking about a reunion, just raved about now all I had to do was meet Joey and Frank - in fact, hunting Joey is going to be my goal for this year - 2002 - Met Kim & David, 2003 - Met Charles, so it follows to make it my mission in 2004 to meet Joey -right???

Every choice human being strives instinctively for a citadel and a secrecy where he is saved from the crowd -
Nietzsche
Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2004 :  06:18:08  Show Profile
Wow, a magician...it was interesting to see him (and Joey) on the 'Gouge' doc. He played with Cracker a few years back...anyone seen Martinis live? Do they have an album out? Grant Lee Philips knows Lovering? Interesting!

CARL.
Go to Top of Page

prozacrat
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1186 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2004 :  12:41:57  Show Profile  Visit prozacrat's Homepage  Click to see prozacrat's MSN Messenger address
The Martinis have recorded an album. As far as its availability? I'm not sure. I think it can be tracked down online somewhere. I remember finding a web site from whence it could be ordered but that was a few years ago. And I also got to meet Mr. Lovering after he opened for FB&TCs. Great guy. Showed us how to convert a bass drum into an air cannon. I'll look into that Martinis album.

"And her head has no room."
Go to Top of Page

prozacrat
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1186 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2004 :  12:53:26  Show Profile  Visit prozacrat's Homepage  Click to see prozacrat's MSN Messenger address
The Martinis have recorded an album. As far as its availability? I'm not sure. I think it can be tracked down online somewhere. I remember finding a web site from whence it could be ordered but that was a few years ago. And I also got to meet Mr. Lovering after he opened for FB&TCs. Great guy. Showed us how to convert a bass drum into an air cannon. I'll look into that Martinis album.

"And her head has no room."
Go to Top of Page

apl4eris
~ Abstract Brain ~

USA
4800 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2004 :  21:33:01  Show Profile  Visit apl4eris's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by prozacrat

The Martinis have recorded an album. As far as its availability? I'm not sure. I think it can be tracked down online somewhere.
I was looking a while back, and their website said the cd was only available via mp3.com. That doesn't bode well, considering the current status of that lost cause. I also would like to know where else it might be found.

What da ya want for nothing? ... a rubber biscuit?
Go to Top of Page

VoVat
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

USA
9168 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2004 :  15:18:19  Show Profile  Visit VoVat's Homepage  Click to see VoVat's MSN Messenger address
When did David drum for Cracker?

-Nathan
And how does lemur's skin reflect the sea?
http://vovat.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2004 :  07:07:42  Show Profile
Some years ago, I believe.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly