United Kingdom
1733 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2003 :  04:53:09  Show Profile
Again, I don't think that this has been posted yet:

Frank Black: Show Me Your Tears

Nothing-Wrong Rating: 9.0
Original Release: 2003 (SpinART)
Running Time: 41:36

I have recently been perplexed at my inability to review albums. I mean, really, what the fuck is my problem? For a while, I had just given up on the whole notion; maybe I was just all reviewed-out.

Apparently, however, I am not. And I owe it all to Frank Black.

I have come to the conclusion that every once in a while, I need to be inspired by an album Einspired to love or inspired to hate, it doesn't really matter. I cannot, however, forever wade in the mediocrity of five point and seven point albums. And look at all of the things I've had the misfortune to review recently: Fever to Tell, Whip it On, Hail to the Thief, and You are Free. And then there's the likes of the ones I haven't reviewed yet: Grandaddy's new sleeping pill, the Raveonettes second album of the year, Kaito U.K.'s artsy trash, and probably a bunch of other things that were just totally making me hate music.

But Frank Black, you see, Frank Black changed all that; he made an album I won't readily use as a coaster; fuck, he made an album I won't readily use as a spit bucket. He made a great album, and he woke me from my slumber. He got me writing again.

So then, first thing's first: the bluesy-folk-pop rock of Show me your Tears is a far cry from anything in the Pixies discography, at least in terms of general tone and such. Acoustics, pianos, banjos - none made more than the slightest of cameos in the Pixies' albums. But the sheer greatness of the songs quickly made me overlook this superficiality.

As a general statement, rarely has any album collected such amazing songs with such standard ingredients. Textbook solos inserted in textbook places, unwavering bass thumps counting out the beats of the most typical chord progressions - these are the main components of Show Me Your Tears. And the result - the compact flowing of melodic beauty served up with a steel twang - couldn't be better.

Show Me Your Tears starts off with the ass-kicking rocker of a song, "Nadine," which I more or less expected the whole album to sound like. Conversely, however, Nadine stands alone in terms of pure brutality. The bass pounds, the guitars screech, and the Black wails, all in a three-minute punch of calculated insanity. With "Everything New," Show Me Your Tears takes a step away from chaos, and paves the way for the ceaselessly lush melodies of the rest of itself. So majestic are the melodies of Blacks solo, that the abrasive tone of his electric does not even slightly intrude into the flowing path of his vocals, nor the chopping support of the piano.

"My Favorite Kiss"and "Jaina Blues" are both testaments to not only Black's flawless eye for a good pop song, but to his impeccable compositional timing. The short and endearing "My Favorite Kiss"doesn't succumb to overextension, ending at exactly the place demanded by such simplicity of structure; and just as the marginal pleasure of each bar of "Jaina Blues" is about to begin its descent, the song makes a drastic change with the guitar trumpeting an almost epic two-note melody. Make that four out of four good songs.

The album takes an eerie, somber turn with "New House of the Pope," but never loses an ounce of its superbly efficient delivery. Of the all the sounds made by guitars to ever be called a lick, the licks on this song are by far the best. The angular twists and turns of Black's guitar and the domineering bass, along with the supporting piano arrangements, make this one of the best songs on the album.

With "Horrible Day," the record makes a complete 180-degree melodic turn, delivering an instantly memorable vocal tune complimented by a catchy bass line. Halfway into the song, the music takes a back seat to the vocals, making the reentry of the guitar strumming twice as emotive upon its return. Three and half minutes after the song begins, the listener finds himself with an inexplicable ear-to-ear smile across his face, the remnants of one of the best choruses ever still running through his mind.

The beginning of the second half of the record, starting with "Massif Centrale," suffers from some blandness relative to the rest of the album. But shit, even fucking really good songs are bland relative to the rest of the album; tracks seven through nine are all good, delivering catchy choruses and hook-laden guitar structure. They just happen to be slightly less good is all.

The rest of Show Me Your Tears is good - just as good, even - in the same respects as the greatest parts of the album. The perfect use of the piano in "This Old Heartache," the tense solo of the same song, the succinct pop of "The Snake," the endearing chorus of "Coastline," and the poignant rubato of "Manitoba," are just highlights from a never- ending four-song-long period of perfection.

An average indie kid may find this album lacking in artistic ambition; but an average indie kid doesn't listen to music, he listens for hip innovation. While I would slightly agree that Show Me Your Tears is not notably innovative, I would also disagree: it's innovative in the sense that it's probably the first country folk pop rock record to totally kick ass. And as for ambition, well, when an album is by far one of the best of the whole year, who cares what it aimed for; great is great.

-JC
September 03

No man is an island, unless he is in the bath

bumblebeeboy2
> Teenager of the Year <

United Kingdom
2638 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2003 :  06:01:20  Show Profile  Click to see bumblebeeboy2's MSN Messenger address
quote:

An average indie kid may find this album lacking in artistic ambition; but an average indie kid doesn't listen to music, he listens for hip innovation. While I would slightly agree that Show Me Your Tears is not notably innovative, I would also disagree: it's innovative in the sense that it's probably the first country folk pop rock record to totally kick ass. And as for ambition, well, when an album is by far one of the best of the whole year, who cares what it aimed for; great is great.

Love that quote! Especially the bit about the average indie kid! Scumbags! :) Great review!

~~~
I'm flat out, you're so beautiful to look at when you cry. Freeze, don't move, you've been chosen as an extra in the movie adaptation of the sequal to your life. Shady Lane, everybody wants one, Shady Lane, everybody needs one.
Go to Top of Page

vilainde
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2003 :  06:09:09  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage
Thanks for the great reviews, 10%er. Made me want to listen to SMYT once more.

Denis

"I joined the Cult of Frank/Turns out he's the stupidest person on Earth"
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2003 :  06:42:33  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage
Yeah, this is by far the best review I've read to date. What is this, he's talking about the SONGS ON THE ALBUM instead of the Pixies reunion?! Inconceivable!

I love this quote, it sums up my feeling for the album in a nice tight line:

"Rarely has any album collected such amazing songs with such standard ingredients."

"Join the Cult of Frank / And you'll be enlightened"
Go to Top of Page

mdisanto
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1140 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2003 :  09:02:23  Show Profile  Visit mdisanto's Homepage
haha im surprised he hasnt been flamed for not finding massif centrale to be his favorite song!

-miked
Go to Top of Page

ramona
"FB Quote Mistress"

USA
3988 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2003 :  10:57:05  Show Profile  Visit ramona's Homepage
Yeah, about that - Massif Central is bland? Er...okay. Otherwise, lovely review. Thanks, Enquirer!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000