Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

hobobumsteak
- FB Fan -

USA
21 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2004 :  16:45:18  Show Profile
song by song opinion, since i'm bored to death at work...

Steak n sabre - good song to do acoustic, came off well and was encouraging
Wave of mutilation - ok, i've heard this song 4 billion times sound dull without a band
I've been all around this world - nice, mid-tempo whatever
Los angeles - not meant for a solo acoustic performance... well, besides the intro
Monkey gone to heaven - again, heard it too many times. he sang it great though.
Into the white - why?
Brackish boy - cool. at the end hementioned it was a true story
Horrible day- his newer songs translated well, like this one
Bullett - my favorite of the set. love how this song came off. heavy.
Robert onion - another really good song/version
Shrimp song - ok, pretty traditional song... nice ending

my friend grabbed his song list and it had about 30 songs on it such as headache and all my ghosts

Lawn cigar anyone?
Go to Top of Page

Brackish
- FB Fan -

142 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2004 :  18:10:17  Show Profile  Visit Brackish's Homepage
So I'm the only one who really liked the show? The banter was pretty entertaining, the songs sounded great, and I liked Roy Zimmerman a lot. Frank and Roy seemed like old friends having a great time together, it was nice to see.
Go to Top of Page

bobo plenty
- FB Fan -

USA
122 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2004 :  19:44:10  Show Profile  Visit bobo plenty's Homepage
Unfortunately, many (if not most) of the folks in the audience seemed drawn by the rumors of a Pixies reunion. (Two of my friend who have skipped his last few shows came because of this, fortunately they didn't make asses of themselves). Many of these folks kept rudely shouting out questions about the alleged reunion, which Frank thankfully ignored. I don't recall Frank's last solo acoustic show at Johnny Foley's drawing as large a crowd and hopefully these loudmouths will skip his next show.

As far as Roy Zimmerman, I don't necessarily agree with his politics but his songs were well crafted and humorous (I would rather see him again than many of the dozens of opening bands I've had to sit through in the past 18 years).

Was it my favorite Frank show, no, but even the worst Frank show is better than most of the crap being pushed by clear channel. Give him a break, he's not a dancing bear.

Go to Top of Page

Mickey
- FB Fan -

USA
207 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2004 :  19:49:53  Show Profile  Visit Mickey's Homepage
I'm not complaining about Frank at all. He, as always was great and Roy Zimmerman, while not my thing, wasn't all that bad. The crowd is what ruined it for me. Very rude and distracting.

-Mickey
Go to Top of Page

denial
- FB Fan -

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2004 :  00:22:46  Show Profile
you guys are nuts.
i loved frank AND roy, and thought they were hilarious together... loved all of the renditions of songs frank did and roys' perspective on things going on today in our society..
Go to Top of Page

denial
- FB Fan -

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2004 :  00:23:35  Show Profile
you guys are nuts.
i loved frank AND roy, and thought they were hilarious together... loved all of the renditions of songs frank did and roys' perspective on things going on today in our society..
Go to Top of Page

Whiskeyshoes
- FB Fan -

67 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2004 :  10:55:41  Show Profile
[quote]Originally posted by bobo plenty

Unfortunately, many (if not most) of the folks in the audience seemed drawn by the rumors of a Pixies reunion.

Untrue, I was there for FB and the show sucked. I am against a Pixies reunion (been-there, done-that). FB has too much talent and future songs to write than to waste his time on a "haz-been tour"

If he keeps this up, I'll have to dust off my Ronny James Dio cassettes!

WS
Go to Top of Page

BrendanT
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
907 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2004 :  13:05:03  Show Profile
Damn right Frank! Perfect outlook. Keep pressing forward.

Strummer-man
I had me a vision!

It's step, hip, step, pivot! Are you trying to piss-off the volcano?!
Go to Top of Page

hobobumsteak
- FB Fan -

USA
21 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2004 :  13:05:25  Show Profile
here here! death to the pixies reunion! they made great albums, but were they a great live band? not by a long shot. ok, i never saw them, but every live recording is pretty unexciting.

i totally agree that there FB has too many good songs in him to dick around playing 10-15 year old songs. whatever, maybe he should do it to make money so he can conitue to do exactly what he wants in the future without worring about commercial success.

Lawn cigar anyone?
Go to Top of Page

echo park
- FB Fan -

Saint Barthelemy
128 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2004 :  21:04:32  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by hobobumsteak

here here! death to the pixies reunion! they made great albums, but were they a great live band? not by a long shot. ok, i never saw them, but every live recording is pretty unexciting.

Hey! Now that you mention it, I've seen 4-6 pixies shows and I can say that the Catholics have been more consistently exciting. But there were two stand-out Pixies shows - one at the Rat in Boston (1986 or 7?) and a Doolittle show at the Palladium in L.A. - these shows made me decide to become a performing musician (Joey and Kim particularly -I was a budding bass player). But I have almost no memory of the shows I saw post-Bossanova...

eric
Go to Top of Page

humpy-wheeler
- FB Fan -

USA
37 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2004 :  22:49:06  Show Profile
Some of you seem to be taking this a little too seriously. The show was at a COMEDY CLUB.
Go to Top of Page

Joan
- FB Fan -

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2004 :  14:39:01  Show Profile  Visit Joan's Homepage
Hi, I'm Joan, Roy Zimmerman fan. I've been enjoying reading your comments -- both positive and negative -- about the Frank Black/Roy Zimmerman show in S.F. I live in L.A. and wasn't at the show, but I've seen FB & RZ share the stage twice before, at McCabe's in Santa Monica.

I wanted to wait until this thread had pretty much run it's course before posting, because I didn't want to intrude. But, I'd like to respond to a few of the things that were said.

First of all, bobo plenty, thanks for posting the setlist!

Whiskeyshoes commented on the "scripted banter" between Frank and Roy. I know that the banter wasn't scripted. Roy told me that the show was completely unrehearsed, except for the 1-minute opening song that Roy wrote called "So Much In Common," which they performed as a duet. I'm sure that Roy used some spoken material that he's used in other shows when introducing his songs, but any banter between Roy and Frank was spontaneous.

Whiskeyshoes also said that it was "especially painful to watch FB sitting there not performing, acting as if he appreciated and enjoyed RZ's shitck." Well, I can appreciate how you would find it painful to watch FB not performing, when you had come to see him. Fair enough. But, just for the record, FB wasn't pretending to enjoy Roy's work. Roy and FB are fans of each other's work. That's why they share the stage from time to time.

Roy and Frank came to know each other because Frank used to attend Roy's shows with his former band, The Foremen, in the early 90's. (The Foremen were a political comedy folk group, and Roy wrote all of their material.) When Roy noticed Frank sitting in the front row for several shows in a row, he introduced himself, and they began plotting to do a show together. They've been good friends and mutual fans for over ten years now. Brackish nailed it when he said, "Frank and Roy seemed like old friends having a great time together..."

I am sorry to read about some of the rude, noisy people in the audience. I find that comedy club audiences tend to behave in a more distracting way than music club audiences. Maybe it's the drink minimum. I bet you guys would have liked the show better if you could have seen FB and RZ at McCabe's instead of Cobb's.

Whiskeyshoes also said, "FB should think really hard if this is a wise career move for future shows." I'm pretty confident that FB isn't doing this as a career move. He's doing it for fun, and, I think, because he truly admires Roy's work. As Roy's fan, I greatly appreciate that Frank Black is willing to share the stage with Roy, and thereby help Roy reach a greater audience. When I've seen them play together at McCabe's, I've appreciated how open the audience has been to hearing Roy's songs, when they clearly came to see Frank, and I've found it heartening to see both performers go over equally well.

I hope it doesn't sound like I'm complaining. I'm not. I realize that I'm a guest here, and, as I mentioned, I've enjoyed reading all the comments -- positive, negative, and in between. It's interesting to see how people unfamiliar with Roy's work react to having it sorta thrown at them.

But... on to important things. There was a lot of pre-show talk about taping the show. Did anyone tape it? If so, I'd love to get a copy. I'll trade you a copy of the tape for a copy of Roy's CD, "Comic Sutra." (If you like it, you can listen to it, and if not, you can use it as a coaster or a Frisbee or something.)

Joan

Check out my Roy Zimmerman fansite:
http://www.roysongs.com/
Go to Top of Page

Whiskeyshoes
- FB Fan -

67 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2004 :  08:58:17  Show Profile
Joan,

I appreciate your love of Roy Zimmerman music. I must admit I originally responded to this thread out of frustration over a dissapointing show. I thought RZ would play a few songs and then let FB come on. Had I known it was a night of talk and music, I would have saved my money and time for a Catholics show.

It was especially frustrating to attend what was billed as a Q&A opportunity, turn into a session whereby no real questions were answered.

Finally, if FB enjoys RZ so much, let him attend RZ's shows and don't misguide us in future.

Thats it.

WS

Whiskeyshoes commented on the "scripted banter" between Frank and Roy. I know that the banter wasn't scripted. Roy told me that the show was completely unrehearsed, except for the 1-minute opening song that Roy wrote called "So Much In Common," which they performed as a duet. I'm sure that Roy used some spoken material that he's used in other shows when introducing his songs, but any banter between Roy and Frank was spontaneous.

Whiskeyshoes also said that it was "especially painful to watch FB sitting there not performing, acting as if he appreciated and enjoyed RZ's shitck." Well, I can appreciate how you would find it painful to watch FB not performing, when you had come to see him. Fair enough. But, just for the record, FB wasn't pretending to enjoy Roy's work. Roy and FB are fans of each other's work. That's why they share the stage from time to time.

Roy and Frank came to know each other because Frank used to attend Roy's shows with his former band, The Foremen, in the early 90's. (The Foremen were a political comedy folk group, and Roy wrote all of their material.) When Roy noticed Frank sitting in the front row for several shows in a row, he introduced himself, and they began plotting to do a show together. They've been good friends and mutual fans for over ten years now. Brackish nailed it when he said, "Frank and Roy seemed like old friends having a great time together..."

I am sorry to read about some of the rude, noisy people in the audience. I find that comedy club audiences tend to behave in a more distracting way than music club audiences. Maybe it's the drink minimum. I bet you guys would have liked the show better if you could have seen FB and RZ at McCabe's instead of Cobb's.

Whiskeyshoes also said, "FB should think really hard if this is a wise career move for future shows." I'm pretty confident that FB isn't doing this as a career move. He's doing it for fun, and, I think, because he truly admires Roy's work. As Roy's fan, I greatly appreciate that Frank Black is willing to share the stage with Roy, and thereby help Roy reach a greater audience. When I've seen them play together at McCabe's, I've appreciated how open the audience has been to hearing Roy's songs, when they clearly came to see Frank, and I've found it heartening to see both performers go over equally well.

I hope it doesn't sound like I'm complaining. I'm not. I realize that I'm a guest here, and, as I mentioned, I've enjoyed reading all the comments -- positive, negative, and in between. It's interesting to see how people unfamiliar with Roy's work react to having it sorta thrown at them.

But... on to important things. There was a lot of pre-show talk about taping the show. Did anyone tape it? If so, I'd love to get a copy. I'll trade you a copy of the tape for a copy of Roy's CD, "Comic Sutra." (If you like it, you can listen to it, and if not, you can use it as a coaster or a Frisbee or something.)

Joan

Check out my Roy Zimmerman fansite:
http://www.roysongs.com/
[/quote]
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000