New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

andyn
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
169 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2003 :  09:19:51  Show Profile
Went to see David Bowie at the N.E.C. Birmingham (England) last night and he played a cover of "Cactus!" (Coincidentally, this was the song Frank opened his set with at Birmingham Academy last month.)I know Bowie's an FB admirer, but has he been doing Frank's stuff live for long?!

Carolynanna
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Canada
6556 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2003 :  09:22:04  Show Profile
What else did he play?
Just curious.
Go to Top of Page

ramona
"FB Quote Mistress"

USA
3988 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2003 :  09:22:40  Show Profile  Visit ramona's Homepage
He covered Cactus on his last CD - which I can't remember the name of right now. Duh....the one before REALITY. Sorry.
Go to Top of Page

Adnan_le_Terrible
* Dog in the Sand *

France
1973 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2003 :  09:25:01  Show Profile  Visit Adnan_le_Terrible's Homepage
Actually, the cover of Cactus is on the Bowie's latest album. And there is also a cover of Neil Young's "I've been waiting for you", which has previously been covered by the Pixies for a b-side (with Kim singing).

"I met a man/ he was a good man"
Go to Top of Page

ramona
"FB Quote Mistress"

USA
3988 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2003 :  09:28:23  Show Profile  Visit ramona's Homepage
No, his latest CD is REALITY. Cactus is on HEATHEN, (I remembered the name!) which also has I've Been Waiting for You.

Edited by - ramona on 11/21/2003 09:31:08
Go to Top of Page

andyn
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
169 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2003 :  09:35:07  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Carolynanna

What else did he play?
Just curious.

He also did Iggy's "Sister Midnight" but that was the only other cover version. Highlights for me were "All the young dudes" "Life On Mars" "Hang on to yourself" "Loving The Alien" "Ziggy" "Fantastic Voyage" "5 Years" and "Changes" but he did over 2 hours so there was plenty for everyone!
Go to Top of Page

andyn
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
169 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2003 :  09:37:46  Show Profile
Oh...and "Man Who Sold The World"....brilliant.
Go to Top of Page

Carolynanna

Canada
6556 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2003 :  09:42:23  Show Profile
I'd like to see him do all the young dudes.
He wrote it right, and just gave it away or what?

Makes me wonder about Satellite of Love.

Go to Top of Page

andyn
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
169 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2003 :  09:49:41  Show Profile
That's right - he gave it to Mott The Hoople, who he adnired but were on the point of splitting up after years of getting nowhere. (Apparently he offered them "Suffragette City" first, but they said they didn't like it!)
I know what you mean about SOL - Bowie and Ronson's fingerprints are all over that album.
Go to Top of Page

Carolynanna

Canada
6556 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2003 :  09:54:28  Show Profile
It works tho, its really really good ;)

Hey where's apl when we need her to explain all this stuff to us?
Go to Top of Page

Etienne
- FB Fan -

Japan
115 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2003 :  10:23:35  Show Profile
Hello

I saw David Bowie in Lyon last week. I knew he had covered Cactus but could not believe he would sing it live... That was even more surprising in that the set list looked like "all time Bowie's most famous songs" (The man who sold the world, Heroes, Under pressure, Live on Mars, and so on...).

Anyhow great concert and great Cactus version

Etienne
Go to Top of Page

cigarinthesky
- FB Fan -

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2003 :  10:29:34  Show Profile
Wow, sounds like a great show. He recently played here in California but I couldn't see hime because I'm broke right now. I like how Bowie's influence can be seen with all the great ones, including Iggy and Lou, and let's not forget THEIR godson, Mr. Thompson.

quote:
Originally posted by andyn

quote:

What else did he play?
Just curious.

He also did Iggy's "Sister Midnight" but that was the only other cover version. Highlights for me were "All the young dudes" "Life On Mars" "Hang on to yourself" "Loving The Alien" "Ziggy" "Fantastic Voyage" "5 Years" and "Changes" but he did over 2 hours so there was plenty for everyone!

Go to Top of Page

apl4eris
~ Abstract Brain ~

USA
4800 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2003 :  10:32:19  Show Profile  Visit apl4eris's Homepage
quote:

It works tho, its really really good ;)
Hey where's apl when we need her to explain all this stuff to us?
Ok. Alright. How many hail mary's do I gotta do to get you guys to leave me alone?
Go to Top of Page

Carolynanna

Canada
6556 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2003 :  10:38:52  Show Profile
Ah but you know so much!
What I like though, is that when you don't know something
you just say it, I can respect that.
I hate when people just make shit up anyway when they don't know.

Okay 3 hail marys and 1 our father....
Go to Top of Page

Carolynanna

Canada
6556 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2003 :  10:39:32  Show Profile
I'd like to hear Starman, that'd be grrrreat!
Go to Top of Page

apl4eris
~ Abstract Brain ~

USA
4800 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2003 :  10:43:01  Show Profile  Visit apl4eris's Homepage
Ok, so how do they go again? ;) No, seriously, I don't know. I went to catholic school my freshman year and we had to say them at the beginning and the end of each Spanish class, and every morning/afternoon. I just mouthed made-up stuff the whole time. Surley I will burn for all eternity.

Heck, this persecution is close enough....;)
Go to Top of Page

Carolynanna

Canada
6556 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2003 :  10:47:16  Show Profile
I'd like to hear what kind of made-up stuff you mouthed.
Sounds like it could potentially be very funny.
Go to Top of Page

apl4eris
~ Abstract Brain ~

USA
4800 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2003 :  11:44:49  Show Profile  Visit apl4eris's Homepage
quote:

I'd like to hear what kind of made-up stuff you mouthed.
Sounds like it could potentially be very funny.

I don't remember any of it, as it was '87/'88, and I spent the whole year in a fugue state. Catholic school girls can be very catty, not to mention the nun in my religion class, who didn't like me arguing with her about original sin. She actually used to tell girls that it was better to... well, do something with an inanimate object than to be with a boy. Visions of the movie Pink Floyd "The Wall" come to mind....

And now back to our regularly-scheduled thread. I apologize for the derailment, but a girl's gotta defend herself against wildly unjustified accusations.
Go to Top of Page

Jason
* Dog in the Sand *

1446 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2003 :  12:13:42  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by andyn

I know Bowie's an FB admirer, but has he been doing Frank's stuff live for long?!

Tin Machine has done "Debaser" on stage. I don't think they ever released any recordings of it though (studio or live).

This is according to that big French Pixies page called Alec Eiffel (I don't know if it exists anymore). I never saw it or heard it myself.
Go to Top of Page

sanchopanza
- FB Fan -

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2003 :  16:15:48  Show Profile
It's posted on the Frank Black FTP site. Good stuff.

Me voy, me voy, me voy...
Go to Top of Page

Scarla O
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
947 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2003 :  03:31:24  Show Profile  Visit Scarla O's Homepage

And the version of 'I've Been Waiting For You' on Heathen is very similar to the Pixies cover of the song.
Go to Top of Page

Ten Percenter
- FB Enquirer -

United Kingdom
1733 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2003 :  03:40:54  Show Profile
A review of Bowie's Manchester's gig in yesterday's Observer - ("pervy") Cactus is one of the highlights:

Molloy Woodcraft
Sunday November 23, 2003

David Bowie
MEN Arena, Manchester
The Point about Reality, David Bowie's new album, is made early on tonight as a cartoon outline of Bowie and band, projected on to the screen behind the stage as an overture, fades slowly into real video footage; the camera backs off to the New York skyline, then America, the world, space, the universe.

Reality indeed - and yet the term and the Dame don't seem to have much truck with each other. 'Wake up, Manchester, your grandad's here,' he shouts four numbers in and for some of those crowded round his little pontoon in front of the stalls, this may not be such an exaggeration of the gulf between their ages. But age has not bowed Bowie. He looks about 30 - trim and toned, with taut skin and all his own hair.

He's got himself an extraordinary band, too, the best he's taken on the road in years. Who would have believed Earl Slick and Gerry Leonard on guitars? Top that off with Mike Garson and Cat Russell on keys backed by the powerhouse of Gail Ann Dorsey on bass and Sterling Cambell on drums and you know you're on to a winner.

Bowie has said that Reality is 'built to play live', so perhaps it's a shame only four tracks are aired tonight, yet 'New Killer Star' and the title track, following on from the predictable 'Rebel Rebel', really heat up the arena.

The former is classic Bowie rock with close-harmony backings from Dorsey and Russell and a squall of guitars (a reminder of where Suede's Bernard Butler drew most of his inspiration from). The latter builds with booming toms and crashing cymbals to a great climax, topped off with an expertly messy, nasty solo from Slick.

Vocally, Bowie is on his best form in ages. I notice about halfway through that he has a couple of pedals at his feet with which he is controlling the levels on his voice, perhaps to get the full warmth of his lower register or boost his high notes - but he would sound great even without the adjustment.

'Fame', altogether funkier than on the record, is delivered in its full sneery, queenie glory, hand firmly on hip. 'China Girl' requires everything, from deep baritone in the early verses to high bellowing later on, and Bowie hits the peaks and troughs with ease.

He does a wonderful rendition of 'Loneliest Guy', another track from the new album, with a vibrato worthy of Elvis Costello. Equally winning is 'Loving the Alien', where he is accompanied only by Gerry Leonard triggering a looped motif and playing dry guitar. It shines with warmth and intensity.

Standout tracks? Gail Ann Dorsey's lead vocal and bass on 'Under Pressure' are a treat and the cover of the Pixies' pervy 'Cactus' is a nice touch. Bowie may not manage Black Francis's neurotic whine, but with Slick and Leonard on the case, it's like having two Joey Santiagos on stage.

Thankfully, the kitten heels have been ditched for 'Hello Spaceboy': the original muted drum'n'bass backing has been superseded by a banging house beat under overdriven guitars, and the track is transformed from a mid-Nineties frippery (best forgotten) to a high point of the set (hard to dismiss). On his knees in the spotlights atop the gantry which runs round the stage, Bowie glories in the noise.

'I'm Afraid of Americans' is equally forceful, building to an ear-splitting intensity as Cambell delivers a funky workout worthy of Sheila E circa Sign 'O' the Times. And 'Heroes', which closes the first set, is even more intense, rising from weedy guitar in the first verse to a monster sound as Earl Slick fills the air with that distinctive industrial drone.

As for criticisms, Garson's synth solo at the close of 'Ashes to Ashes' is toothache central and the guitars sound very Eighties on occasion. The vocal talents Bowie has regained since quitting smoking are sadly not equal to 'Life on Mars', which suffers so much from compensatory modulation that it's hardly worth the effort. 'Changes' is parodic, which is a shame, given that it's one of his best songs; and 'Five Years', with its ramshackle prognostication (a mix of 'Whiter Shade of Pale' and Bob Dylan's shambolic 'Dream' songs) was wrong, as it turned out, wasn't it? (Bizarrely, annoyingly, everyone else in the place seems to know every single mimsy word.) That said, the back catalogue is the only sign of age about Bowie and the gig is a testament to what looking after your health and looking up a few old mates from time to time can achieve. He closes with a perfect 'Ziggy Stardust'.

No man is an island, unless he is in the bath
Go to Top of Page

Cheeseman1000

Iceland
8201 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2003 :  03:44:54  Show Profile  Visit Cheeseman1000's Homepage
"Neurotic whine." Excellent.

"I have joined the Cult Of Frank/And I have dearly paid"

Go to Top of Page

Jefrey
= Cult of Ray =

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2003 :  13:29:47  Show Profile  Visit Jefrey's Homepage
Bowie and his band rehearsed over 50 songs for this tour, but according to setlists, 'Cactus' is one of the 6 or 7 songs he's played every single show.

Let's hope that continues when he hits the states - I got my tickets!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000