Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

apl4eris
~ Abstract Brain ~

USA
4800 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2003 :  05:36:45  Show Profile  Visit apl4eris's Homepage
Yeah, I really really liked Polanski's "Repulsion", so much so that I used a simialar opening scene in my crappy Super-8 short film in college.....

but stay as far away as possible from his "Bitter Moon", if you don't want an early trip to Hell. You've been warned.

Swedish Chef's "Dumpling of Wisdom": Øder tis moodle in der noggin tu smacken der ouchey und vinger-slingers ur to smacken-backen und fix de morkin, yøobetcha!
Go to Top of Page

vilainde
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Niue
7441 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2003 :  06:05:56  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage
I like most of Polanski's movies. Well Frantic wasn't amazing, and I haven't seen Bitter Moon. But Repulsion is great, and I saw Rosemary's Baby a few weeks ago and it's awesome.

Denis

"I joined the cult of Cult of Frank/Turns out he's the stupidest person on Earth"
Go to Top of Page

cvanepps
= Cult of Ray =

USA
442 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2003 :  10:02:26  Show Profile
apl4eris, what was your problem with Bitter Moon? I really liked it. Sure, it was excessive and it's characters do some pretty despicable things but it's always honest: Polanski never compromises.

-= It's not easy to kidnap a fat man =-
http://christophervanepps.iuma.com
Go to Top of Page

apl4eris
~ Abstract Brain ~

USA
4800 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2003 :  10:56:18  Show Profile  Visit apl4eris's Homepage
Well, I don't know if I have a *problem* ;), but I just thought it was a terribly done movie - plot, acting, directing, dialogue, the whole kit 'n kaboodle.

Swedish Chef's "Dumpling of Wisdom": Øder tis moodle in der noggin tu smacken der ouchey und vinger-slingers ur to smacken-backen und fix de morkin, yøobetcha!
Go to Top of Page

cvanepps
= Cult of Ray =

USA
442 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2003 :  14:29:11  Show Profile
How about Death and the Maiden: here's another Polanski flick that was really great. I think Ben Kingsley is one of those actors that can always turn in a great performance, no matter what role he's given. Take Sexy Beast for example.

Look for him as the villan in Thunderbirds next year. I'm no fan of wooden puppet movies but I may actually see it for Mr. Kingsley's performance.

Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2003 :  14:36:36  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by cvanepps

How about Death and the Maiden: here's another Polanski flick that was really great. I think Ben Kingsley is one of those actors that can always turn in a great performance, no matter what role he's given. Take Sexy Beast for example.

Look for him as the villan in Thunderbirds next year. I'm no fan of wooden puppet movies but I may actually see it for Mr. Kingsley's performance.

i agree, Kingsley is stellar.. he was amazing in SEXY BEAST.. i actually got to "work with him" once on a film called TUCK EVERLASTING. i didn't really work with him, but i got to meet him once.. after seeing him in SEXY BEAST and then seeing him in person, he was pretty indimidating. though very polite.

i haven't seen DEATH AND THE MAIDEN.. i'll check it out.

he was great in HOUSE IN SAND AND FOG, as an individual performance.. but the film as a whole is a predictable snoozer.. even with Jennifer Connelly, the most beautiful woman on the planet (or at least tied with Salma Hayek and Monica Bellucci)
Go to Top of Page

Carolynanna

Canada
6556 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2003 :  14:44:53  Show Profile
quote:

Polanski never compromises.

Oh I wouldn't say never...
Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2003 :  14:53:28  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Carolynanna

quote:

Polanski never compromises.

Oh I wouldn't say never...

oh wouldn't you?
Go to Top of Page

Carolynanna

Canada
6556 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2003 :  15:27:52  Show Profile
nope I wouldn't.

Sorry guys someone has to make up for Stitches not being here today.
Go to Top of Page

Coldheartofstone
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
2025 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2003 :  15:31:11  Show Profile  Click to see Coldheartofstone's MSN Messenger address
awwww...hahahaha

She aches just like a woman, but she breaks just like a little girl.
Go to Top of Page

Carolynanna

Canada
6556 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2003 :  15:37:07  Show Profile
I could even talk dirty to you if ya like Alicia
Go to Top of Page

Coldheartofstone
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
2025 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2003 :  15:39:18  Show Profile  Click to see Coldheartofstone's MSN Messenger address
I think I might even like that better.... heheh
dirty dirty Carolynanna...

Go to Top of Page

Carolynanna

Canada
6556 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2003 :  15:51:42  Show Profile
Alright but I'd rather be called Dirty Maggie May ;)
Go to Top of Page

Coldheartofstone
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
2025 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2003 :  15:57:52  Show Profile  Click to see Coldheartofstone's MSN Messenger address
Whatever floats your boat...hahahaha...see how this can get addictive?

Go to Top of Page

Carolynanna

Canada
6556 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2003 :  16:07:47  Show Profile
ach I'm just messin around,
you can tell Stitches to stop sending me such threatening emails now;)
Go to Top of Page

Owen
- FB Fan -

USA
165 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2003 :  19:40:48  Show Profile
Hey, floop, my girlfriend is infatuated with the star of Tuck Everlasting. Is he as dreamy in person as he is on the screen? Do you have any signed 8x10s lying around? Or a lock of hair? Don't hold out on me!
Go to Top of Page

apl4eris
~ Abstract Brain ~

USA
4800 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2003 :  20:19:58  Show Profile  Visit apl4eris's Homepage
quote:
How about Death and the Maiden...
I agree - that is a great movie. It was so well-performed that it hit me even stronger than Closetland, which was a total mind-f**k.

Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2003 :  20:36:11  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Owen

Hey, floop, my girlfriend is infatuated with the star of Tuck Everlasting. Is he as dreamy in person as he is on the screen? Do you have any signed 8x10s lying around? Or a lock of hair? Don't hold out on me!

sorry, i don't. i didn't meet him actually.. one thing i know about him is that he is supposedly a hardcore Christian and has "handlers".. a la Nick Nolte. which is kind of odd. but there you go.
Go to Top of Page

apl4eris
~ Abstract Brain ~

USA
4800 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2003 :  20:41:44  Show Profile  Visit apl4eris's Homepage
floop - awwww man! You're missing your big chance at some real dough! Who hasta' know it's not his hair? <wink! wink! nudge-nudge!>

Go to Top of Page

Owen
- FB Fan -

USA
165 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2003 :  05:57:23  Show Profile
She would know the difference what with her keen sense of smell.

I have no idea what [airquotes]handlers[/airquotes] are but if their role is to get you fitted in obnoxious Hawaiian shirts, shitface you, dunk your head in some dude's toilet, and get your mugshot on every TV show, then I'd say they can't be too bad.
Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2003 :  11:37:42  Show Profile
handlers are kind of like bodyguards, but they're there more to keep you from getting into trouble, as opposed to protecting you..
Go to Top of Page

SpudBoy
= Cult of Ray =

Equatorial Guinea
649 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2003 :  16:01:13  Show Profile  Visit SpudBoy's Homepage
Based on Owen's description, I periodically have handlers of my own. Then they make sure I read the gospels in public places and in a very loud voice, and prior to bathing.

I looked for a cult to join, then decided to just play "Sink". Hey! I sank the LaBrea Tar Pits!
Go to Top of Page

MangyKid
- FB Fan -

170 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2003 :  18:59:12  Show Profile
Soylent Green is people, I want you to know.
Go to Top of Page

Stuart
- The Clopser -

China
2291 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2004 :  02:38:19  Show Profile  Visit Stuart's Homepage
Just watched a great movie worth mentionning here, it's called Once Were Warriors, and is a NZ film. Has anyone seen it? It's about a working class Maory family, where the father is a hard bastard wife beating alcoholic. Its about the family coping through life on the breadline with a violent father. It's a pretty violent film and at times is heart wrenchingly shocking, but certainly one of the best movies Ive seen for a while. The only person I knew in the film was the hard bastard wife beating father, he's played by the guy who plays Bobba Fetts old man in the last Star Wars movie. If you haven't seen this film then make sure you do as it is very good.

Who's the man that won't cop out when there's danger all about?
Go to Top of Page

benji
> Teenager of the Year <

New Zealand
3426 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2004 :  03:12:25  Show Profile  Visit benji's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Stuart

Just watched a great movie worth mentionning here, it's called Once Were Warriors, and is a NZ film. Has anyone seen it? It's about a working class Maory family, where the father is a hard bastard wife beating alcoholic. Its about the family coping through life on the breadline with a violent father. It's a pretty violent film and at times is heart wrenchingly shocking, but certainly one of the best movies Ive seen for a while. The only person I knew in the film was the hard bastard wife beating father, he's played by the guy who plays Bobba Fetts old man in the last Star Wars movie. If you haven't seen this film then make sure you do as it is very good.

yes!
once were warriors is a fantastic film.
we had to study it in high school - which is kinda bizarre considering how violent it is.

it is just so incredibly shocking that it is hard not to be affected by it in some way - invariably a bad way.

Jake Heke (played by Temurea Morrison) is one scary motherfucker.

The director, Lee Tamahori, directed the last James Bond film...talk about extremes.

"cook me some fucking eggs" became a catchcry of my generation.

Go to Top of Page

Bartholomew
= Cult of Ray =

USA
344 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2004 :  07:33:46  Show Profile
My faves:

Straight Story
You Can Count On Me
Spirited Away
Kiki's Delivery Service
The Dark Backward
It's A Wonderful Life
Rope
Hud
Jesus' Son
Nobody's Fool
What's Eating Gilbert Grape
Anniversary Party
Buffalo 66
Go to Top of Page

Bartholomew
= Cult of Ray =

USA
344 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2004 :  07:33:46  Show Profile
My faves:

Straight Story
You Can Count On Me
Spirited Away
Kiki's Delivery Service
The Dark Backward
It's A Wonderful Life
Rope
Hud
Jesus' Son
Nobody's Fool
What's Eating Gilbert Grape
Anniversary Party
Buffalo 66
Go to Top of Page

apl4eris
~ Abstract Brain ~

USA
4800 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2004 :  07:36:38  Show Profile  Visit apl4eris's Homepage
Oh yeah - forgot about Cool Hand Luke

Go to Top of Page

Carolynanna

Canada
6556 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2004 :  08:48:50  Show Profile
quote:

Hey Stu, this was actually a film that we studied in a sociology class. I actually cried with about 400 other people around. Its very harsh. What pissed me off the most was the reaction of most of the other students. They all said shit like Why didn't she just leave? Such ignorance.
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11687 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2004 :  10:17:23  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage
This is by no means a favourite movie or anything, but my sister's boyfriend rented Identity last night and I was expecting very little but it actually turned out to be quite good, especially given the genre it is. Not a straight up final destination/scream/other cheesy thriller at all. I just feel like I need to pass that along because the trailer/box promo actually hides the fact that there is quite a bit more going on. Feels like they undersold it so as not to give anything away.

Not amazing, but if you like thrillers, you'll probably dig it.

"Join the Cult of Frank / And you'll be enlightened"
Go to Top of Page

Carolynanna

Canada
6556 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2004 :  10:36:37  Show Profile
nevermind

Edited by - Carolynanna on 01/02/2004 10:39:49
Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2004 :  12:25:26  Show Profile
quote:
Hey Stu, this was actually a film that we studied in a sociology class. I actually cried with about 400 other people around. Its very harsh. What pissed me off the most was the reaction of most of the other students. They all said shit like Why didn't she just leave? Such ignorance.

why didn't she just leave though?

:)
Go to Top of Page

Carolynanna

Canada
6556 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2004 :  12:29:38  Show Profile
Arrrrrggggghhhh!!!
Go to Top of Page

Stuart
- The Clopser -

China
2291 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2004 :  17:46:10  Show Profile  Visit Stuart's Homepage
quote:

quote:

Yeah it's harsh isn't it.... I felt a little disturbed by the end of it myself, reminded me a little like Nil By Mouth, which is another shocker.

Anyone seen Bent??? I looked at the title and thought it would be a movie about a bent cop, or something like that. Obviously a bit surprised, and amused to see Mick Jagger dressed in drag in the opening scene, scenes of anal sex, and male full frontals. Not quite what I was expecting for the first thing on a Saturday morning. Still, looks like a pretty good movie so far. Stars Sir Ian McKellen, Clive Owen, Mick Jagger.

Edited by - Stuart on 01/02/2004 17:54:26
Go to Top of Page

Stuart
- The Clopser -

China
2291 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2004 :  17:50:42  Show Profile  Visit Stuart's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Cult_Of_Frank

This is by no means a favourite movie or anything, but my sister's boyfriend rented Identity last night and I was expecting very little but it actually turned out to be quite good, especially given the genre it is. Not a straight up final destination/scream/other cheesy thriller at all. I just feel like I need to pass that along because the trailer/box promo actually hides the fact that there is quite a bit more going on. Feels like they undersold it so as not to give anything away.

Not amazing, but if you like thrillers, you'll probably dig it.

"Join the Cult of Frank / And you'll be enlightened"

Ive got Identity, good movie..... John Cusack is a pretty good bet really. There are very few crap films that he's made, just like Jeff Bridges (but not as good as big Jeff). Well worth seeing.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000