New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mdisanto
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1140 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2003 :  20:22:22  Show Profile  Visit mdisanto's Homepage
ok im working on havalina becuase i NEED to know how to play it. I got most of it pretty good except the second chord!

it starts with C# maj, then goes to some altered form of it, i think i have the right notes, but i cant figure out what voicing it is. It also may be with a capo but i tried some stuff with no luck. this is what i have for the first 3 chords though in regular tuning/no capo

-4--4---2---
-6--4---2---
-6--6---2---
-6--7---4---
-4--4---4---
--------2---

please! lets get this song tabbed once and for all

-miked

mdisanto
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1140 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2003 :  20:27:25  Show Profile  Visit mdisanto's Homepage
ok, i figured out the chord actually, im gonna tab it now once and for all

-miked

Edited by - mdisanto on 12/13/2003 20:34:41
Go to Top of Page

ProverbialCereal
- FB TabMaster -

USA
2953 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2003 :  20:39:59  Show Profile
Cool. I tried once to figure it out but I stopped. I figured it used a capo but never tried figuring it out with one. Maybe I'll go check it out now and beat you to it. Nah..

"Join the Cult of Gunn / And you'll get an eighties Monster Ballad CD just for joining"
Go to Top of Page

mdisanto
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1140 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2003 :  21:49:48  Show Profile  Visit mdisanto's Homepage
i think the voicings i have listed sound best in the song so i would play them like that (example dont play Open G when you see G becuase it doesn't sound as good)

chords:
C: x32010
C7: x32310
Caug9: x32130
Cmin: x35543
Fmin: 133111
F: 133211
G: 355433
B: x24442
Amin: x02210
E: 022100

verse:

C(x4)     Caug9(x4)     Fmin(x4)                         |
C(x4)     Caug9(x4)     Fmin(x4)                         |
C(x4)     Caug9(x4)     Fmin(x4)     G(x4)               | x2

C(x4)     Caug9(x4)     Fmin(x4)
C(x4)     Caug9(x4)     Fmin(x4)     G(x4)

pre-chorus:

Cmin(x4)  B(x4)         Amin(x4)     F(x8)

chorus:

Hava-lina              |
C       Caug9     F       |x4

verse:

pre-chorus:

Cmin(x4)  B(x4)         Amin(x4)     F(x4)  --> (x4 instead of x8 this time)

chorus:

G              F
Walking in the breeze
       E             F 
on the plains of old Sedona, Arizona
          C       Caug9     F
Among the trees

outro:

C     Caug9     Fmin  | repeat a bunch of times

ending

C     C7        F     C

-miked

Edited by - mdisanto on 12/14/2003 12:56:47
Go to Top of Page

Little Black Francis
> Teenager of the Year <

3648 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2003 :  22:27:06  Show Profile
thank you
Go to Top of Page

ProverbialCereal
- FB TabMaster -

USA
2953 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2003 :  22:29:59  Show Profile
I don't have the song with me, but I thought I recall noticing a seventh chord somewhere.

Maybe the E is an E7?

"Join the Cult of Gunn / And you'll get an eighties Monster Ballad CD just for joining"
Go to Top of Page

mdisanto
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1140 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2003 :  22:57:19  Show Profile  Visit mdisanto's Homepage
doesnt sound like E7 to me, check with the song if you think so cause i could be wrong.

-miked
Go to Top of Page

Cookie
- FB Fan -

USA
82 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2003 :  06:57:05  Show Profile
I haven't tried tabbing this one, but I'll give a listen today and give my input. Frank is the master of the barre chord. Even when he's playing a simple E-shape, the strumming pattern and incidental open strings during chord changes amaze me. I think some of his most impressive rhythm work is contained in the first two FB&TC's albums.
Go to Top of Page

ProverbialCereal
- FB TabMaster -

USA
2953 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2003 :  10:05:27  Show Profile
Maybe it's not the E. I'll need to listen to the song. There might not be a seventh. Could be my imagination

Go to Top of Page

Cookie
- FB Fan -

USA
82 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2003 :  10:40:23  Show Profile
No, I think you're right--there is a C7 chord in the "outro verse," I believe. The verse at the end of the song is subtley different from the earlier verse. I think key to getting this to sound right is the lazy up-down strumming with open strings ringing briefly (B and G strings mostly) between chords. I think Frank may tune up 1/2 a step rather than use a capo, based on a guitar magazine interview I read (it's still on the web--I'll see if I can find it). Frank stated that he liked the subtle difference in timbre/tension produced by tuning up a 1/2 step (words to that effect).

I think the tab looks pretty good, but I'll see if I can figure out the outro bit.
Go to Top of Page

Cookie
- FB Fan -

USA
82 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2003 :  10:57:54  Show Profile
I found a site with a reference to the Musician Magazine article: http://membres.lycos.fr/alec/gear.html

It's a confusing quote--Frank talks about tuning up and capoing. Well, the end result is the same.
Go to Top of Page

mdisanto
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1140 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2003 :  12:27:44  Show Profile  Visit mdisanto's Homepage
i dont konw about this C7, it doesnt sound like C7 to me, especially if you just play the 7th with the song. If anything i think the subtleties of that verse are in whether its an F or Fmin chord because i still find it hard to tell. It may just be F5 and the lead part decides which harmony to play becuase during the intro verse the lead guitar defintily plays the minor 3rd at one point.

-miked
Go to Top of Page

Cookie
- FB Fan -

USA
82 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2003 :  12:30:21  Show Profile
I think this is the chorus/outro bit (parentheses indicate a "passing chord" played briefly):
Tuned up 1/2 step

X32010 Cmaj
(X300) Cadd2
X32310 C7
(X3000) C9
133211 Fmaj
(X3000) C9
X32010 Cmaj

Up-down strokes throughout (16th notes on the passing chords, 8th notes all the rest).

Anchor the ring finger on the fifth string, third fret throughout (this makes it much simpler and logical to play).

The verse part is played similarly, with slightly different chords (e.g., Fmin instead of Fmaj).

The Caug9 in mdisanto's original transcription might be: x30130 (?C9aug5). The low D note may not be played, muffled by the ring finger.

I'm still not sure what type of B chord and A chord is played (?X20012 and X02010, I think).

Try it out and tell me what you think.
Go to Top of Page

mdisanto
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1140 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2003 :  12:55:19  Show Profile  Visit mdisanto's Homepage
well Caug9 is meant to be an augmented C chord with a 9th, perhaps my notation of it is wrong, but i think thats the same thing youre trying to indicate with C9aug5

as for the B and A chord, are you talking about during the prechorus? i think its played like i have above, the tone of his guitar makes it hard to tell the voicing becuase its very trebblely(word?) so it sounds like it should be played higher

otherwise, i think you may be right about the outtro with the C7 , so ill update my tab to include that

-miked

Edited by - mdisanto on 12/14/2003 12:58:18
Go to Top of Page

Cookie
- FB Fan -

USA
82 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2003 :  14:15:04  Show Profile
Yes, that C chord (C9aug5/Caug9)is basically the same, but I think he might not play the E note on the D string, but rather mute it or play the D string open (X3X130). Based on the easiest way to finger the progression, with the ring finger anchored on the 3rd fret, it seems natural to mute the D string.

Yes, the B and A refer to the prechorus chords. Those are composite chords, summing together multiple guitar parts. I think there are at least 3 rhythm guitar tracks so it's confusing. I believe there is an acoustic and a doubled electric. The acoustic track may well be doubled also. The acoustic and electric strumming pattern is slightly different at points with the electric playing partial chords (particularly on the B and A chords where the top 3 thin/high strings may be played only). If you get a chance try playing the B to A progression using those chords I mentioned, but strum only the high E, B, and G strings (xxx012 and xxx010) in eighth notes, all downstrokes. That's probably what gives it the trebley sound.

After listening a bit more, I think the chorus (whenever Frank is singing Havalina) uses that C C7 Fmaj progression, whereas the verse parts use the C C9aug5 Fmin. Very cool how he plays the same root notes but changes from minor to major.
Go to Top of Page

django39
- FB Fan -

15 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2003 :  08:49:37  Show Profile
Hey, I gave it a go about a month ago (link below). Interesting about tuning everything up a 1/2 step - never thought of that. Gives you more options for nice full open chords. Makes my tab look a bit stupid I guess. If anything maybe it will give some ideas about the melody tab. Obviously if you're tuning up you have to play anything I wrote a fret lower b/c I tabbed it w/o doing that.

I agree w/ mdisanto that you have to be careful about playing F# or F#m throughout the verses - it's best if you can get a nice ringy open F#5 and let the lead guitar determine the tonality.. keeps the ear guessing as to WTF is happening.

One thing I think, is for the 'prechorus' section in mdisanto's post above; call me crazy but I think instead of the Am you play the C! Weird as that is...

C#m    C#m-5  C#      F#
x46654 xx6653 x4666x  244322

http://forum.frankblack.net/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3504

Edited by - django39 on 12/19/2003 09:39:57
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000