New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ziggy
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
2452 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2003 :  11:28:33  Show Profile
The British music mag has published a special issue, which includes a half page on the Pixies classic Debaser, and Frank's comments on the song.

Maybe this should be in the Here Comes Your Man section, but Frank talks about his current band and how unlikely he is to play one of his best known songs.

'Took his plane to Columbia/So I could sell at my school"

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11687 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2003 :  12:20:22  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage
So are you planning to post the text of the article?!

"Join the Cult of Frank / And you'll be enlightened"
Go to Top of Page

vilainde
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Niue
7441 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2003 :  00:18:20  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage
1001 greatest singles? Man, they should have done a "10001 greatest singles" issue, and included Modern Talking in it.

Denis

"In the Cult of Frank/You don't even get backstage passes"
Go to Top of Page

ivandivel
= Cult of Ray =

394 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2003 :  03:36:59  Show Profile
brother brother louie....
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11687 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2003 :  06:47:59  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage
Heh, yeah, 1001 is a lot of singles. I didn't even notice the number. Still, it'd be nice to at least know where FB was ranked.

"Join the Cult of Frank / And you'll be enlightened"
Go to Top of Page

Peter Walker
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
189 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2003 :  08:12:30  Show Profile
If nobody posts it before then, I'll post the text of the article (and the one on Gigantic, which also appeared in the list) tomorrow.
Go to Top of Page

Peter Walker
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
189 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2003 :  02:09:27  Show Profile
OK, so nobody took the hint ;-)

Debaser was listed at number 514 (513 songs better than Debaser? God, they must be pretty good, can’t wait to discover them! Ha ha ha). And Frank is quoted as saying…..

“At some point early in my career, because I’d exposed myself to surrealist materials at college – in Avant Garde Films 302b – I decided I too was a surrealist. It was all about keeping yourself open, having that creative feeling inside, murky and undefined, and just letting it come out – whamo!

That’s why a lot of the Pixies songs – and I don’t mean this to sound too negative – are hit and miss in terms of their overall weight. It’s all valid, but let’s face it a song like Monkey Gone To Heaven is considered weightier than stuff like La La Love You; it’s just not as cool, but that’s OK, I was trying to be a surrealist and capture that freewheeling spirit, which I think Debaser has a lot of. Even the word ‘debaser’ isn’t a real word, which is what the song’s about – taking reality and messing with it. I’d never heard the word before, and it isn’t very poetic but I didn’t care. That was the word and no one seems to mind it.

I’m not really a surrealist any more, I still feel free but I’ve allowed myself to swing the other way and do some more straight-ahead stuff. I have kind of awkward feelings about Debaser. For some reason I don’t play it now with my band The Catholics. I have the right to, I wrote it, but there’s something about it that’s very Pixie-esque. At the moment it feels like it’s just for that band to do.

If you were to sum up all the ingredients of the Pixies, to talk about them in sweeping generalisations, then Debaser would be a good example. It has all the ingredients; it’s poppy but it’s also abrasive. I’m happy with Debaser, but there’s a certain shrillness with my vocals that I feel awkward about now. But I guess if the Pixies ever do a reunion – which I’ve no idea about – I’ll have to put those trepidations away and do the damn song.”

And then Q add:

File with: White Light/White Heat by the Velvet Underground, Jenny by stellastarr*

And Gigantic came in at 987, with a short article…..

What it does: Reminds you that Black Francis wasn’t the only talented Pixie. Kim Deal co-wrote Gigantic, and it’s a joy from the first notes of the bass line to the glorious shoutalong chorus. The seed-sowing highlight of Surfer Rosa.

Fact: Deal’s frustration at her lack of songwriting opportunities in the Pixies is well known, but she had the last laugh. After the band split up her next album, The Breeders’ Last Splash, sold more copies than any of the Pixies’ efforts.

File with: I Wanna Be Black by Lou Reed; Cannonball by The Breeders
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6118 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2003 :  02:29:10  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address
like music can only be measured with the number of copies that are sold.

and who has the last laugh?

Kim or Frank?
Who ended up worse?
(but that's a whole other discussion)

BTW
I like what FB is saying about debaser, and he doesn't deny a pixies reunion. He has no idea if it will happen and that's cool.

"I joined the Culf of Frank/ And now I do not know what...to do"
Go to Top of Page

Cheeseman1000

Iceland
8201 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2003 :  02:29:35  Show Profile  Visit Cheeseman1000's Homepage
Was Cannonball in there? What numero?

Also, I'm not just being an idiot thinking that Debaser only came out as a single to accompany DTTP, am I?
Only this makes it an odd choice for the list.

"What are we going to do tonight, Brain?"
"Same thing we do every night, Pinky: try to take over the world!"
Go to Top of Page

benji
> Teenager of the Year <

New Zealand
3426 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2003 :  03:03:53  Show Profile  Visit benji's Homepage
no cheeseman, u're right....only a DTTP single
and it is weird now that u've brought it up.
Go to Top of Page

Cheeseman1000

Iceland
8201 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2003 :  03:09:34  Show Profile  Visit Cheeseman1000's Homepage
I guess people came to appreciate the Pixies over time. I remember DTTP being a big thing when it was released.
If this chart was based on sales, then its understandable, otherwise I think Monkey or HCYM would've been more appropriate.
That said, Debaser is often seen as the definitive Pixies song, so I've just contradicted myself.
D'oh.

Go to Top of Page

benji
> Teenager of the Year <

New Zealand
3426 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2003 :  03:16:07  Show Profile  Visit benji's Homepage
i certainly wouldn't think the list would be based on sales.....
they certainly would have to do some creative statistics to get debaser up to wherever it is.

is there anyway of seeing the entire list?
i realise no-one's gunna type it up, but can it be found online anywhere? i had a quick look the the Q site, but it ain't anywhere there.
Go to Top of Page

benji
> Teenager of the Year <

New Zealand
3426 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2003 :  03:18:28  Show Profile  Visit benji's Homepage
well found the top 10 - has this been posted anywhere else on the site?
Q's top 10
1. U2 - One
2. Aretha Franklin - I Say a Little Prayer
3. Nirvana - Smells Like Teen Spirit
4. The Beatles - A Day in the Life
5. Elvis Presley - In the Ghetto
6. Eminem - My Name Is
7. Radiohead - Creep
8. Destiny's Child - Independent Women
9. Oasis - Live Forever
10. Ike and Tina Turner - River Deep Mountain High
Go to Top of Page

Peter Walker
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
189 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2003 :  03:18:31  Show Profile
The magazine listed 1001 greatest "songs"; whether they were singles or not wasn't the issue (although most of them were). It was basically compiled by Q's writers, although there's the odd "celebrity" section in there.

The whole "sales of Last Splash" thing is always brought up; like all these things, the list and the writing is pitched towards the widest possible audience; fans of individual bands contained therein will always feel it's got it wrong in some way.

Mind you, U2's "One" the greatest song of all time? ;-)
Go to Top of Page

Cheeseman1000

Iceland
8201 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2003 :  03:23:49  Show Profile  Visit Cheeseman1000's Homepage
I would agree with possibly #2-#5 but nothing else on there.
Oasis? Oasis?!
'Greatest songs' would explain Debaser better, maybe.

And I second, 'One' at #1?

Go to Top of Page

benji
> Teenager of the Year <

New Zealand
3426 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2003 :  04:21:52  Show Profile  Visit benji's Homepage
unrelated but funny:
http://www.spinner.co.nz/test.php?storynum=101

Q magazine release Top 100 Top 100 lists of All Time

LONDON: The music industry has come of age this week with Q magazine releasing their Top 100 Top 100 lists of all time. The list, which took 3 years to compile rated every Top 100 list ever printed to find the definitive best and most influential Top 100 list of ALL TIME.

Q editor Richard Millen told reporters that although the list will match fairly closely with public expectations, there were a number of surprises included in the list.

"We have not only tried to include the best or the most popular Top 100 lists in our chart but also the lists that we feel were most influential in influencing the development of Top 100 lists over the past 40 years."

"The 1992 Melody Maker Top 100 albums of 1992 is a good case in point. The list is technically not brilliant, including such albums as Groovie Train by the Farm and one of those crappy ones from Ned's Atomic Dustbin. Even so, the list was groundbreaking as it was the first to include the pivotal Nivarna album Nevermind in the top 10. As a result we rated it at number 18 in our list."

The list was assembled by the editors and writers at Q magazine along with a number of leading musicians and industry professionals. Some of the more famous contributors included Malcolm Mclaren, Noel Gallagher, Sporty Spice, Bob Geldof, Suggs and Gary Glitter.

Not all contributors were happy with the outcome however. Senior Q writer Gary Dance threatened to resign his post as senior reviewer at Q, after the Top 100 list of obscure 1986 fanzine Shazam failed to make it into the Top 20.

"The list was extremely influential on the development of Top 100 lists both in Britain and the United States." Dance told reporters. "This list was not only the first to rightly recognise that Pet Sounds should be in the Top 10, but also that Kraftwerk's Autobahn should be recognised as the groundbreaking album that it is. It also leaned heavily towards punk orientated records of the late 70's and resigned every Pink Floyd album, including Barrett era Floyd to the scrap heap. To have this heavily influential list consigned to number 32 is a travesty."

Other critics point to the predominance of lists created in the last ten years as an indication of the transitory nature of the list and indeed of lists in general. With this in mind only 8 of the top 50 Top 100 lists were published earlier than 1970 an era pivotal in the development of rock history.

Q editor Richard Millen acknowledged that there would always be disagreements, but contained that the real purpose of the list was to promote discussion of Top 100 lists in general.

"I truly believe that this list will expose Top 100 lists to a broader cross section of the population. And who knows perhaps one day this list will influence others to pick up their pens and pads and make a Top 100 Top 100 list of their own."

The Top 15 of the Q Magazine Top 100 Top 100 lists of All Time are published below.

1. Top 100 albums of this Century (Q Magazine, November 1999)
2. Top 100 songs of all time (Melody Maker, November 1998)
3. Top 100 Beatles songs of all Time (Q Magazine, May 2001)
4. Top 100 albums made under the influence of chemicals of All Time (Mojo, August 1997)
5. Top 100 albums of the 90's (NME, May 1999)
6. Top 100 Overdoses in Rock History (Melody Maker, June 1994) 7. Top 100 albums of this Century and All Time (Q Magazine, May 1986)
8. Top 100 US albums featuring a female voice of All Time (Rolling Stone, January 1976).
9. Village Voice Critics List (Village Voice, March 1982).
10. Top 100 albums featuring the word "Rock" in title of All Time (Q, May 1993)
11. Top 100 Greatest Hits albums of All Time (Q, October 1996)
12. Top 100 singles not featuring backing vocals by a member of the Rolling Stones or Beatles of All Time (Sounds, March 1982)
13. Top 100 albums not produced by a recording artist famous in his or her own right of All Time (Sounds, November 1982)
14. Top 100 albums of the 70's and 80's produced with a budget of $2m or less of All Time (Rip it Up, June 1989).
15. Top 100 albums made by either James Brown, Stevie Wonder BB King or Johny Cash (Mojo, June 1998).
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000