Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

bobo plenty
- FB Fan -

USA
122 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2003 :  11:32:14  Show Profile  Visit bobo plenty's Homepage
Wednesday, January 7 8:00 PM (7:00 PM doors)
Intimate Evening With... featuring Frank Black & Roy Zimmerman / with Comedian Brian Malow
at Cobb's Comedy Club

Two truly exceptional performers, one amazing evening. Frank Black( formerly of "The Pixies" and now with "The Catholics") & Roy Zimmerman(formerly of "The Foremen") have both established themselves as true pioneers of their musical generation. Each with an eclectic library of music, both Frank and Roy have come to define the essence of "alternative" music. For one very special evening, they join together to play their music, field questions from the audience, and even take requests. This is a "must see" event for anyone who loves the experience of music. Comedian, Brian Malow will also be entertaining.
U.S.$20.00
http://www.cobbscomedyclub.com/calendar.html

Just got my tickets, see you there!

ramona
"FB Quote Mistress"

USA
3988 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2003 :  11:44:36  Show Profile  Visit ramona's Homepage
Gah! That sounds super cool. I'm always on the wrong side of the country. Stupid East Coast...
Go to Top of Page

JamesM
= Cult of Ray =

308 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2003 :  12:50:56  Show Profile
Frank's played with Zimmerman before; at McCabe's like right before Pistolero came out. Jesus Christ, I am a font of invaluable knowledge.

-Jimmy M.
Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2003 :  14:10:24  Show Profile
i'll be on hiatus from work then, and have friends i've been meaning to see in SF.

hmmm.
Go to Top of Page

mdisanto
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1140 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2003 :  14:37:24  Show Profile  Visit mdisanto's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by floop

i'll be on hiatus from work then, and have friends i've been meaning to see in SF.

hmmm.

i think youve seen frank enough for all of us OK!? haha

-miked
Go to Top of Page

El Barto
= Song DB Master =

USA
4020 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2003 :  16:50:20  Show Profile  Visit El Barto's Homepage
Added to the tour dates...thanks.

"I joined the Cult of Clops / If I were you, I'd sleep with one eye open."
Go to Top of Page

darwin
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

USA
5448 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2003 :  21:15:23  Show Profile
Just in time for my Christmas wish list.
Go to Top of Page

darwin
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

USA
5448 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2003 :  21:16:08  Show Profile
Just in time for my Christmas wish list.
Go to Top of Page

Whiskeyshoes
- FB Fan -

67 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2003 :  19:56:38  Show Profile
I called Cobb's tonite, the guy on the phone told me to tell my friends. The show is general admission with seating for 400 people. The acoustics at Cobbs is supposed to be awesome. Stan Ridgeway had a gig there a few weeks ago, that propbably inspired FB to book it. Besides coming back from Europe after living with his bandmates for several months, he probably needs a little room. Should be a good show, although I would prefer a kick ass Catholics session myself. Oh well, he 's coming back to give his favorite city (SF) a little something..

WS
Go to Top of Page

NimrodsSon
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1938 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2003 :  12:19:55  Show Profile
Since I live on the goddamn east coast also someone please be sure to record it

Join the Cult Of Gunn / and you'll never need a hair stylist again"
Go to Top of Page

slaveish
= Cult of Ray =

USA
269 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2004 :  17:49:42  Show Profile  Visit slaveish's Homepage
Is anyone driving up from L.A., who would like a travelling companion? (and gas money contributor)?
Go to Top of Page

NimrodsSon
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1938 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2004 :  22:28:01  Show Profile
Oh let me remind everyone
RECORD THE SHOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
sorry for the all caps but I really want to stress this

Go to Top of Page

hobobumsteak
- FB Fan -

USA
21 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2004 :  00:03:52  Show Profile
went to the david cross show tonight at cobb's and they gave out vouchers for five bucks off frank's wednesday show... how much does that rule? cobb's is a nice place. expensive, but nice...

my buddy will be snapping some pics. i'll try to remember to pass 'em along...

Lawn cigar anyone?
Go to Top of Page

Whiskeyshoes
- FB Fan -

67 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2004 :  11:10:43  Show Profile
Spoke to Cobb's personnel last night and they said they have a lot of tickets left. He assured me they will not sell out the 400 seat theater. Lets get the word out so FB makes some money on this and wants to do it in other cities. Any recommendations on questions for FB as this is an intimate Q&A show?

WS
Go to Top of Page

ramona
"FB Quote Mistress"

USA
3988 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2004 :  11:25:56  Show Profile  Visit ramona's Homepage
Please ask about the Catholics tour! Meaning, will there be one??? Thank you.

Edited by - ramona on 01/05/2004 11:26:34
Go to Top of Page

NimrodsSon
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1938 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2004 :  12:54:07  Show Profile
since every time someone asks if there will be a pixies reunion he just says, "It's possible". ask if there are any definite plans for a reunion tour this spring or something to that effect.
AND SINCE SOMEONE IS GOING TO RECORD THIS SHOW and it say's he'll be taking requests, someone just request something he either never plays live or hasn't played in a long time

Go to Top of Page

oddball
- FB Fan -

Germany
232 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2004 :  13:53:06  Show Profile
it would be great if someone could find out if the itunes single will be released in any other fashion...and then request the song preacher`s daughter!

Erik
Go to Top of Page

Steak n Sabre
* Dog in the Sand *

Uzbekistan
1013 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2004 :  10:28:16  Show Profile  Visit Steak n Sabre's Homepage
Maybe one of you going to the show tonight can pry some flying pig news from the King. Better yet, transcribe his Q&A segment and post it here...

The Cult of Frank: More Than You Think, For Less Than You Thought.
Go to Top of Page

Steak n Sabre
* Dog in the Sand *

Uzbekistan
1013 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2004 :  10:33:13  Show Profile  Visit Steak n Sabre's Homepage
Doh! Now I see your post NimrodsSon, you never know when he may have something to say.

Go to Top of Page

TheCroutonFuton
- Mr. Setlists -

USA
1728 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2004 :  10:35:50  Show Profile  Visit TheCroutonFuton's Homepage
Okay...I like Steak n Sabre's idea...but let's modify it a bit. One of you going to the show...get a little stuffed pig and put wings on it and throw it on-stage. He can't miss that. Then when you ask a question...ask "You said that when pigs fly you'd have a pixies reunion...well..the pig has flown." or something. I don't know. But record everything, it will be cool to hear him answering questions.

"Join the Cult of Gunn / And Then You'll Be Destined to be a Rock and Roll Star of Epical Proportions!"
Go to Top of Page

Steak n Sabre
* Dog in the Sand *

Uzbekistan
1013 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2004 :  11:53:13  Show Profile  Visit Steak n Sabre's Homepage
Ha! I'm not sure about tossing pigs at him, but buying him a Guinness is a proven winner.

Go to Top of Page

NimrodsSon
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1938 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2004 :  12:11:48  Show Profile
If I'm gonna make it through the night alive I'll need some confirmation that SOMEONE IS RECORDING THIS. So please post and say if you are recording.

Go to Top of Page

Whiskeyshoes
- FB Fan -

67 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2004 :  12:11:55  Show Profile
We'll be leaving to the show in about 5 hrs. There is a small Irish pub around the corner from Cobbs where we plan on pre-partying (maybe FB will show?). I wonder if Stan Ridgeway will pop in on the show?

Later,
WS
Go to Top of Page

TheCroutonFuton
- Mr. Setlists -

USA
1728 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2004 :  12:22:42  Show Profile  Visit TheCroutonFuton's Homepage
I feel the exact way you do, NimrodsSon...someone record it...a nice recording. please? haha

"Join the Cult of Gunn / And Then You'll Be Destined to be a Rock and Roll Star of Epical Proportions!"
Go to Top of Page

bobo plenty
- FB Fan -

USA
122 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2004 :  00:00:25  Show Profile  Visit bobo plenty's Homepage
Great show, Frank and Roy took turns reading questions (submitted by the audience) and singing songs. No, the Pixies reunion was neither confirmed nor denied. My question "Where do babies come from" was read but not answered. Roy has some pretty funny political songs, definitely worth checking out (he had a cd for sale at the show).

The setlist was as follows:

Duet: So much in common
FB Steak n sabre
RZ Pumping iron
FB Wave of mutilation
RZ Help me
FB I've been all around this world (yes, the song the grateful dead used to play)
FB Los angeles
RZ Patriot act
FB Monkey gone to heaven
RZ Psychedelic relic
FB Into the white
FB Brackish boy
RZ Jerry falwells god
FB Horrible day
RZ Who is the guy
FB Bullett
RZ My conservative girlfriend
FB Robert onion
RZ Driving while black
FB Goodbye lorraine
RZ I see a future
Duet Nimrod son + Roy song played at the same time, pretty funny shit
---------------------
RZ Beatles medley (irish style)
FB Shrimp song
Go to Top of Page

TheCroutonFuton
- Mr. Setlists -

USA
1728 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2004 :  00:04:35  Show Profile  Visit TheCroutonFuton's Homepage
hahaha "where do babies come from?" brilliant...I would have loved for him to answer that...aww..too bad

Go to Top of Page

hobobumsteak
- FB Fan -

USA
21 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2004 :  00:47:08  Show Profile
i respectufully and regtretfully gotta disagree with ya bobo... i certainly wouldn't describe the show as great. ok, i shoulda been prepared for something unusual, it being an acoutic show at a comedy club and all, but man... that was it a rough ride!

without dwelling on the negative, Frank did some great reditions of Horrible Day, Robert Onion and Bullet... and the atmosphere was pretty casual and light hearted. which is about all the evening was... just a quirky, silly... uh... fumbly fun?

no offence to mr. zimmermen, but i'll grow old just fine if i never sit through his shtick ever again... i found myself paying more attention the unbelievable annoying group of shitheels sitting behind me who constantly yapped through the entire show.

whatever, it was good to see frank in an entirely different context than i have or probably ever will see him.

Lawn cigar anyone?
Go to Top of Page

Mickey
- FB Fan -

USA
207 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2004 :  01:12:36  Show Profile  Visit Mickey's Homepage
I have seen Frank Black about twelve times now, and I must say this was the most dissapointing show I have seen. I loved the between song banter, Frank and Roy Zimmerman were very funny together, but Roy's songs were too much for me. I kind of turn off whenever someone is jamming their politics down my throat, liberal or conservative. Not my thing, but it was tolerable. In my opinion the thing that really killed the show was a women in the audience who kept shouting out questions about the Pixies getting back together. Frank clearly wasn't going to answer and looked kind of pissed and this women just didn't get it. After that it just felt like Frank was rushing to get off the stage. I was honestly amazed that he came back for an encore.

-Mickey
Go to Top of Page

echo park
- FB Fan -

Saint Barthelemy
128 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2004 :  02:48:54  Show Profile
quote:
[i] I wonder if Stan Ridgeway will pop in on the show?

Later,
WS

Hey, that's funny. I would say 'no'. Matter of fact Cynthia and I just got back from a long dinner with Stan and Pietra tonight! They told us what a nice place Cobb's is and that FB would be playing there, too. So I came over here to see when. I guess we missed the show, huh?

-eric
Go to Top of Page

NimrodsSon
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1938 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2004 :  03:32:18  Show Profile
So what other questions were asked besides about the pixies?

Go to Top of Page

hobobumsteak
- FB Fan -

USA
21 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2004 :  12:24:43  Show Profile
hmm...

"when did it all go wrong?" "how does it feel playing a cheesy comedy club?" "who cuts your hair?" "what are some of your musical inspirations?"
"do you prefer jam or jelly?" "what's your favorite simpsons character?"

pretty pressing questions... each of which was answered by the brainless twat sitting near me. she seemed distraught when frank said he doen't watch the simpsons. "oh my god! i can't believe it! how can he NOT watch the simpsons??"

people are dumb.

Lawn cigar anyone?
Go to Top of Page

Whiskeyshoes
- FB Fan -

67 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2004 :  13:18:33  Show Profile

"I have seen Frank Black about twelve times now, and I must say this was the most dissapointing show I have seen."

I agree with Micky....

I'll go to great lengths to see FB (with or w/o Catholics) but last night was the worst. The scripted banter between FB and RZ was unfunny, monotonous and, quite frankly, annoying. The questions we submitted to the table monkey before the show were obviously filtered for any substantive topics. It was especially painful to watch FB sitting there not performing acting as if he appreciated and enjoyed RZ's shtick.

FB should think really hard if this is a wise career move for future "shows".

WS
Go to Top of Page

Whiskeyshoes
- FB Fan -

67 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2004 :  13:22:33  Show Profile
" So I came over here to see when. I guess we missed the show, huh?

-eric
[/quote]"

Actually no, you didn't miss a thing. I would have preferred to be with your group eating barbequed iguana.
Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2004 :  13:43:04  Show Profile
that makes me feel better about missing it. though it would have been fun to go to SF anyway.
Go to Top of Page

NimrodsSon
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1938 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2004 :  14:26:15  Show Profile
Well that doesn't sound too good. Those are the worse questions I could possibly think of to ask him. But despite everything else, how did Frank do on his songs?

Go to Top of Page

mahaiwe
- FB Fan -

2 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2004 :  15:03:37  Show Profile
my opinion- frank was great if a bit subdued

agree roy was annoying and hard to sit through and frank playing there and like that makes no sense whatsoever

still worth it though

I enjoyed his acoustic opening for himself at slims last year more
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000