New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

apl4eris
~ Abstract Brain ~

USA
4800 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2003 :  07:59:54  Show Profile  Visit apl4eris's Homepage
With the Mars probes traveling gazzilions of miles away and getting lost all the time, and the Robert Zubrin connection to FB, and all sorts of crazy-talk, I thought it was high time for us to join in the hubbub at the hootenanny.

Our last, and I thought very interesting, discussion of UFOs is archived here:
http://forum.frankblack.net/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=3823&SearchTerms=ufo
I don't think I ever remembered to post my accounts (and others' of people close to me). Maybe if there is any interest I'll do that here. Has anybody here had a "UFO" experience?

Another reason I bring this up again is that I just ran across this story about a Russian UFO that was actually pretty strange and remarkable:
http://www.pravda.us/science/19/94/378/11661_train.html

Then, there was this recent story about Russian aircraft technology being purchased by the US. http://english.pravda.ru/science/19/94/379/11658_developments.html

I'm still in the line of thinking that most accounts are probably either false, mistaken, or skunkworks technology. But I do hold a certain section of my brain open for the possibility of extra-terrestrial or otherwise (eg. time travel - which was another great archived topic) "UFOs". Regardless of its level of veracity, the UFO phenomenon is still fun to talk about....what do you guys think?

Another interesting link: www.ufocenter.com - you can file a report or search a US national database of accounts, by date, location, or type of sighting (cigar, triangle, disc, blimp, lights, etc.).

www.discordis.com//chef_icon3.jpg" border="0">Swedish Chef's "Dumpling of Wisdom": Øder tis moodle in der noggin tu smacken der ouchey und vinger-slingers ur to smacken-backen und fix de morkin, yøobetcha!

Frog in the Sand
-+ Le premiere frog +-

France
2715 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2003 :  08:32:27  Show Profile  Visit Frog in the Sand's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by apl4eris

Has anybody here had a "UFO" experience?

Many of us will probably see UFOs tomorrow night...

Seriously, do you know the exact origin of the expression "little green men" ?

Go to Top of Page

apl4eris
~ Abstract Brain ~

USA
4800 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2003 :  09:11:47  Show Profile  Visit apl4eris's Homepage
Not the exact origin...but they were some of the first depictions of "Martians", in illustrations, etc. More than likely the product of one person's creative imagination...someone on here may know where it originated, as I think it was a sci-fi writer that began it.

There was also the late 1800's hoax concerning "winged bat-men" observed on the surface of the moon. (There was actually a Smashing Pumpkins video from Mellon Collie that had versions of this creature in it.)

Swedish Chef's "Dumpling of Wisdom": Øder tis moodle in der noggin tu smacken der ouchey und vinger-slingers ur to smacken-backen und fix de morkin, yøobetcha!
Go to Top of Page

jediroller
* Dog in the Sand *

France
1718 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2003 :  09:49:48  Show Profile
quote:

Not the exact origin...but they were some of the first depictions of "Martians", in illustrations, etc. More than likely the product of one person's creative imagination...someone on here may know where it originated, as I think it was a sci-fi writer that began it.

You mean Fredric Brown (Martians Go Home)?
It may predate Brown tho. I should try and do some research on this. Intriguing question.

--
'Great, now you don't have stupid skin on your body…'
Go to Top of Page

Frog in the Sand
-+ Le premiere frog +-

France
2715 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2003 :  10:16:35  Show Profile  Visit Frog in the Sand's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by jediroller

quote:

You mean Fredric Brown (Martians Go Home)?
It may predate Brown tho. I should try and do some research on this. Intriguing question.

Yeah, I think the LGM myth may well originate from this book. Anyway, shortly after its publication in 1955, a Kentucky family saw a bunch of "little green men" in their backyard.

http://www.kentuckynewera.com/nie/oldkne4.htm

Happy New Year my friends.

Go to Top of Page

apl4eris
~ Abstract Brain ~

USA
4800 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2003 :  11:11:37  Show Profile  Visit apl4eris's Homepage
Hey, thanks for the link, Frog in the Sand - I wonder, is that where the term/color "Kelly Green" came from? arrrgh. Now I must find out.

On a somehow related "it's not easy being green" note, my little tree frog that dug his way out of our potted plant a week or so ago is dead. It was seriously devastating, and I have no idea what could have gone wrong. Anybody here know about tree frogs? His name was Hunter S. Thompson at first, then yesterday we decided to name him Spiny Norman. Maybe he didn't appreciate the new name?

He was well-stocked with crickets and moss and water and pineapple plants and a frog-light and everything, and there he was an hour ago, belly-up. :(

Swedish Chef's "Dumpling of Wisdom": Øder tis moodle in der noggin tu smacken der ouchey und vinger-slingers ur to smacken-backen und fix de morkin, yøobetcha!
Go to Top of Page

apl4eris
~ Abstract Brain ~

USA
4800 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2003 :  20:53:04  Show Profile  Visit apl4eris's Homepage
Sorry for the bummer post about our dead froggie.....but doesn't anybody have anything they want to say about UFOs? Pretty please?

Go to Top of Page

TheCroutonFuton
- Mr. Setlists -

USA
1728 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2003 :  21:48:44  Show Profile  Visit TheCroutonFuton's Homepage
I've seen a UFO before...and I'm being 100% honest.

I was only about 7 or 8 and I had a tree house in my back yard. All of the animals were going crazy and were making a lot of noise...so I went to the top of my tree house to look around and see what was going on. I look up and there's this weird disk type thing. It's spinning around in circles on it's axis while like spinning in an orbit around my house....very very weird. I was grey and the metal on it was quite strange...it had like...tinted windows all the way around it. It flew away once and I heard someone yell out "Aliens!" and then it came back and flew away again. I never saw it after that. I told my dad about it but he didn't believe me...not many people do, haha. It was quite amazing, though. And it was totally silent. That's when my whole aliens and UFO obsession began for me...haha

"Join the Cult of Gunn / And Then You'll Be Destined to be a Rock and Roll Star of Epical Proportions!"
Go to Top of Page

Owen
- FB Fan -

USA
165 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2003 :  06:01:33  Show Profile
So about these UFOs: I think "kelly green" probably has Irish origins. Let us know if you find anything.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000