Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

ramona
"FB Quote Mistress"

USA
3988 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2003 :  14:12:00  Show Profile  Visit ramona's Homepage
To go with the top albums thread...although again I can't think of that many that I loved. LOST IN TRANSLATION was my favorite by far. Yours?

In a world full of caterpillars, it takes balls to be a butterfly

STITCHES
= Cult of Ray =

USA
915 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2003 :  14:14:20  Show Profile
ROTK, Pirates of the Caribbean, and probably more to be added as I think of them

-----------------------
MAMASAYMAMASAMAMACOOSA
Go to Top of Page

Carolynanna
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Canada
6556 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2003 :  14:16:31  Show Profile
Pirates of the Caribean? Do you have a thing for Johnny Depp too?
Go to Top of Page

STITCHES
= Cult of Ray =

USA
915 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2003 :  14:21:42  Show Profile
sort of...in the same way that you want him, I want to be him

-----------------------
MAMASAYMAMASAMAMACOOSA
Go to Top of Page

ramona
"FB Quote Mistress"

USA
3988 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2003 :  14:26:09  Show Profile  Visit ramona's Homepage
When I saw Pirates, I swear everyone in the theater fell under the Spell of Johnny. What IS IT about that guy?

Forgot to also mention COLD MOUNTAIN which I just saw and really liked although it was SOOOOO sad. Everytime you developed the slightest attachment to a charecter *BAM!* they were killed off.
Go to Top of Page

Carolynanna

Canada
6556 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2003 :  14:31:14  Show Profile
I don't know Emily, ever since What's Eating Gilbert Grape....

What happened to all the big lord of the rings fans here?
Go to Top of Page

speedy_m
= Frankofile =

Canada
3581 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2003 :  14:40:12  Show Profile
ROTK was amazing. My mouth was agape throughout. Visually stunning, and quite moving as well.
Go to Top of Page

BLT
> Teenager of the Year <

South Sandwich Islands
4204 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2003 :  15:18:25  Show Profile
I concur with Ramona: Lost in Translation.
Go to Top of Page

cvanepps
= Cult of Ray =

USA
442 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2003 :  16:01:03  Show Profile
Sad to report that I haven't really seen too many "great" films this year. Busy with work and the music thing.

What I did see, I liked:
Hulk
Old School
ROTK
28 Days Later
Dark Blue

The ones I didn't like:
Anger Management
Daredevil
Terminator 3

Looking forward to American Splendor and Lost in Transation. Although, I think I'll break ranks and say that it seemed like ROTK ended 12 times before it actually ended, which was disappointing. I'd heard it has the best chance to win the Best Picture Oscar but now I hope it doesn't. Sorry fanboys. The good news is my opinion means exactly squat.

-= It's not easy to kidnap a fat man =-
http://christophervanepps.iuma.com
Go to Top of Page

ramona
"FB Quote Mistress"

USA
3988 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2003 :  17:00:25  Show Profile  Visit ramona's Homepage
Oh, I liked XMen 2 as well. I'm a dork - but it was a total popcorn movie and that was fun.

I really can't remember too many others that I saw. How sad.
Go to Top of Page

apl4eris
~ Abstract Brain ~

USA
4800 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2003 :  17:26:01  Show Profile  Visit apl4eris's Homepage
Hey! I liked X-Men 2 too! I thought it was even better than the first one. I think it's a great movie for what it is.

mmmm, popcorn. How in the world could I possibly still be hungry? I ate enough food this last week to last me til 2005.

Swedish Chef's "Dumpling of Wisdom": Øder tis moodle in der noggin tu smacken der ouchey und vinger-slingers ur to smacken-backen und fix de morkin, yøobetcha!
Go to Top of Page

Owen
- FB Fan -

USA
165 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2003 :  17:32:18  Show Profile
Here's everything I saw in order from best to worst:

Lost In Translation - again, clear favorite
Seabiscuit - very solid, weird editing but good story
Station Agent - subtle, interesting character study
Anger Management - I'm in the minority, but I thought this really worked
Matrix Reloaded - pretty cool
Swimming Pool - run of the mill indie movie with naked chick
Old School - funny moments
A Mighty Wind - boring, and I loved Best In Show and Spinal Tap, Waiting for Guffman not so much
Bringing Down The House - I watched this entire movie.

I really think it was a poor year for movies, but maybe I just picked some bad ones. I still need to see some films I think I'd like such as ROTK, City of God, American Splendor, Cold Mountain, 21 Grams, School of Rock, Kill Bill, and Bubba-Hotep.
Go to Top of Page

ramona
"FB Quote Mistress"

USA
3988 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2003 :  18:27:17  Show Profile  Visit ramona's Homepage
Eh, I didn't like Seabiscuit. It was so schmaltzy and the weird intercutting of the black and white documentary really fucked up the flow, in my opinion. It was a history lesson for stupid people who had never heard of The Depression, etc. Also, the bad backround music in EVERY SINGLE SCENE really made me tired. Cue the moaning banjo and tinkly piano of sadness...now! In conclusion: thanks, but no thanks.
Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2003 :  18:27:42  Show Profile
i honestly believe this has been the worst year for film in recent memory. i think everyone should boycott top 10 movie lists this year, in protest..

there have been a few good films:

LOST IN TRANSLATION
21 GRAMS
THE COOLER
KILL BILL, vol. I
OLD SCHOOL

but nothing truly stand-out, in my opinion.. last year, and 2001 at least had one or two truly great films.

there are a few i still want to see: BIG FISH, MONSTER, LORD OF THE RINGS, AMERICAN SPLENDOR, THE FOG OF WAR..

i'm seeing IN AMERICA tonight, semi-reluctantly.. but i have zero expectations.

saw THE HOUSE OF SAND AND FOG the other day which, despite a few gratuitous Jennifer Connelly ass shots (who i'm obsessed with), was a sad bore.. so it goes.

Edited by - floop on 12/29/2003 18:29:19
Go to Top of Page

NimrodsSon
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1938 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2003 :  19:06:31  Show Profile
hmm...I didn't see any movies that I really liked this year, but I still haven't seen ROTK so that will probably be my favorite

Join the Cult Of Gunn / and you'll never need a hair stylist again"
Go to Top of Page

NO.13Girl
- FB Fan -

USA
78 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2003 :  21:15:37  Show Profile  Visit NO.13Girl's Homepage  Click to see NO.13Girl's MSN Messenger address
Return of the King and Pirates of the Carribean are really the only ones I've seen that I would put on a 'best' list...though there were other movies I LIKED there weren't really any others that I thought highly of...

"I joined the Cult of Frank / Aren't I Special?"
Go to Top of Page

Dave Noisy
Minister of Chaos

Canada
4496 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2003 :  22:09:16  Show Profile  Visit Dave Noisy's Homepage
Liked:

28 Days Later
RotK
X2
School of Rock and Last Samuri were OK.

Best movie i watched this year was Magnolia. Wow.
Go to Top of Page

glacial906
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1738 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2003 :  22:57:23  Show Profile
Magnolia didn't really do it for me. Too deliberately artsy. I also don't like in movies when they throw in supernatural stuff (like the frogs) in the midst of what was up until then a non-supernatural movie. But it did have some good actors in there. I always like William H. Macy.

I'd have to agree with cvanepps, the ROTK seemed like a long ending, but I didn't like it any less for that...they apparently cut some scenes out of the movie to shorten it down, which I'm sure they hated to do, but you have to stop a 3 1/2 hour movie somewhere. I figured it would have a long ending, because it was such a grandiose story. The way they presented it was a little bit silly though...you think it's over and then *BAM* there's another ten minutes. Then you think that's over and *BAM* it strikes again. And so on and so forth about ten times...

I loved X2, because I love the X-Men comic books. The other two movies, "Daredevil" and "Hulk" were moderately good, better than last year's "Spider-Man" flick. (Though I will definitely be in the theatre for Spider-Man 2...)

28 Days Later was pretty good...of the two endings I'd have to say I prefer the "happier" one...the other one was boring; it's not that I don't like it just for the sheer fact of it's depressing. If it had been a better plot twist then maybe I would've liked it better, 'cause the happy ending with them finding out that the disease was confined to England was kind of silly...it really lessened the impact of the movie. But of the two it's sucks the least.

I'm disappointed that the LOTR trilogy is over, because I looked forward to them every Christmas for the past three years...maybe they'll do the Hobbit as a prequel or something.

One last thing: in ROTK, did anyone notice a marked similarity when they had the huge battle with the Elephants and the scene in "Empire Strikes Back" when they are fighting those big AT-AT Walkers on Hoth? I thought maybe the CGI guys for LOTR were giving a sort of "tribute" if you will to the special effects of movies from their past like the Star Wars films.

If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe.
Carl Sagan

Go to Top of Page

Stuart
- The Clopser -

China
2291 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2003 :  23:50:45  Show Profile  Visit Stuart's Homepage
Was K Pax made in 2003?? Thats a great movie, I'm reading the book at the moment which is just as good.

School of Rock, Jack Black is one funny mutha.... shut your mouth.

Not seen ROTK yet (seriously looking forward to seeing it, as I have no doubt it will be brilliant), but was disappointed with Matrix Reloaded, which wasn't anything special... not seen Revolutions yet. Didn't think Kill Bill was very good either, cool in parts but parts don't make a good film.

Who's the man that won't cop out when there's danger all about?

Edited by - Stuart on 12/29/2003 23:56:51
Go to Top of Page

glacial906
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1738 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2003 :  00:48:43  Show Profile
K Pax was made a couple of years ago, I think, because I've had the DVD for quite some time.

If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe.
Carl Sagan

Go to Top of Page

vilainde

Niue
7441 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2003 :  01:10:41  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage
Movies I liked this year:
Gangs Of New York
Mystic River
8 Mile
Narc
Kill Bill
Far From Heaven
ROTK

Movies I hated:
Desperado 2
Pirates Of The Caribbean
Hollywood Homicide

I seriously don't understand how anyone could enjoy watching Pirates. OK, Depp is great (he's amazing in Desperado 2 too) but the movie really sucks.

Denis

"I joined the cult of Cult of Frank/Turns out he's the stupidest person on Earth"
Go to Top of Page

TarTar
* Dog in the Sand *

1965 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2003 :  01:51:50  Show Profile
Though I only skimmed through this thread and may have missed someone mentioning this, I'm surprised no one has brought up the fact that the Coen Brothers put out a horribly bland film this year, Intolerable Cruelty. While Catherine Zeta Jones presence contributed greatly to the movie not being all that great (I just don't like her... too sophisticated and snobbish), the story was just plain boring and the film was mostly unimaginative. The entire section with the hitman was easily the best part of the film, and the only part I really remember now cuz the rest was forgettable. While I know Coen Brothers movies often take a few viewings to grasp the entirety of their genius, I usually walk away from Coen films the first time feeling like it was well worth my time watching the movie, especially since I know that future viewings will bring out so much more of the movie. I have no desire to view Intolerable Cruelty again.

Other films I saw this year that I liked were Kill Bill, School of Rock, and Pirates of the Carribean.

Alcohol or pot? VHS or Beta? Man or Astro-man?
Go to Top of Page

benji
> Teenager of the Year <

New Zealand
3426 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2003 :  01:58:51  Show Profile  Visit benji's Homepage
i only went to the movies twice this year.
terminator 3 - not a touch on the first 2, but the fire engne chase scene was pretty awesome
alien - an amazing film and even better to see on the big screen.

watched a fair few on dvd, the best by far being 'city of god' which was just an incredible film.
Go to Top of Page

apl4eris
~ Abstract Brain ~

USA
4800 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2003 :  05:26:22  Show Profile  Visit apl4eris's Homepage
Winged Migration and Bubba Hotep were the only movies we went to see this year (rented a gazillion others), and I would have to say they are 2 of the best this year.

We're pretty picky when we go to the theater, it's so expensive and usually a pain in the ass because of obnoxious audiences (Chicago was the worst for people being rude, yelling, smoking crack, pissing in the aisles, etc....), we haven't been anywhere but the local art-flick house in Columbus - ROTK may lure us to a larger venue this week....

Swedish Chef's "Dumpling of Wisdom": Øder tis moodle in der noggin tu smacken der ouchey und vinger-slingers ur to smacken-backen und fix de morkin, yøobetcha!
Go to Top of Page

The Holiday Son
= Quote Accumulator =

France
2002 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2003 :  16:03:05  Show Profile  Visit The Holiday Son's Homepage
My top 10 :

1- Kill Bill v1
- Catch me if you can
- Return of the King
4- Laputa
- Dolls
- Un couple épatant
- Zatoichi
8- Dogville
- cavale après la vie
10- Spy Kids 2
- X men 2
- Elephant
Go to Top of Page

ramona
"FB Quote Mistress"

USA
3988 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2003 :  16:52:12  Show Profile  Visit ramona's Homepage
Okay, not to be picky but Catch Me If You Can, 8 Mile, Far From Heaven and Gangs of New York all came out in 2002. Just goes to show that 2003 wasn't that fabulous. KPax is two years old, I think.
Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2003 :  17:28:34  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by ramona

Okay, not to be picky but Catch Me If You Can, 8 Mile, Far From Heaven and Gangs of New York all came out in 2002. Just goes to show that 2003 wasn't that fabulous. KPax is two years old, I think.

they release stuff later in other countries.. ie. France
Go to Top of Page

ramona
"FB Quote Mistress"

USA
3988 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2003 :  18:17:08  Show Profile  Visit ramona's Homepage
Oh, duh. Sorry. I will be smarter in the new year, I swear.

Go to Top of Page

NimrodsSon
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1938 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2003 :  18:55:59  Show Profile
Well I finally saw ROTK yesterday and it's definitely my #1 pick this year. It was absolutely amazing

Go to Top of Page

IceCream
= Quote Accumulator =

USA
1850 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2003 :  22:39:43  Show Profile  Visit IceCream's Homepage
I was just thinking that "boy, I haven't seen any movies from 2003" and then I remembered this film called Phone Booth. Intricately written. originally filmed. and brilliantly executed. One of the most interesting scripts ever. I may never be able to decide whether the ending was happy or sad.

Edited by - IceCream on 12/31/2003 22:43:57
Go to Top of Page

The Holiday Son
= Quote Accumulator =

France
2002 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2004 :  06:44:57  Show Profile  Visit The Holiday Son's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by floop

quote:
Originally posted by ramona

they release stuff later in other countries.. ie. France

yes.
That's why Lost in Translation is not in my top 10 !
And though I agree it has been a poor year, I still think the films I listed above are all really good and they were worth a top 10.
Go to Top of Page

NimrodsSon
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1938 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2004 :  10:27:29  Show Profile
Oh was 28 Days Later this year or last year? If it was this year then it's right up there with ROTK for me.

Go to Top of Page

BPrend
- FB Fan -

92 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2004 :  22:39:34  Show Profile
my best to worst
Lost In Translation
Kill Bill vol. 1
Big Fish
Bubba Ho-Tep
Return Of The King
28 Days Later
21 Grams
School Of Rock
X-Men 2
Shanghai Knights
T3
Matchstick Men
Pirates Of The Carribean
Once Upon A Time In Mexico
Finding Nemo
Secondhand Lions
Anger Management
Hulk
Runaway Jury
Matrix Revolutions
Matrix Reloaded
Texas Chainsaw Massacre
Freddy Vs. Jason
Peter Pan
League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen
Dumb And Dumberer
Holes
Legally Blonde 2
Go to Top of Page

Hordak
- FB Fan -

USA
180 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2004 :  23:35:51  Show Profile
"The Apple" with Jarlonna Winfried was definitely my number one movie of this year. There was some amazing cinematography in that flick. I've seen it three times already!
Go to Top of Page

Dave Noisy
Minister of Chaos

Canada
4496 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2004 :  12:35:13  Show Profile  Visit Dave Noisy's Homepage
Oh man, i wanna see Bubba Ho-Tep..!

Stuart - awesome you're reading the K-PAX books, i thought they were amazing, for reasons you'll prolly see... ;)
Go to Top of Page

glacial906
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1738 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2004 :  17:06:32  Show Profile
I did like K-Pax. I saw one of the books down at McKay's (a local used book store) Should've picked it up. Are they a series or is it essentially the plot of the movie serialized?

Carl Sagan

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000