New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

NimrodsSon
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1938 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2003 :  15:28:41  Show Profile
I have several lps that skip a lot on the 1st track and then play perfectly through the rest of the record. Even some brand new lps that I've just opened do this. Is there any particular reason that they do this or is it just a coincidence that this happens on about 6 of my records, most of which are brand new?

Join the Cult Of Gunn / and you'll never need a hair stylist again"

SpudBoy
= Cult of Ray =

Equatorial Guinea
649 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2003 :  15:34:55  Show Profile  Visit SpudBoy's Homepage
It might be your tracking arm gear...is it at the same time (45 seconds in, etc?). I have seen this when a tracking gear loses a tooth, and it jumps across the gap. Alternatively, you might just have some dust bunging it up til the tension gets to a certain point, which would be more intermittent...or you could just stop slapping the needle across the record like that.

I looked for a cult to join, then decided to just play "Sink". Hey! I sank the LaBrea Tar Pits!
Go to Top of Page

SpudBoy
= Cult of Ray =

Equatorial Guinea
649 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2003 :  15:35:31  Show Profile  Visit SpudBoy's Homepage
Oh yes - and have you tried cleaning those records?

I looked for a cult to join, then decided to just play "Sink". Hey! I sank the LaBrea Tar Pits!
Go to Top of Page

BLT
> Teenager of the Year <

South Sandwich Islands
4204 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2003 :  16:28:00  Show Profile
The records aren't warped, right?

You might want to check the tracking force and anti-skating. Make sure they are sync'ed. Your turntable owner's manual should detail this (if you still have it).

Edited by - BLT on 12/29/2003 16:30:01
Go to Top of Page

NimrodsSon
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1938 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2003 :  18:01:52  Show Profile
most of my records that do this are brand new and aren't warped or dusty. I clean my records very often too. I'll try to find my owner's manual and see what I can figure out

Join the Cult Of Gunn / and you'll never need a hair stylist again"
Go to Top of Page

BLT
> Teenager of the Year <

South Sandwich Islands
4204 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2003 :  21:08:17  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by NimrodsSon

most of my records that do this are brand new and aren't warped or dusty. I clean my records very often too. I'll try to find my owner's manual and see what I can figure out

I can recall having the anti-skating set incorrectly on a couple of my turntables-- the needle just walks over the grooves. I seem to remember it happening closer to the center of the discs, though. Good luck with it.

Last month I spent some time dicking around with the cartridge on mine. Something wasn't making good contact on the tone arm/cartridge connections. Tiny screws, nuts, and wires. Fun! All worth it though-- there's just no CD equivalent of the speaker thump you feel when the needle drops onto the record.
Go to Top of Page

your mamas a pretty thing
- FB Fan -

Canada
66 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2003 :  11:29:33  Show Profile
it's definately the anti-skating
absatively posolutely

Show Me Your Tears In The Sand
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked