Posted - 11/28/2003 :  23:56:34  Show Profile  Visit mdisanto's Homepage

-miked
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2003 :  09:06:14  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage
Although I'm not voting, I'd like to put some comments/interpretations out there regarding the artwork from all of the artists. The first one, AdamWest's, I like the look of, although the colours are fairly dead. I was talking about it with Mike a bit, and we came to a consensus that perhaps the house is the Pixies' house (red and the same colour as the Pixies' text - also brick) and the UFO is beaming the inspiration to Frank and the Pixies'.

For #2, I think that the ticket stub is probably a sign of things to come. The Pixies were the ticket to FB's solo career. That's how I read it, but I'm not the artist. Or, if nothing else, it's something that you might not notice until you really look at the cover. I'm with Jim, and I think I'd like to work a little more with the text for 'Hey' if this were chosen.

#4 is a very gritty and eery photo of, I believe, the powerlines alongside a high-speed train. I don't think the powerlines are of any relevance other than that they certainly look imposing and scary (somehow?). And of course, the UFO, no one is safe. As for the text, I think that it fits pretty well and is suitably gritty, though maybe it would look better if "Hey" was a different font.

Finally, #5 I believe I was told is a muscular system (around the shoulder area?) and is also somewhat dark and eery. I would definitely rework the font for "Hey" although the colouration was perfect.

For those that have voted already or are about to vote, make sure you take some time to look at each of them and consider what they mean to you, how they look, how they fit with the Tribute title and concept, and so forth. Take some time and soak it in, I know that my opinion on at least one has changed as I thought about all the artwork a bit more. Judging from the comments, it seems that many of you have so far, and that's great...

Thankfully, I don't have to vote.

"Join the Cult of Frank / And you'll be enlightened"
Go to Top of Page

misleadtheworld
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1222 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2003 :  09:33:33  Show Profile  Visit misleadtheworld's Homepage
I was tempted to give an explaination of what i did, but i didnt think i would for the sake of filling space.

"Joan my Clerk of Trompe / And You'll be chick-a-be enlightened"
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2003 :  09:54:52  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage
Better to let everyone come up with their own interpretations, probably... and then they can discuss them and compare them. That's really all the my post is is speculation.

Edited by - Cult_Of_Frank on 11/29/2003 09:55:44
Go to Top of Page

miguel
- FB Fan -

USA
213 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2003 :  11:50:00  Show Profile  Visit miguel's Homepage
I know it doesn't matter too much at this point but, what I was trying to do with five was create something that isn't too clearly defined. More about the human condition rather than just one aspect of the pixies. Something with some mystery and lots of room for interpretation.

"... it's a pill, that gives worms... to exgirlfriends.. you just don't get it"
Go to Top of Page

Bryan Shepherd
- FB Fan -

USA
126 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2003 :  12:34:56  Show Profile  Visit Bryan Shepherd's Homepage
I'll be a traditionalist and vote for #2...It says "Hey! I play a musical instrument & I'm a big Pixies & FB&C fan". Basic? Maybe, but it touches me in a garage rock way. Plus it does look like the Larbalestier/Oliver work on the albums. #5 is a close second.

I'm the guy from wonderland...& you will never understand...
Go to Top of Page

Steak n Sabre
* Dog in the Sand *

Uzbekistan
1013 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2003 :  13:15:53  Show Profile  Visit Steak n Sabre's Homepage
A vote here for #2, very well done.

Flexibility, Service, Expertise: The Cult of Frank
Go to Top of Page

AdamWest
- FB Fan -

20 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2003 :  17:41:34  Show Profile  Visit AdamWest's Homepage
Hey there,

I just wanted to reply to the person asking whether or not I actually drew the art in #1. Yes, I drew it, it's actually a drawing of my house. I enjoy the style of Chris Ware and I agree the style I used on this is similar to him.

Since we're on the question of using or not using original material I figured I may bring this up to #2. I like the look of it and it fits the style of actual Pixies albums, however; did the artist who took the photo of this collage actually take that photo of the band? If they didn't then the rights to the band photo belong to the photographer that originally took it...and this cover is essentially a photo of someone else's photo. I don't know if this matters on a free, downloadable tribute album, but I figured if it was worth mentioning.

As for the FB.net on the cover, I let Dean know via email that I'm out of town for Thanksgiving break and would but that into the final version if it were chosen for the actual cover. I did have it on my original, but after retouching it and hastily uploading before I left...I simply forgot to turn on that layer when submitting the jpg.

-Ryan
Go to Top of Page

MMD
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
233 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2003 :  18:13:30  Show Profile
Definitly 2.
Go to Top of Page

Dave Noisy
Minister of Chaos

Canada
4496 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2003 :  23:19:23  Show Profile  Visit Dave Noisy's Homepage
Thanks for the update Adam! It'd be funny if he won, but then the font for FB.net was so ugly it ruined it..heheh

As for interpretations...crap..this is one area i really suck at.

#1 - It's the fall..(no leaves on the tree's...greyish sky..) The fall of all perceptions of life and the universe...as the Visitors shine on in.

Okay, i quit! hahahahahahhahahahahaa
Go to Top of Page

marcusb
= Cult of Ray =

USA
308 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2003 :  00:42:01  Show Profile

I once killed a boy with a Fender guitar
Go to Top of Page

Minky303
- FB Fan -

USA
66 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2003 :  02:23:40  Show Profile  Visit Minky303's Homepage
I like them all, #5 was my instant favorite (altho i'd like to see variations in the font for HEY!) .. To me its got a kind of campy 80s vibe, but twisted 80s, like the pixies were. and the pink/black contrast is so eye catching. love it.. guess it doesnt have a chance of winning at this point but i vote it anyway

they're all swank - good job everybody.
lisa marie
Go to Top of Page

Erebus
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1834 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2003 :  09:28:33  Show Profile
Go to Top of Page

theonecontender
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
565 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2003 :  11:17:45  Show Profile  Visit theonecontender's Homepage
#2 has my vote.
Go to Top of Page

PsychicTwin
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1772 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2003 :  12:58:16  Show Profile  Visit PsychicTwin's Homepage
All the cover submissions are great. And especially after reading Dean's post about interpretations, it made it all the more difficult to pick one over the others.

However, all things considered, I'll have to place my vote for #2.

http://psychictwin.tripod.com
Go to Top of Page

blackpurse
= Cult of Ray =

USA
299 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2003 :  13:39:48  Show Profile
#2 followed by #4.

"Sacred cows make the best burgers!"
Go to Top of Page

marcusb
= Cult of Ray =

USA
308 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2003 :  14:47:06  Show Profile
#5 looks like a husker du cover..

Go to Top of Page

Wowee_Zowee
- FB Fan -

Belgium
81 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2003 :  14:58:44  Show Profile  Visit Wowee_Zowee's Homepage
The first one, definitely!

Even if you're Michael or Janet: it's a sad, sad planet.
Go to Top of Page

PsychicTwin
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1772 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2003 :  18:00:48  Show Profile  Visit PsychicTwin's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by marcusb

#5 looks like a husker du cover..

Yeah, I was totally thinking the same thing! The color scheme reminded me of something Husker Du or the Wipers might have put out back in the early 80's.

http://psychictwin.tripod.com
Go to Top of Page

NimrodsSon
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1938 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2003 :  19:42:02  Show Profile

"I joined the cult of Frank / and...umm..."
Go to Top of Page

Jefrey
= Cult of Ray =

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2003 :  02:24:56  Show Profile  Visit Jefrey's Homepage
A tatooed tit, that say #2
Go to Top of Page

Kirk
= Cult of Ray =

USA
633 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2003 :  12:28:35  Show Profile
I fancy #2.

#1 seems it should include a South Park character, although nicely done.

-Kirk
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2003 :  15:09:40  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage
Well, it was a tight race, though I admit I'm rather shocked that number 4 didn't get many votes. Number 5 probably would've done better if it had been out of the gate sooner,

In the end, however, number 2 pulled ahead and is now the official artwork for the tribute album. Congrats to all the artists on a very excellent job and putting up a great presentation. You are all welcome - and invited - to complete your artwork for use as alternate unofficial album art if you'd like. I'll be in touch with you all via email.

Again, great work, it was a tough choice and I'm not sure how I would've voted myself. Also, thanks to all the people who voted for this, we had a pretty good turnout and a lot of interesting opinions.

Go to Top of Page

Cookie
- FB Fan -

USA
82 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2003 :  17:25:20  Show Profile
I like #4 most, but all are very good.

Cookie
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2003 :  19:10:38  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage
Oh yeah, voting closed just for everyone's reference.

Go to Top of Page

Dave Noisy
Minister of Chaos

Canada
4496 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2003 :  22:17:51  Show Profile  Visit Dave Noisy's Homepage
Woohoo - congrats!
Go to Top of Page

bumblebeeboy2
> Teenager of the Year <

United Kingdom
2638 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2003 :  04:33:18  Show Profile  Click to see bumblebeeboy2's MSN Messenger address
oh man! no.2 is going to be an arse for printing out on my printer... one of the reasons i chose no.1 was it would come out very nicely on people's inkjet printers, even in black and white, as I'm sure a lot of people are planning on printing it off so they can give 'proper' copies to people...

not that i'm saying no.2 isn't good, far from it, a lovely cover, just my two cents really... Congrats.

--
The universe is shaped exactly like the earth, if you go straight along enough, you'll end up where you were.
Go to Top of Page

vilainde
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2003 :  05:07:15  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by AdamWest

Hey there,

I just wanted to reply to the person asking whether or not I actually drew the art in #1. Yes, I drew it, it's actually a drawing of my house. I enjoy the style of Chris Ware and I agree the style I used on this is similar to him.

Well congrats again, I knew it had something to do with Ware, it definitely influenced your picture. Sorry it didn't win. After all, why couldn't there be various artworks for the tribute? Bands do it all the time, releasing albums with 2 or 3 different covers (though I can't find any examples right now).

Denis

"In the Cult of Frank/You don't even get backstage passes"
Go to Top of Page

Little Black Francis
> Teenager of the Year <

3648 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2003 :  07:47:36  Show Profile
#2 wins, it's the front cover

maybe #1 could be the artwork for the disc itself, #4 or 5 the back cover or something... just an idea
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2003 :  07:52:16  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage
I hope the others will take their art forward to completion, but the official art is chosen. It would look tremendously awful to try and blend all those styles together.

I'd like to have some alternate art downloadable this time. But we do need some official art as well.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000