Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Useyourname
- FB Fan -

185 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2003 :  21:04:32  Show Profile
Ok so having enjoyed Show Me Your Tears, I was thinking about what the next album would be like. I'm curious what do you think the next album will be like and what do you hope the next album will be like.

Personally I would like frank to go back to multitracking for a little while and do a bunch of high energy rock songs like Pistolero. I'd love to have drew feldmen and santiago in on it too. I still feel chest pains when I listen to "I Switched You" and when I hear Jessie Moroney's sweet irish voice.

jimmy

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
6118 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2003 :  23:33:00  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address
maybe the time is right for a shift in his career
my bet is that the next album will be again with the catholics
and will be recorded live. But I think that the songs will be a little bit different, I see no reason to do a SMYT II. I doubt if it will be as good as SMYT I

"I joined the Culf of Frank/ And now I do not know what...to do"
Go to Top of Page

Cheeseman1000

Iceland
8201 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2003 :  02:16:10  Show Profile  Visit Cheeseman1000's Homepage
I think some of the rock would not be out of order here. He does it so well after all.

"I have joined the Cult Of Frank/And I have dearly paid"

Go to Top of Page

Frog in the Sand
-+ Le premiere frog +-

France
2715 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2003 :  03:16:06  Show Profile  Visit Frog in the Sand's Homepage
I just realized that Frank has enough rare/unreleased material in his pockets to release a new LP without having to record any new song...

The track listing should - more or less - look like this:

1. Sunny Sunny Mill Valley Groove Day 5'12
2. Humboldt County Massacre (SSMVGD version) 2'35
3. Sister Isabel (SSMVGD) 3'27
4. Le Cigare Volant (SSMVGD) 2'27
5. I Will Run After You (SSMVGD) 3'58
6. His Kingly Cave (SSMVGD) 3'09
7. Duke of Earl 2'41
8. Everyone Is Wrong (live - written by L. Workman) 3'17
9. Valley of Our Hope 4'41
10. Don't Clip Your Wings (live) 2'16

I probably forgot 3 or 4 songs (The Shrimp Song? Fare Thee Well? Dirty Old Town?) or more, so feel free to add them. When the listing is complete, Jim, Dave or Dean will send it to Frank, as a friendly suggestion. Sure the King will appreciate. Remember he has just divorced and moved to Oregon - he has probably other things to do now than record a new album...
Go to Top of Page

Cheeseman1000

Iceland
8201 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2003 :  03:19:42  Show Profile  Visit Cheeseman1000's Homepage
I'd love to see Dirty Old Town on a FB album, that is such a good song.
BTW, what is there to do in Oregon?

"I have joined the Cult Of Frank/And I have dearly paid"

Go to Top of Page

In her mirror
- FB Fan -

Spain
20 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2003 :  04:33:31  Show Profile
I'd like a mix between the country sound in SMYT and the "barocco" style of the first album. More instruments, more psychedelia in nice melodies with the pedal steel.

It's an idea...

just for your fingers
Go to Top of Page

jediroller
* Dog in the Sand *

France
1718 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2003 :  05:18:06  Show Profile
I would love a B-sides and rarities album one day... But I don't see it happen anytime soon.

As for the next proper album, I'll just trust the Man as usual. It worked fine so far.

--
"C'est la vie" whatever that means, la-de-da...
Go to Top of Page

Jason
* Dog in the Sand *

1446 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2003 :  06:07:56  Show Profile
In Seattle a few months ago, Frank told me that Jay-Z is producing the next album, if that gives you any idea of what it might be like.

When FB does get around to putting together Oddballs II, boy I hope that "Sunday Sunny Mill Valley Groove Day" is part of it. One of my favorite Catholics recordings. I've no CD burner but I have the MP3 from way back.
Go to Top of Page

mun chien andalusia
= Quote Accumulator =

Italy
2139 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2003 :  06:15:25  Show Profile  Visit mun chien andalusia's Homepage  Click to see mun chien andalusia's MSN Messenger address

in the king holds court thread he said that he was thinking about an oddballs 2.i don't think that ssmvgd will be ever officially released.personally i would like a box with all the cd singles like the smashing pumpkins one

join the cult of errol\and you can have a beer\without having to quit smoking
www.superabound.altervista.org
Go to Top of Page

Dallas
= Cult of Ray =

USA
725 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2003 :  06:50:40  Show Profile
I'll take whatever he gives us, but, I would love another rockandroll CD. I guess you could say I WANT ROCKNROLL, ROCKNROLL
Go to Top of Page

benwin
- FB Fan -

21 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2003 :  07:25:53  Show Profile
I hate to be cryptic and coy at the same time, but a source close to his kingship says the next album the Blackman records will be unlike any other album he has recorded. And, (s)he says too, that the next album he releases will be unlike any other album he has released, yet the next album he releases will not be the next album he records.
Go to Top of Page

apl4eris
~ Abstract Brain ~

USA
4800 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2003 :  07:30:01  Show Profile  Visit apl4eris's Homepage
Oh goody! a riddle!
Go to Top of Page

Thomas
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1615 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2003 :  09:26:48  Show Profile  Click to see Thomas's MSN Messenger address
b
quote:
Originally posted by benwin

I hate to be cryptic and coy at the same time, but a source close to his kingship says the next album the Blackman records will be unlike any other album he has recorded. And, (s)he says too, that the next album he releases will be unlike any other album he has released, yet the next album he releases will not be the next album he records.

FB is finally letting the great P Diddy mix his old music, and so the rumor of the bands name change must be true. I can't wait to hear a raptastic version of Big Red. Better known in these parts as the Hoo Hoo Song.
F. Bliddy and the Methodists

Thomas
"Our love is rice and beans and horses lard"
Go to Top of Page

Adnan_le_Terrible
* Dog in the Sand *

France
1973 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2003 :  09:39:50  Show Profile  Visit Adnan_le_Terrible's Homepage
No matter how the Man is called, he will forever remain the sex symbol he has always been. I love you Bliddy !

"I met a man/ he was a good man"
Go to Top of Page

Adnan_le_Terrible
* Dog in the Sand *

France
1973 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2003 :  09:50:20  Show Profile  Visit Adnan_le_Terrible's Homepage
By the way, as I see everybody (including me) liked Dirty Old Town, didn't you notice that SMYT sounds sometimes like a Pogues record, especially "When will hapiness find me again", which could be a very good Pogues song !!!

Blackus need not cover the Pogues, he can write good Pogues songs of his own...hope he won't destroy his liver by alcohol, I'd like my children to grow up and listen to FB....

Go to Top of Page

theonecontender
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
565 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2003 :  10:05:24  Show Profile  Visit theonecontender's Homepage
Just casting my vote for more ROCK and ROLL. However, I would probably prefer it he made something completely unique and spectacular.. but this is a very difficult task even for the man himself.
Go to Top of Page

benwin
- FB Fan -

21 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2003 :  11:06:13  Show Profile
Jane is taller than Joan and Joan is shorter than Jean. Jean looks up to Jane and Jasmine looks down on Joan. Jasmine and Jane never see eye to eye. Who's the tallest?

benwin
Go to Top of Page

Frog in the Sand
-+ Le premiere frog +-

France
2715 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2003 :  05:08:08  Show Profile  Visit Frog in the Sand's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Adnan_le_Terrible

By the way, as I see everybody (including me) liked Dirty Old Town, didn't you notice that SMYT sounds sometimes like a Pogues record, especially "When will hapiness find me again", which could be a very good Pogues song !!!

Blackus need not cover the Pogues, he can write good Pogues songs of his own...hope he won't destroy his liver by alcohol, I'd like my children to grow up and listen to FB....

Yeah, When Will Happiness and Goodbye Lorraine sound very much like Pogues songs. I know what I'm saying - I'm a long-time fan of both FB and Shane McGowan.

Btw, I recently bought the complete collection of the Pogues b-sides (2 cds, 42 tracks!) and I must say the quality of these little-known songs is really amazing.

Go to Top of Page

Adnan_le_Terrible
* Dog in the Sand *

France
1973 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2003 :  07:02:10  Show Profile  Visit Adnan_le_Terrible's Homepage
After a year spent in Sweden, I came back to France yesterday, and discovered that absolutely no magazine/newspaper has written about SMYT. Has it been released in France? And why didn't anybody talk about FB? I guess the journalists are very busy listening to the Strokes and the Raveonettes, but having a record of such a surprising quality as SMYT (for me, Frank's finest since TOTY) and not saying a single word about it...I am ashame of being French.

This message mainly concerns French FB fans and has nothing to do with the main topic, sorry.

Go to Top of Page

VoVat

USA
9168 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2003 :  16:54:26  Show Profile  Visit VoVat's Homepage  Click to see VoVat's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Jane is taller than Joan and Joan is shorter than Jean. Jean looks up to Jane and Jasmine looks down on Joan. Jasmine and Jane never see eye to eye. Who's the tallest?

Um...Shaq?

-Nathan
And how does lemur's skin reflect the sea?
http://vovat.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Dave Noisy
Minister of Chaos

Canada
4496 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2003 :  23:13:39  Show Profile  Visit Dave Noisy's Homepage
My sources also indicate something unexpected as well..

I'm unfamiliar with Jay-Z..what's the story there? (Or is this a joke?)

I'm with Jimmy, if i had any influence, i'd lock FB in a multi-track studio for a week. =)
Go to Top of Page

ivandivel
= Cult of Ray =

394 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2003 :  23:53:27  Show Profile
quote:

so what's the next release? A best of? Or a remix album by aphex twin? Or a live album? I hope he is not gonna bring strings and horns to his next recordings. Back to multitracking. I say Frank Black with a beatbox and Reaktor, uh!

Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6118 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2003 :  00:17:18  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address
Stay on two track Frank, and include some strings and horns. More Van Dyke Parks please!

Go to Top of Page

mun chien andalusia
= Quote Accumulator =

Italy
2139 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2003 :  00:20:02  Show Profile  Visit mun chien andalusia's Homepage  Click to see mun chien andalusia's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Noisy

My sources also indicate something unexpected as well..

I'm unfamiliar with Jay-Z..what's the story there? (Or is this a joke?)

I'm with Jimmy, if i had any influence, i'd lock FB in a multi-track studio for a week. =)

in what sense unexpected?unexpected like moby doing the production or unexpected like a back to toty style?

join the cult of errol\and you can have a beer\without having to quit smoking
www.superabound.altervista.org
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11687 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2003 :  06:29:24  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage
Dave, the Jay-Z thing is definitely a joke, and kudos to you for not knowing who that is. Seriously, you're better off.

As for the next album, my sources tell me that I should ask Dave and then slowly leak it out to you. :)

Myself, I'd say that he can stay on two track if he wants since SMYT proved that you can have at least 15 parts successfully and beautifully recorded at the same time. However, I think multitrack is a useful tool in developing the songs a bit further and given my love for solo Frank's stuff, I'd be more than happy to see him tinker with that again. But I won't hold my breath, 2-track seems to have become part of his image...

"Join the Cult of Frank / And you'll be enlightened"

Edited by - Cult_Of_Frank on 11/24/2003 07:18:42
Go to Top of Page

jediroller
* Dog in the Sand *

France
1718 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2003 :  06:59:20  Show Profile
Return of the theremin maybe?

--
"C'est la vie" whatever that means, la-de-da...
Go to Top of Page

cvanepps
= Cult of Ray =

USA
442 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2003 :  07:59:32  Show Profile
Here's my wishlist for the new FB&Cs record:

1. Multitrack recorded
2. Distortion on most guitars
3. driving, semi-uptempo beats
4. counter-melody innovations (as in the tune "Los Angeles")
5. At least one acrostic
6. Lyrics featuring some obscure event (anyone want to bet against this one?)
7. Each track will receive the same loving care that TOTY's and Yellow's received
8. 20 tracks, minimum

-= It's not easy to kidnap a fat man =-
http://christophervanepps.iuma.com
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11687 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2003 :  08:01:02  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage
9. Produced by Eric Drew Feldman.

Go to Top of Page

bedrock_barney
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
871 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2003 :  08:05:11  Show Profile
10. Hand delivered by Frank as a super promo special edition.

"I have been enslaved by the Cult of Ming / He is ever so merciless...unlike that nice Mr Black."
Go to Top of Page

cvanepps
= Cult of Ray =

USA
442 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2003 :  08:15:19  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Cult_Of_Frank

9. Produced by Eric Drew Feldman.

Yeah, I'm not so sure about that, COF. I wonder how much of a role Mr. Feldman has played in the band's transformation from a rock & roll band? I might give another producer a shot.

Anyone hear of Bill Laswell? These days, he does a lot of world music & jazz and whatnot but he produced the hell out of the 8th Public Image Limited record, the one called "Cassette" or "Album" or "Compact Disc" depending what format you had. He brought Johnny Rotten together with Steve Vai, Ginger Baker, and Ryuichi Sakamoto. Despite the mere 7 tracks, it remains one of my favorites because of Laswell.

-= It's not easy to kidnap a fat man =-
http://christophervanepps.iuma.com
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11687 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2003 :  08:27:34  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage
You really think Eric is part of the transition to a more country feel?

I think that he can play the country part, but he seems to jive with what Frank's vision for the track is. When it was more synth, there was Eric. When it's country, there's Eric. But he can still pull out the rock organ for a song like Jaina Blues.

Probably, Eric producing wouldn't mean a return to the more synth stuff from the solo, but I suspect this is still where his tastes lie. I haven't heard much from his latest project (knife & fork) though, so I can't say for certain. But I know that the songs he produced are among my favourites. I think you & I've discussed this before, though, and you said that you prefer more along the Pistolero/Brown whereas I prefer the first two records. So we're probably going after different goals...

Go to Top of Page

Frog in the Sand
-+ Le premiere frog +-

France
2715 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2003 :  08:46:10  Show Profile  Visit Frog in the Sand's Homepage
11. The first edition should include a giant poster of Kim Deal in a leopard swimsuit with the caption "Sorry all for the Pixies hoax", and an ultra-limited bonus cd for the most faithful fans - I mean, for French fans.

Speaking of poster... do you know this one?

Go to Top of Page

Johnny Yen
= Cult of Ray =

USA
408 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2003 :  08:54:58  Show Profile  Visit Johnny Yen's Homepage
Yup, that was a good show. My ears hurt til 4pm the next day.
Go to Top of Page

Adnan_le_Terrible
* Dog in the Sand *

France
1973 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2003 :  13:30:53  Show Profile  Visit Adnan_le_Terrible's Homepage
12. Joey Santiago as guest star. Oh, and I definitely support all this EDF-multitrack thing.

Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6118 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2003 :  15:08:13  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address
13.must have John the revelator on it

Go to Top of Page

Jason
* Dog in the Sand *

1446 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2003 :  15:45:03  Show Profile
quote:

yet the next album he releases will not be the next album he records.

Might mean another b-sides collection?

I don't think Frank will be abandoning the live-to-2-track recording (though I guess anything's possible). He's talked about wanting to record with strings before. Maybe he's found an economical way to do it.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000