Pixies songs
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
5999 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2003 :  04:03:09  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address

am I the only one who doesn't enjoy Pixies songs in the FB shows?
I mean, they were the greatest band ever, but it isn't a thrill anymore or anything.

When I first saw FB 2 years ago I was shocked: Ohh my god, pixies songs!!! I went to see 2 shows and he played: Where is my mind, Dancing the manta ray, Gouge Away, Holiday Son, Monkey Gone the Heaven, Crackity Jones, Nimrod's Son and Mr.Grieves. I fuckin' liked those songs

This year (2 shows again) he played Cactus, Velouria, Caribou, Nimrod's Son and Monkey Gone to Heaven.

I really like his version of Cactus, and I damn myself for not hearing Velouria (had to leave the concert), but I heard a mp3 that was posted on a Yahoo Group and it sounded more than great.

But for some odd reason I really did not like Monkey Gone To Heaven and Nimrod's Son (it was great 2 years ago, you can hear it on the Lowlands Festival Bootleg) this year. I'm a hardcore FB fan, but not that hardcore that I hate it that FB plays pixies songs. Still there something wrong

The thing is that I heard Monkey Gone To Heaven too many times, I think the version with only 2 pedal steels would be nice, but they played it pretty straight over here and it's almost boring. I rather hear Headache, Los Angeles, San Antonio TX or St. Francis Damn Disaster.

Caribou was pretty ok, but nothing special, I don't know why I feel like this, I love the pixies more than anything, but when I attended the FB gigs this week, I really liked the FB songs and wanted more of them.

Maybe I need some therapy

"I joined the Culf of Frank/ And now I do not know what...to do"

Sheamus
= Cult of Ray =

Australia
345 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2003 :  05:37:39  Show Profile  Visit Sheamus's Homepage  Click to see Sheamus's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by billgoodman

am I the only one who doesn't enjoy Pixies songs in the FB shows?

Yes.

quote:
Maybe I need some therapy

Good idea.

You've been hanging out with Noisy lately havn't you Bill? Where is your mind? Way out there in the water, see it swimming ----->

Edited by - Sheamus on 11/29/2003 05:41:06
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
5999 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2003 :  08:52:26  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address
hanging out with Noisy?

what does that mean?

Go to Top of Page

misleadtheworld
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1222 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2003 :  09:26:39  Show Profile  Visit misleadtheworld's Homepage
Noisy as in Big Dave Noisy?

"Joan my Clerk of Trompe / And You'll be chick-a-be enlightened"
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
5999 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2003 :  10:34:35  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address
yeah, because I don't even live near him so I haven't been hanging out with him.

Go to Top of Page

Cheeseman1000

Iceland
8201 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2003 :  16:33:53  Show Profile  Visit Cheeseman1000's Homepage
Excuse him, he so crazy.

"What are we going to do tonight, Brain?"
"Same thing we do every night, Pinky: try to take over the world!"
Go to Top of Page

csmall09
- FB Fan -

32 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2003 :  05:19:36  Show Profile
Bill - personally, I don't think he should include ANY pixies songs in his sets. His solo / Catholics back catalogue is rich enough to fill 2-3 hours and MORE! It's perfectly obvious that quite a lot of people go to the shows to jump up and down when Pixies songs are played and just fold their arms when he plays anything else.
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
5999 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2003 :  08:38:33  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address
RIGHT! that's not exactly what I mean, but that's a negative side of it as well. And I would love to hear more solo stuff. It's been ten years, get over it, or wait for a reunion. On the other hand, I know that he sells more tickets this way and that he will play more concerts in Europe and US as a result of that.

Go to Top of Page

Etienne
- FB Fan -

Japan
115 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2003 :  09:20:20  Show Profile
I partly agree with you, Bill. I used to love the Pixies songs FB plays solo, especially because I found great that FB solo "acknowledged" his past of Pixies leader on stage (a few years ago, that was not the case at all). Today I am getting a little bit bored with these songs since FB always plays the same ones. I am also bored with people only appreciating these songs at the gigs (the description posted here above was pretty accurate).

For me it seems that FB does not "own" songs like Where is my mind ? any more. It has been covered so many times, been such a hit that less and less people are going to remember this song as a FB song...

Well, of course, the Pixies songs attract much more people to the gigs than the solo songs. No Pixies song would maybe result in no gig...

Etienne
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
5999 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2003 :  11:23:01  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by Etienne

I partly agree with you, Bill. I used to love the Pixies songs FB plays solo, especially because I found great that FB solo "acknowledged" his past of Pixies leader on stage (a few years ago, that was not the case at all). Today I am getting a little bit bored with these songs since FB always plays the same ones. I am also bored with people only appreciating these songs at the gigs

That's what I said in the melkweg thread, new pixies songs we need!

quote:
Well, of course, the Pixies songs attract much more people to the gigs than the solo songs. No Pixies song would maybe result in no gig...

Yeah, that's what I said in the post before yours

Go to Top of Page

worries have worries
- FB Fan -

France
54 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2003 :  14:23:42  Show Profile
i say no more pixie song. for the exact reasons that were well said above :
1 the song are old somewhat (that song where is my mind that is the fight club soundtrack,isn't ?)
2 there are so many songs that are NEVER played live, no need to say more
3 people that wake up at pixie song they are embarassing
but it's like the paul mccartney who plays always yesterday. frank says he likes the songs. but maybe there are these people who go see the show just to hear pixie song since it is well know that he does play it.
who would to a concert only to hear five songs, i wonder
i think frank stuff is always better than pixie stuff anyway.
Go to Top of Page

Retro Man
- FB Fan -

2 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2003 :  16:22:30  Show Profile
I'd rather he cut out the Pixies songs and played more of his "classic" solo tracks like Los Angeles, Ramona, Fu Manchu, Men In Black, Calistan, Cult of Ray etc etc. I was gutted he missed out these sort of songs on Monday night.
Save the Pixies songs for the re-union...
Go to Top of Page

benji
> Teenager of the Year <

New Zealand
3420 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2003 :  01:00:48  Show Profile  Visit benji's Homepage
I think it is totally legit for frank to play pixies songs.
why treat them any differently than any of his songs from his 'solo' career??
sure, he tends to play the same ones, but he also tends to play the same songs from most of his earlier 'solo' albums too.
whats the difference?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000